Inevitable Events

The Change Of My Heart

Chapter Eleven : Inevitable Events

Updated on 4th of November 2013.

Looks like you're coming with me, Hae Lynn.
 

"H-Hospital? What?" Hae Lynn's eyes widened as she gripped onto the counter. "Yes. Here is your permission slip to leave school for an hour." The receptionist handed her a small paper with details confirming she could leave school. She checked the time the hospital called the school authorities and it was just ten minutes ago. Panic rose in her as she quickly snatched her bag back from Sehun who was holding it the whole time.

"I-I've got to go." Hae Lynn muttered softly as she brushed past Sehun and Minhyuk to get out of the school's office. Before Minhyuk or Sehun could try to go...

"Ahem,"

The two spun back around to be greeted with the receptionist's stern look.

"I know the two of you like her, but calm down. She'll be back at school soon. Interrogate her then. Get to your classes."

 

When she left the office, she sprinted all her way out to the front gate with only the thought to reach the hospital as soon as possible. She ran right past Kyungsoo who stood a distance from her as he stared at her. He doesn't know why, and he didn't know how he brought himself here but he did.

Even he's starting to wonder what's wrong with his priorities because she isn't one of them.

He gulped and revealed himself from his hiding spot, trying to catch up with her as curiosity filled his mind to wonder what was going on. He could see the look on her face as she ran, why? Why was the look on her face? Why did she have a slip of paper in her hands? So many questions entered his mind as if he cared - as if. His eyes widened when a small scream came from her and his eyes darted to land on Hae Lynn who was now on the ground, clutching onto her ankle. He hissed and immediately ran after her to ensure he was the first one there to aid her as he crouched down beside her as he swatted her hands away.

"How can you be so clumsy?!"

"I-It's not my fault!" She raised her voice back at him, stunning him completely - she has never raised her voice like that at him before.

Kyungsoo gulped and tried to press on where he could see it hurt. A small hiss came from Hae Lynn as she tried to push his hand away. Not because it hurt that bad, because it was the first time he voluntarily touched her, or even tried to help. "Where are you going?" Kyungsoo asked cautiously as he eyed her. She pressed her lips together, not wanting to answer - what does it have to do with him anyway? She's been seeing him everywhere enough. With those pair of eyes staring into her soul, she had to give in.

"My grandmother is in the hospital. They didn't tell me what was going on but I have to go there now."

"And then this." She muttered softly, looking down on her ankle.

As much as Kyungsoo didn't want to, he knew he had to help her. He looked around to see if anyone was looking and no one was around - they were inside the school compound and based on how she ran out of the office like that, Sehun and Minhyuk couldn't follow her because they didn't have a slip to leave. Plus, even if they tried to leave, the school authorities would've caught them... but Kyungsoo was already near the gate and if he were to just run out, no one could say anything - even if he left his belongings here.

Kyungsoo offered a hand when he pulled his hands away from her ankle. Her eyes blinked rapidly at him, questioning him what he was doing even though she knew very well. "You can't just sit there and expect to be teleported to the hospital." Kyungsoo snapped at her and she exhaled heavily before reaching for his hand. If she didn't need to be at the hospital urgently, she wouldn't have accepted his help but then again... she probably would because it was rare to see this. His hand was somewhat softer with an assurance of firmness that she would've never imagined.

He pulled her up with enough force to make her stand up but with enough gentleness to make sure he wasn't too rough. When she was up, he had letten go of her hand quicker than she wished. "Does it hurt that bad? Can you walk?" He asked carefully - allowing her to sense the concern he had in his voice even if it was just a little. "I... I don't know. I have to get there quick. Thanks." She said in one go before brushing past him to take a few small steps and soon she tried to run again.

It wasn't even for a distance when she fell to the ground again, causing Kyungsoo to feel more and more agitated.

How can a girl do this to herself?

Kyungsoo shook his head in annoyance and immediately crouched down in front of her with his back facing her. "Get on."

Her eyes widened and for some reason, her heart skipped a beat as she looked down on the boy before her. He was so cold when he met her and after a week, they were almost getting along but then it would fade away and now he was offering her a piggyback ride? Who died and made him change? 

And honestly? This is the side of him she'd rather see everyday - not the cold hearted one she greets every morning.

"W-What?" She said inaudibly but he hissed and looked over his shoulder to glare at her. "You need to be there quick, right?"

She nodded her head and clutched onto her bagpack strap. 

"Then hurry." His voice had this pinch of impatientness and she hesitated to get on but she lowered her body to make her arms go around his neck before she locked it. A gasp left her lips when he stood up and instinctively, her legs went around his waist as he hoisted her up to support her weight better by holding onto the under of her thighs before her kneecaps. The only thing on Kyungsoo's mind was to get her to the nearest bus stop to bring her to the hospital. He has no idea where this side of him came from but maybe it was because of his brotherly instincts he has when his sister was still alive.

"Hold on." He breathed out as he jogged out of the school compound with her on his back as if she weighed like a feather. 

"K-Kyungsoo," She called him out softly as he jogged to the nearest bus stop a distance away. "What? We're almost there."

"Let me down. I'll try to walk." 

He scoffed as he hoisted her up to make sure she didn't fall. "Oh yeah? And make you fall over again? No thanks." He snapped at her, making her seal her lips shut. She decided to just go with the flow as she rested her head at the back of his neck. Kyungsoo's body tensed up as he jogged but he didn't mind it. It had this feeling of warmth and gratitude that he wouldn't mind feeling.

Why is the bus stop so near?  Kyungsoo shrugged it off and hurriedly quicken his pace to catch the bus in time.

 

"I found it!" Nicole beamed as she stretched her arm underneath the teacher's desk, reaching for her notebook - a rather important one. "Damn it." She huffed when she couldn't get it. "Need a hand?" A voice spoke up from the door and she lifted her head too quick, bumping onto the edge of the hard desk. "Ah..." She hissed softly, rubbing her head as she moved away from the desk only to allow him to rub her head with an apologetic look on his face.

"Sorry, I should've knocked." He whispered softly and her eyes fluttered open to meet with his heavenly smile.

"J-Joon Myun..."

"I'll get it for you." He smiled, giving her head one last soft pat before he lied down on the ground and extended his arm to reach underneath the desk to retrieve the notebook as if it was something important to him. It wasn't really important to him nor did he see the importance of it but, anything important to Nicole, has already became important for Joon Myun. Nicole gulped when Joon Myun had her notebook in his hands as he turned around to kneel down before her with her doing the same. 

"What's this?" He asked and she tried to snatch it away but he let out an amused whistle as he got off the floor.

"Joon Myun! Give that back!" She whined a little as she chased him around the empty classroom to get the notebook. There was something in the last page that he shouldn't...

"Joon Myun is so handsome," Joon Myun read it outloud unintentionally, not knowing those were the words she had written.

His eyes widened as he halted his tracks to continue reading. She let out a soft 'Aish' as she hit her own forehead before turning away from him to let her back face him. I'll just tell him it's a dare. Just a dare.  A stupid stupid dare!

"He's so cool and I like him so much. For two years..." His voice trailled off and his head lifted up to eye the girl who he could only see from the back. He glanced down on the book and immediately took out his phone to take a few pictures of the last page of her notebook. She spun back around, embarrassed when she heard sounds of camera clicks but it stopped before she turned around. She marched up to him and snatched her notebook back with a slight glare that couldn't last long because of how he looked like.

"S-Stop! D-Delete those photos! This was just a dare!" She stuttered through her words as he leaned closer, making her stumble backwards but she managed to stand up properly. He's so close... "Dare? Or..." He reached for her hand to place it on her chest, above her heart. "Feelings?"

She swallowed hard and kept his phone back into his pocket after pulling his hand away from hers.

"I'm afraid I can't delete these photos, Nicole."

She hissed and gripped on tightly onto her notebook. "W-Why not?"

He simply smiled at her lovingly before leaning down to whisper on her lips,

"Because I'll feel good reading this over and over again on my darkest and greyest days - knowing that someone feels the same way I do for them."

Her lips parted and she couldn't even think or see straight at the moment. What was happening now... is it real?

"I'll talk to you some other time, our class is starting soon." He gave her an affectionate pat on the head before he happily walked out of the class with his hands in his pockets - feeling happier than he's ever been. She on the other hand, sighed as she looked down on the notebook. She opened her notebook and a piece of paper fell off. She furrowed her eyebrows as she's never seen that paper but she picked it up nonetheless.

Her eyes widened when it was Joon Myun's handwriting. Could it be-?

'I like you too, Nicole. Meet me after school.'

By far the best day of her life - period.

 

"What did the doctor say?" Kyungsoo asked as they walked back slowly towards their school. "They said that she collapsed when she went to work today and she needs to rest in the hospital for a few days. Long hours cooking in a restaurant isn't good for her body especially with the heat from the deep fryers and the stove. Her immune system is weak and... well... she's getting older..."

Hae Lynn clasped her hands together in the front as she exhaled heavily. Even she knew that this stage of life for her grandmother was inevitable but... she wants to have her grandmother around for as long as she can - appreciate her enough before her grandmother leaves this world to join her biological mother and her grandfather.

"Will... she be alright?"

Hae Lynn shrugged her shoulders as they walked by the sidewalk, the gate to their school was near but Kyungsoo magically wished it was still miles away, so he could talk to Hae Lynn. He had to admit that this was a side he's never seen from Hae Lynn before. So calm and... somewhat not in high spirits. Of course seeing her happy and smiling all the time was indeed a pleasant sight but sometimes it was just too loud.

This was the side he'd rather see but it disheartens him knowing it was something painful that makes her act this way.

"I don't know." She said monotonously and for the first time, he's never seen her so lost before.

"The doctors said that she's not young anymore - she's aging day by day and she's getting weaker but she still pushes herself to work. They said that during this age, for her, it's advisable for her to rest more than work. If only our bodies were created to last forever..."

"That would mean we would all be immortal, Hae Lynn."

She let out a soft, sad laugh as they stopped walking - they reached the front gate of their school.

"Yeah but... that would've been pretty cool. Thanks for everything, Kyungsoo. I'm sorry if I was annoying throughout the whole thing but I'll try to be less annoying from now on. See you... when I see you."

With that, she gave a small bow before she carefully walked back into the school compound to get to her next class.

Kyungsoo sighed when all he could do was watch her go in. Even though her grandmother is in the hospital, he could still see she was trying to be happy and positive about this but no one knows it's that hard for her because her grandmother was the only family member she has left.

Before Kyungsoo could go in, his phone beeped in his pocket and he looked around to see if the security guards or any teachers were around to catch him but there was no one. He mentally thanked God and pulled out his phone only to groan at the caller ID.

"Yes... mom?"

"Take Hae Lynn back with you when you get back home."

He furrowed his eyebrows and lifted his chin to see Hae Lynn a distance from him, walking back to her class. "Why?"

"Just take her back home. We all need to talk. Please."

With that, his mother hung up first - for the first time ever in his life and he scoffed softly looking at his phone screen.

 

Looks like you're coming with me, Hae Lynn.

 

 

 


A/N : It feels so good to see some feedback on this story x) I thought you guys forgot about this story. Heh, so I'll try to keep the updates coming to the end. Hopefully I don't give up ._. Cheerio! xoxo

P.s. - If you like this story, pitch in a vote? :) Thank you! <3 [I'll try to update everyday]