Lee Family

Safe and Sound

Crash! 

The picture frame fell to the ground, cracking and breaking, shards of sharp glass scattered around the area where she stood. Her breathing came out short and quick as she looked at her parents. “How does it feel to have something perfectly fine break? Something that did absolutely nothing wrong to you break?” Junghwa interrogated the two people standing in front of her.

“Darling,” her mother calmly said. “Let’s be reasonable, now.” She tried smiling at her daughter. Her right eye began to twitch as she saw heard Junghwa yell. 

“No!” Junghwa exclaimed. “You be reasonable!” She sneered at her mother before taking her magnolia, Loius Vuiotton purse from the black, leather sofa and stormed out of the house, closing the door with a bang.

“Mrs. Kim,” her mother called. An older lady, around late forties, came out from the kitchen and looked at the mess on the ground. “Please?” Mrs. Lee asked her.

“Of course," Mrs. Kim smiled at her. "Just one moment,” Mrs. Kim said and went back into the kitchen before reappearing with a broom and dust pan in her hands. “Another one?” She asked her. Jin Ae nodded her head and let out a tired sigh. 

“Of course it just had to be one of those boys,” her father, Mr. Lee (also known as Dae Ho), answered. “Does that girl not know who to associate with?”

Mrs. Kim let out a small chuckle. “Sir, I think she just wants to feel like a normal girl that doesn’t want to date someone like her. Youngsters these day, always wanting to explore their options,” she said lightly as she finished cleaning the mess. She picked up the picture frame and smiled at it. When the young mistress didn’t know a thing of boys and could never yell, she thought to herself as she placed the picture on the table before returning to the kitchen to throw away the dust pan full of glass. 

“Just like your brother,” Junghwa’s grandmother, Dae Ho's mother, said as she descending the stairs.

“Quite like her uncle, indeed.” Dae Ho sighed. “Such a bother,” he commented. 

“Don’t say that about our daughter, darling.” Jin Ae defended.

“That’s the reason why she’s like this now,” Mrs. Lee said. “Her parents won’t allow her to be happy. All that child wants is love. You call her a bother, these days are the first time that I’ve heard Jung yell. You know her, she barely raises her voice. You two need to learn about the world before you say anything.”

“We just want her date within her class, mother, is that so hard?” Jin Ae looked at her with tired eyes. This isn't the first time her mother-in-law had scolded the two of them on how to properly raise their child. Jin Ae thought that it wasn't their fault that Junghwa had turned out like this. Dae Ho and her believed that it was the boys that she had kept hanging out with. 

“We can’t possibly trust those people with our little princess. God knows what they’re going to do to her. Their family has not respect, we need Junghwa to find someone responsible enough to take care of both, her and the company.” Dae Ho tried explaining to his mother, "Plus, she's at an age where she need to learn that everything she does will effect the family. It'll affect the way the comapny works and how people look at us. Appa worked hard to get us where we are and I'm not letting it go to waste." 

Mrs. Lee looked at her son and shook her head in disbelief. "You are too crazy," she muttered under her breath before she made her way towards the kitchen where Mrs. Kim was. "Be careful before she leaves you two," she said as she entered the kitchen. 

“She would never leave us! We give her everything she’s ever wanted!” Jin Ae said. 

“Aigoo, what are we going to do with our daughter?" Dae Ho sighed before going up to his study. Leaving Jin Ae in the living room, admiring the broken picture frame on the table. 

A picture of the three of them. Jin Ae, Junghwa and Dae Ho, smiling happily at the camera, the picture was taken five years ago. It was when she first started taking interest in boys. Fifteen years old, an elite, that had an interest in boys that were simple. Nothing big, just simple, cute, and nice. Something everyone could ask for and receive.

Anything to make her smile, was what her parents always thought. That was until she brought home a boy who didn't meet her parents’ standards. Scared for more rejection from her very own family, it started to become a secret. One she thought she would only know, oh, how wrong was she. For those five years those three guys she has tried to date, had ended up being taken away. The power her parents had, had scared her, no doubt, but she always went against them as she tried her best to keep her life how she wanted it.