Safe and Sound

Safe and Sound

Love, isn't it beautiful? So beautiful and so cruel. Yet love is something that keeps people sane or it makes them insane. But, for Junghwa and Woohyun, it was their sanity.

It's been a week since she left home and stayed with Woohyun. His place was now her home, he was her home now. Deep down, they both knew that they were being played with right now. They both knew that they were being joked around with right now with everyone. With her staying here having no contact from her family, she knew they were waiting for her to get comfortable before they broke her, before they broke Woohyun.

 

So sad, so mean, so cruel. Junghwa and Woohyun were both sick and that resulted from the prior week of them being separated. That hellish week of being separated from each other, both so pale, so skinny, so fragile. Woohyun didn't know what to do, neither did Junghwa. They were just so burdensome to his mother and father right now. Yet, Mrs. Nam had to thank her for coming, for showing up at her doorstep sick from the rain, from crying, from longing; she had to be thankful she was feeling the same emotions Woohyun felt at the moment, she couldn't help but cherish her so much, yet, at the end of the day, they all knew what was going to come rushing in like tornado.

 

Today, the weather seemed to be mocking them with the sun out, all bright and sunny out. While the two of them were inside his room, bundled up in blankets. Junghwa's head was on top of Woohyun's chest. Her eyes were closed as she thought about life, and how it was so far. And so far, it was horrible right now. Horrible because she knew she couldn't do anything but wait for the storm to roll in again.

 

How was she supposed to do anything when there was absolutely nothing left to do?

 

So pathetic, she thought. So weak, so helpless.

 

Wasn't life fun? So fascinating in so many ways that it makes you wonder just how it all works; cause really, how does the earth spin, how does the sun shine, why is the moon even up at night, why do we live to just die?

 

Closing her eyes tighter, she swallowed that lump formed in and felt tears spill out of her closed eyes. She let out a quiet cry, as she began to drench Woohyun's shirt. Junghwa felt his arm weakly wrap around her body as he comforted her. He, himself, knew what she was thinking at the moment, and he couldn't do anything to help her with that, because, he knew he couldn't do anything. If he were to go out and fight that war, he'd be long gone.

 

"Shh, don't cry, baby, please, don't cry," He said, trying to comfort her.

 

Junghwa cried harder, having all of her tears spill out uncontrollably and she clutched his tee-shirt in her hands, holding onto him tightly. "I don't want to let go of you," She cried. "I don't. I really don't!"

 

"Then don't let go," Woohyun said. "Then don't let go of me, because, I have no intentions on letting you go either."

 

Junghwa looked at the wall with blurry eyes and nodded her head. So numb. She felt oh so numb, she couldn't even smile anymore. Was this how it felt like when you loved someone so much that you couldn't do anything but cry and wish everything bad was gone. Was this really how the world worked?

 

Woohyun held onto her as if that was the last time he'd ever touch her, as if that'd be the last time he'd ever hold her in his arms. He squeezed her tight and placed kisses on the top of her head, showing affection, showing love to her, telling her that she'd be fine with him.

 

I'll keep you safe from the war. When the sun goes down, please, just hold onto me because I'll keep you safe. Even if there's a war outside, I'll protect you, I'll keep you safe and sound from the battle being fought. Let me hold you before it's late, let me kiss you before you sleep, let me see you before it's dark, because, dear, you're my light, you're my only sanity, my clarity, when the dark clouds roll in, a tornado might come and blow you away from me. But until then, I'll keep you safe and sound.

 

.