The relationship between rain, fever, and strawberries

Happy

When Kris goes to the office the next day, he didn’t expect to be greeted by Tao, sneezing and wearing cashmere sweater above his navy blue shirt. He looked tired, though swaying a little to the music from his earphone. He sneezed again, then sniffled.

Kris was planning on avoiding Tao today, to save whatever pride that’s still left of him from Tao’s rejection the other day. But how could he that now the person was standing in his room, a stack of paper in hand, face pale like death?

“Are you alright?” Kris voiced his concern as he entered his office, watching Tao turned in his spot as he himself circle his desk.

“Ah, good morning, Sir,” Tao rubbed his nose, taking his earphone off and shuffled it carelessly into his pocket. He too, was planning on avoiding Kris today. He is not ready to explain whatever Kris would demand from the event that happened yesterday. He is not ready to talk to him at all. But of course, life s with him again.

“You didn’t answer my question,” Kris set his briefcase aside, eyes not moving from Tao’s figure.

Tao looked like he had just made snow butterflies , his eyes droopy and unfocused. He looked like he could fall unconscious anytime.

“We don’t have time, the meeting was moved earlier, Sir. Everyone is in the meeting room now, including Mr. Huang,” Tao said, handing the briefing papers to Kris.

“Really?” Kris received them then straightens his blazer, glancing at Tao. The younger was blinking rapidly, trying to wake himself up. He pulled his collars and his expression changed just like that; focused and serious. Kris smiled inside. He knew Tao could pull this off, but his condition made him a little worry, “All right then. Are you able to go through with the presentation?”

“I think so,” Tao nods, tidying his hair.

Now Kris really smiled. Tao is still the strong willed kid he knew, and he was relieved that there are some things that are still the same between them. He approached Tao from one side, patting his shoulder, “You’ll excel this,”.

Upon touching his shoulder, Kris felt the warmth of Tao’s body; a little warmer than he’s supposed to be. He is unwell.

Tao though, simply looked at him, looking grateful at his encouragement, “Thank you, Sir,”

Kris saw the determination in Tao’s eyes and he knew he had to let him go through with the presentation. Even he doesn’t look like he’s all right, Kris was glad Tao was back to his usual manner, not dazed like the day before. They walked together to the big meeting room where everyone has been waiting. Mr. Huang senior is in the back, right in across from the projection screen. Kris nodded to the whole room then seated himself between Siwon and Luhan. Tao on the other hand, continued to walk to the front, staring at the title screen on one moment then turned, all prepared with his opening line.

Sick or not, Tao led the meeting successfully, earning praises from department leaders, including his own father. Kris smiled in satisfaction; he had mentored Tao into perfection.  He wished he could do the same with their love life; if they still had one.

Kris watched as the other trainees surrounded Tao when the meeting was dismissed, all busy discussing about the presentation and congratulating him. Siwon came closer to Kris and patted his shoulder, “Congratulations, his success was also yours as his mentor,”

“And mine is yours,” Kris laughed, “thank you,”

“You’re welcome. This is good, I can see more projects coming your way,” Siwon chuckled.

“Bring it on,” Kris smiled in content. He does wish for more projects, it meant there would be more room for him to develop and grow.

“Don’t be too happy, that would also mean more working hours,” Donghae said from his other side, “But congratulations nevertheless! I have to admit you got the best trainee there is. I can see him leading this company I the future,”

“He is awesome! I told you guys already!” Luhan beamed, joining them, “And I can tell his dad is so happy about this too,”

The three looked at Tao’s figure, who was now has moved and talked to his father.

“Go there, take credit for his success,” Donghae said, and Luhan nudged Kris forward. Kris obliged, he wanted to congratulate Tao anyway. As he walked closer, he heard the senior Mr. Huang talking and he couldn’t help but to smile.

“That was great, son,” he patted Tao’s shoulder proudly, ”You are doing good,”

“Thank you, father,” Tao said, smiling proudly too, “thank you for giving me the opportunity too,”

“Of course! You are my son after all. I wonder if you did great because of it, or because of your mentor,” Mr. Huang said jokingly as he caught Kris’ figure from his side, “Kris! You just proved the reason why I recruited you in the first place! Congratulations!” he shook Kris’ hand.

Kris smiled, “the pleasure is mine, Sir. Thank you,”

“I think this deserves a celebration. I could see this project was going to be successful especially with this kind of team handling it,” he turned to Siwon, Luhan, and Donghae, “We can do it next week, as a surprise! They have been working so hard, all of them. Does Korean barbecue sound good?”

“Oh yes! Yes sir, please?” Luhan’s doe’s eyes widened at the mention of his favorite dish.

The CEO laughed loudly, “Of course it is. I am going to have Kwon make the reservation,”

He turned to Tao again, squeezing his shoulder once again, “Congratulations, son. I am so proud of you,” he patted it again then excused himself, not forgetting to flash another proud smile to the rest of the room before he stepped out with Mr. Zhou trailed behind him.

Tao smiled back widely, before sneezing again. Luhan turned his attention to Tao when he noticed Tao’s footing was a little shaky. Luhan shook his head, locking eyes with Tao.

Luhan was the one to approach him; “Go home,” he said, planting his hand on Tao’s forehead, “I knew it. You’re burning up. Do you want me to take you home?”

Tao shook his head, “No, I’ll go home later, Ge...”

“Stubborn,” Luhan pursed his lips, “Go home, Zitao,”

Tao stared at Luhan, pouting, “I have one more research to do, and then I’ll go home, okay? Please, ge? I just got this and he was proud of me,” Tao gestured at the direction where his father had disappeared to, “Please?”

Siwon, who happened to pass by and overheard the conversation, turned and chuckles, “Tao! I don’t know you have aegyo!” he smiled happily, obviously excited about what he had just heard.

“Be careful, hyung,” said Donghae who was following him, “You have Hyoyeon’s aegyo charm permanent on you,”

“I heard that!” Hyoyeon popped her head from behind one of the managers, then turned back to her conversation with the taller man, as if she was not distracted at all.

“I think he would be more proud if you can keep yourself alive,” Luhan insisted, ignoring the comments around them.

Tao pouted, ignoring Siwon and Donghae who now had decided to watch his conversation with Luhan entirely, “Gege...”

“Do not use that aegyo on me, you know it wouldn’t work,” Luhan rolled his eyes.

“Bbuing bbuing?” Tao blinked innocently.

Siwon squealed excitedly upon witnessing the scene, “Aaaah! What is it that you want? Let me give it to you! Yes, I know, Luhan is a jerk, don’t mind him,”

“No, no, psh, let me help you. Do you need anything, Tao? Chocolate? New laptop? Another layer of sweater? I think I have my sweater in my office. , from all people in the world why is it that we have to be the ones with weakness on aegyo??” Donghae said exasperatedly, punching Siwon by the arm.

“Did I just heard—“ Minho popped from behind Donghae.

“YES! ing yes! Do that again, Tao,” Donghae demanded.

Tao giggled.

“Oh son of a , I would buy you the world!” Jonghyun appeared too, dragging Minho with him, both staring at Tao with fascination.

“Ah!! Kris! Tell him!” Luhan looked away from Tao and all the commotion they had caused, not wanting to see the younger’s aegyo for the second time. He knew he denied it, but he often found himself not able to resist Tao’s aegyo. And these poor souls were going to end up the same.

Kris turned from his conversation with Hangeng then approached, “Yeah?”

“Tell him to go home, he’s burning up!” Luhan said, eyes darting to the rest of the room, “Ooh, there’s Sehun! Bye, Tao!” then he left, purposefully pushing the rest of the Business Development team away too despite their noisy protests (“Wait! I want to see another one!” and “Where have you been hiding him these whole time Luhan you selfish bastard!”).

Kris watched as Tao smiled sheepishly, trying to stack his remaining papers. It’s idiot and selfish, but he’s happy that Tao is happy. To see him smile like this made Kris felt like a hero, like he had freed earth from cancer or something. It’s irrelevant, but it’s something similar.

“Tao,” Kris called, and Tao turned with raised eyebrows, asking for him to continue.

Softly, he pressed his palm on Tao’s forehead, in which Tao leaned in, resting his weight on Kris’ hand. Kris squealed internally, but frowned when actually feeling the heat in his palm, “You are burning up, Taozi. Do you want to go home?”

Tao shook his head as he stood back straight slowly, “No, I am good, I am in the middle of my research, and you needed it by next week for the project, remember?”

“I do, but I could do it as well,”

“No, it’s okay,”

Kris nodded, “If you say so,” he smiled, although his concern did not waver.

Tao stared at him for a moment before smiled back, a small one, but Kris was still grateful for it.

Both of them walked to the elevator to go back to their floor. Kris pressed the elevator button as soon as everyone cramped in, Sehun and Luhan behind Tao, chatting away about nobody knows what, Sooyoung and Siwon beside them and the pink tint on her cheeks looks so damn obvious, Hyoyeon and Donghae was talking to another employee Tao remembered as Eunhyuk, while Yixing, Jongdae, Minseok and Amber were cramped in the corner with Yunho and Hangeng. The elevator was full, but thankfully the ride was short. It made Tao’s head a little dizzy though, so as soon as they reached their floor, he stepped out and went straight to his office. Kris traced Tao’s movement with his eyes, clearly worried. He appreciated Tao’s wish to stay to do the research but really, he doesn’t mind doing it for him especially with his condition. He, however, decided to respect Tao’s decision and walked back to Siwon’s office with the rest of the managers and partners to discuss the next step in the project.

It was nearly three in the afternoon when they finished and Kris’ neck was so stiff it produces cracking sound when he tilted his head.

“Let’s have lunch downstairs,” Siwon said, “I bet everyone is hungry,”

“Does that means you’re paying, oppa?” Hyoyeon asked with a meaningful smile.

Siwon laughed, “Who am I to say no to that smile?”

“Urgh, cheesy, hyung! No wonder you get along well with Kris. You have the same cheesiness,” Luhan said, scrunching his nose.

“I am not!” Kris defended, pretending to look offended.

“Come on, I am hungry too!” Donghae said, leading them outside of Siwon’s office, pulling Eunhyuk with him. Hangeng laughed behind them, shaking his head. Donghae when hungry was very persistent.

They walked to the hall and waited for the elevator to come. It took forever, but when it finally came, Kris stepped backwards as he remembered someone he should check on while the other shuffled into the square box.

“Hey, I need to get something, I’ll meet you guys downstairs, ok!” Kris made excuse before they enter the elevator. The rest were too hungry to actually pay attention, save for Hyoyeon who’s too excited she has successfully made her brother pay for her lunch again. He saw Luhan nodding while mumbling something, possibly thinking about what he should order.

Kris re-entered their floor, and headed towards Tao’s office. The door was closed tight, so maybe Tao was deep concentrating in his research. Kris knocked three times, and waited for answer but there’s none. There’s a tug in his chest and he decided to open the door carefully. Without actually looking, he slipped inside. When he made his turn to face the desk, he was met with the view of Tao’s head laid on the desk.

“Tao!” Kris exclaimed.

Kris was not sure if Tao fainted, so he approached him and shook his body a little. He then realized that Tao’s body temperature was even higher, and his face was flushing red while his lips dead pale.

“Tao, wake up,” he whispered, starting to get panicked.

Tao didn’t open his eyes but he whimpered, frowning, “My eyes were hot, so uncomfortable,”

Kris made a relieved sigh. Tao was only sleeping, “Come, let’s go. Let me take you home,” he pulled Tao’s arm gently.

Tao whimpered again, “My life is weird and messy,”

Kris stared at Tao for a moment. It doesn’t seem like he actually know what he was saying, or maybe he was still dreaming, so Kris pulled him straight and rested him on his chair, “Taozi, wake up,”

“Uh... Don’t want... My head’s spinning...” Tao whined, his head lulled to one side, “I want sleep,”

Kris smiled softly, maybe it’s good that he’s half asleep, “I know, baby, but it’s not comfortable, right? Lets go home and you can sleep on your bed,”

“Promise?” Tao mumbles.

“Yes, but now open your eyes okay, we need to walk to my car, I will take you home,” Kris said, Tao’s temple softly.

“Are you going to leave me again after?” Tao opened his eyes. They looked tired and glassy, resembling a lost puppy.

Kris was stunned in place. The simple question shut him up for a moment.

“No, Taozi, I wont,” finally he answered gently, cupping Tao’s cheek with one hand.

“How can I trust you when you lied before?” Tao whispered, his eyes boring into Kris’.

“I would keep my promise this time,” Kris replied as soon as the question left Tao’s lips, smiling sadly. Even though they had been working together and interactiong for sometime now, it turned out that Tao still has doubts about him. No wonder he rejected him the previous day.

“Urgh,” Tao whined again, closing his eyes tightly, “Papers, so much papers my eyes hurt,”

It disappoints him a little now that Tao was partly unconscious, and that his thoughts jumped from one to the other. He only hoped that the younger really meant his last question. He needed Tao to need him, to want him, to trust him.

Kris finally decided that talking to him was not going to make them move any faster so he pulled Tao to his feet and slipped his own body under Tao’s shoulder, half lifting and dragging the younger towards the elevator.

Thankfully this time, as it was meant to be, the elevator came faster. They reached Kris’ car in one minute and drove off the next. Kris turned the heater on when he saw the younger’s body trembled.

“Yifan, it hurts. My head hurts, my face is hot, but my body is cold,” Tao whispered, his voice needy.

“I know baby,” Kris felt warm in his chest upon hearing his real name slipped softly from Tao’s lips. He took Tao’s hand in his, “We’re really close now. Which floor do you live in?” he said as he made a turn on the lights.

“How old are you?” Tao asked him back.

Kris chuckles, “Your floor, honey,”

“Hmm... I am eighteen,” Tao mumbles faintly.

“You’re… in 18th floor?” Kris asked, frowning, trying to decipher Tao’s rambles.

“…” Tao’s voice disappeared, and was replaced by a soft snore. Kris couldn’t blame him, his fever is getting worse.

Kris made another turn into the apartment complex, parked his car next to the lobby and made a phone call to Luhan. The man sounded more cheerful now that he has food in his system, and asked for Kris to come right away. Kris informed him that he wouldn’t be able to come for he’s now taking Tao home.

“Was he alright?” Luhan asked, the faint sound of chatter let Kris know that he walked away from their table to talk to him.

“Well he is safe with me, if that’s what you meant. But his fever got worse, I found him fell asleep on his desk. I’m taking him to his apartment but I don’t know which one it is. Do you?” Kris said as he stared at Tao’s reddened cheeks, even from the small distance provided in the car he could feel the heat radiating from him.

“It’s the one on the top floor. Turn left when you step out of the elevator, it’s the last apartment on your right hand side. The code is 0205,” Luhan’s voice sounded calm, “Do you know if he had eaten anything?”

“I don’t know but I don’t think so, he has been working since the presentation was over,”

“You should wake him up and try to make him eat. It usually got even worse if he didn’t,”

“Okay, I got it. Thanks, Lu,”

“No worries, Kris. Please call if you or Tao need anything, I’ll come there,”

“I will, thank you,” Kris ended the phone call.

Kris found Tao’s apartment easily, although upon entering, he realized that he didn’t know which one was his room in the apartment, and he didn’t want to open a room to see Tao and Suho’s shared one, so he laid Tao on the couch, and spread a blanket he found in the closet over him. Tao was still shivering and made small whimpers every time he made a movement. Kris took both his shoes off, and wet his handkerchief then put it on Tao’s forehead.

Tao whimpered again, his eyelashes moistened. Kris cupped his cheek with one hand, another ran through Tao’s hair, “It’s okay, baby... I’m here...”

“Cold... I don’t like,” Tao whispered from under the blanket, rubbed the handkerchief off his forehead.

“We should make the fever go away somehow, sweetheart,” Kris whispered back, kissing Tao’s temple as he put the handkerchief back. Seeing Tao so sick and vulnerable made his heart clenched, he wanted nothing but to kiss the sickness away.

“I like you, gege… You’re warm,” he whispered again, before letting out another whimper.

Kris smiled, really hoping Tao means it. He watched Tao turning on the couch, clutching the blanket in both hands. He was shivering slightly, his eyebrows connected in one deep frown. He made sounds every time he took a breath, as if his ribs ached when his lungs expand.

Kris wanted to get some medicine for him, but he didn’t know where the medicine cabinet is, or the extra blanket to make him warmer. At the same time, he didn’t want to leave Tao alone to buy medicine. He’s scared Tao would get worsen and no one is there to help. So he continued caressing Tao’s head, until he stopped whimpering and just sleeping. He texted Luhan to let him know he had taken Tao home and they are not going back to the office. Luhan texted him back saying he would make excuse for both of them and thanked him for taking care of their youngest, even though Kris felt that it’s him that he should be thankful to. Because for him, even though Tao was sick, it was also a kind of blessing for him, for now he get to spend more time than he has ever get with the younger since his return. Not to mention after the scene he had made and caused the day before.

Kris sighed. They have got home for an hour and Tao was not getting better, even though that now he was sleeping so at least he should stop getting worse. Kris was so deep in his own thoughts that he didn’t realize the apartment door opened and closed.

“Hello,”

Kris turned and was met with the same familiar face he saw days ago.

“Suho,” he greeted, raised from his position, now standing next to the couch. He completely forgot about Suho.

“I remember you. And I see you remember me, Kris,” Suho smiled softly, putting his backpack and jacket on the kitchen counter.

“Yes,” Kris nodded, finding it a little hard to smile back at Suho. Suddenly he felt like he was just being an idiot yet again. Why didn’t he make Suho pick Tao up instead? He wouldn’t be the one in an awkward situation standing here in a stranger’s apartment.

“How are you?” Suho moved closer, smiling softly.

“I am good,”

“Nice to hear. Ah,” Suho noticed a bump on the couch, “He has fever again?” Suho walked past Kris and around the coffee table, pressing the back of his hand on Tao’s cheek. Before Kris had a chance to respond, Suho mumbles, “He is,”

“He has it often?” Kris asked, curious with Suho’s reaction.

Suho turned to him and smiles, “Only when he got rained on,” he caressed Tao’s head, “Not other kind of weather, not when he’s so tired, not because of snow, just rain,”

Kris was slightly hurt upon hearing that. Suho know Tao way better than he did. He didn’t know any of that and he was his boyfriend. His mind suddenly flew to the last day they met, their fight. He let Tao ran under the rain too. Did he have fever too back then?

Tao whimpered again, bringing Kris back from his thoughts. He wanted to came closer to the younger, but Suho was closer and thus, faster.

“Hey baby,” Suho whispered.

Kris felt like slapped. Of course Suho called him baby. Tao must have been thinking he was Suho the whole time Kris was taking care of him. ‘Idiot times two,’ he thought.

“DID your eyes burn again?” Suho asked, his thumb grazing over Tao’s closed eyelids.

Tao groaned, confirming.

“Do you want to change? I think pajamas are more comfortable than your shirt, right?”

“Cold, don’t wanna change,” Tao mumbled into the pillow.

As much as Kris hated to watch Suho baby Tao, he can’t help but to watch and listen to the adorable noises Tao kept on making. He, though, wanted to be the one to take care the younger.

“I know. I tell you what, if you change, I would call Mr. Lee and ask if he could make that soup you really like, and that chocolate croissant you really like too,” Suho smiled, softly rubbing a thumb on Tao’s temple.

Slowly and slightly, Tao nodded, “I need help. My head hurts, I can’t move,” he whispered.

“You can’t? Come on, try and sit,” Suho pulled Tao’s hand slightly.

“There’s a hippo,” Tao whispered, glued to the couch, “and an apple, juggling pineapple,” he snuggled to his pillow.

Both Kris and Suho chuckled, “Yeah, this happens too,” Suho turned to inform Kris, “Seemed like his fever is a little harsh this time… He usually still able to complain a lot… Well, I guess we should just let him sleep for a while before making him eat and drink meds,”

Kris nodded dumbly, “Yes, I think that’s a good idea,”

Suho sighed as he rose, not forgetting to plant a kiss on Tao’s hair. Kris turned his face away, that tug in his heart was too hard to ignore now.

“Do you want to stay for dinner? I can make… Cereal?” Suho asked as he walked to the kitchen.

“No, thank you, I think I should get going now. I believe he’s in good hands,” Kris said, taking his jacket, started to walk to the door.

“About that, these good hands don’t really cook. Do you think you can cook for him before I kill him with mine?” Suho grinned, and Kris stopped on his track, turning towards Suho, who was raising his eyebrows up and down.

And Kris gave in. He sure wanted to keep Tao alive.

“Alright,” he said.

“Good,” Suho nodded, same angelic smile plastered on his face. He walked to the fridge, opening the freezer section. After rummaging around a while, he straightened up and turned to Kris, “Do you make good fish ball soup?”

Kris smiled, “Where’s the pan?”

Suho pointed to one of the cabinet and Kris walked around the counter to get it.

“Why fish ball? Wasn’t chicken soup better for fever?” Kris asked, setting the pan on the stove then proceed to wash his hands on the sink. It is really weird and awkward for him to even be here in the same room with Suho right now, but as he would still be here for another hour or so to cook for Tao, might as well try and make conversation with the other man.

“Yeah, but he didn’t really eat much when he’s sick anyways. Fish ball is chewy and Tao likes chewy. It’s the only thing he would eat voluntarily when he’s sick,” Suho smiled, glancing at Tao’s sleeping figure on the couch.

A small smile crept to Kris’ lips. There are so many things about Tao he didn’t know. Too much things that he had missed. It was sad, and pathetic, but somehow at the same time learning all these new things made him feel better and warm inside.

“Good to know,” Kris finally said.

Suho smiled at him, “You have something in your mind,” he said as he prepared two cups and set it aside in front of various jars of chocolate powders and sugars.

Kris glanced at Suho, drying his hands with a napkin he found next to the sink,  “Just about how lucky he is to have someone who knew so much about him, like you,”

Suho smiled wider, “You could too,”

A pang of emotion Kris couldn’t yet decipher him right to his heart. Of course, Suho caught him spot on.

Kris decided not to respond, but proceed with cooking. He filled the pan with water, adding various ingredients then waiting for it to boil. While waiting, he washed a couple cups of rice, and turn the rice cooker on while Suho fix them a cup of warm coffee. It was cappuccino.

“Tao told me once that you make good coffee,” Suho said as he handed one cup to Kris, “I only have instant ones, but I swear this is good enough,”

Kris accepted the cup and took a sip, laughing as he did so, “You should try my coffee. It’s far better than this,”

Suho laughed too, “I should,”

The water reached its boiling temperature and Kris added some fish balls and fresh spinach to it. He stirred for a moment, then scooped some into two bowls.

“Here, have one,” Kris pushed one bowl towards Suho, right at the time the rice cooker clicked.

“Whoops! Right on time!” Suho jumped to the rice cooker, scooping rice to a bowl, “We should feed him first,” he said as he searched for a spoon.

“Sure,” Kris grabbed the other bowl of soup then brought it towards the couch.

Tao was still fast asleep, not disturbed by the sound they’re making, or by the smell of the fish ball soup and coffee. Kris was unsure what to do. He was just standing there next to the couch, hoping Suho would do something first. He didn’t want to overstep the boundaries. Tao is with Suho. He was a nobody in this.

As if understanding what Kris was thinking, Suho glanced at him with the same smile, then scooted down next to Tao, a bowl of rice in hand, “Tao... Wake up, we have soup for you,”

Tao didn’t respond.

Suho lifted one hand and ran it through Tao’s hair, “Baby, wake up,”

This time Kris couldn’t take it anymore and he just had to turn away.

‘What are you even doing here, you idiot?’ he thought, scolding himself for being incredibly out of place.

“Ugh,” Tao stirred, burying his face deeper into the pillow.

“Let’s have something to eat,” Suho said, cooing next to Tao’s face.

“No...” Tao whispered faintly. His nose was so sore; his eyes are still burning and heavy. He just wanted to sleep, until the next decade if it’s possible.

Kris turned his attention back to Tao, couldn’t stand the younger’s weak whispers any longer. He really wanted to help him and make him feel better. Kris stepped closer, scooting next to Suho. He’s already halfway inside the water so why not just swim too?

“You need to eat so you can have meds...” Kris coaxed with soft voice.

Tao just whimpered in response.

Kris sighs. He didn’t mind giving anything Tao wanted, but clearly the younger needed to get better too.

“I have an idea,” Suho rose up to his feet then heads for the kitchen. A couple clanking was heard then he returned with a cup of fresh washed strawberries and sugar. Proudly, he held the cup towards Kris.

“What?”

“Feed him. You said you wanted to learn about him, right? The only thing Tao couldn’t resist, strawberries,” Suho smiled as Kris took the cup.

“How do I do that? He didn’t even want to wake up,” Kris stared at Tao’s still flushing cheeks, pressing his free hand on the pale forehead. His fever was still high.

“Dip one strawberry to the sugar, hold it on the corner of his mouth,” Suho instructed.

Raising one eyebrow, and clearly thinking it’s going to be impossible, Kris took one strawberry then tapped it a couple times on the small mount of sugar on the bottom of the cup. Following Suho’s instruction, he planted it on the corner of Tao’s lips.

He watched as Tao slowly took a deep breath, his tongue peeped from between his lips. He tilted his head a little, opening his mouth to capture the strawberry. Kris pushed the red fruit gently into Tao’s mouth and watched in awe as the younger started to chew slowly, even though his eyes were still closed.

Kris turned to Suho, still in the same amazement, “He ate!”

Suho chuckled, “he did,”

Kris put another strawberry on the corner of Tao’s lips, and watched as the trick worked for the second time. Kris grinned in delight, and Suho doesn’t miss the expression.

“Well, feed him, okay. I have my own soup to eat,” Suho clasped his hands together then walked to the kitchen, watching the pair on the couch with the corner of his eyes in fascination.