A Day in Hiding

Safe and Sound

The gate clicked opened and Junghwa pushed it open, walking into the front. She closed it behind her and quickly made her way to the front door where she saw Woohyun waiting there with a small smile. Junghwa made her way up to him and quickly hugged him.

“I’m sorry,” she mumbled into his chest. Woohyun wrapped his arms around her, burying her body into his as if molding them together. “I’m sorry if you’re in trouble because of me.”

“It’s alright,” he told her. Woohyun pulled away from her. “Come on, we should talk inside.” He pulled her behind him and closed the door, making sure to lock the door. He turned to looked at Junghwa. “Hey, what’s the long face?” He asked.

Junghwa just looked at him and gave him a small smile. “Please, take off your shoes, make yourself comfortable.” Junghwa looked at him and he gave her a small nod. She took off her flats and slipped her feet in a pair of white slippers. Woohyun held out his hand and

Junghwa took it. He led her to the living room. “Sit down, I’ll go get us snacks then we can talk.” He said before letting go of her hand and heading towards the kitchen.

She took in a few deep breaths and exhaled. She felt her body calm down more than before. Junghwa looked around the living room and saw pictures that hung on the wall. All of Woohyun and his parents from when he was a baby until now, Junghwa had to admit his family was rather cute. His father was handsome and his mother was beautiful.

Woohyun looked like his father more than his mother. But he had her eyes and nose.

Woohyun came back out with a tray of fruit and rice snacks along with juice. He placed them on the coffee table in front of them. “Eat some if you want. My mom said lunch will be ready soon.”

Junghwa looked at him. “Your mom?” She asked in surprise. “She’s here?”

“Yeah, my mom is here,” He told her.

Junghwa nodded her head. She opened her purse and took out the folded newspaper she had kept. Woohyun looked at her as she took it out and unfolded it. She held the newspaper out towards Woohyun who took it from her.

He read the title of the article and his eyes widened. He looked at Junghwa who motioned for him to continue reading the article. When he was done, she could tell he was shocked, hell, who wouldn’t be shocked if they read an article and found things out that they didn’t even know of?!

“You’re the Lee Junghwa?” He asked, “ Daughter of Mr. Lee of Lee Corps?” He gulped and looked at the  girl in front of him who bit her bottom lip.

“Don’t say it like that,” she face palmed. “Don’t be mad at me. This is why I didn’t want to tell you anything.” Junghwa let out a groan and looked at Woohyun with a small pout.

Woohyun looked at her before he stood up and squatted in front of her. “Don’t do that, Junghwa,” his voice was gentle as he spoke to her, “I don’t know what to do, but I’ll be trying my best to make it better.” Woohyun took her hands off her face and looked at her with soft, gentle eyes. “Am I the only one that’s feeling this way?” He quietly asked her.

Junghwa looked at him and shook her head. “No, you’re not the only one,” she mumbled. Leaning forward and rested her forehead on his and closed her eyes. “What are we going to do, oppa?”

“Stay like this for as long as I can hold my legs still?” He joked. Junghwa opened her eyes and sat up straight. Her lips curled upwards in a smile as she looked at him.

“Woohyun,” someone called him from the kitchen.

“Mom?” She asked, with a smile on her face. It’s been a while since she’s heard the soft voice of a mother.

Woohyun nodded his head. “Yes?” He replied to his mother, turning his head to the kitchen.

“Lunch is ready,” she told him, “Bring your friend and come and eat!”

Woohyun looked at Junghwa and smiled. He stood up and made a groaning noise. He held out his hand and she took it. Woohyun hoisted her up to her feet and led her to the dining room his mother was setting up the table. On the table were three bowls of rice with a spoon and chopstick to the right and a glass of water to the left.

“Where’s your dad?” She asked him as they sat down besides each other.

“He’s at work,” he said as he fixed his chair. Woohyun took her bowl and placed some meat in it and vegetables, trying to give her a variety of different kinds of food there was. He wanted her to be healthy and stable for what was to come.

“That’s a lot of food you put on my plate,” she quietly said while looking at her bowl which was filled to the top.

Mrs. Nam sat down across from Junghwa and smiled at her. “Eat as much as you want, dear. I have plenty of food in the kitchen.”

“Thank you,” Junghwa bowed her head and began to eat. Her eyes widened as she chewed on her food. “What is this?” She asked after she swallowed.

“That’s Japchae. Have you ever eaten it?” Mrs. Nam asked with a surprised smile on her face.

“I never have,” Junghwa shook her head but continued to eat more.

Mrs. Nam let out a laugh. “Well, you can always come over and I can cook this for you. Woohyun doesn’t like eating this.”

Junghwa turned to Woohyun. “How can you not like this?” She laughed. Woohyun began laughing along with her.

After a delicious meal and helping Mrs. Nam with cleaning up, the three of them went into the living room. Junghwa saw the paper on the table but before she could grab it, Mrs. Nam had it in her hands. Junghwa silently cursed herself as she and Woohyun sat down on the other couch.

Junghwa had her purse in her lap. She heard her phone vibrate and she dug it out. She received a text message from her mom.

From: Mom

Do you have somewhere to stay? The house is surrounded by the press.

To: Mom

Yeah, I have somewhere to stay for now.

From: Mom

I’ll call you when it’s all clear and you can come home.

Junghwa filled her cheeks with air. She looked at Woohyun and to his mother who, was now, reading the article on her and Woohyun. Mrs. Nam placed the newspaper on the table and looked at the two of them.

“Are you in trouble, dear?” She asked Junghwa who slowly nodded her head. “Do you want to stay here for a day or two? You know, let your parents cool down then return?”

Junghwa nodded her head, once again. “If that’s fine with you,” she said with a small smile.

“Of course it’s fine. I always wanted to see my baby’s girlfriend! He kept talking about how he first met you and-- oh, let me go and some pictures for you to see!” She squealed and ran off upstairs to get the pictures.

Woohyun groaned. “This is going to be so embarrassing!” He cried out in frustration.

“Awe, is the boyfriend getting embarrassed already?” Junghwa pinched his cheeks. Woohyun felt his body heat up tremendously.

Click. The noise of the camera went off. Woohyun looked at his mom who was smiling like crazy.

“Mom!” He groaned.

“I want to see the picture!” Junghwa said excited about the fact  that there was a picture of her and Woohyun. Junghwa went towards Mrs. Nam and looked at the camera screen. “This is a nice picture! Can you print this for me?” Junghwa asked.

“I’ll make three copies,” Mrs. Nam told her with a giggle.

“Woah, thank you, eomeoni- I mean Mrs. Nam.” Junghwa corrected herself.

“Oh, call me eomeoni!”

Junghwa gave a bright smile to her and looked at Woohyun who was smiling to himself.

For the whole day, Woohyun and his mother and Junghwa spent their time looking at Woohyun’s baby pictures and homemade videos of him from birth till he was graduated college. Woohyun and Junghwa’s feelings began to grow with each second they spent together. This was a good way to spend a day in hiding from the press.