The Preparations

Shine Bright Like A Diamond

Shine Bright Like A Diamond

Chapter Twenty-One

The official mating day for Young Bae and Seungri was fast approaching and Seung Hyun found himself helping to set things up. Hyun Joong would not have let him dillydally even if he wanted; every servant in the castle was to help with the preparations. They wanted everything to be perfect down to the last glass chandelier that would be sparkling in the room. Every last window was hand washed so that it would look clear, and let the sun stream in and bounce off the white blinding glass floor, and all the silverware and china. Seung Hyun found himself currently still cleaning the floor because it just wasn’t clean enough although this was the fifth time being cleaned. The mop was doing it’s job, Seung Hyun could practically see his reflection on the floor, but according to vampire standards it still wasn’t clean enough.

“Damned idiotic vampires, must be blind or something” he lowly muttered under his breath as he kept polishing the floor. He would use his powers to make sure that this was really spotless, but he couldn’t risk anyone seeing him do it. As far as it went, no one had let out that Seung Hyun was actually a reaper to anyone else. Placing the mop into the bucket, he made sure that whatever dirt was in there was washed out, before he started to clean again. All of this hard labor for nothing other than mating preparations was ridiculous.   

That wasn’t even the half of it though. The kitchen was hell at the moment. Things were being baked and cooked, and the heat in there was unbearable, making Seung Hyun glad that he had not been asked to step in there--yet. Although he was sure that they were soon going to want even more help in there. Who knew that a mating ceremony would take so much effort? Ji Yong and his brothers were in the dining room though, all of them having a last alone family  meal where proper etiquette was still to be shown and final congratulations and good luck were offered to the soon the be mated couple.

Today was also the day that many other vampire princes and princesses were going to be arriving for the practice ceremonial meal that would be repeated tomorrow as well, for the official mating. With new vampires arriving Seung Hyun was sure that they were all going to step on his clean floors and all his hard work was going to be for nothing. 

Sighing a bit, Seung Hyun stopped to stare at the white floor, frowning a little. But just as he was about to reflect on something that was bothering him he gets called out by Hyun Joong and asked to go outside and help with the scrub down of the dark castle.

This was getting perhaps a bit drastic now.

A few hours later, Young Bae and Seeungri finally find themselves having a moment alone to be together, and for the first time in weeks it feels like they can breathe. There was no one watching them right now, no one to stand in their way. Their parents following them around had started to get a bit too much, but now they were just glad that they had this short moment before they would be separated for the long night that was sure to come. Seungri would be taken by all three mothers to a private room, and Young Bae would be kept company by his father and his two brothers, Ji Yong and Daesung.

“I can’t believe that we have come this far,” Seungri whispered, looking every bit nervous. He couldn’t even seem to focus on either the sky, Young Bae, or the floor.  Reaching for his hand, Young Bae kissed the back of it, and then kissed the soft cheek of his soon to be mate, looking at him with warmth and reassurance.

“I know that you are worried about leaving after our mating. After all, we have yet to figure out how we can help Seung Hyun and Ji Yong, but they will be fine,” Young Bae said in an assuring tone. “Seung Hyun told me that he is planning to stay now, and that he will look even more now for a way to help him and Ji Yong before Ji Yong comes of age. There is still time enough,” he said, squeezing Seungri’s hand gently. He had already tried to convince himself that everything was going to be alright, but he never knew how things could turn out.

No one could fully predict when a vampire would come of age either. It could happen any moment as soon as they hit their age of twenty years. Ji Yong was no exception. And in the end both he and Seung Hyun could end up hurt.  But they had to believe that there was something that they could do, and they were going to find a way.

It was going to be the biggest challenge of all, but they were all ready to face it and help Ji Yong through it. “Seung Hyun decided to stay?” Seungri asked with obvious surprise, before he grinned. “How was he ever convinced?” he asked the mirth in his eyes nearly made Young Bae laugh. Just looking at his soon to be mate looking so happy about the news made him feel like nothing was impossible.

“I’m not sure, but I am glad that he had that one change of heart, since it makes things easier. I’ve never seen Ji Yong look so happy after he announced it.” Young Bae said recalling how he had led Seung Hyun to the family library and had asked him where to look. Seung Hyun kept insisting that no book ever written or any entry ever made was going to hold any answers for what he was. Reapers weren’t natural on earth. They were a force created by Death himelf, and each one of them was unique to their own purpose in life.

In fact, as sad as it was, Reapers were the ones that were least able to keep their lifemates with them for obvious reasons. Seung Hyun first deciding to leave and actually leaving would have been the initial reaction that any reaper would have had. Right now he was going against everything that he once believed was right and going for what actually made his happy. For once in his life Seung Hyun had decided that he would do the opposite of what was consider right and he was going to follow his heart and happiness, so long as Ji Yong remained by his side, safe, and happy as well.

But to think that there were years of broken hearts in Seung Hyun’s memories, it was enough to already make Young Bae wonder if each memory brought the reminder of heartbreak, fresh, and painful as ever before, as well as the fear of it. But Ji Yong held on tight to Seung Hyun, announcing that he was going to also make a bigger effort so things would go smoothly for them. Because Ji Yong had always had strong beliefs that if wanted so badly, anything was possible- even his and Seung Hyun’s love to remain and grow healthily.

“So, at least now I won’t have to use the plan I came up with to keep Seung Hyun here now huh.” Seungri sighed, looking relieved. Young Bae frowned at the younger boy, wondering what he was talking about.

“And what might that plan had been?” he asked, knowing that he was going to regret hearing the answer. Seungri could always say and come up with the most unpredictable of things. But then, he wouldn’t be Seungri if he didn’t.

“Well, the plan was that as soon as he said that time was up and he was leaving I was going to grab a shovel- I stashed a few around, anyways, I was going to grab one and hit him over the head and knock him out. Heavens forgive that he then would not wake up to take my life, but really, what other solution is there?” Seungri paused, got a thoughtful look on his face, and then started to talk again. “Well was there,” as an afterthought he added, “Never mind, I’ll still keep the plan just in case, doesn’t hurt to have a backup plan,”

Young Bae managed a smile at his soon to be mate’s silly thinking. “Let’s not tell Ji Yong this plan, something tells me that he would rather hit you over the head with a shovel than let you try to give Seung Hyun a concussion,”

“He’s a reaper!” Seungri protested, “I doubt any real harm will come to him.

“Right, he’s not human as we thought,” Young Bae shook his head. “Even so, ”

“I know, I won’t tell him.”

“Good,” Young Bae smiled, pulling Seungri just the tiniest bit closer and whispered. “How are you feeling?”

“Excited, a bit ,” Seungri wiggled his eyebrows causing Young Bae to laugh, “but most of all I am feeling so happy that I am finally going to get to call you my mate,” he rested his head on Young Bae’s chest, closing his eyes as he breathed in his scent. “You have no idea how much I love you,” he whispered.

“I think I do, because I love you just as much Seungri,” Young Bae grinned, feeling like he was on top of the world with Seungri here with him. The moment was perfect. Although there were cries, curses, and screams all around them of servants breaking their backs to clean the house. They both watched proudly as all the changes were being made. As they looked out into the fields, they saw Seung Hyun and Hyun Joong both working on setting up several large torches of controlled flames that were to light the cool night.

There were multiple tables set outside already, and some of them were still being polished off with finishing touches. Everything was coming together nicely. It already promised that tomorrow would be a magical night.

Young Bae turned to Seungri, and hand in hand they went towards the bustling gardens as they looked around, and enjoyed the sight of everyone working so diligently. They could see that the sun was already setting, and the beautiful colors that painted the sky right now in pinks, orange, and gold made them feel like they were lost in their own little world.

That is until a servant girl rushed towards them, panting hard. “Prince Tae Yang, Prince V.I, your parents require your presence in the living room, the dress robes they have arrived,” she quickly said, bowing to them. Both princes nodded their head and headed off while the servant girl went back to work, helping anywhere that she could. Once both princes made it towards the castle, and into the large living room, they found some of their guests already there. Seungri’s mother was looking over the robes with a grin on her face as she held the ceremonial clothes out so everyone could see.

“Mom, please they were to be a surprise for Young Bae!” Seungri complained, covering Young Bae’s eyes before his soon to be mate even got a good look at them. Ji Yong giggled, and took the robes from Seungri’s mother, and neatly folded them away, making his younger brother sigh in relief.

“We should really be doing this in a more private setting,” Ji Yong said, smiling softly. Seungri’s mother giggled, shaking her head as she felt that their little antics were cute.

“Oh come now, it’s not that bad. Why believe in superstitions anyways?” She said, smiling at her son whom pouted at her.  

“It makes it that much more thrilling.” Ji Yong said.

“Like magic,” Seungri added, skipping over to his brother to take the robes from him, eager already to wear them. Ji Yong immediately handed them to him. Seungri could nearly feel himself cry over how happy he was.  

“I got Young Bae’s robes over here,” Daesung said, wiggling the bag in his hands as he did so and causing many of their guests already there to giggle. Young Bae walked over to him and snatched the bag away.

“Thank you Daesung,” Young Bae said, and Daesung shrugged his shoulders. After all, it had been Daesung and Ji Yong’s design that had made up the robes as a present and blessing for their brothers mating. They were all so happy for them. They didn’t want them to worry about anything.  Eventually they all got to talking, waiting for the rest of their guests as well as to be allowed into the dining area that was being prepared with food for the practice.

King Hyun Suk then walked over to Ji Yong and tapped him in the shoulder. Ji Yong whom had been having fun talking with his brothers excuse himself and walked followed his father out of the room. Once they were both alone, the king looked down at his son and sighed. “Ji Yong, lately I have gotten a lot of requests from other kingdoms that requested to let their sons and daughters a chance to get to court you,”   

Ji Yong’s eyes widened, “But I thought that you said that I didn’t have to rush into anything,”

“And you don’t have to; I’m not making you do anything that you don’t want to do. I am just letting you know that there are currently plenty of offers, and you could start if you wanted. Maybe even give someone a chance,” King Hyun Suk sighed, “I just don’t want you to end up all alone. Now with Young Bae and Seungri being mated, I have started to see that all of you are so grown already. Daesung has also taken to dating someone,”

“Daesung has started dating?” Ji Yong asked, shocked at the sudden news.

“Yes,” His father nodded his head, “He’s started to court princess Lee Hyori.” Ji Yong was shocked. For a moment he thought that his dad would say that Daesung was now dating the nurse Minzy, but it didn’t seem like it was that way. In fact, he wasn’t even sure when Daesung even made that decision. Come to think about it, he had been so concentrated on Seung Hyun that he had forgotten about helping his own brother through his troubles as well. He would have to speak to Daesung about this later, and see how his brother was feeling.

Daesung was always silent about his real feelings and most of the time he would say that he was just fine so he wouldn’t have to bother anyone else. But that actually worried them even more than if Daesung would just tell them what was wrong.  “I see, Daesung is now dating someone,” Ji Yong smiled a little, “That’s good, but I don’t think I feel ready to date anyone…”

“Is it that you have yet to find someone that you feel a connection to?” his father asked and Ji Yong nodded his head before he shook it.

“I don’t know, what do you mean?” he gave his father a clueless look.

“I mean has there been someone that you looked at and just made you go wow” the king asked, looking his son over, and all of his expressions. Ji Yong lifted an eyebrow, keeping a very innocent look. “It’s a very specific feeling; no one talks about it freely because others try to take advantage of it. Others try to claim that they feel it so now we don’t explain exactly what it feels like. We just figure that you would know,” The king explained and Ji Yong lowered his head.

“Um…does that feeling involve being so obsessed with that person to the point that you feel that you can’t live without it.” Ji Yong asked, looking at his father with wide eyes, but at the same time remaining guarded. The king looked at him with apprehension and then smiled.

“It’s normal my son, you can feel that for anyone. If there is anyone,” The king looked at him with questioning eyes. Ji Yong blushed and nodded his head.

“There is someone,” Ji Yong said, and placed both his hands behind him. For once he looked very much like the mischievous five years old that he had been when he was younger. “I won’t tell you about them yet, but I will soon, and I…I don’t want you to concern too much about it. I’m still trying to figure it out myself,” The king smiled and then nodded his head in understanding.

“So long as I don’t have to fear you being alone for the rest of your life, I will alow you all the etime you need to think so you can make your decision,” The king said, “Also, just letting you know, many of the ones interested in you will be around the ceremony. I trust that you take care of yourself if you don’t want them all pressuring you into something. I have found that ceremonies are a terrible time for others to feel lonely and wanting of companionship, and end up doing things that they regret.”  Ji Yong nodded his head.

“I have better manners than that,” he said, and smiled at his father. “I won’t be pressured into anything, trust me,”

“Good, now let’s get ready, shall we. The practice dinner is about to start,” The king said, and gestured towards back towards the living room. Ji Yong followed after his father, a bit shocked to find that there were even more people there. He knew many had been invited, not because they were close friends, but because it was a chance to allow the kingdoms to know how the royal princes were all mating. The royal Yang families were all known for being the boys most wanted. But they themselves never understood why, they figure everyone was equal in a way.

Walking inside, he smiled at everyone that greeted his father and then him.

When the final guest arrived, they all headed into the dining room area. There they all sat down where they were assigned to, and Young Bae and Seungri were the center of attention. Both of them seemed really uncomfortable having a separate table at the very front, where everyone could see them.

“Thank you all for coming,” The king said as he bowed to everyone, showing his gratitude, “And thank you all for caring for my sons in such a way. I know the both of them will be together for a long time to come,”

The crowd raised their glasses, and showed their own gratitude to the thanks that the king had given them. All of them were extremely happy. But no one was happier than Seungri or Young Bae. When dinner was finished, everyone was moved outside, to enjoy desert as well as light dancing. The music that was playing was a selected list that Seungri had designed and Ji Yong had arranged so it would sound and play the best at a time. But the official list was left for the day of the ceremony.

Ji Yong avoided all kinds of conversations, unless it was with friends. It wasn’t until later in the night, as he had finished his desert that he noted that Daesung was missing.

He had wanted to talk to him about what his father had mentioned.

As he excused himself and walked around, he stopped short at one of the heated torches. There Seung Hyun stood, and he was talking with Hyun Joong, and a few other servants. They seemed to be having a good time. Trudging his way over to Seung Hyun, he looked at the servants and smiled when they all jumped away and apologized and went away to keep working on cleaning the house. Ji Yong still wasn’t sure of how to take their reactions, seeing as they were humans and obviously feared him. Hyun Joong on the other hand couldn’t help but let out a  loud laugh at the reaction that he saw. It was not every day that he would see all the human servants run away from such a young vampire like Ji Yong. “Now that was amusing,” he commented and turned to the young prince, and bowed, “Prince G-dragon, is very nice of you to join us,”

“Is it?” Ji Yong asked, “I seem to have run off some of the servants you seemed to be having a conversation with,”

“It was pleasant to see them scared. Actually, they were asking if Seung Hyun here and I were free to be at the wedding with them. They were even more pleased to learn that Seung Hyun has little to no experience on going out on dates, or proper dancing!” Hyun Joong cheered, “He said that dancing only has happened once in his life”

“Shut up.” Seung Hyun hissed, making the vampire stop, but then grin once more.

“Oh don’t be shy; the prince was eventually going to learn these things about you,”

“You think so?”  Seung Hyun turned to look at Ji Yong whom was looking back and forth with interest. It was obvious that his little vampire liked learning new things about him. But he just wasn’t sure if it was fair that someone else was telling them to him.

“Well, they will all have to hold off then, because Seung Hyun is coming to the dance with me,” Ji Yong looked over at Seung Hyun, “Right,”

Seung Hyun scoffed, “Left,”

“That’s not what I meant!” Ji Yong pouted.

Hyun Joong snapped a picture with flash and all, “So cute,” he said and then gasped as he looked at the time. “Oh no, we have to go back inside now Seung Hyun. It’s about time to prepare the secret surprise from the king to their sons,” he looked at Ji Yong and bowed, “Excuse us Prince G-dragon,” Seung Hyun looked at Ji Yong and bowed, before he rushed off as well.

Ji Yong pouted. “What does father have planned now?” he didn’t want Seung Hyun busy all night. Then again, his father was going to be with them all of tonight. Making his way into the castle as he planned, he walked into the living room to find Daesung there, talking loudly to a beautiful girl with long black hair, dressed in a flowing white dress. Her slim willowy body swaying to the side as she giggled at what he was saying.-She was really attentive. She wasn’t like the other girls that Daesung looked at. They usually had short hair, and were really short in height.

Pursing his lips at the sight, he finally left outside once more.

But as Ji Yong was leaving, Minzy was entering. She was pouting and stomping her way inside, muttering angrily under her breath as she got turned down by Dong Wook himself. Lately Dong Wook had been coming around less lately, but when he did he was usually around Daesung, and Ji Yong. Dong Wook was also hanging out a lot more with Seon Woong. She thought that she would make her move now, and be bold. She thought she would tell him and with all her courage showing maybe he would see something in her and want to at least give her a chance, even if he might not be interested in her- but that was foolish of her to think.  

Dong Wook liked Ji Yong! Someone so beautiful like him was going to be hard to get over, but she thought that she could be the one to help him get over that. Boy had she been wrong. Dong Wook was moving on fine with his life, and seemed very much at peace. In fact, it was something that she should have picked on when he kept talking about Seung Hyun….

She had to wonder if he had a crush on Seung Hyun now. That would be a cruel fate. Even for a servant that blue haired boy was hot. Even she had to admit that, even though Seung Hyun was not her type. It wasn’t fair. She wanted to be noticed and loved as well.

So with her broken heart, she decided that she would call it a night and go to bed. But as she was passing by the living room, the heart of the castle, she noticed something shinny that caught her eye. The glow of a sterling silver necklace, and when she turned to look at what it was- that was when she saw it.

Daesung was standing tall, and there was a girl in front of him. His hands were gently holding her shoulders, as he kissed her. She was beautiful, and she looked very much happy as she kissed Daesung back. Her heart really was breaking now. It was a sharp pain that she had never felt before. It was a completely different feeling from what she had felt when Dong Wook turned her down. Her eyes filled with tears from it, and she felt for a moment like she couldn’t breathe.

There was disbelief in her, but she said nothing as she shook her head and looked away. She decided to leave, unable to think properly about what to do or what to say. The look on Daesung’s face, it had been so happy. She had never thought that he could smile like that. Then again she had never looked long enough to see if he could actually smile at her that way.

Minzy ran to her room, and once she was in the safety of it she felt herself fall on her knees- as if her legs had decided at that moment to give up. Her hands came to cup at her face as strong sobs left her and she had to wonder why….

Why did it hurt so much.

“Think about it, tomorrow, you are going to be Seungri’s mate and the two of you can finally move in to one of the castles together,” Ji Yong said as he looked at Young Bae. They were in the dungeon. Their father had fallen asleep at some point in the night, unable to stay up any longer. But the brothers were all excited and unable to go to sleep, “I heard that father had three castles, all made for us,”

“I heard the same,” Daesung said, “And I think he wanted to make a fourth one for Young Bae, since he knew at some point he would want to mate,”

“Do you think he ever built it?” Ji Yong asked.

“I don’t know what you two are talking about, but it sounds really nice” Young Bae whispered, already thinking about how it would be to live in a castle with only he and Seungri. They would be the rulers of it, and everything. There was still so much to come and so much to explore between the both of them. Ji Yong giggled as he turned, wrapping his covers around him.

“We’ll just have to see what it means,” He said, and tugged on his pillow.

“You seem really restless, but I don’t think that it’s because you can’t sleep,” Young Bae teased, chuckling at the pink blue haired vampire.

“Well, I miss Seung Hyun right now,” Ji Yong said in a very soft whisper, sounding very longing. Their eyes all darted to their father, hoping that he was really asleep and not listening to them. Just to be safe though, they decided to be discreet.

“Well you and he are…” Daesung gestured to Ji Yong’s face, where his mating mark remained hidden under his hair.

“Yah, it’s odd, but I guess when you have such a strong bond, it just happens.” He shrugged. “What about you Daesung, father mentioned that you were courting Princess Lee Hyori.” He grinned.

Young Bae gasped, “No way, she is the most beautiful female alive.”

“That she is and not only in how she looks but her appearance as well. She’s simply the sweetest.”  Daesung smiled.

“What is with the change of heart though? I thought you liked Minzy and no one was going to stop you from dating her?” Young Bae asked. He was just as surprised and confused as Ji Yong, Daesung smiled.

“Let’s just say that someone finally showed me the way of things.” Daesung evasively said, “I couldn’t keep hurting myself. Minzy doesn’t love me and I can’t force her to. So I decided to move on, and then I met Hyori when she came to the Thanksgiving celebration a few weeks back,” he blushed, “you two were so wrapped in your own things that I didn’t want to say anything, but now you both know,” he said.

“That’s great man,” Young Bae said, “Finally you will have someone for your own.”

“Yeah, and you two look so happy together,” Ji Yong added.

Daesung smiled, feeling elated that both his brothers were in support with him. For a long time now he had not been happy and for once in his life he could say that he was happy.  For once he felt like he was doing something for his own and that was what mattered the most. “We are happy together,” he said.

“And tomorrow will be such a happy day as well,” Ji Yong said.

“Only if you would stop looking so miserable right now Ji Yong, you can’t miss him that much,” Young Bae teased making Ji Yong blush and bury his face in his pillow.

“Shut up!” he cried, but a smile played on his lips as he thought about what was to come. About the time he was still to spend with Seung Hyun, and the hopes to get to dance and be with him all day tomorrow. Nothing was going to stand in his way of being around Seung Hyun tomorrow. But as he looked at the clock it almost felt like time was taking an eternity until tomorrow. “I wonder what Seung Hyun is doing right now,”

“You know, you can always sneak out to go see what he is doing,” Daesung sleepily said as he widely yawned and felt sleep start to take over him. Ji Yong frowned.

“But we’re not supposed to leave this room tonight.” he said, as much as he wanted to go see Seung Hyun he was not going to let his brothers down. Besides, the short wait would make it even sweeter and better for when tomorrow came.

“Then stop complaining already, I’m sleepy,” Young Bae yawned as well, showing that he was tired as well.

Ji Yong sighed, but through the rest of the night struggled to go to sleep.

And in his own room, Seung Hyun had trouble sleeping as well.