Thirteen

The Change Of My Heart

Chapter Thirteen

Updated on 12th of November 2013.

-

 

"Can we join the date?" Kai cheekily spoke up as him and Baekhyun reached the table Kyungsoo and Hae Lynn were sitting at. Kyungsoo and Hae Lynn's head darted towards Kai's direction to be greeted with his well known smirk. "A double date sounds fun!" Baekhyun chimed in to join the fun of teasing the two. Hae Lynn gulped and kept all her books by shoving it into her bag without closing the pen properly.

"Where are you going?" Kyungsoo snapped, grabbing onto her last pen before she could keep it into her bag.

She smiled nervously, pointing at two of his friends sitting beside him. "You have company now. I should leave."

"I'm not giving this back if you leave." Kyungsoo threatened, gripping onto the pen tight but she simply got up and sling the bag over her shoulder. "Y-You can keep it." She bowed a little and immediately paced away from the table and soon she was gone from the cafeteria. Kyungsoo sighed deeply and groaned inwardly, looking left and right to a very satisfied Kai and Baekhyun.

"What do you want?"

"Oh nothing." Baekhyun grinned from ear to ear as he took a bite from his sandwich.

"How was the date?" Kai asked smugly as he gave a light nudge on Kyungsoo's arm.

Kyungsoo looked down on the pen and his lips parted before he stood up, much to Baekhyun and Kai's surprise.

"It went very well without you two idiots coming here. And it's not a date." Kyungsoo grumbled the last sentence softly before he kicked his chair away with his bag over his shoulder as he headed towards the cafeteria's exit. Baekhyun pulled his chair closer towards Kai before he pouted slightly. "Does he hate us that much?"

"He's just going after his girlfriend, that's normal." Kai said casually, slurping on his orange juice in a red plastic cup.

"They're not together yet!" Baekhyun's eyes widened when Kai smirked. "Soon, my friend."

 

"Ah... You can't study with me?" Hae Lynn let out an unsatisfied sigh, not being able to have her best friend to teach her English - one of the most horrible subjects she's ever been in. "Sorry Hae but... Joon Myun wanted to hang out..." Nicole mumbled meekly and Hae Lynn could tell Nicole was probably blushing like mad being able to say those words she's been dreaming for ever since she laid eyes on pretty boy, Kim Joon Myun. Hae Lynn let out a toothy grin, nodding in understandment even though Nicole couldn't see it. "I understand, Nicole. Have fun, girlfriend to Kim Joon Myun - oh I mean, Nicole." Hae Lynn snickered when Nicole tried to fight back and bicker but she kept on stammering on her words that Nicole instantly hung up.

It was merely a few seconds when a message popped up from Nicole telling Hae Lynn to shut her face but Nicole loves her nonetheless. She pressed her lips together and her fingers clutched onto her phone for a moment.

Maybe Kyungsoo could... Oh, nevermind...

Hae Lynn shook her head and simply put her phone aside to lean back against the chair, lifting up her English textbook to read when the chair opposite her was pulled back. She lifted her chin only to jerk backwards when she saw a face she'd never thought she'd see opposite her.

"What?" He snapped at her, sitting down as he flipped open his book to start his work. She gulped and shook her head. 

"N-Nothing."

Why is he here? More importantly... why is he opposite me? Out of all the places in the library?!

"Hae Lynn," She gulped and lifted her chin again to meet with his eyes. She tilted her head as she stared into his eyes. For some reason, she started to took notice of it and... it was simply beautiful - no, it was absolutely stunning. How could someone so cold own the pair of eyes that seem to be able to warm the coldest of hearts? Even though Hae Lynn's heart was already warm, it got warmer just looking into his eyes. 

"Stop staring into my eyes, having other girls falling for me is bad enough." He brought her back into reality and she somehow appreciated yet hated him for that. Can't she have a moment to just appreciate his eyes? With him, definitely not, she thought. She swallowed hard and blinked at him. "What?" She tried not to sound scared or... anything like that but she wasn't even scared. Was she... nervous?

"You're good with Math. Help me."

She narrowed her eyes at him and closed her English textbook. "Is this how you ask help from people?"

Kyungsoo sighed deeply and let his eyes travel down to see she was holding the English textbook.

Bingo.

"English."

Her head bobbed forward, letting go of her book as her eyes widened at him. "What?"

"You need help with English. Simple. I'll help you with that, and you help me with this torturing equations I can't understand."

"What are the conditions?"

"You tell me." Kyungsoo countered, leaning closer towards her and she leaned away, tilting her head to the side so she could avoid his eyes. He snickered and leaned away to his original seating as he eyed her. "I'll help you get an A for English, while you help me get an A in Math. That's the condition. Our study time, will be anytime I say it is."

Her lips parted to object, why does it have to go around his schedule, not hers?

"What about my timing?"

"Fine," He breathed out, rolling his eyes before he locked gazes with her. "We'll agree on a time and then we'll have a permanent schedule, happy?" She nodded once and giving him a wide smile - he froze instantly. His lips parted unintentionally when he saw her smile and he didn't move a single inch. Her smile faded when she took note of how he was reacting and she decided to just leave - because it was getting weird, yet a good kind of weird but weird. She wanted to just leave and avoid all of this.

"I-I'll go now."

With that, before Kyungsoo could even ask her to stay, she had already left with everything. He rubbed his faces with two of his hands, wondering what's wrong with his brain. Two weeks of being here in this new school and he's already going crazy, both in his mind and... heart.

"God damn. What's wrong with me?"

He lifted his chin only to see through the window that Hae Lynn was conversing with Sehun and she was smiling a lot. 

Why doesn't she smile that wide often when she's with me?

He hissed softly and tilted his head a little as he continued staring.

Why do I feel... something?

 

"Hae Lynn, your turn!" The coach hollered across the field and Hae Lynn got up from the bench. She walked down normally but Kyungsoo could see she clutched onto her ankle when she reached the bottom. Instinctively, he shot up and walked towards her to yank her by her wrist to bring her closer towards him. She let out a gasp but she easily swallowed it seconds after when he leaned dangerously close towards her.

"You're not supposed to run."

She winced but managed to push him away. "I-I can run."

He laughed sardonically and flicked her forehead. "Don't be stupid. You can't. You'll get hurt."

"Why do you care?" She snapped at him, letting her impatient side the best of her. Kyungsoo looked around at everyone surrounding them, giving him weird looks and he scoffed this time. "Fine, have it your way." He let go of her wrist and he stormed back to his seat on the bench.

 

"You can do this..." She breathed out quietly as she rubbed her palms together. "Just run like usual. Nothing will happen. Nothing."

"Ready?" The coach shouted and she gave two thumbs up. The cheers from the other runners were loud and clear to her ears, urging her to run as fast as she could - even though it was training, they took it very seriously. 

He sat at the benches, not paying attention to the conversations between Joon Myun, Nicole and Sehun. He sat there with his hands clasped together as his eyes were set on her. Get off the damn track. Sighing, he looked away but his eyes travelled back to her as he watched her. This is a bad idea. He instantly got up and left his group of friends.

 

"Three,"
 

"Two,


"One,"


"Go!"


At the sound of the fourth word, she took off like lightning. It was such a good start as she sprinted as fast as she could at the moment she heard the whistle and her coach's voice with everyone else's cheerings soaring into her ears. The pain stinging at her ankle was sipping in, just pressing in her like a sharp pin but she endured it as she was half way through. Happy thoughts, happy thoughts. Sehun could see from a distance that she was struggling. Instantly, all three of them talking a moment ago shot up from the bench when they could see fear written all over Sehun's face.

"She's injured." Sehun breathed out when Hae Lynn's face scrunched up a little but she ignored it, continuing to run even though she should stop - she was doing the exact opposite.

It wasn't even a few steps towards the finishing round that the girl collapsed, clutching onto her ankle as she expected to fall onto the ground but a pair of arms caught her before she even did. Her eyes shot open to see that he was holding onto her tight with a pissed expression on his face even though deep inside all he ever did was... care.

"I told you not to run!" He shouted at the top of his lungs as he lifted her up and carried her in his arms. "Why are you so damn stubborn?!"

She gulped but she froze when she realized he was carrying her in front of everyone. "Hands around my neck, now."

"B-But, Kyungsoo-"

"Now." He deadpanned, glaring at her and she meekly wrapped her arms around his neck, resting her head at his collarbone. 

"Hang on." He mumbled softly before he gripped onto her tight as he hurriedly ran towards the medical room, ignoring the stares from everyone at the track. Even the coach was dumbfounded as he thought of asking Kyungsoo to take his partner to see the school's nurse but he would've never thought that Kyungsoo would do it on his own will.

"Holy crap." Nicole breathed out, holding onto Joon Myun's hand unintentionally. "He likes her." 

"Are you jealous?" Joon Myun spoke up, grabbing Nicole's attention. Her head snapped at him and she shook her head instantly. 

"No no no! I mean... Uh..."

He smirked and patted her head. "I get what you mean. But you're mine."

"Ugh, lovebirds." Sehun groaned softly, walking away from the two who could only laugh at Sehun's reaction. Before Sehun could walk to the track, as it was his turn, he looked around to analyse and he took notice of a few things. One, the coach was completely stunned - hilarious, he thought. Two, all the runners could already have a rough hint that Kyungsoo likes Hae Lynn - how ironic. Three, he could see Minhyuk following Kyungsoo and Hae Lynn carefully behind them. Sehun raised an eyebrow as he nodded once slowly, placing the pieces together - a love triangle.

"God damn it. Love triangles are the most irritating things ever." Sehun mumbled softly. "Why? Are you caught up in one?" Kai asked, popping out of nowhere as he slung an arm over Sehun's shoulder. Kai simply gazed towards the direction he was staring at and smirked. "Oh no. You like Hae Lynn too!"

And four, Kai is a complete idiot.