When They Find Out

Safe and Sound

Daughter of Lee Corporation, Lee Junghwa is in a Relationship with an Unknown Man?

The front page of the newspaper read. Mr. Lee held it in front of Junghwa, and as she read the title she felt her heart plummet to the ground as she thought about Woohyun. She bit her bottom lip in worry and placed the paper newspaper on her lap and looked at her father.

“What are you going to do?” He sighed, looking at his troubled daughter who began to pick at her nails while looking at her mother who had her lips pressed in a fine line.

 

It was silent for a while before her mother began to speak. “Does he come from a wealthy family? Because if he does, just go talk to his parents and go sort things out.”

Junghwa turned her head to where her mother stood. “Yes! If he is, then do that!” Her father agreed too fast to her liking.

“He doesn’t come from a wealthy family,” she said quietly while fidgeting in her seat, trying her best to avoid eye contact with both of her parents.

“Another one again?” Her mother sighed, not trying to hide her irritation with her daughter.  “When will you learn to meet someone your level?” She said after so many times before. A huff escaped her lips as she crossed her arms over her chest and leaned against her husband’s desk.

 

“I don’t like people at our class,” she said quietly as she got up from her chair, “They don’t like the things I like. And that’s simple. I like simple more than extravagant. That’s why I don’t like them. Plus, they’re always snobby at parties, boasting about the newest item that they’ve received. “

“You are just like them too, dear. Don’t think so highly of yourself,” her mother spat. She was angry at the moment and she wasn’t going to hide that from her daughter. Junghwa should know better than to go against her words and of course, being as old as she is, she should be accepting the fact that this is how her life works. She is born with a name to uphold and a reputation to maintain. No one in the world begins with a clean slate.  

“Same goes for you,” Junghwa snapped before storming out of her father’s study with the newspaper in hand.

“Why you little brat, get back here!” Junghwa heard her mother call after her. She didn’t care, she went into her room and grabbed her purse, phone and key before going downstairs and slamming the front door closed.

Junghwa’s grandmother walked into the study and looked at her son and daughter-in-law with a disapproving look. “When will you give her a break?” She sat down in a chair in front of her Mr.  Lee’s desk. “You’re going too far here. Way too far.” She looked at her son who didn’t dare make eye contact with his mother.

 

“We are not; we’re only doing what’s best for her,” Jin Ae defended herself.

 

“You think you can tell what’s good for your daughter? Then tell me, why did you get married to my son?”

 

Jin Ae looked at her mother-in-law baffled by her words. “Because we loved each other, that’s why.”

“Exactly, you loved each other, but the only reason why my husband approved of the marriage was because you came from a wealthy family. I approved because you loved each other,” she told her. “Do the same for your daughter, my grandchild. My only grandchild that I can see,” she said before standing up and leaving the two alone to talk.

Daeho sighed and looked at his wife. “Are we doing the right thing?”

 


 

Junghwa dialed Woohyun’s phone number once she was in the safety of her own car. Her fingers lightly tapped her screen to call him and as she waited patiently for him to answer, she felt her stomach dance with nervous butterflies as the line continued to ring.

 

“Hello,” Woohyun answered.

 

“Tell me your address, because we need to talk.” Junghwa said as she her GPS.

“Oh, alright,” Woohyun sounded unsure but told her where he lived. Junghwa entered the address into her GPS and thanked him before hanging up.

She turned her key and the engine roared to life then she sped out of the driveway of the house. Her mind was clouded and all she could think of was Woohyun and his well being at the moment. She didn’t want this for him, plus, this was the first time this has happened to her. No one’s ever made an article about her and her private life. It’s always been on the surface that was made into an article, such as how she helped out at charity events and appeared at a grand opening of a new branch of the company, all of those things that made her image look good, but this-- this was different, this was between someone she met not so long ago but has already fallen heads over heels for.

Twenty minutes of driving, Junghwa had managed to arrive at Woohyun’s house. It was cute to her and it looked so… friendly in a way.

She grabbed her purse and phone from the passenger seat before getting out of the car and carefully heading towards the gate. She pressed the button and she heard Woohyun’s voice which seemed to calm her nerves.

“Woohyun, it’s me, can you open the gate, please?” Her voice sounded as if she was begging him to do so and it broke a piece of Woohyun’s heart hearing her voice like that.

 

 

==========

It's been 5eva since my last update, loves! A new tri is beginning and I've been working on edits and revision over my short break. Hope you enjoyed it!