Misunderstandings and promises

Mythology in the Modern World

Life on earth seemed fine for our gods and goddesses but in Olympus, Hera had been raging wrath over the inhabitants. She cannot take it anymore and she’ll do it herself!

Heechul lied on her bed worried about certain things, Leeteuk approached her and she confided.

“Leeteuk, I’m pregnant.. it’ already four months.. I don’t know what to do..”

Leeteuk was worried for her but as her mind thinks of a plan to resolve Heechul’s problem, she was worried for herself too..

“chulie.. I’m pregnant too..”

The two sulked on the bed as Leeteuk thinks of a plan.

“we have to tell them…”

Leeteuk said and Heechul became nervous.

“I don’t know if Hangeng would accept..”

“he should.. he’s the father!”

“But..”

“we should give them their paternal rights.”

And so they settled on the plan. On the way home from school, Heechul asked Hangeng to meet her at the park by the fountain. Leeteuk asked Kangin to meet her at the park too, but by the playground. Both scheduled the rendezvous at around 6 pm.

Heechul nervously clutches her bag as they approached the park that night, Leeteuk tries to calm heechul’s nerves with words of support yet she her own nerves were unsteady. They separated on a crossroad and Heechul was now on her own. Before she even reached the place, a few meters from the fountain, Heechul stopped as Changmin approached her. Hangeng noticed Heechul approaching so he decided to meet her halfway but stopped when he saw another girl approach heechul. He hid behind the tree and listened at their conversation.

“Changmin?!”

Heechul nervously muttered and Changmin smirked.

“why are you surprised? I told you to find Yunho and bring him back to Olympus and what did you do? Flirt with mortals? Did you use your Beauty to lure poor unsuspecting mortals to love you? Or use Cupid’s arrows to help you Heechul, should I say Venus?”

Changmin was mad and was ready to rage chaos on Earth.

“ma.. just give me a few minutes and I’ll return to Olympus. I just need to do something important.. I promise.. I’ll go back.. Just don’t realease all your anger on Earth.. I’m begging..”

Heechul was now kneeling in front of Changmin and tears flowing freely from her eyes.

“you never beg before.. it seemed that you have turned into one of them”

Changmin them left her. Heechul stood up and wiped the tears off of her face and went to the fountain. Hangeng wasn’t there and she can’t help the rush of emotions.

“what are you going to tell me?”

Hangeng said and Heechul smiled as she face him, but hangeng didn’t smile back.

“that you are some goddess.. are you really Heechul or Venus?”

Hangeng’s tone was hurt and mad at the same time. Heechul tried to explain.

“I’m..”

“what now? Did you use your powers to deceive me?”

Heechul was speechless. She wanted to tell him everything but not in this way. She wanted to tell him so much more but all she can do now is cry.

“how could you?”

Hangeng turned to leave and Heechul finally spoke.

“You’re absolutely right! I deceived you. Mere mortals are easy to play with, believing in petty things like love and all those lies. I used my beauty to have you.. to play with you.. and so? You enjoyed it… you had fun but it’s over”

Heechul runs away such that when Hangeng turned to face her again, she was gone. Hangeng’s heart bled as her words lashed his poor heart. He cried as she disappeared, carrying with her the broken pieces of his poor heart.

“I did love you.. I truly loved you Heechul.. I don’t even care if you’re a goddess or not.. I love you”

---…--

Kangin welcomed Leeteuk and they sat on the bench. Leeteuk was nervous but she has to do it now. She spoke and her voice trembled.

“relax teukie..”

Leeteuk shook her head.

“kangin.. I’m pregnant..”

Kangin was surprised and LEeteuk was worried. Kangin held her hand tighter and kissed her forehead.

“that’s great.. we’ll be a happy family..”

Leeteuk shook her head..

“no.. I mean.. it’s…”

Before Leeteuk can continue, Changmin had appeared before them.

“oh, so I thought Athena was the smartest and had no time for stupid things like love?”

“Athena?”

Kangin was puzzled.

“Oh so you didn’t know you’re having an affair with a goddess?”

Leeteuk wanted to say something but her lips wouldn’t move.

“I don’t care if she’s a goddess or not.. I love her..”

Changmin laughed hard.

“feisty mortal!”

Kangin held Leeteuk tighter.

“where does Athena’s power gone to? lost it when you fell in love?”

“You have no right to talk to her in that way!”

KAngin would do everything for Leeteuk.. even battle out a goddess.

“really? Well then, I’m pretty impressed with your strength, I’ll let you choose. End of the world or restriction of Olympians?”

Changmin smirked, Kangin is caught in between two choices that are both hard to choose one over the other.

“Kangin, you don’t have to chose.. I’ll do it..”

“no.. I’ll take responsibilities for my actions.”

Kangin closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He then faced Changmin an knelt before him.

“that won’t work.. you have to choose.”

“I will choose.. I only ask of you six months.. I’ll let Leeteuk go but let her deliver our child here, let me have our child as her remembrance. I will not expect anything from the Olympians. All I ask is that short time for me to spend it with Leeteuk.. after giving birth, I’ll personally hand her to you..”

Changmin was touched by his actions, a mere mortal would go to such extent for a goddess.

“you have decided.. it’s restrictions that you chose and it shall be implemented.. however, I will grant you up to her delivery and nothing more..”

Changmin left them. Leeteuk approached Kangin and embraced him tightly.

“I’m sorry.. I’m sorry..”

Kangin did the same.

“I should be the one saying sorry, don’t cry, it’ll make the baby sad.”

Kangin forces a smile through the tears and Leeteuk smiled as well. They both stood up and Kangin carried her bridal style.

“Put me down!”

“we have to use our time wisely.. I have to show you how much I love you every second.. because I may never be able to do so..”

---…---

Hangeng was jealous of Kangin and Leeteuk, although he hides all the hurt, at night he would gaze through the sky in hopes of seeing Heechul again. He doesn’t care if she was a goddess, all he care is that he loves her, more than his own life.

“Hangeng, Heechul made these for you.. she hadn’t had the time to give it.”

Leeteuk handed him the shirts Heechul made painstakingly for him. He remembered the first time he wore her hand-made shirt; it was their first time. His heartache increased tenfold.

Six months may seem long enough for Kangin and Leeteuk to spend with each other but it wasn’t. Leeteuk felt her contractions and in mere minutes, she was rushed to the hospital and was soon giving birth to their son. HAngeng was there to give his support to the couple but he wished he also had something to hold on, aside from dear memories and shirts.

KAngin smiled as a healthy baby boy was delivered into this world, et he cries as this would be the end of the time limit given to them. As soon as she was discharged, Kangin drove to Changdeokgung. He then led Leeeteuk who was still weak and with the baby boy in one hand. Hermes and Iris were there to meet them.

“I am here to fulfill my promise. I give Leeteuk to you, may you take care of her.”

Kangin handed Leeteuk to Hermes and turned to leave. Leeteuk meekly spoke.

“kAngin-shi..”

Kangin faced her and Leeteuk kissed him for the last time.

“I’m sorry..”

“no.. it’ll be ok..”

Leeteuk then took out her spear and shield necklace and wore it on the baby.

“Kyuhyun-ah.. this will always protect you”

And with her first and last kiss to Kyuhyun, she cried and they left. Kangin cried waching them leave and he heald Kyuhyun tighter.

“Kyuhyun.. I’ll be leaving you too.. but only for a while… I hope you’ll forgive your parents..”

Kangin drove to the dorm where Hangeng was now arranging his papers to return to China.

“It’s late..”

Hangeng muttered. Kangin placed Kyuhyun on the bed and talked to hangeng.

“can you take care of him.. just for 2 years.. just until I fulfill my duties to my country.. I will get him back after I get discharged I promise to pay you..”

Hangeng patted him on the back and as a good friend would do, he took the baby in his arms and spoke.

“I will do my best to take care of him.. just promise not to let go of your love for Leeteuk..”

It was bittersweet that when Hangeng boarded the plane back to China, Kangin entered the gates of the military facility.

---…---
Leeteuk went back to her usual place in Olympus and Zeus welcomed his favorite daughter.

“I know it’s hard dear..”

Athena cried and this made Hera more angry.

“It’s a promise..”

“I know.. a promise I’ll keep.”

Athena then runs away to her room. Venus came a few minutes later carrying a cute baby girl.

“her name is Minnie.. She’s really pretty right?”

Athena nodded and she can see Tears in Venus’ eyes.

“I’m sorry..”

Athena muttered but Venus shook her head.

“it was my fault..”

Then Hera entered and saw Venus carrying the baby.
“I already told you to dispose of that child. Despicable daughter of a mortal.”

Venus was enraged.

“My daughter is not despicable and so is Hangeng. I will not let this child see darkness and will protect and raise her just like a real mother would do.. not like you.. you only care for your own sake..”

Venus walked out leaving both speechless.
---…---

2 years passed and Kangin was discharged from the army. He immediately went to Hangeng in Beijing to get his son Kyuhyun. He was welcomed with a warm smile and a hug.

“Hyung.. “

“Kangin, I’m glad that you’re ok..”

“I’m sorry if I the money I sent were too little.”

Hangeng smiled and handed him a bankbook.

“I saved it in here for his future. So it’s ok.. and you don’t need to pay me, I took care of Kyu just like my own child.”

Kangin waited for Kyuhyun, as Hangeng prepared a bed for him to stay. Hangeng’s mom returned from the pediatrician and greeted him with a smile. She then Handed kyuhyun to him. Kyuhyun cried and was uncomfortable with Kangin.

“Kuaixian ah.. Ni shi papa”

Mrs. Han told him but Kyuhyun still cried and Kangin was a little depressed. Hangeng took Kyuhyun and he stopped crying.

“he’s just not used to you, give him time ok?”

Kangin nodded as Kyuhyun clings to Hangeng. Kangin took the bed and rested his head. It took more than a month for Kyuhyun to adjust.

“appa.. “

Kyuhyun called Kangin one day and Kangin was so moved that he cried as he hugged Kyuhyun tightly. He cried and cried and was happy hearing his own son calls him Appa.. finally. They stayed in China until Kyuhyun turned five. Kangin worked in the restaurant and he had helped with all his heart, he was considered as the Han’s adopted son.
On the eve of their return to Korea, Kyuhyun went home with a girl from kindergarten.

“ah Kuaixian dear, who’s the pretty girl?”

Kangin asked and The girl introduced herself as Mimi and she live just around the corner.

“nice to meet you Mimi.”

“Let’s meet each other when we grow up!”

Kuaixian said and he kissed her on the cheeks. Mimi blushed and nodded before waving and leaving the place.

“you got yourself a girlfriend..”

Kangin said and Hangeng added.

“he is like you.. a born player..”

“hey I only loved one girl..”

“I know.. I know. I’ll miss you so much!”

Hangeng hugged the friend and said their goodbyes. Finally it was time to return to a land they will call home.