a battle of wits

Mythology in the Modern World

Kyuhyun shook as he steps forward, towards Heechul. God and goddesses alike surround them, eager to see a battle unfold.

“Cho Kyuhyun?”

Hera repeated the name, something was familiar about it.

“yes, Cho Kyuhyun, Son of Athena!”

Kyuhyun nervously spoke, he is faced with one of the top goddesses in Olympus and he is not sure if he can make it out alive. To this point, Zeus is even powerless as Hera is a goddess not to reckon with, the mother of Olympus.

“of all Olympians, Athena. You do know I hated her! She’s not my daughter, only Zeus alone.”

Hera muttered, and Kyuhyun gulped.

“it is of jealousy that you foster that made you hate my mother.”

Kyuhyun said, not even knowing where those words came from. By now, the commotion had reached even the distant hiding place where Minnie seek refuge. She runs to the hall to find out if the rumors were true, the son of Athena is facing Hera. Minnie reached the hall and found Kyuhyun face to face with Hera, she held her breath and softly muttered

“Kyuhyun”

Kyuhyun stood his ground, his processing information he himself did not know until now. Mathematical equations, statistic, logic, philosophy.. all swirling inside his head making him dizzy.

I believe in you, you are my son 

Kyuhyun heard her voice again and clutched the pendant tighter.

“and that jealousy had never left your heart.. why create Cupid if you do not allow love to prosper?”

Kyuhyun gained confidence by the minute, where? He did not know nor care where he got it.

“it is not the will of Olympus that restrain love and happiness. People turn to you for prosperity and happiness. Olympians are responsible for the well being of everyone on Earth. Yet these restrictions.. they are hindrances to the objectives set by this institution. In these hallowed halls, do you hear anyone still calling out your names?”

There was silence. Kyuhyun looked at the people surrounding them. Hera just stood in front of him, face unchanged.

“what happened then? The connection was lost.. and that connection was love..”

“yet you do not foresee the evil effects of what you call love.”

Hera finally muttered.

“are you talking about yourself?”

Kyuhyun muttered and there were gasps.

“it is love that turned you into this… you love Zeus, yet that love is futile, you never gave him his happiness. He is wrong to love thousands of girls yet, he still loved you most of all the girls in his lifetime. He spends eternity with you.. but you have to understand the love of a father to his Children, much like you do to yours. Isn’t Venus your adored child?”
Kyuhyun argued and Hera was again speechless.

“if you love her dearly, then why refrain her from attaining happiness. Her eternal beauty fades as her heart gets wounded over and over again. She puts on a mask to show everyone that she is ok, yet her beauty can never mask the pain she feels as each minute, she is far from her love. She suffers as she wished for a family to give Minnie. She endured long and hard times, being apart..”

“that relationship can never benefit her! My actions are for her own good and the good of all Olympians..”

Hera declared.

“no! it’s for your own good alone! Look at their faces! Can you not see that they long for their children and spouses? I grew up hating my mother for leaving me. And she has to carry that pain in her heart… pain that I’ve blindly caused since that restriction had forbid her to fulfill her duties to me. But my dad loved her so much that he willingly gave her up and waited for her no matter what. My dad endured raising a son alone in hopes of having a complete family. That is love! That is true love.. willing to let go, having patience to wait, and hoping for a happy ending even though it’s impossible.”

“a mere mortal.. you don’t know what you are saying.”

“I am a demigod!”

Hera approached him and everyone held their breath. Kyuhyun did not budge as his heart pumped twice as fast. Hear stopped in front of him an raised her right hand. Kyuhyun closed his eyes as he anticipated what Hera will do to him. he waited and felt warm hands on his cheeks. He opened his eyes and saw Hear tearful.

“I’m sorry.. jealousy had blinded me and I have forgotten my purpose. I am proud that you are my grandson, Athena did not make a mistake having you. You had acquired her intelligence and your father raised you well, more than what I hoped for. Kangin is a good man, he truly loved Athena and you’re right, he was willing to risk everything. He was the only mortal who did that…”

Hera then raised both hands and with a swift move of her fingers, she declared

“i therefore lift any restrictions, you may freely do what your heart desires.”

All the gold bands in their right arms vanished and finally, they were free. Kyuhyun smiled as throngs of people rejoiced and congratulated him. Minnie tried her best to go to kyuhyun but she was being pushed away. Kyuhyun saw her and he asked Poseidon to help him. With a nod, water rose giving Minnie a clear way to meet Kyuhyun. She run into his waiting arms and cried.

“umma.. Appa..”

Kyuhyun hugged her tightly,

“you’ll be a complete family..”

“thank you..”

Hera left the hall crying, not because she was defeated by a mere demigod, but because she was disgusted with herself, she turned far worse than Hades.

“Hera..”

Zeus wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed her nape.

“you’ll always have my heart.. no matter how many women I love.. you hold that core that makes me go on..”

Hera smiled and turned to Kiss him.

“go and find Siwon, he’s turned into a fine young man.”

Hera muttered and gave Zeus a knowing look.

“I want you to be happy.. I’m sorry..”

---…---

Kangin and Heechul returned to the apartment and saw Hangeng still curled up in one of the corners. Leeteuk greeted them and Heechul went straight to him.

“I don’t care anymore.. if I die or whatever happens.. I love you…”

Heechul then kissed him. It was what Hangeng wanted for 20 long years: those familiar lips on his. He pulled her closer as he deepens the kiss, tears poured from both eyes, each savoring and cherishing this moment…

“I love you way too much to let you go..”

Hangeng muttered and Heechul closed her eyes and prepared for the worst. Yet none came.

“omma, Appa..”

Minnie came running towards them and hugged both parents. They were surprised.

“Minnie..”

Heechul muttered.

“we can be a family!”

Minnie said as she cries, her heart happy and relieved. Heechul then looked at leeteuk who smiled and showed heechul her right arm, the band was gone. Heechul looked at hers and it was gone as well.

Heechul cried even harder and buried her face on Hangeng’s chest, glad that it was all over and finally her love story can end in a happy note. Hangeng, Heechul and Minnie sat there at the corner, both girsl burying their faces on his chest. Hangeng was crying yet he sgenuinely smiled and thanked Leeteuk, Kangin and Kyuhyun who stood by the door and looked the family finally complete. Hangeng held both girls closer to him as tears overflowed.

Kangin kissed Leeteuk and patted his son on the back.

“I’m very proud of you..”

“I’m very thankful you raised me to be me..”

Kyuhyun replied and Leeteuk gave her son a peck on the cheek and her husband a kiss on the lips. Finally, it is all over.

A/n: finally season 1 is over.. hopefully you enjoyed this one.. now about season 2.. well the ooutline is done but I will have to update my other 2 series first^^ thanks for all the support.