Together

Safe and Sound

 

Woohyun was in the middle of packing his clothes when there was a knock at his door. Saying a quiet come in, he could tell the footsteps taken were of his mothers. His hands stopped moving as he lifted his head and turned to the right where he saw her standing there, looking at his bag with this packed clothes. "Hi mom," he greeted her with a faint smile on his face. One that could never reach his eyes because he didn’t know of the outcome of the decision Junghwa and he were making.  

 

"You're going?” She askd, taking a step towards him to look in his bag to see what he's packed. "Why is my baby leaving me?" She whispered, still looking at his bag. Woohyun could see her tears falling and dropping on his light gray bag. Turning her head to look at him, she began to ball. Woohyun took a step forward and wrapped his arms around his mothers petite frame.

 

"I'll come back home, mom," he told her, hugging her like his father had done so before he had left to Ulsan for work. "I promise you, I'll come back home to visit you after everything calmed down in Seoul." Woohyun's heart broke after he heard his mother's sobs grew louder. "Mom, I promise you, I'll call you," Woohyun choked on the lump that formed in his throat as he spoke.

 

"Why can't you stay here?" She cried. "Why can't you and her just stay here with me?"

 

"You know we can't stay here," he said softly. "They'll look for her here first."

 

"I don't want this house to be empty. I can't let anyone else leave the house. If you go, who will I have to cook for? Who will I have to be happy for?" She questioned him as she

held onto her son.

 

"Be happy for dad," Woohyun said. "Be happy for dad because he's going to come home this weekend, remember?"

 

"But my son is leaving me," she cried harder. "My baby that I've raised is going to leave me!"

 

"I'm not leaving you, mom, I'm just going on a trip, okay? Just a trip and I'll be back home as soon as possible." Now Woohyun had started to cry. After he heard his mother's

words of her missing him when he'd leave, he felt that he almost couldn't go now. Not after hearing her cry so much because he, her only son, was leaving to go with the girl he loved so much. Woohyun wasn't even sure when they'd be coming back though. The only thing he knew for a fact that he'd come home after everything has settled.

 

He pulled his mother away from him and looked at her. "I promise you,” he began, “I'll call you once we've made it somewhere." His mother nodded her head. "Good, now I have to finish packing my clothes."

 

"I'll be downstairs with Junghwa, helping make the food for you two to take on the trip." she said quickly leaving his room before she'd cry again.

 

Woohyun was left alone to pack his clothes and he began to roll them up in order for them all to fit in his bag. He took out his red and black backpack from the corner of his room and placed his phone charger, wallet, and everything else that didn't fit his duffel. Ten minutes later, he left his room, and made his way downstairs where his mom and Junghwa were. He placed his bag by the front door before going into the kitchen, where he saw the two making kimbap; he leaned against the frame of the sliding door of the kitchen and watched the two for a few minutes before Junghwa turned her head and saw Woohyun standing there. She gave him a smile before continuing rolling the kimbap together.

 

Something I've been wishing to see. He thought to himself as a big grin was painted on his face. He's had this scene stuck in his head for the longest time, where his mom and that special girl of his would be cooking together,  but it wasn't supposed to play like this-- the part of their story where they were trying to run away--no, it wasn't supposed to be like that. It was supposed to be the story where the two of them were married and they had everything they needed. He wanted the story where he and the love of his life could live happily together. But, this right here, right now, was not the story he had imagined in his head.

 

Woohyun snapped out of his thoughts as he heard Junghwa's voice call his name. "Woohyun," she had called again, "We're done, we can leave now.” With a small smile she had went over towards the door and slipped on her black converse. He saw his mother talking to Junghwa and gave her a tight hug. He also saw Junghwa wipe away her falling tears from her face. His mother made her way over towards him and he broke into a sob as he felt her hug him again.

 

"Why are you crying?" She sniffled. "Why is my baby boy crying right now?"

 

"I love you so much, mom." He told her unsaid words that he's never told her before. Mrs. Nam couldn't hold back her sobs as she cried hearing those words that's been unsaid for so long.

 

"I love you too," she said. Slowly, she felt Woohyun pull away from her and she felt a part of her die. She knew the moment he walked out of that door, he'd be leaving her for god knows how long. She wanted to hold him longer. She wanted her baby to stay with her, she wanted him and Junghwa to stay here with her. "Take care of her," her voice was soft now as she pushed Woohyun towards the door. "Go," she said. "Hurry and go."

 

Woohyun slipped on his gray converse and grabbed his bag before unlocking the door with Junghwa following behind him. He held out his hand for her to take. Woohyun could hear his mother sobbing now, but he didn't dare turn back to look at her. He felt so guilty not being able to go and comfort his mother right now, but he knew she'd push him away and force him to leave.

 

"Let's go," he choked on a sob as he closed the trunk. He took one last look at the house and saw his mother still crying at the door he closed his eyes for a moment before getting into the drivers seat with Junghwa in the passengers side. . "We'll stay together. I promise I won't leave you," He took her hand and placed a small kiss on  her palm.

 

Junghwa began to sob as she felt his tears fall on her hand. "We'll come back here," she promised him that as she felt her heart ache from seeing his mom cry. "Don't worry, Woohyun, we'll be back in no time."

She didn't know whether or not to believe her own words, but she tried. This isn't what they wanted.