Chapter 3

Circus Freak

 

He came back only to find me shaking by the wall. The minute he walked in the animals all stopped. "What happened?" he asked softly trying to calm me down. 
 
"Ca-cats." I whimpered as I looked at them with fearful eyes. He looked over at them watching them closely. 
 
"I won't let them Hurt you. I promise." he spoke softly. He voice sounded sincere and soft. Nodding my head he pulls me up keeping hold of my waist and my arm over his shoulder. "I brought some clothes for you. To change into. But the animals are about to be unloaded so I'll take you to a different boxcar." I nodded as we left the smell and noise of the animals. In a different room he set me down on a small mattress giving me clothes to wear. "I'll be outside of you need me." as he left I looked at his clothes. The shirt was a white graphic t and the pants were black. 
When I finished I walked out to find the man there. 
 
"I never did get your name?" I said softly as he took my wrist and led me out. 
 
"My name is Minho. Choi Minho." he replied as we took a few steps and ended up outside. Choi Minho. What a beautiful name. Outside was filled with noise and activity. The animal were all at one side of the small area several growled as they sensed my presence. I hid behind Minho as one lunged at me while we walked through them to a short lean man with brown and blond hair directing people around. "jonghyun." the man looked up to him. 
 
"what Minho? I'm busy. Can't you go take care of the tigers or something?" he said as several pieces of equipment passed. "Set them up at the south end."
 
"Jonghyun." Minho said again as he stepped aside to show me to him. I shyly wave at him. 
 
"ah youre the kid Minho saved. Welcome this is the Kim circus. Me and my boyfriend key run it. What is your name?" he asked shaking my hand. 
 
"My name is Taemin." I replied as a loud roar from a large cat was heard behind us. Along with several screams. We all turned to see a tiger escaped from its cage. It wasn't paying attention to anyone. His eyes were strictly on me. My eyes were filled with fear as it looked straight at me. With one large leap he tried to take me down. My eyes squeezed shut as I waited for the large weight of a cat to land on me. 
 
When nothing came I opened my eyes. Minho was holding down the tiger with pure strength. His arms rippled with muscle as the tiger tried to claw at me. Someone brought a tranquilizer dart and shot the tiger it roared again till it fell limp. Minho got up as several others came to pick it up and back to its cage. Looking up at me he said "I told you I wouldn't let them hurt you." smiling I bowed thanking him. Just as I did that a taller dark haired boy with a Mohawk ran over. 
 
"Jonghyun what the hell just happened?" he yelled. 
 
"One of the tigers escaped and was trying to tackle our guest. This is Taemin." he replied presenting me. I bowed as he looked me over. 
 
"Why hello there. Aren't you adorable. My name is Kim Kibum. Others call me key but since you are so cute you can call me umma ok?" he said hugging me. Blushing a little I bowed again. Minho walked over standing next to me. "Where were you headed when Minho found you?"
 
"I was just wandering. I dont really know where." I replied honestly. 
 
"Well why don't you stay with us. You could help with some performances." key said and I bowed again. "we're a little short on space so why dont you bunk with Minho. If he doesn't mind." 
 
"I don't. You can stay as long as you want." he said taking my wrist and leading me away. When I looked back the other two were whispering and watching us. We ended up among several trailers with colorful exteriors. Minhos was covered with red and orange abstract shapes. Inside was simple. One bed with a thin blue sheet, a table and a bookshelf filled with books. Nothing much. The walls held a soft grey color. Nothing to cold. "it's not much but it's home." he said softly as I sat down on the bed. It must have been old since it creaked from my weight. "there is only one bed so we will have to share it. You don't mind do you?" he asked and I shook my head. 
 
"Thank you." I replied with a small smile. He's eyes searched my face as he stared at me.  
 
"Why dont we get some food you must be hungry from that trip." he said holding out his hand. Nodding I take it and he leads me to what he called the mess hall. There they served a hot bowl of soup with some bread. I was so hungry having not eaten in a few days. I quickly devoured my food thankful when Minho gave me the rest of his. When I finished eating everyone was surprised and looking at us. I didn't know why. 
 
Did I do something wrong? Just then jonghyun and umma walked up onto a small stage. "Performers. Tonight we have a big performance to do. If we do well we will be able to afford the gas money for the next location. I know I promised I would pay you but right now we are short on money." several people groaned and shouted. "even though I have you all under contract I'm going to give you a choice. You can leave now and find work or stay and help make the money for the next location." jonghyun said. Right after that most of them got  up and left. Leaving Minho, me and a few other people. Sighing he continued. "thanks to those who stayed. Maybe we can make enough money to feed ourselves." he voice sounded broken as umma took his hand before they walked off. All was quiet from those who stayed. Soon though our lunch break was over and Minho took me to go see the animals. The ponies and elephants were very nice and sweet. But the tigers. They would growl at me even if Minho was there. I hid behind him nervous one would lash out. He took my hand and spoke softly that everything was going to be fine. I wanted to believe him but the glares the tigers gave me told me otherwise.