Betting On Love

The Change Of My Heart

Chapter Ten : Betting On Love

Updated on 3rd of November 2013.

"I hope you choke on your food, Chanyeol."
 

"It's been two weeks already, you two still not getting along well, huh?" Nicole poked Hae Lynn's head with a one-sided pout. Hae Lynn simply shrugged her shoulders, focusing on her sketch below her on the table. "I don't really care..." Hae Lynn mumbled, adding a few darker onto the face she was shading. What Hae Lynn had just said wasn't exactly the truth. She doesn't even know if she cares or if she doesn't care - that's where she feels weird and odd.

Sometimes he's nice, but then he's cold again.

Then he's opening up to her a bit, and then he's closing back up the next.

One moment he says he needs her help, and then he said that he doesn't need it anymore.

Next he gives her a small smile of assurance that they'll get along just fine, but then he gives her a glare the next moment after a thing she said.

Usually she doesn't care but why does she keep thinking about it? 

 

Even she had no idea.

 

"What are you drawin-" Nicole's voice trailled off when she leaned closer to peek at Hae Lynn's sketch. Nicole sealed her lips shut, not knowing what to say about it.

"Hae... It's been so long..." Concern filled Nicole's voice and Hae Lynn could sense that - but it wasn't enough to stop her.

"I know." Hae Lynn simply answered, eyes still locked onto the sketch as she continued to shade the right places, giving it a nice blend to it. "I just miss her, that's all." Hae Lynn tilted her head a little to smile at a very unsatisfied Nicole. Not that she has anything about Hae Lynn missing her biological mother but... she doesn't like it when she could see through Hae Lynn like a piece of glass. Hae Lynn wasn't just missing her, she misses her mother so much, she wonders if there is anyone out there to love her.

What if she never got kicked out of the house?

What if... her biological mother didn't die?

Just... what if?

Why do all the nicest people have to go through the most pain?

The bell rang and Hae Lynn got up to sling her bagpack over her shoulder before patting Nicole on the head. "I'll see you in lunch."

From there, Nicole was dumbfounded in her thoughts as she could only look at Hae Lynn walk away. She raised a hand up to wave goodbye but she lowered her hand down and sighed. Hae Lynn, please be happy.

 

When everyone greeted the teacher, they took their respective seats in the art room with each person having an easel in front of them. Kyungsoo mentally cursed - he never liked painting or drawing. If someone were to ask him to draw a simple drawing of a bunny, it would somehow magically turn out to be a bunny whose leg looks like a pair of shoes that were stepped on multiple times as well as having ears that looked like someone tied them up into a ribbon: that isn't even pretty.

"Today, you will be drawing someone based on the word written on the board." The teacher announced and for the first time, he noticed Hae Lynn was oddly quiet - not that he wanted her to make any noise but ever since he met her, he's so used to having her to say something. He tilted his head to eye her and she was staring diligently at the teacher with a pencil in her hands, with the tip bitten by her teeth.

She has straight teeth.

He blinked and diverted his attention away from her. Focus, Kyungsoo. He faced forward only to see a big four letter word on the board.

L o v e

His lips parted and soon, he gulped as the teacher had already started the timer - giving everyone an equal time of two hours to complete their drawings on a canvas. He looked around, keeping his cool only to take note that everyone else was already starting on their drawing. Hissing silently, he peeked at the girl beside him, noticing she was already starting to sketch her drawing.

Am I the only one who has no idea what the draw? God damn it.

He held onto the pencil and gripped onto it tight.

Think Kyungsoo, think.

He cracked his knuckles, letting his body tense up when he didn't know what to draw. He doesn't want to be embarrassed and have the worst drawing here - hell no. A thought came into his mind: asking help from Hae Lynn, but he shrugged his off as he brought his hand up with the pencil by the empty canvas. Here goes nothing.

 

"What did you draw?" Hae Lynn asked, leaning closer to peek but he used his body to cover his drawing. "Show me yours first."

Her smile made his brows raise as she turned her canvas to let him have a full view of what she had wonderfully drawn on the blank canvas two hours ago. It was simply a beautiful red rose that was focused perfectly in the middle of the canvas with a bunch of tiny roses as the backdrop. The petals were starting from the bud and each petal had the right proportions that gave it a nice shine and spark. The reds of the rose were blended nicely starting from the darkest to the lightest. To summarize it all up: it was one of the most beautiful paintings Kyungsoo has ever laid his eyes on - period, and it was something he could never do. He gulped nervously, knowing he could never compete with what she had drawn but yet, he felt a bit confident with his drawing this time.

That's what he thought.

"Now you." She reminded him as she placed her canvas back onto the easel. He sighed and closed his eyes, lifting his canvas up to tlit it a little so she could see roughly what he had drawn.

Hae Lynn didn't know if she should laugh or if she should just shut up. Not because it was funny, not because it was badly drawn, because she doesn't even know what he drew. He placed it back on the easel and opened his eyes to look at her. Crap, was it really that bad? Kyungsoo's self esteem has just left the building.

"So...?" He dragged the word, seeking for a comment about his drawing. Good, bad, whatever. He just wanted something.

She raised two of her thumbs up and smiled cheekily. "It looks fantastic!"

"You don't even know what the hell this is, huh?" He saw it right through her and she let her hands fall onto her lap with an apologetic look on her face. "Yeah..." She mumbled meekly, letting her smile fade away as he looked away and sighed for the umpteenth time today. "Forget it."

"No no no!" She waved her hands as she tried to convince him to make him feel better. He glanced at her way and scoffed. 

"It's nice!"

His head darted back ot her with an eyebrow raised. "Really?"

"I... just don't know what it is."

A flick on her forehead came her way and she scrunched her nose up a little, rubbing her forehead. "What was that for?!"

He smirked and shrugged, "I don't know. You were being annoying."

She simply raised her hand to land a soft slap on his cheek, causing him to emit a soft gasp. He placed his hand on where he had slapped her and turned to glare at her slightly. "What-?!"

"Rude." She cut him off quickly and faced front to stare at her canvas and he rolled his eyes, turning away to face front as well.

He clicked his tongue expectedly, letting his hand fall with a small smile on his face, "I thought so."

 

"How the hell is that two kids holding hands with each other?!" Chanyeol burst out laughing as he clutched onto his stomach as he tried so hard not to laugh but he failed miserably, causing the few boys on the table to hold in their laughter. No one could actually blame Chanyeol actually, the drawing was that bad. It didn't look like two kids at all, it looked like two distorted mannequins trying to hold onto one another but because of the gap between them, they failed miserably. "I hope you choke on your food, Chanyeol." Kyungsoo mumbled softly, staring at the table as he put away the canvas by placing it on the floor.

"Chanyeol, stop it." Joon Myun threw a french fry at Chanyeol's head but Chanyeol simply ignored the older one's request. Sehun too, held back the urge to smile. Although Sehun's drawing skills wasn't as good as Hae Lynn's, it wasn't as bad as Kyungsoo's one either. "It's a nice drawing." Sehun commented unexpectedly, causing everyone on the table to look at him weirdly. Has he gone bonkers?

Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow, looking at Sehun cautiously. "Excuse me?"

"I'm not repeating it twice." Sehun shrugged, getting up from the table with a smirk. "I'm done eating. Catch you guys later."

With that being said, Sehun left the table, walked across the canteen to get to Hae Lynn's table. Kyungsoo clenched his fists underneath the table, knowing there's more behind the words Sehun had said earlier.

 

"Hey you." Sehun whispered into Hae Lynn's ears, removing her bag to sit down beside her and she tensed up, turning her head to look at Sehun with a surprised look. "W-What are you doing?" She blurted out but he shrugged, feeling comfortable with sitting down beside her. "Sitting down, I guess."

"You know that's not what she meant." Nicole said sardonically and Sehun gave her a small smile.

"I just felt like sitting with you guys."

"Oh really?" Nicole asked with an eyebrow raised and he leaned closer to poke her nose. "Yeah, really."

"You just don't want to sit with Kyungsoo, huh?" Nicole read it all on Sehun's face and Sehun simply raised his index finger to place it on his lips, "Hush up, you."

Nicole rolled her eyes and glanced at her watch. She shot up like a rocket and snatched her bag from the seat. "Crap! I forgot something!"

Sehun and Hae Lynn stared at a very panicky Nicole who immediately dashed out of the cafeteria without saying anything. The way she was running out of the door was enough to make them laugh a little. Hae Lynn smiled wider when she could've sworn she saw Joon Myun getting up the moment Nicole shot off like that from a distance. Soon she'll be Mrs. Joon Myun. Hae Lynn snickered at the thought but she was brought back to earth when a hand waved in front of her.

She turned to look at Sehun and she pressed her lips together, "Yeah?"

"You seem... pretty occupied with your thoughts lately. Everything alright?"

Hae Lynn smiled and nodded once - but she doesn't know what she's feeling. It's been two weeks with Kyungsoo but she doesn't even know how to be proper friends with him. She doesn't know if she's friends, or enemies with him. Frenemies? She really has no clue. She even begins to wonder why she's thinking about it so much but there was never an answer to her. There was this deep feeling in her gut that maybe, just maybe she has fallen for a guy she had just met but was it possible?

It's been a long while since she ever had a crush on a person and she doesn't want to think about it.

The thought of crushing on someone and holding it in before you confess was agonizing.

It would be utterly heartbreaking if that person rejects you as well.

There was so many thoughts running in Hae Lynn's mind - it was driving her insane.

"Huh?" Hae Lynn blurted out as her head darted to Sehun who had poked her by her waist, her sensitive spot. "What's going on in that mind of yours, Miss Kim?"

"Nothing." Hae Lynn assured with a warm smile and he decided to let her have her way - he hasn't seen that smile in a long while considering the two were busy with school. During practice she was late and she would go home a bit later than the rest while he had to return early - there was no time to converse so these were the very few minutes he could just talk to someone he'd rather talk to from anyone in the whole school.

"HAE LYNN!" A loud voice shouted from the doors of the cafeteria. Hae Lynn jerked up in her seat and Sehun's body tensed as he searched for the person who had called her out like that. He was right when Minhyuk stood beside Hae Lynn, reaching for her hand to pull her up. "W-What, Minhyuk?"

He panted as he gripped onto her hand, "I need you to follow me for a moment!"

"Why?" She asked cautiously but he simply shook his head quickly and looked over Hae Lynn's shoulder to look at Sehun.

"You come along too! Quick!" Minhyuk raised his voice as he immediately dragged Hae Lynn out of the cafeteria with Sehun following them out of the cafeteria.

 

"What do you think happened?" Kai asked as he looked up to eye his friends on the table. His lips parted when he noticed the only people left were himself and Baekhyun. "Where the hell-"

"Joon Myun dragged Chanyeol with him to go after Nicole. Sehun just left the cafeteria - you saw that."

"What about Kyungsoo-?"

"Where do you think?" Baekhyun asked with a tinge of playfulness and Kai caught on quick.

"I see." Kai smirked as he slurped on his drink.

"I'll bet you five bucks he'll fall in love with her before this year ends." Baekhyun challenged Kai who raised his eyebrow, pulling the straw out from his lips. "I'll bet he'll fall in love with her after the school trip in a few months time."

"You're on." 

The two shook on it, awaiting to see who would win the bet.

 

 


A/N : So... I discontinued Wandering Love because I really couldn't go on with it and basically, it felt like no one was reading because no one comments ._. So I decided to continue this instead x) Since this one has a better response. And I'm back! xD