His First Sunrise

Cherry Blossom Tree

Hara walks slowly to ER room. Myungsoo is still there. The medic thinks it's better if he stays in there for a while at least until his fever is cured. It's 03:35 AM. Hara has been awake since 3 AM, just like usual. Right now, she has a plan for Myungsoo. She thinks it's gonna be a fun plan. She sneaks out to the room and finds Myungsoo still laying in the deep sleep. Slowly she walks beside his bed. She's so careful, because she doesn't wanna wake up the guards or the nurses. 

"Ya! Kim Myungsoo. Wake up!" She whispered. Myungsoo startled because he's surprised. He slowly open his heavy eyes. His head is better now. He looks around and all he can see is the messy red hair and the wide innocent smile of Hara. 

"What is it?" He asks weakly. He still has the hoarse voice.

"Wake up! Let's get out of here!" She’s smiling cheerfully.

"Now?" Myungsoo asks in dazed.

"Of course now...come on!" She pulls him out of the bed. Slowly put down the blanket that covering him.

"But..."  He’s about to complain.

"No but! Come on, wake up." She urges him to get up from the bed

“It’s cold.” 

“Haishh…really….you’re a delicate boy!” She opens the wardrobe in the room and finds a thick coat and scarf.

“Here. Wear this.” Hara gives him the coat. He put it on without complaining. She even helps him put on the scarf in his neck.

“Come on…let’s go!” She says happily. They’re sneak out of the room. Hara walks in the front, seems cautious because she doesn’t wanna get caught leaving the dorm at this hour.

“Where are we going?” Myungsoo finally asks after following her effortlessly.

“Rooftoop.” 

“Why? Why we’re going to rooftop?”

“You’ve seen sunset a lot. Now let’s see the sunrise.” She’s smiling as they’re arriving to the stairs near the hall. It’s an emergency stair that leads them to the top of hospital building. The stair is very long and hard, making Myungsoo starts running of breathe. He’s leaning to the stair wall as his hands touching his forehead. He's dizzy. He’s still got fever after all.

“Wait a minute…” Myungsoo stops in the middle of the of the stairs. He tries to breathe properly. “I’m tired.” He said as he sits on the stair.

“Aigoo…you’re really. We don’t have time.” Hara looks upset. Her messy red hair makes her looks scary. Suddenly she grabs Myungsoo’s arm and starts to drags him carefully. Myungsoo is little bit surprised. He can do nothing but follow her with all his remaining energy. She’s so stubborn. After about 10 minutes, they reach the door that leads them to the rooftop. But it’s locked.

“It’s locked.” Myungsoo sighs. “We can’t open it.”  He said.

“Umm…but we can break it.” Hara is smiling with an evil expression. Myungsoo surprised when she suddenly takes a hammer from her coat pocket. ‘Did she really prepare it?’He thought. A few seconds later Hara broke the lock with the hammer successfully. Myungsoo looks at her in awe.

“Seems like this is not the first time you do that.”

“I lost count on how many times I did that.” She laughs. ‘God, this girl is scary’ Myungsoo thought.

They’re arrived to the building’s rooftop. It’s a wide area with a gentle breeze and a view of Seoul city. It’s still dark, but slowly the sky’s color starts to begin lighter. First it was black, later is grey, then turns into dark blue, then it’s bright blue…and suddenly it’s become red. No it’s more like orange. It’s beautiful and uplifting.

“At sunrise, everything is luminous but not clear. It’s transitory and I love it. I feel so blessed to discover that each new day; I have the opportunity to watch the sunrise. That’s why I always wake up at 3 AM. I love to see this moment.” She smiles while looking at the beautiful morning sky. Then he looks at Myungsoo. His eyes fixed at the sky. He’s looks in awe, but somehow he can’t say anything. He’s overwhelmed with many feelings.

“It’s the first time I see sunrise after 4 years.” He said while chuckles. Hara laughs at him.

“I don’t know if you’re a religious type or an atheist, but people said, if you want to be reminded of the love of the Lord, just watch the sunrise. It’s a God’s way of saying: Let’s start again.” The way she talks sound so wise.

“You sound like a priest.” Myungsoo teases.

“I know.” They laugh at each other. Myungsoo looks at the orange sky and sighs.

“I’m sorry…” Suddenly he said.

“What for?” 

“I became so much trouble yesterday.” He looks down.

“You were.” She smiles.

“Geez…you’re so honest.” Myungsoo laughs before leave a sigh. He looks hesistate, but he begins to talk.

“I hate myself actually. I hate the fact that I’m existed and alive, while he’s not. Because he’s so much better person than me. Somehow, I feel like he deserves it more than me.” Myungsoo suddenly starts telling his story. The whole story about how he was, about Hyunsoo, about what happened to them and about all the bad things that he has done to hurt himself. Hara just do nothing. She doesn’t say anything, not even move from the space where she stands. She just listens to him. Every part of his story. She listens until he finish it all.

“I’m just angry. I angry to Hyunsoo, because he promised that he’s gonna stay with me forever. But he left so suddenly. Actually, I’m angrier to myself, I regret it. The last time we had conversation, I argued with him. I hated him for being too perfect. I didn’t even get the chance to say sorry.” A tears falling in his cheeks, but he’s smiling now. He feels lighter somehow after sharing his story.

“You can say it now.” Hara said.

“Huh?”

“You can say anything that you want to Hyunsoo. Maybe he’s not here anymore, but I believe they’re listening. Somehow he’ll know it.” 

“It will be so embarrassing.” Myungsoo chuckles.

“You’re mental patient. Being embarrassing is your trademark.” She says bluntly, making Myungsoo laughs. Suddenly Myungsoo stands, he looks above at the rising sun before shouting.

“Hyunsoo-ya! Ya! Kim Hyunsoo…I’m sorry. I don’t know anything to say to you beside that. I’m sorry for being a bad brother. I’m sorry for hated you unreasonably. I’m sorry for making you disappointed. I’m sorry for make mom and dad cry. I’m sorry for that.... But you know what? I’m not sorry for have had you as my bother and my best friend. I’m not sorry for our fun memories and I’m not sorry for the time that we’ve spent together. So…from now on, I’ll try to not feel sorry for my life. You hear me, right?” He laughs at the end, while teardrops flowing on his cheek. Hara looks at them warmly. She smiles.

From that moment it becomes a silent moment between them. They both just sit on the rooftop floor and watching the sun appearing with the warm shine and the world gets brighter.

“Let’s go back. We’re gonna get in trouble if we’re get caught.” She said as she getting up and walks to the door. He stands up and walking behind her. But at the moment when she was about to open the door, he grabs her hands. Myungsoo holds her hands tight before pull her body toward his and hugs her. Hara surprised by his action. Now she’s in his embrace. She can hear Myungsoo’s heartbeats clearly.

“Thank you…for everything.” Myungsoo says. Hara smiles. Somehow  it feels so good. 

Just few meters near them, Haru is watching the whole scene. He’s smiling. He’s happy.