Underwater

Cherry Blossom Tree

[Tokyo - at the same time]

Hara stares at the man infront of her. His name is Kamenashi Kazuya, he introduced himself a while ago. He's about 30 something, tall, handsome and surprisingly has a good skin. He looks fashionable and tough...but somehow, he's cute.  It's hard to belive if he is her interviewer, also happen to be a lecturer in this university. But Hara suddenly notice that he has a tattoo in is right upper arm. It's a number. Hara barely can see it. 04:20? What does it mean? She thinks about the meaning about that number, while that man seems serious at reading Hara's resume. 

"Wah, Hara-san... You seems have a splendid resume. I'm wondering why do you want go to film school. With this kind of grade you can even go to Harvard, or Standford, or at least Todai. I know it's serious when the Dean recommend you for full scholarship program, but do you really think it is the best choice for you?" He asks with his curious expression.

"Yeah, I know I have a lot to choose an I have many chances to do well in other fields. But Kamenashi-san knows that, right? When you have a lot of choices and possibility, all that you can do the best is listen to your heart and do what you want to do the most." Hara said, making him smiled and nods.

"But don't you ever think of doing music? I know you love it too.I see that you've been offered a scholarship in Julliard last year too." He asks asks again as looking at the file.

"Of course I love music. But think about it, I can do the best music to make the best movie. Music is a part of the movie. Isn't it amazing when I can do anything in one place? You know, it's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you watch them on a screen. I always got that feeling." Hara says calmly with her sparkling eyes. Kazuya smiles. This girl suprises him. It's the first time he meet such a girl with this kind of charm.

"Sensei, which one that you like? Sunrise or sunset?" She asks suddenly.

"Hmm...pardon?" Kazuya seems surprised with the sudden question.

"04:20 too in your arm? Isn't it mean either sunrise or sunset?" She asks while looking at his arms. He laughs before finally looks at his right arm too. 

"How can you know that?" He smiles.

"Of course I know. The sun rise in Tokyo normally at 04.20 AM and set at about 04.20 PM." She smiles mysterously.

"I see. As expected from Mensa member." 

"Ah... It doesn't has anything to do with that. It doesn't mean I'm not lacking. I was terrible." She said calmly.

"And now, you've changed?" He asks.

"Mmm...you have no idea how much I've changed." She said confidently.

"It used to be PM. But lately I think AM is better." He smiles ast looking at his right arm. "I think now I love sunrise more." That answer make Hara smiles wider. She's not the only one who loves sunrise more.

Hara finish the interview about 15 minutes later. Now she just needs to wait wor about a weeks for the answer. It was surprising.. She never thought that Nihon University also known as Nihon Daigaku or Nichidai is gonna offer her a full scholarship. This university has one of the best college art department in Japan. Turns out her father submitted Hara's application and resume a few weeks before she's discharged. He is truly the best father.

Now she's walking out from the campus building in Kanto. She is in the happy mood. She takes out her phone from her bag and turn it on because she wants to call her dad, and Woohyun and maybe...Myungsoo. The phone's has been turned off for several hour because of the interview. She realize there's a missed call. Hmm...the caller leave a message. It's a Korean phone number. Hara press 1 and listen to the message.

"Hara-ya? Where are you?! Why don't you pick up my call?" It's Myungsoo's voice. Deg! Hara's heart stops breathing. 'No, please...tell me it's not what I think about.' She's panic as she hears his crying voice.

"I'm scared..." Myungsoo's voice is breaking. Hara listens to the rest of the message and she's shocked. 

"No way...no please! He can't.... Myungsoo...." Hara said in panic. She quickly dials some number to call someone.

"Yoboseo. Sunggyu oppa?" She says. The voice in there answer her with an unsure sigh. Seems like Sunggyu tells her about what happen, making Hara feels more panic.

"No, it can't be." Hara's hands trembling after she hears the whole news. It is a bad news...very bad news. She feels so sorry. 'It can't be happening. Myungsoo was fine. Why did he become like this? Please...Myungsoo, you have to be okay. You've promised." Her hearts feels like screaming now. Then she starts calling another person.

"Woohyunnie, I need to go back to Seoul as soon as possible. No.... I need to go back now!" 

[Seoul - A few hours later]

The ICU of Seoul National Hospital is so crowded right now. Some nurses runs all the way as some doctors are busy to treat the new patient that just come. 

"He's got a weak pulse. He's been underwater for quiet long time. It's a miracle we still got the pulse. But it seems his brain and lungs got schocked because of the lack of oxygen. It's a dangerous state." A doctor said.

"He's heart pulse is irregular. I think he must be eat something like Dextromethorphan or other strong cold medicine. We might lose him. Prepare for the surgery soon." Another doctor said.

Myungsoo's lying weakly in the surgery room. It was an hour ago, a guard found him drowning in the bathtub near the hall. He also found his empty bottle of cold medicine on the bathroom floor. Then Myungsoo was rushed to the hospital. His breathing and pulse is so weak. Everyone in the institute shocked. It was a mess. Kim Myungsoo try to kill himself....again. Doctors seem don't believe that, because lately Myungsoo was doing fine and his treatment is progressing. They don't know why he become worsen again.

Everyone is in panic. Lee Sungyeol trying to contact Myungsoo's parent. It's so unfortunate that they're overseas now because a bussiness event in Canada. They're in shock after hear the news.His mom is crying so hard and is father said they're gonna come back to Korea soon.They'll come tomorrow morning.  Sungyeol sighs. "Can he survive untill tomorrow morning? Please...Myungsoo-ya, just hanging on..."

Suddenly Dr.Lee hears someone's runs towards him. It is a familiar face. The former patient. That red-hair girl, she's running in panic. Two mens following her behind, Kim Sunggyu, his collague and a tall young man that looks like the girl's brother.

"Myungsoo...please tell me that he is okay..." The girls says while grabbing Sungyeol hands. Sungyeol just looks at her sadly. 

"The medics is treat him now. Just hope for the best, okay?" Sungyeol tries to comfort that girl. She looks so sad. It's heartbreaking to see. Sunggyu and her brother looks at her sadly. She's crumbling down to the floor and she's crying. Making everyone shocked, especially Woohyun. He never saw his sister crying like that. Hara cry so hard and bury her face on her knees. Woohyun come and lean forward to her sister before pull her to his embrace.

"He was calling me. He called me because he need my help. My I wasn't picking up. I should've been there. He must be so afraid and feels so weak. I've promised him to always be there for him. But I didn't even had a time to pick up his call. It's my fault." Her voice is breaking. Woohyun is holding her tight and rubbing her back. 

"Ssshh...don't say that...It's not your fault." He says. 

"What if he won't survive this? What if he's going to leave me? I don't wanna lose him. Not again." She's continue crying.

"Don't say that...he's gonna be okay, right? He's gonna be alright." Woohyun keeps telling his sister. The truth is, he's not sure. He don't know what to do.

An hour later the doctor's come from the operation room. Sungyeol, Sunggyu, Hara and Woohyun stand up immediatly. The doctor looks at them with an unreadable expression.

"How is he? Tell me he's okay...." Hara asks the doctor desperately.

"Are you Kim Myungsoo-ssi family or relatives?" 

"I'm his responsible guardian." Sungyeol said since Myungsoo's family is not here yet.

"Kim Myungsoo-ssi has been underwater for too long. It seems like he also took Dextromethorphan in overdose. His brain, lungs and heart got shocked and he's in unconscious state right now. We managed to revive and support his vitals function but we can't guarantee anything. If he pass the dangerous 11 hours, he'll be fine, eventhough we're not sure when he will awake. But if he can't pass that...please, prepare yourself."

Hara looks at the doctor's face in daze. She's a smart girl, but she can't understands what he said. Is it mean Myungsoo is gonna be fine? Or the opposite? She's trembling and confused as she grabs his brother's hand. Woohyun keeps muttering some comforting words for her sister. A few minues later Hara's allowed to see Myungsoo, while the others are waiting outside. She's walking at the room as she looks at the weak and delicate figure that lying in the bed. There are a lot of machine and drips attached in his body to help him breathing and support his organs function.

Hara slowly walks beside the bed with her teary eyes. His face is so pale and his eyes are closed. It's funny how Myungsoo still looks so beautiful even in that state. Hara sits in the chair beside the bed. She holds his hand gently before finally kisses it. A tear fall from her eyes to his hand. 

"Mianhae, Myungsoo-ya...Mianhae..." She sobs. 

"I'm sorry for not coming sooner. I'm sorry for not picking up your call. You must be so scared, right? I'm sorry I wasn't there when you need me the most. I've promised you that you're not gonna be alone. But you were lonely, right? I'm so sorry... It's my fault." She's crying even more whith her face in Myungsoo's hand.

"Please don't leave me. Please be okay...be strong. I don't wanna lose you. I don't wanna lose anyone anymore. You may never hear this, but you are mean a lot for me. And I love you. I really really love you. You're listening, right? Don't leave me...Don't you dare to die on me." She screams her heart out. Her eyes now fixed on Myungsoo's face. She loves him. She knows that, now. It's the first time she says she loves someone.

"I love you, Myungsoo-ya..."