Admiring Technology

Mythology in the Modern World

Females have been the object of attention and had brought deception and chaos in the course of History: From Helen of Troy to Cleopatra and Marc Anthony. And this became the basis for Kyuhyun to continuously hate the other . As a devout Christian and a certified bookaholic, he had time for everything except for girls.

He was rather smart and has a knack for games on top of his amazing looks. A lot of girls would try and flirt with him but dismisses them in rather crude manners. He’s not the type to interact with them and he was glad and relieved to stay like that, to some extent, he was deemed gay.

But he was not that type of person; he just hated girls but doesn’t like guys romantically. How he ended up like that? Blame his mom for it, leaving him when he was born. For years he had endured all the lashes of freaking insults from classmates as being a bastard with no mom. It was a bitter experience and since then hated girls in general, despicable creatures sent to wreak havoc into this world.

And so he dedicated his life to books, and games. He would read from day to night or else he would play online games for countless of hours. But the irony of this cruel world: the object of his hate was now the cause of his eternal joy. What started out as some play of and lines, turned out to be the face of the prettiest female in the land we call Earth.

His eyes widen at the sight of the perfect beauty: a beauty that can never exist but in a mere lifeless computer screen. Yet this gameKyu can never take defeat and thus he did what his heart dictated, make her come to life.. or at least make a replica of her in 3D.

Expensive, yes but it doesn’t really matter. A hologram is not an easy task and he devoted much of his time perfecting the princess. He worked day in and day out perfecting her features, her lines, her curves, her smile and most especially her eyes. She was the object of perfection, one that can only be described in fictional books and literature, one that can never exist.

And as the figure come to life as a hologram, Kyuhyun smiled and approached his work. Staring straight into her eyes, he smiled and muttered

“Minnie..”

She was indeed perfect yet as Kyuhyun tried to touch her, he felt nothing but thin air. His heart sank and a frown came to his face but Minnie continued to smile. He sat across the room admiring his work and he realized now that he has indeed fallen for the girl he created.

Days passed and he would treat the cybergirl as if it was real, calling her names and giving her countless of outfits: she looked so damn real and Kyuhyun had fallen deeply in love, to the point of insanity. Yet Minnie remained as the hologram that can only smile, maybe wave or wink if Kyuhyun tweaked the program a little, but she can never love him in return.

But maybe the heavens are in his favor. Back from a long day at school, Kyuhyun returned home and was greeted by his dad and a lady with a perfect smile.

“Kyuhyun, this is your mother Leeteuk.”

After hearing the word mom, Kyuhyun was enraged and quickly went to his room and locked it shut.

"Wait Kyuhyun, let me explain.. I..”

Leeteuk tried but all 20 years of pain cannot be easily removed from his heart. He cried as all the hurt came rushing to him, all those painful years he endured with his mom, living alone seeing his Kangin Appa hurt each day but tried his best to provide for his son.

Deep in his thoughts, he felt warm and soft hands wipe his tears and when he looked up, he saw Minnie smiling at him. He was surprised and shocked that he immediately stood up and walked away from her.

“you are not real.. who are you”

“I’m Minnie.. you made me..”

Minnie smiled even more as she approached Kyuhyun who was still in denial.

“I must be losing it.. Maybe Donghae Hyung was right, aliens exist but this is freaky.”

“what’s Freaky Kyuhyun?”

Minnie asked and Kyuhyun was so scared he didn’t care if it looked unmanly but he ran out the door, away from Minnie. She was in turn hurt and she cried on his bed, like Cinderella locked in a cellar.

“Kyuhyun, what happened to you?”

Kangin asked his son who was really perspiring and breathing hard. Kyuhyun catched his breath before talking to his dad, Leeteuk handed him some water.

“girl.. bedroom… girl.. alien..”

Kyuhyun tried his best to tell them what just happened but then he was too startled to talk with much sense. Kangin peeked into his room to confirm that there was no girl inside his room but…

“there's no girl in your bedroom kyuhyun, no one entered but…. Ok.. Teukie??!?!?!”

Kangin saw the poor girl crying in his bed and knew his wife had something to do with it.

“Teukie, what did you do?”

Kyuhyun was now confused, was his mom some sort of a witch like Harry potter, maybe vampire like Edward, or maybe she’s a goddess and he’s like Percy Jackson. So many questions that needed answers yet he can’t find them.

“I only granted my son’s wish”

Leeteuk answered and Kyuhyun was now more scared.

“What wish and who exactly are you?”

There was no way out and Leeteuk had to explain everything to him, her true identity, her reason for leaving him and why was there a crying girl in his room.

“you see babykyu..”

“I have a proper name.”

Kangin smacked the back of Kyuhyun’s head for disrespecting his mom and Leeteuk glared at him.

“Kyuhyun, well I’m a goddess”

“there’s only one God and He is the Father Almighty.. I’m a Christian..”

Leeteuk smiled back at the son, then to Kangin.

“you raised him well dear.”

“thank you.”

Kangin replied and Leeteuk continued.

“Watched Percy Jackson already?”

“so?”

“you’re just like him.. I’m more popularly known as Athena but in Korean I’m Leeteuk”

Gasp.

Disbelief.

Denial

“that is not true..”

“yes, it’s true, that’s why she left you when you were little, she cannot stay for too long.” Kangin countered

“no.. still not true..”

“believe me..” Leeteuk said with a knowing smile

“then you caused.. but I didn’t wish for her..” 

Kyuhyun stared at his mother and she smiled wider and nodded.

“go on dear..”

“i… I … i.. I remember.. I wished for her to be real…”

Kyuhyun recalled one night when he silently wished in his heart that his dear Minnie would be real and not just some computer generated image. He smiled at the realization and hugged his mom and whispered

“happy birthday mom..”

And off he went inside his room and searched for the girl he loves. Minnie still cried on the bed at the rejection. Kyuhyun approached her and wiped the tears, then slowly leaned and kissed her. Her lips were warm and soft as she responded back sweetly. His heart pounded fast, she was indeed real and alive.

“you only came to give him a present? What about me?”

Kangin played with the pasta as Leeteuk cooked their dinner.

“you think I only came for my son?”

Kangin nodded.

“give me my birthday present first!”

“stay and you’ll find out what my present is”

Kagnin wrapped his arm around Leeteuk’s waist and kissed her on her cheek.

“I’m sorry for leaving too long..”

“I understand.. it’s my fault falling for a goddess”

“at least you didn’t fall for a hologram.”

The two broke up as Kyuhyun entered and introduced Minnie formally. Minnie bowed at both parent and approached Leeteuk.

“Auntie.. is Umma still mad?”

Leeteuk patted Minnie’s head softly and smiled sweetly.

“I’l take care of it, that girl can’t take the fact that one of her daughters is prettier than her..”

Both Kyuhyun and Kangin were confused. Leeteuk formally introduced Minnie as the daughter of Heechul, aka Venus.

“Minnie is a demigod as well, her dad is Hangeng, you know, your classmate in college dear.”

“yah.. I remember him, how’s your dad Minnie?”

“he’s fine but umma’s being a little tempermantal..”

“wait.. Venus and Athena are sisters right, then does that mean we’re cousins?” Kyuhyun asked as another realization struck him.

“In Olympus yes you are.. but here on Earth, you’re not.” Leeteuk assured her son.

“then we can get married and there won’t be any problems?” Kyuhyun excitedly asked.

“hey.. thinking about marriage without even finishing college? I didn’t raise you to be a drop out!” Kangin angrily said.

“Kangin dear, can you not release all your anger on our son.. Minnie can you help me with dinner”

The two males left the girls to cook dinner and Kangin took the opportunity to talk to his son.

“I hope you understand your mother’s condition. She’s in stressful situation where she had to leave you with me..”

“so I like have powers or something?”

Kangin nodded and ruffled his son’s hair.

“you’ve got your mom’s intelligence, wisdom beyond your age: you even produced a hologram without proper education for it..”

Kyuhyun smiled and hugged his dad.

“then are there any other demigods like me and Minnie”

“of course, Donghae is the son of Poseidon, Yesung is the son of Cupid, god of love, Kibum is the daughter of Hebe, the goddess of youth, Ryeowook is the daughter of Artemis or more commonly known as Luna, Eunja is the daughter of Terpsichore, the Muse of Dance and finally Siwon is the son of Zeus so he is very powerful”

“I wondered why Siwon hyung was like that.. I still wonder…”

“why do I know that they’re demigods as well?”

Kaning asked, Kyuhyun nodded and Leeteuk answered for him.

“because both your and Minnie’s father as well as their parents have sworn to protect all your identities for your safety, dinner is set.”