Breathing

Cherry Blossom Tree

 

"Keep breathing...that's the big thing for now."

Blurry and confusing. That's the thing that he feels when he wakes up. The moment he open his eyes, he realize there's a weird thing stuck in his throat. Ah, it must be that oxygen machine. He tries to get up from the bed, but he can't even move his body. Just like every single energy that he has drained. At that moment he realize his right hand feels heavier than the left one. Turns out someone's sleeping with her head rest on his right hand. It's her. She's sleeping and he doesn't wanna wake her up. He misses her. He miss that messy red hair and that wide bright eyes. It's been so long since the last time he saw her. Too bad, now when he can see her, he's not even be able to lift his hand just to her head. 

The movement in his fingers seem disturbing her sleep. She slowly opens her eyes and lift her head. She stares at him that now completely wide awake. She's surprised. She's smiling and looks so happy.

"Oh my God. You're awake. Oh thank God." She's smiling and hold his hands tightly. He do nothing but stares at her happy reaction. Are you that happy after see me wakes up? A while later, she push the button beside his bed to call the doctor. She's been told to call the doctor as soon as he wakes up.

"Oh my God, Myungsoo-ya...I miss you." I miss you too.

""But your mom is downstair in the cafetaria. Wait here, I'll call her." 

She was about to stands up and leave the room to call his mom. But he doesn't want her to leave. With all the energy that left in his every fibers he grabs his hand. Hold it tightly, like he doesn't wanna let it go. Forever.

"Myungsoo-ya..." She looks surprised. She holds his hand with both her hands. There's a warm feeling transferred to his skin. She's leaning closer to his face.

"You wanna say something?" It must be hard with that oxygen drip, she thought.

He just smiles and shook his head. He doesn't want to say anything. No words can describe his feeling. He doesn't need to say anything right now. He just wanna hold her hand tightly...and smiles....and breathing.

And keep breathing...keep living...

It's hard but for the first time in his life...he's willing to try.

[Hara POV]

It's been 2 weeks since he brought to the hospital. He was almost die. I guess that time it was too hard for him to handle. He was in a coma for 3 days after his suicide attempt. Fortunately, he's saved. He wakes up. And he's here now. I don't really believe about miracle. But I think it's the only possible thing to describe what happen to him. Because after he wakes up, somehow he's changed.

Just like a lovely smile that I saw the first time he open his eyes. He was smiling and holding my hand tightly. I never saw that kind of smile before...

The doctor just examining his lungs today as I watch him from outside the room. Seems like the medic told him some good news, because he smiles while look at them. I enter the room as the doctor's done examining him.

"What did thay say?"

"They say I'm improved. My lungs is getting better."

"Do you you really feeling better?" He nods.

"I'm not suffocated again."

I smiles as I put a blanket over his body. He looks at me as he rests his head at the pillow."

"Hara-ya..."

"Umm?"

"I need a favor."

"What favor?"

"There's a place that I want to go."

"You know you can't go anywhere right now. Not yet."

"That's why I want to go with you."

"Myungsoo-ya..."

"Please, help me talk to them. I really want to go. Just couple hours is enough."

He looks at me with his pleading eyes. I sigh.

"Where do you want to go, exactly?"

Next thing that I remember, the doctor and Myungsoo's parent scold me, because clearly Myungsoo is still too weak to go outside. But then I give then hundreds reasons. I tell them about the place that he want to go and why it is important for Myungsoo. I plead them to trust me. Until finally they give me 2 hours. Not more. Myungsoo looks so happy when he hear the news.

I borrow Woohyun's car for our trip. Actually Myungsoo is still too weak to walk by himself. I grab his shoulder as we walk slowly to the car. I put seatbelt on him before finally drives leaving the hospital.

"Do you have license?"

"Are you kidding me? I have both Japanese and Korean license."

"Wow, but you don't have a car. " He chuckles.

"Yeah, my dad refused too buy me car after I lost my Japanese license a weeks after I got it."

"What? What happen? "

"Just speed over limits..... And a little bit drifting."

"What?"

"I know, I know. I'm just watching Fast and Furious too much."

"Hey, you're not gonna do that again, right?"

"You want me to do it now? Maybe we can make another series titled "Seoul Drift?" I .

"No you won't!"

"Come on...it will be fun."

"For the God sake. I'm a hosptal patient!" He creams. And I laughs.

After 45 minutes drives, we arrived to the destination. I help him get out of the car and hold his arm as we walk through the upper hill.

"Tell me if you're tired, okay." I said and he nods. The path that we walk is surrounded by tall and big trees. I hear bird voice chirping around the air.

"Why do you want to go here?" I finally ask the question that's been make me curious from yesterday. He smiles before takes a deep breathe.

"When I was unconscious, I met Hyunsoo." He said. I startled a little.

"And?"

"And we talk. Just like what we always do. He told me a lot of things."

"What did he told you?"

"He said, "thank you." to me."

"Thank you?"

"Hmmm...because he said I give him beautiful memories of live." He smiles and I can see he's trembling. I hold his hand tighter to be his support. Kim Myungsoo, you have a really loving brother. You're so lucky.

"That's why I want to go here. To say "thank you" to him. I am right, aren't I?" He asked me. I nodded.

The we arrived to Hyunsoo's grave. Myungsoo stands in front of it for about 10 minutes, while I look at his figure from behind. He maybe still weak and healthy yet, but I can see that deep inside, he's stronger now. He's changing. He's better.

After he's done, we're leaving. We walk towards the car when suddenly Myungsoo whisper to me.

"Thank you for you too."

"You've said a lot of "thank you" today."

"You deserve one more."

"Am I?"

"Yeah. I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and sometimes hard to handle. But you handle me, even at my worst. So..the least that I can do, is thank you."

"What if it isn't enough for me?"

"What do you want?"

"A promise that you should keep for forever."