when I first saw you

Mythology in the Modern World

a/n: Sorry guys.. I almost forgot to post this update here.. I am such a bad author.. I apologize sincerely



----

Being in Olympus is what Humans would only dream of: a blessed space where in gods and goddesses dwell in perfection: where immortality and beauty flows like the river of Styx. But this is the type of place where you get bored easily. Unlike on Earth, Olympus is the same, Day in, Day out. This made Zeus utterly bored and thus he found his way down to Earth and fiddle with the humans. Such a Casanova, Zeus became the World’s, and not to mention Olympus’, best player. He had swoon girls from different continents and this made his wife Hera, pretty much furious. One of which was the lovely Jaejoong.

When Zeus tried to find a way where Hera hadn’t already sealed and concealed, he stumbled upon an entrance and next thing he knew, he was inside Changdeokgung in Seoul. The almighty god of thunder was happy and relieved at the same time. He wandered inside the palace and a voice stopped him.

“Sir, are you lost?” He was greeted by a fair lady who introduced herself as Jaejoong. Star struck, Zeus stumbled on his words. But as a god himself, he could easily adapt to any language without difficulty.

“yunho.” He said. “Yunho?” jaejoong repeated. “my name.” Yunho said with a small smile. “ahhh.. “ Yunho smiled and Jaejoong helped him find the exit.

“I’m a student at the Seoul university majoring in history, this palace is very special. You do know that?” jaejoong said and Yunho shook his head. He is a god and can speak many different languages and know different things about a certain culture but he is a player and this is how he get his girls.

“I just got here, I lived in the US for quite some time, but I’m Korean.” Yunho told her. “I see.. then why don’t I help you understand our roots better.” Jaejoong suggested. Yunho smiled and agreed, he likes this particular girl and he felt that she was different from the rest, hope Hera doesn’t find out.

---ooo---

“Zeus?!?!”Hera was raging mad and was threatening to wreak havoc both in Olympus and Earth if Zeus doesn’t return. Athena and Venus were scared of their mom: she is a silent Atomic bomb ready to unleash all hate and anger to anyone who doesn’t go into her own accord. The two went to search the entire Olympus as Hermes sent word to Zeus brothers Poseidon and Hades. Poseidon knew his brother would be capable of finding a way to earth and decided to search there; he emerged from the east sea and on the shores of Mokpo where he met young lass by the name of Yoona.

“Athena.. use your mind and think of a plan to get a hold of Zeus.. or else we’ll all die.. I can’t let this pretty face get scorn by mother’s wrath.” Venus said to her sister, looking at herself in the mirror and admiring her beauty. “if you help me in searching rather than talking to than mirror about your vainness then maybe we could find.. ah….” Venus looked around and saw her sister disappear.

“Athena? Athena?!?!” Venus took few more steps and searched for her sister when she stepped into a hole and down she went: a dark passage unknown to her.

Venus opened her eyes and saw her sister in front of her admiring the interior of the structure, amazed and in awe of the beauty this place has.

“Leeteuk.” Venus gasped at the language she just spoke and Leeteuk turned around and smiled at her. “Heechul, we’re in Seoul.”

Heechul then hurriedly searched for a mirror and checked herself. She made sure to arrange her hair and checked that her eyes are not puffy. “what are you doing?”Leeteuk asked and Heechul turned to her. “We have to look good, there are a lot of hot guys in Seoul.” She said in full confidence. “how sure are you Chulie?” Leeteuk asked, eyebrow raised. “Goddess of Beauty knows where the pretty people are.. they are my people, they worship me..” Heechul proudly said to her sister. Leeteuk laughed sarcastically.

“but people are here are Christians and Catholics, they don’t believe in goddesses like us.” Leeteuk pointed out. “smarty pants.. whatever.. just so you know.. this is your chance to get married okay.. Your life in Olympus is a bore and you’re wasting your beauty and intelligence hiding in there and coming up with tactics and strategies”

Leeteuk thought to herself, is she really wasting her time just thinking and drawing up plans and not enjoying the splendor of life: her immortality would be useless if she remains cooped up and lonely.

“do you really think I’m pretty?’ she asked. “you lack confidence Teukie.. just because you’re the goddess of tactics doesn’t mean you’re not pretty.. well I’m still prettier than you!” Heechul said proudly which made Leeteuk laugh and hugged her sister. “thank you chulie..” She said sincerely.

“by the way, if anyone asked, we’re not sisters.” Heechul said. “why?” Leeteuk asked.

“how can we get boys if we are always clinging to each other?”Heechul said in a matter of factly tone.

“you’re just like dad!” Leeteuk rolled her eyes. “he’s not our dad anymore!’ Heechul said with a wide grin on her face.

The two laughed and explored the palace.

---ooo----

“why all of the sudden you wanted to go to Changdeokgung?” Kangin asked his roommate. “It’s a historical landmark here in Seoul, much like the Forbidden City or the Great Wall.” Hangeng said to his roommate.

He is Chinese and went to Seoul to study at a prestigious university. He is an architecture major , very talented if I must say, and he had earned a scholarship. Kangin is a business major in the same university and was assigned to help Hangeng adapt to the new country.

“let’s just go and pick up girls, it’s much more exciting. I know a place.” Kangin insisted, he’s known as a real player and he considers each girl as a toy, just flings no more, no less. “no, I don’t want to pick up girls. I have a certain level of standards for her to be my girlfriend and that doesn’t include being a flirt!”

So the two went to the palace to look at the structure and the beauty of the ancient architecture, Hangeng was utterly amazed with the lines and curves and all the details; from ceiling to floor. Kangin on the other hand was busy trying to pick up girls who visited the place.

“Kangin look at this. The design and how the ancient people did the roof structure is just amazing.”Hangeng was pointing to the beautiful roof structure but Kangin saw a different beauty and they are walking towards them.

“yes.. really pretty..” Kangin kept his eye on the girl with long brown wavy hair and very cute dimples. Hangeng noticed his roommate not paying attention and he in turn looked at where his roommate was looking at and saw the two girls approaching. He looked at Kangin and saw his mouth hanging open, not blinking and close to drooling, he tapped him a little hard.

“hey! Watch your drool, bearface!” Kangin came back to earth and quickly closed his mouth and wiped any drool he had, Hangeng laughed at him. Leeteuk and Heechul passed by their way and Heechul did her signature hair flip which never fails to attract boys. The two laughed and upon hearing Leeteuk’s voice, Kangin’s heart pounded double time and he knew he was in love.

“hyung… I think I’m in love.” Kangin said, with stars in his eyes. “with whom?” Hangeng asked, shuffling his notepad while they walked. “the girl with the absolute smile.” Hangeng looked at the girl with the smile and back to Kangin.

“she’ll be the nth girl Kangin..” Hangeng shook his head in disbelief. “no hyung, she’ll be my only girl” Kangin replied. “only? You had like a dozen girls already!” Hangeng elaborated. “they are just flings.. this is absolutely real.” Kangin was determined that she was the right girl for him.

“whatever.” Hangeng left him alone in the middle of the palace looking at the horizon where the girl disappeared to.

“Chulie, can you not flirt with every guy in this place.” Leeteuk asked her sister. “how can we get noticed and find boyfriends if I don’t do that” Heechul asked back. “I don’t care.” Leeteuk said in a serious tone.

Leeteuk and Heechul went to a nearby shop and ordered some sodafloats. They sat outside as Heechul wanted to see more guys and flirt with her eyes, leeteuk was just disgusted.

“you flirt too much.. how can you get a decent man?” Leeteuk commented. “I’m not looking for someone to spend forever.. I’m looking for fun..” Leeteuk rolled her eyes and flipped her hair before taking a sip of her drink. Kangin spotted her and promised he saw stars when she flipped her hair like that.

“hyung.. she’s over there.” Kangin pointed at the two girls by the window and Hangeng merely patted Kangin by the shoulders. "if you want her then use your skills.. you’re used to that right?’ Kangin looked at him and with puppy eyes he answered hangeng, almost begging him to do it for him.

“hyung.. this is different.. what I do.. when I pick up girls, I’m very confident because I have nothing to lose but this time, I can lose my heart, my happiness, my everything.” Kangin tried to make a point. “dude, you just saw her.. you don’t even know her!” Hangeng said, a chuckle left his mouth. “that’s the point.. I know that I love her before I even met her.. we’re meant to be together.” Kangin was very convinced that the girl was for him.

“then make a move, if you love her that much then just go and tell her.”Hangeng said plainly. “I can’t.. she’ll reject me’ Hangeng was surprised to see Kangin low and without a single drop of confidence in his blood.

“you give up even before the battle started?” Hangeng asked. “hyung.. how can you learn all those complicated Korean words?” Kangin asked, feeling a little stupid at the moment.

“I read Kangin” Hangeng said while Kangin sighed and sat on a bench and just gaze upon the girl he loves but will never have in a million years.

“just make a move.. you’ll never know unless you try” Hangeng suggested. "told you already.. “ Kangin Replied. “answered you already” Hangeng gave up and left the roommate and went inside the shop to get some drinks. Heechul noticed him and her heart went super fast.

“Teukie.. that guy.. he’s the one.” Heechul was beyond excited. “Chulie, you say that to every boy you meet.” Leeteuk rolled her eyes. “no.. this is so different.. he’s the one..” Heechul insisted. “then turn on your charm..” Leeteuk plainly said and Heechul sulked.

“I can’t” She gloomily replied.“Why not?” Leeteuk asked and Heechul sighed before answering. “because I lose every charm I have when I fall in love. It seems that the downfall of my powers is that I can’t use them on the person I love. I’m just useless against Cupid’s arrows.”

Leeteuk pitied her sister and she never knew this side of Heechul. She always viewd her as the goddess of flirting, she had an easy life being chased and praised by guys, being admired by millions for her beauty and being loved for being the goddess of love.

“Excuse me, can my friend and I join you ladies?” The two looked at the person who asked and they gasped at what they saw, it was Heechul’s love. Heechul was frozen and Leeteuk pitied her more. She smiled and motioned for him to take a seat.“sure, you may join us.”

Hangeng smiled and Heechul promised she had seen Cupid’s arrows being shot straight to her heart, she blushed. Hangeng nodded and motioned for Kangin to come to the table before he sat down on one of the chairs, one that is beside Heechul, her heart skipped a beat. Kangin half walked, half ran to the table and bowed low to everyone.

“Good day, I’m Kangin.” He shook Heechul’s hand and then Leeteuk. He sat beside Leeteuk and his face was flushed. The girls introduced themselves and said that they are best friends visiting Seoul from Pusan.

“I’m sorry, I haven’t introduced myself, I’m Hangeng. I’m from Beijing and I only came to Seoul to study architecture.” Hangeng shook the girl’s hands and Heechul’s face went from pink to scarlet.

“You study building design?” Leeteuk asked and Hangeng took a sip of his milkshake before answering. “well yes, I’m fascinated with ancient architecture. The designs were intricate and the quality of work is beyond words.” Hangeng replied. “really? So is that the reason why you’re here in Changdeokgong?” Hangeng nodded and the two continued their academic discussion: from Architecture, to wars, to everything under the sun.

Meanwhile the two who were considered flirt and player were both speechless and just sat there staring at their love interests, powerless and pitiful.