When Your Heart Stops

Safe and Sound

“Did you eat yet, dear?” A gentle voice called out from the kitchen.

“Yes, I already ate, mom,” Woohyun replied to his mother who was in the kitchen preparing dinner for the two of them. 

Woohyun got up from the small sofa and headed towards the front door. He slipped on his pair of worn out white converse and adjusted his his gray sweater that fit him comfortably. “I’ll be out for a little bit. I need some air,” he hollered to his mom.

“Alright. Don’t come home too late!” She told him still cooking in the kitchen. 

Smiling, Woohyun slipped out of the house and locked the door. He turned and began to walk around the city as he did his best to clear his mind as he watched people walk past him and how some of them flashed him a quick smile which he returned. His dark, curly brown hair began to blow with the wind as he kept walking through the cold, spring weather. He inhaled the "fresh" spring air as he continued to walk. 

Woohyun lived in a house with his mother, his father had left for work in a different city, but it wasn’t that bad. They managed to have a roof over their head, food on the table, shoes on their feet, and clothes on their back; it was a simple life, nothing complex, just plain and simple the way he liked it. He just thought it was peaceful. He had a stable job, he had a thing for singing; and of course, he was handsome, gentle, everything anyone could wish for. He was missing a girl to make his life complete. He was missing the one that he could spend the rest of his life with. 

But, he was waiting for the "perfect" girl to come in and sweep him off his feet. But, of course, it was not his time yet. Woohyun had to admit he did have a lot of girlfriends, they never lasted long so really to him. Sure, he had girlfriends in the past and as beautiful as they were, they never gave him that ‘umff’ feeling. It was just the usual crush with small butterflies in his stomach but nothing like how people describe it as where they stop breathing and it seems like time has frozen and only him and her are the things moving. That's what he was looking for.

So here he was in life, twenty-two years old and he was still waiting for the love of his life to walk in any minute. 

Wandering around the city, enjoying the scenery and for time to go by a little faster. He was looking at anything and everything. Woohyun walked into a park and began walking on the sidewalk, admiring the kids playing in the park. He turned his head and he found something that caught his eyes, making his heart stop and his lungs bagan looking for air. Is this what they called love at first sight? 

Woohyun stopped walking and looked across the park. Beautiful, he thought in awe. He felt his stomach do weird flips, he felt his heart beat faster than before as he looked at her, he couldn’t stop looking. He walked across the playground and slowly made his way towards her. He saw that she was looking at her phone with a small frown on her face.

Junghwa sat down on a bench. She felt weird being in the public eye so early in the evening where anyone can look at her and see that it’s her; The Lee Junghwa, daughter of Lee Dae Ho, chairman of Lee Inc. But right now she didn’t care. She wanted to be by herself. Well, not really, after two whole months of finding out her parents have been doing for the past five years, she wanted to just have a shoulder to cry on. A shoulder to vent to.

Woohyun slowly walked towards her bench and sat down next to her. “Are you okay?” He asked.

Junghwa looked to her right and saw him. He was absolutely breathtaking. Her heart started to beat faster in her chest. “Completely fine,” she smiled at him.

He looked at her for a moment then looked away. “If you want to, you can talk. I don’t mind.”

“I don't want to burden you," she said softly. "You might have a big mouth and tell someone," Junghwa added as she eyed him skeptically. She hoped the man didn't know who she was. 

“I'm not like that,” he said with a small frown on his lips. He looked at his wristwatch and saw he had more time to kill. "Would like to go somewhere with me? Grab a cup of coffee at Starbucks?” He offered.

“Alright,” she said. Her stomach had a thousand butterflies in her at that moment. "I'm up for it." She said and stood up from the bench. Woohyun followed after her. 

"This way," he motioned towards the opposite direction from where Junghwa began walking. 

Junghwa awkwardly laughed, "I knew that." 

The bell jingled as the two of them entered Starbucks. Woohyun led her to a table in the corner of the cafe and sat down. The smell of coffee was around them, that seemed to calm down both, Junghwa and Woohyun's racing heart.

"What would you like to order?" Woohyun asked. He got and pushed his chair in, and looked at her.

"I would like a Green tea frappuccino , please." She scratched her head.  

"Alright then, just wait a few minutes."

"Araso," she replied to him as she fixed her off-white sweater and fiddled with the zipper on her bag. She pulled her light brown hair to her right shoulder as she too in a deep breath., trying to calm herself down. 

Woohyun went to wait in line to order both of their drinks. Junghwa took her phone out of her purse and looked to see who had been bothering to call her. 5 missed calls from her mother, 8 new text messages. She opened the first one.

Come home. We need to talk to you. 

-mom

Junghwa scoffed to herself. Why would she want to talk to her right now? She silenced her phone and began playing candy crush as she waited for Woohyun to come with their drinks. 

"I just realized that I never got your name," Woohyun said as he placed the drinks on the table.

Junghwa's eyes widened and her lips curved in a smile. "I'm Lee Junghwa," she told him and grabbed her drink. "You are?" 

"Nam Woohyun," he smiled. "It's nice to finally know your name." 

Junghwa laughed at his words and continued to sip on her drink. Woohyun looked at her and how she drank her drink. By the time he was halfway done with is drink, she was almost done. He looked at her in awe and began drinking faster. Junghwa, who saw what he was doing and began to giggle to herself. 

"What's so funny?" He asked. 

"It's nothing" she reassured him. He looked at her with pouting lips. "Really!" Junghwa exclaimed. 

Woohyun began laughing at her reaction to him. After a few minutes of laughing, he began to calm down. He looked at his watch and saw the time. "I have to go now," he told her. 

"Oh," she said dejectedly.

Woohyun got up, but before he turned to go, he asked her: "Can I have your phone number?"

Junghwa froze for a moment, allowing her mind to process the words. She turned a deep shade of red. "Oh, yeah, can I have your phone?" She stuttered when she spoke. Woohyun unlocked his phone and handed her it. Junghwa took it and took out her phone, she entered her name and number in his phone and called hers. She handed him his phone back. "There you go, text me whenever, or call-- which ever one you want to do." She said. 

"Thank you. Have a nice evening. Feel better too!" Woohyun said to her before he left the coffee shop. 

Junghwa watched him walk away further before pulling out her phone and leaving the cafe to talk on the phone. She pressed 1 on speed dial and called her driver to come and pick her up. Because truthfully, she didn't know what part of Seoul she was in at the moment.  

Today was a very good day for both Junghwa and Woohyun.