Confusion

He's My Girlfriend! (A Pretend)
A/N: Hello everyone, it’s been a long time hasn’t it? ^^ I hope you enjoy~~

--

When Niel left his side to come with Haemi, Changjo busied his self on his phone to kill time. And while he’s too caught up on scribbling something on his phone, he felt a sudden smack on his back that alerted him. What the actual fruck. Lowering his phone down, he gave Chunji a warning look who still has his arms up to where he had hit the younger boy, making it all too obvious that he’s the suspect.

“So, when are you gonna confess?” Chunji ignored Changjo’s glare and sat next to him on the couch, carefully avoiding Changjo’s injured leg. He gave the younger a wide grin and waited for his answer expectantly. It seems like they’re the only ones left with CAP still in the kitchen. L.Joe and Ricky left as soon as Haemi took Niel away. They excused themselves saying they have to take their showers first.

Changjo broke his stare and sighs before looking back down on his phone. “Stop it…” He muttered but Chunji’s still able to hear it. So Changjojo is still sensitive when it comes to confessing- Nodding his head thrice as if he understands Changjo, he slowly leaned away and crosses his arms. He has to do something. He thought. He has to do something to make the maknae realize what he has to realize. Grinning, he straightened his neck and pretended to look at the ceiling.

“You worried Haemi will do something to Niel, huh?” He suddenly asked and secretly stole a glance at their maknae just to see how’d he react.

He saw how Haemi asked Niel to come with her an hour ago and it kind of made him worry to how Niel would be able to handle her. Who knows what Haemi plans on her head and what things she might say to Niel. But spending a short while with her the other day only proves to him that Haemi isn’t that bad of a girl, but just one woman who craves for a certain man’s attention.

He is also aware how brave and strong Haemi can be when it comes to rivalry for Changjo. And how far she could go just to win Changjo’s cold heart. He could almost picture her fighting Niel just to claim Changjo for herself, and that’s what worries everyone, to how Niel will fight back being careful enough not to reveal his real identity and without hurting the girl and specially hurting himself.

They know how polite and gentle Niel is specially with the girls and towards the elders, how he always offer help and treats them as if they’re his sisters and mothers. (The main reason why they have high respect for him despite the bullying he experienced from his school when he was still young. Kids would make fun of him and  throw crumpled papers at him, but instead of being a rebel and hating on them, it only made him grew and stronger.)

Niel may sometimes have this ‘idiot image’ and a carefree youngster, but they all know Niel can decide on his own. A decision they all can rely on. They trust him. And Niel never disappoints them.

“He can handle his self.” Changjo answered shortly and proceeds on playing on his phone, but the older is wise enough to notice the slight waver of the younger’s tone. Chunji cleared his throat and thought of another question to get the maknae’s full attention, or to at least make him confess his feelings to the other, to what he set himself his new goal.

“Yah, come on. Get some balls will you?” Chunji then hits Changjo’s shoulder for the secant time in a jokingly way, a habit he has Changjo hates the most. Changjo gritted his teeth and tries suppressing his annoyance towards the older boy. Can’t he just talk without touching him?

“What kind of balls?” Questioned an annoyed Changjo, though he already knows the answer. He just doesn’t want Chunji to get what he wants. At least, not yet. There has to be a right time. But when? When he’s sure enough what he feels inside is not just a simple crush?

A shirtless CAP then approached them and sits beside Chunji while munching on some bread L.Joe gave him earlier. He just casually sat next to the second oldest and took the remote to turn on the tv, not caring at all to what the other two is talking about.

Chunji has a wide grin on his face and faced CAP as if he has something to say to get their leader to be on his side. “You know, balls—“ But when he saw CAP with nothing but his pants on, Chunji caught the air in his throat. Minsoo raised the bread he’s holding and took a bite on it before facing Chunji beside him, eyebrows raised in a questioning manner.

Changjo raised one eyebrow at Chunji’s sudden silence. What made him shut his unstoppable mouth? He glanced at CAP, making him smirk in realization. I see… He shook his head and hid his phone in his pockets before standing up. Might as well.

Chunji felt Changjo move beside him, awakening him from his trance. “Where are you going?” He asked, he was lucky enough his voice didn’t crack because of his nervousness.

Changjo just turned his head to look at his hyung and showed him a knowing smirk.

“You know, gonna get some balls?”

Chunji has to stop himself from rolling his eyes at Changjo’s statement. When their maknae his heels and walks away (still doesn’t have the ability to walk straight due to his injury), Chunji contemplated weather to follow Changjo out or to stay with CAP. What should he do? He wants to hang out with Minsoo, but he also wants to help their makne.

Sighing, Chunji made his final decision in just three seconds and stood up to catch up with Changjo.

“Let me come with you!”

--

Niel quickly made his way back to their hotel to meet with the others, especially to see L.Joe and ask help from him. They’re in deep trouble since Haemi thinks they’re cheating behind Jonghyun’s back. Niel shook his head as he thought of possible ways how to clear the misunderstandings on Haemi’s head. This will ruin their strategy and he has to tell L.Joe quick.

Niel then sprinted inside the hotel and into the elevator to get on the floor they all stay. He abruptly stopped on his tracks when the elevator door opens and out came Chunji and Changjo together side by side. The sight was unfamiliar and Niel felt a little uncomfortable seeing the two together. It was weird and he couldn’t tell why he’s feeling a little awkward.

Niel blinked his eyes twice and noticed how Changjo and Chunji are suddenly so close.

“Uhh…” Niel scratches his arms nervously and steps aside as if to let them pass. He felt conscious, like an outsider and an intruder between Changjo and Chunji.

Changjo felt Niel’s discomfort and was about to reach for him when Chunji suddenly took his arm, preventing him from touching Niel. “Nielie, let me borrow your boyfriend for a while, okay?” Chunji grins and pulls Changjo away. He’s up to something- Changjo can tell.

Niel forced a smile and waves at them weakly before looking away and clearing his throat. It’s obvious he’s a little bothered.

When Niel disappeared inside the elevator, Changjo hissed and pulled his arm away from Chunji’s hold.

“What the hell was that?!”

Chunji just rolled his eyes and crosses his arms.

“Duh, making your girlfriend jealous.”

Changjo furrowed his eyebrows, unable to understand the older’s actions. “Why do you have to do that? Niel will get the wrong idea!” Changjo growls and was about to chase after Niel to clear some misunderstandings but Chunji still pulled him back.

He hits Changjo on the back of his head and yells at him. “Pabo! Stop being so obvious would you?” Chunji scoffs. “You should thank me. At least we get a reaction from Niel.”

“What?” Changjo snapped, rubbing his head.

“If you want to know if Nielie likes you too, make him jealous~” Chunji instructs.

Changjo squints his eyes at his hyung. His idea is a bit childish in some way and Jonghyun couldn’t understand how it can be so helpful.

“And what if he doesn’t?” Changjo challenged, but even though he looked neutral, Chunji can still sense a little worry lingering on the younger’s voice.

Chunji shrugged his shoulders, at least he already got Changjo stop denying he dislikes his pretend girl.

“Then be ready to make him fall for you!” Chunji gave him a wide smile. “You like Niel. And doing this small act will prove to us that he may have the same feelings for you too.”

Changjo thought for awhile as if he’s slowly digesting his hyung’s words in his brain. Clearly ignoring the fact that Chunji is saying all these in a loud voice that Ricky or anyone might hear them when they pass by.

“Why are you doing this again?” The younger couldn’t help but question his hyung’s real intentions.

“Helping my dongsaengs of course! It’s what hyungs do.” Chunji winked, his face bright and happy.

“Tch. If I only know, you’re only doing this for your bet.”

Chunji just laughed and shakes his head at Changjo’s accusations. “Well, at least you’re not denying anymore. Just confess and be officially with Niel!” He cheered.

Changjo rolled his eyes before walking away. “Whatever.” Chunji’s eyes didn’t miss the small smile forming on the younger’s lips as he follows him from behind. He broke into a wide grin as he walks side by side with Changjo. “You know, you should tell Niel about your feelings before someone beat you. Who knows! He might be feeling the same way too.” Chunji says with a careless shrug of his shoulders.

Changjo moved his eyes to look at his hyung and kept on walking.

“Beat me? Huh. By who?” Changjo rolled his eyes and act as though he doesn’t even care. He took his phone when he felt it vibrate inside his jean pockets before answering the call.

“Ricky?” He asked, a bit surprised Ricky calling him.

“Changjo! Hey! Where are you guys? Come here and join us! I’ve already told L.Joe hyung about it too, and Cappyung—” Changjo can clearly hear the noise at the background. Is he at some sort of an arcade or something? A playground maybe?

“Where is that exactly?” He questioned and half glanced at Chunji who only raised his eyebrows at him, waiting for him to tell him something or at least, share him what’s going on inside the line.

Changjo just nodded when Ricky informed them where he is. He’s alone and is having fun at the nearby arcade just waiting for them to join him.

“Hyung, Ricky’s at some arcade. He said CAP hyung and the others will follow us soon.” Changjo says as he put his phone back inside his pocket.

At the mention of their leader, Chunji perked up and instantly clings on Changjo’s arms. Ah, it seems like they’ll be all spending their time together after all.

“Then come on!” He grins as he pulls Changjo with him. Changjo sighed as he let the older drag him away. He glanced at his pocket where his phone lay and contemplated weather to call Niel and tell him where they are. But in the end, he could only just send Niel a message to follow them later.

“I just hope listening to Chunji hyung will sort things out…” He thought with a sigh.

--

Daniel finally arrived at L.Joe and Ricky’s shared room to look around for the shorter boy inside. He didn’t even bother going to their living room since he figured everyone already left.

 He just hoped L.Joe is still inside so they could talk privately, and it was obvious enough Ricky wouldn’t stay in with the beautiful weather outside. He would be likely out playing somewhere.

“Hyung?” He calls as he steps inside the unit, cautiously. He fetched for his phone and dials for L.Joe’s number to check where he is, only to hear it inside his shared room with Ricky. Following the source of L.Joe’s phone ringtone, he found it lying on their bed but still without any signs or any movement around the place.

“Where could he be?”

He straightened up when he heard the sound of a running water inside the bathroom. He figured only then that his hyung might be taking his shower when the running water stopped and out came L.Joe having only a towel securely wrapped around his waist, his upper body leaving nothing but his bare skin.

When L.Joe looked up and saw Niel suddenly standing at the center of the room with those large eyes staring down at him, he stumbled a little as heat starts to rise up on his cheeks.

“Niel!” L.Joe hissed as he made a poor attempt to cover his upper body with his thin arms.

Niel coughs awkwardly and turns his head to the side, hiding the red tint on his cheeks.

“I-I…” Niel stuttered and finally turned his back on his hyung. “I’ll just come back when you finish.” And with that said, he dashed for the door and quickly closed it behind him.

L.Joe blinked a couple of times as he process in his mind what had actually happened. Niel saw him half . L.Joe looked down and blushed a deep shade of red. He shook his still wet hair and covers his face.

“Get over it.” He whispers to himself and tries to fight the heat on his cheeks. He can clearly feel his heart beat drumming wildly inside his chest in a fast pace. He hurriedly dried himself up and put on some clothes before facing Niel outside. Niel must have had a good reason why he showed up so suddenly and he has to ask Niel immediately.

“Haemi gave me a warning.” Niel started as he sits on a sofa. L.Joe nodded his head carefully and thought about what Niel had said.

“Warning about?”

“She said I have to stay away from Changjo—“

Of course, this will to happen.

“… Then what did you say?” Now L.Joe is curious. How is Niel handling all this drama without his guide? He took a glance at Niel and saw him scrunching up his nose, an action he does whenever he’s thinking over something that’s troubling him.

“I… I told her I can’t.” Niel took a deep breath. “I  told her I can’t leave him because I love him.” Niel looked away. He was scared to see L.Joe’s reaction. He was also scared not to see a reaction from his hyung.

L.Joe froze on his spot, his back leaning on the wall behind him.

“You…” L.Joe lowers his head as he tries hard not to let Niel’s words affect him. He felt a vein in his head twitch before he could let himself continue. “It’s the right thing to say. You did a great job.” He comforted, more on to himself. He lifted his chin to face Niel and was about to smile at him when he saw the sad look on Niel’s face. Why does he look sad? Does it bother him so much?

“Actually… I’m confused,”

“Niel?” He called, hesitant. What is he confused about? Don’t tell me…

“When I was telling her all those things…” Niel trailed as he grasps his shirt on his chest, where his heart is located. He can still remember clearly how it felt like saying those words back to Haemi. “It felt real.” He added breathlessly. He slowly looked up when he finally had the courage to face L.Joe.

He wanted to know why. He wanted to know why he’s having mixed feelings. He wanted to know why he’s starting to feel different towards their maknae when he was sure himself he already likes someone else, and that someone else is just standing in front of him. The one who has been holding his heart since the first time they met. But now… why does it feel like L.Joe’s hold on his heart is starting to lose its grip?

Is the pretend starting to get to him? He doesn’t know where or to who to go to but L.Joe to ask about things. They’re best friends, in fact, sometimes they act more than that. They trust each other the most and lean on each other the most. Niel may have this fear of L.Joe saying nothing about it, but he also fears what L.Joe would say about it. Would he get mad? Would he care? Would he tell Niel to finally stop and just come to him? Or would he just tell him to forget his feelings and move on?

Niel hoped to remove his confusion soon. And he’ll follow whatever L.Joe would tell him to do. Even if he has to stop this pretend and completely forget his newly growing feelings for the other boy. He’s willing to do anything, at least as long as it’s still early to back out from anything, and early to just ignore the new feelings he’s having for their maknae. Just a sign from the shorter boy, even a small one, and he will stop.

L.Joe digested Niel’s words for a while before finally giving the younger a small smile, an action to encourage Niel and show him there’s nothing to worry about. He couldn’t deny how his heart felt like crashing and breaking at the confused Niel standing in front of him. He couldn’t let him stop. He couldn’t let him know. He couldn’t let him see his real feelings. He wouldn’t let Niel see through him or it might ruin something precious. He doesn’t want that.

“Hey,” L.Joe chuckles and instantly earns Niel’s attention. “Of course you should be feeling that way. At least… you’ll be able to make her believe if that’s the case—“

Niel’s shoulder slumped down after hearing L.Joe’s words. It wasn’t the words he’s expecting he would hear. He wanted to hear something different but he guess, he won’t be hearing such things.

“And hyung… Haemi,” Niel cuts, remembering something extremely important, the main reason why he came running to him, why he’s running for some help. “She thought we’re cheating behind Changjo’s back.”

L.Joe rounded his eyes at this. Now this is real trouble.

“What?!”

The sudden beep of Niel’s phone broke the heavy atmosphere and Niel made a move to get it. “Hyung…” He calls once again before looking up. “We have to go and follow them. We’re the only ones missing.”

L.Joe can clearly see the worried look on Niel’s face. If Ricky and the rest of the gang are together with Haemi right now, and the only ones that are left missing is him and Niel, it will on fuel up Haemi’s twisted thought about their relationship. It will only add to her theory of them having an affair and it will do no good to all of them.

They have to be extremely careful now. They have to act, even if it means pushing Niel away and avoiding him. He has to. Or it will ruin their pretend and the harder they’ll be able to push Haemi away and end their act.

“Let’s go.” L.Joe nodded encouragingly at Niel’s direction before taking steps to him and gently grabbing his hand. “Niel,” He calls softly as he held Niel’s hand on his. Niel raised his chin to look at the shorter boy in front of him but made no sound to answer, he’s a little scared to say something, scared to say something that will disappoint him once again.

“Whatever that’s making you confuse right now, don’t try stopping it.” L.Joe breathed and closed his eyes.

Niel remained stiff on his stance as he blink his eyes, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion as he let his hyung continue.

“Just let everything flow… you’ll get the right answer if you wait.” L.Joe opened his eyes and met eyes with Niel’s sharp ones. “Don’t lock your heart out and hold back just because everything doesn’t go the way you wanted or the way how you expected things to be. Let everything go and see where they’ll take you. Don’t be scared to try out new things…” L.Joe squeezed Niel’s hand as his voice trails on a soft whisper.

“Don’t think too much and let your heart move and lead you where it wants it to be. If it stays, it will stay. But if it goes… it is meant to be. Follow your heart, follow where it will take you. And I’ll be with you on your journey, guiding you.

Niel forced a smile and looks down on their connected hands. My guide… he felt his heart drop at the older’s advice. Is he telling him to discover new things and just let his feelings towards their maknae grow more? Doesn’t it bother him that Niel’s starting to like someone else? Doesn’t he care at all? Niel wanted to walk away and hide from him. So it’s just one-sided

L.Joe watched Niel accept his words without even protesting or objecting to what he usually does. It broke his heart a little but Niel doesn’t have to know. He doesn’t need to know…

I don’t know why I’m saying this, why I’m suddenly helping you with him. But I don’t want you to have troubles, Niel… even if I have to push you away, as long as you’ll be happy… I’ll be happy for you. To whatever decision you make, I’ll be here, just here, waiting.

 


A/N: Again I apologize for the late update and I know some of you guys are waiting for something or a scene to come up soon (The maybe? It’s soon approaching. ^^) Thank you for reading, subscribing, upvoting and dropping out comments on this story! I hope to still see you guys on the future updates. even though I’m a bad author for making you guys wait for so long.
Special shout outs to maknae_tim2x who never stops encouraging me to update. And a birthday greeting too to NaKyon-Kyon~! Happy Birthday~ ^^