Heaps of exercise and a fight

Happy

“We should try harder, Tao. Here, let me help you,” Kris said, looking at the part of exercise Tao was doing. Both of them were back in Tao’s living room, bending over English exercise books. Kris had copied so many of them that the younger lost count. He was now working on the grammar exercises, the fifth one of the day.

“Ge, will I make it?” Tao stopped writing, gaze fixed on the workbook.

Kris looked up at Tao.

“Of course. You have the best teacher out there,” Kris replied matter-of-factly.

“But..”

“No, don’t think about other possibilities, you will make it,”

Tao smiled faintly at Kris. He really wanted to make it. This is literally the first time he failed any exam and he now felt doubtful about his own capabilities. He knew Kris had tried nothing but encouraged him, yet Tao still felt unsure.

Tao took a deep breath, choosing to believe Kris’ words, hoping that they were true. The elder smiled at him, and then opened his laptop, typing something and turned the screen towards him.

“There’s another test this weekend. Do you want to try?”

Tao stared at Kris before nodding. He didn’t want to waste any opportunity. The deadline is coming closer and he really needed to try as hard as he could.

“Okay, lets finish this exercise. Then we will have a break before working on another one,” Kris instructed, and Tao complied. As always.

 

 

 

“Tao, you looked so tired!” Luhan said as his video call finally connected to Tao.

“Hello, Ge!” Tao rubbed his eyes, trying to rid of the fatigue that’s visible.

“Yeah as if that helps,” Luhan frowned, “What have you been doing?”

“Studying,” Tao replied.

“I thought the final exam has finished. D.O already invited me for celebratory dinner and Chanyeol can’t stop ing about it on his status updates,”

“No it’s not for the final exam,”

“What was it for?”

“College?”

“You’re finally decided on going? What major are you going to take?”

“Business,” Tao smiled.

“Whoa! You are going to love it here, Tao. I’m planning on enrolling on the masters program so we can go to school together! I will take you to places to hang out around campus and show you where to find what!” Luhan said excitedly.

“In England, Ge..” Tao replied, “I’m planning on going to England for college but I’m still stuck with the English proficiency exam...” he rubbed his eyes again.

“Huh? England? Why so sudden? You should’ve prepare since long time ago..” Luhan sounded concerned.

“I know, I’m a bit late, but Kris said it’s possible..”

“I didn’t say it’s impossible either, Tao,” Luhan frowned, “but at least if you had prepared earlier you don’t have to force yourself to study so hard like this. Have you seen yourself in the mirror lately? Your eyes were so puffy like baby’s cheeks,”

Tao laughed, “I’m okay, Ge.. I really want to do this. I want to go to England, and study with Kris, going to places with him, graduate together.. Kris said I can do it,”

Luhan raised an eyebrow, “Really, Tao?”

“Yes,” Tao nodded in assurance.

“No that’s not what I meant. I meant are you sure that this is what you want?”

“Uh huh,” Tao nodded again. He was sure. He was sure he was sure and he had been thinking he was sure.

“Okay, but take a rest for now, okay? You looked like you have a tattoo under your eyes,” Luhan smiled, “and drink a lot,”

“Ge, don’t go all D.O hyung on me haha,”

“No, no, no, ew. Ew! I don’t want to be an umma! Ew!”

They laughed together for a while, before Luhan asked again, “You’re sure, right?”

“Yes,” Tao replied with a smile.

“Okay them! Now go and rest. Brush your teeth first!”

“Okay, goodnight, second umma!” Tao laughed again before jumping off his bed to brush his teeth, closing his laptop.

“Yah! I’m not an umma!” Luhan yelled at the now black screen.

 

 

A week later, Tao got his exam result. He still didn’t pass. He decided on taking another one on the following week but he failed the test again. Without realizing, Kris and Tao’s supposedly departure date was getting closer than ever. It’s two weeks before the D-day and Tao was still hunched over his exercise books. He hasn’t move away from his workbooks lately and it started to bug his butler.

“Young Master, would you like something to drink?” Mr. Lee asked, standing in front of Tao.

“No, Mr. Lee, I’m okay..” Tao mumbled, his eyes didn’t leave his workbook. He had to study by himself today, as Kris was out with his parents to get some stuff before they leave for England. Kris had left him with a pile of workbooks and Tao had promised the elder to finish them all today.

Mr. Lee sighed, “Mr and Mrs. Huang called today, saying they couldn’t reach you, Young Master,”

“Yes, I turned my phone off to cut distractions, Kris said I need to do it so I can study better,” Tao replied, rubbing his left eye.

“I told your parents that you were studying and they asked me about your registration progress,” Mr. Lee sat beside Tao, “Young Master Tao, I am sorry if I cross the line but..”

Tao stopped writing and looked up to see his butler. Mr. Lee was pained to see the reflection in his young master’s gaze. His eyes were obviously tired, he hasn’t been eating properly no matter how delicious the food his maids had made for him, and he hadn’t sleep enough either. He knew Tao needed his rest more than ever now but he also knew Tao’s stubbornness like the back of his hand. Nevertheless, he still tried.

“Maybe, just maybe, you should try next year. Just so you have a lot more time to prepare, right now it looked like you force yourself. You have been sleeping late and waking up so early to work on the exercises..” Mr. Lee continued.

“No, Mr. Lee.. I can’t.. I want to go this year..” Tao responded.

“But Young Master Tao—“

“Mr. Lee, I think I can use some warm milk..” Tao cut Mr. Lee’s sentence, not wanting to continue their conversation.

Catching the hint, Mr. Lee stood, “Coming right up, Young Master. Do you want some strawberry jam in them as usual?”

 Tao smiled gratefully, “Yes, please,”

Mr. Lee smiled back to him before retreating to the kitchen to prepare the requested treat, trying to help his young master as much as he could.

 

 

 

Tao and Kris were back sitting around the Tao’s coffee table on the nice Saturday morning. Yes, Kris even made Tao study on the weekend.

They were sitting next to each other; Kris circled his left arm around Tao’s waist, Tao leaned on his side as he worked on his workbook again.

It was rainy outside. The sun was peeking, but the droplets of water fell nevertheless. It was cozy weather. Two cups of fresh coffee sat in front of them, the smell of caramel tantalizing their nose.

“It’s nice,” Tao said out of the blue as he kept on writing on his workbook.

“What is?” Kris shifted his gaze from his laptop. He was just registering his school ID and setting his email for the library use.

“This,” Tao leaned to rest his head on Kris’ shoulder, “Having you close in this weather, drinking your coffee while cuddling,”

Kris chuckled, “Yes, it’s really nice,” he pulled Tao closer, “and it’s good to have warm coffee during rainy days right? I love drinking coffee on rainy days..”

Tao nodded as he sighed, “Your coffee is the best, Yifan ge..”

“Thank you, Taozi,” Kris kissed the top of Tao’s head.

Tao smiled as he sat straight.

“How was the correspondence emails, Ge?” he peeked Kris’ laptop.

“I requested something last week and they emailed me the answer. The school had made special arrangements for you. They will extend your requirements deadline to the departure day!”

“Its good, right, Ge?” Tao asked.

“Yes, it’s really good. You will have one more chance to do the exam next week..”

“You don’t think I will pass the one this week?” the younger asked.

Kris looked up to Tao.

“No, no, that was not what I meant!”

“It’s okay, ge, I’m starting to lose faith in myself too..” Tao looked down to his pencil, scratching the sides with his short nails.

“No, no! Tao, don’t.” Kris took Tao’s chin then lift it so he can stare the younger, “I am so sorry, that was not what I meant..”

“Ge..” Tao started to tear up.

“Oh no, no, don’t cry please..” Kris let go of Tao’s chin then held him on his side, pulling the younger in his arms.

“I’m sorry.. I’m sorry, okay?”

Kris felt a weak nod against his chest.

He caressed Tao’s back to soothe him as Tao relaxed in his arms. Maybe the pressure was too much, or maybe he was just curious, but then he asked Kris something that made the elder think.

“You would wait for me to go with you, right, Ge?”

Kris’ eyes grew wide.

He had never thought of that before.

He would, wouldn’t he?

Right. That had never crossed his mind and he wasn’t sure about it.

Not knowing what to say, he kept his silence.

Kris felt Tao started to tense up in his arms. He could feel the younger was struggling, trying to sit back up, so he tightened his grip around him. He couldn’t look at Tao in the eyes and lie. Not having to see him would make it easier.

He nodded softly against Tao’s hair.

Tao looked up and smiled.

“I thought so..” he said before relaxing back in Kris’ arms.

Kris had never thought about not going to England.

It was his dream. It had always been; to go abroad and study, to earn good degree, to work the best job and earn best position, to gain various experiences and to build good network.

It had always been his dream and his mother was his biggest inspiration.

Mrs. Wu was born in a big family as the eldest daughter. She practically gave up her childhood to take care of her 6 younger brothers and sisters. Her highest education was high school. She was about to take a diploma but it was the same time her younger siblings needs to go to elementary school, so again, she gave it up. Yet she had always loved education. She made sure all her siblings do their home works and earn good scores. She helped them to do papers and assignments without even one complain. Even when she was finally married she didn’t stop. She took a course in education and became an elementary teacher until now. It was from her that Kris learned the importance of education. He had always tried to do the best in school, to make up for all the privilege his mother didn’t get to experience.

Would he give it all up for Zitao, a boy he had just met 3 months ago?

The same Zitao who had send him to seventh heaven every time he was near?

The same Zitao who now had the same dream as he does, the one who kept on failing on his exams despite his efforts?

But was it actually fair for him not to go for Zitao while he had prepared his whole life for this moment, for this chance?

A part of his heart didn’t want to disappoint his mother while the other doesn’t want to be apart from Tao. He knew everything had happened so fast and it’s almost like they didn’t take a moment to breathe but the thought of not being with Tao was actually just as suffocating.

‘Tsk. It was not even for sure yet. Tao better pass his exam.’ Kris thought as gave the young boy in his arms a light squeeze.

 

 

“Tao! How are youuuu?” Baekhyun barged into Tao’s living room a week after with Chanyeol, D.O, and Kai.

“Huh? Hyung? What?” Tao sat up, startled from being awakened. He was just taking a nap on his living room couch after finishing his seventh exercise that day. He had finished taking his last exam but he still study, just in case.

“How are you doing? You didn’t come to the final exam celebratory party! D.O made good food! Steak, I tell you, steak! Steak everywheeeeereeeeeeee” Chanyeol jumped to the couch on the other side of the coffee table.

“What?” Tao asked again, still trying to regain his correct mind. He was having a deep nap before all his friends appeared.

“STEAAAAAKKKKKK” Chanyeol said again, hugging the cushion, “It was so goooooddd, and since you were not there I get to eat two of them!”

“Yeah it was so good, Kyung!” Kai said, pulling D.O closer to him.

The elder was blushing as he nodded, “Thank you, Jongin-ah..”

“So, how are you doing, Tao?” Baekhyun sat on Tao’s feet.

“Good, good. Look, guys, I’m sorry I need to.. Hey! Where were my workbooks?” Tao yelped as the coffee table was clear.

“I put them away for a while, young master Tao,” Mr. Lee came into the room with a tray in his hands, calming smell of tea filled the air, “Tea and biscuits for you and your friends,”

Mr. Lee prepared the cups and the plates, and then placed the biscuits in the middle, “Thanks Mr. Lee!!” Chanyeol shrieked as he reached for a lemon cookie, humming in happiness on the first bite.

Tao looked at Mr. Lee with questioning eyes.

“You have been working so hard, young master, and you deserved a break. Have a good time with your friends, dinner will be served soon,” Mr. Lee winked. Tao smiled and nodded.

“Thank you, Mr. Lee,” he said, showing his infamous eye smile.

Mr. Lee smiled back, patted Tao’s head before excusing himself to the kitchen.

“This is so good!! So gooooddd!!” Chanyeol exclaimed as he reached for the sugar coated butter cookie.

“Yah! Yeol! Leave some for me!” Kai yelped, reaching for honey oatmeal cookie and chocolate chip cookie, putting them on his plate so Chanyeol couldn’t eat them.

“This is good! Tao, have some!” Baekhyun handed Tao a raisin cookie.

Tao took his first bite as he stared all his friends in the room, smiling, “I am happy you guys are here,” he mumbled, looking down at his cookie.

“Heh? Haha!” D.O stood to sit beside Tao, laughing. He pushed Tao’s arm in playful manner, “Of course you are!”

Big fat tears suddenly rolled down from Tao’s cheeks to the blanket that still covered his legs as he began to sob.

“Yah, yah!” Kai pointed at Tao, now aware of the situation.

“Omooo~ Tao!” said Chanyeol between his teeth, stopped munching on 3 cookies at a time.

Baekhyun chuckled at the sight, “So finally all those studying has taken its toll on you, eh?”

Tao remained silent, eating his cookie while sobbing.

“Yah, yah, drink this, drink!” D.O picked up Tao’s cup towards him, which Tao accepted gratefully.

“Are you tired, Tao?” Baekhyun asked, holding Tao’s free hand in his.

The younger nodded silently, finally swallowed the last piece of his cookie. Yes he was so tired, and now that he had admitted it he felt even more tired. Apart from all that he felt for Kris, he really had made Tao study so much and push him so far; making Tao himself tried so hard too and it was so tiring. It’s tiring to constantly study, and to kept on failing.

Baekhyun chuckled again as he pulled Tao towards his chest, feeling relieved that Tao was soon leaning comfortably there even though he was still crying, “Its okay, its okay, it would pass soon, you would pass the test and you wouldn’t have to study English anymore,” he said as he rocked back and forth to sooth Tao.

D.O was frantically looking for some tissues. When he found it, he pulled out a dozen of them then dabbed it on Tao’s face, “Hush now, its okay now. Its okay, you can take a break,”

Tao smiled in between his remaining tears before finally stopped crying. He looked around the room, stared at his dear friends.

“How did you guys know?” Tao asked.

“Well, Luhan hyung skyped me the other day saying you could need a nice distraction from all the studying, and Suho hyung also insisted that we should come and cheer you up and just to remind you we’re supporting you whatever you wanted to do, but I also noticed that I haven’t seen you anywhere since the end of our final exam. You didn’t even reply to my messages and calls so here we are!” Baekhyun answered, making circles on Tao’s back.

Tao smiled at Baekhyun, “Thank you, hyung. Thank you, guys... This meant a lot,”

Kai and Chanyeol grinned at him before grabbing some more cookies. Baekhyun was still making circles on his back and D.O was staring at him with soft smile, before he realized that the cookies were almost finished by the two eating machine.

“Now, have some more of this delicious cookies before Chanyeol and Kai devoured them clean!” D.O grabbed some more cookies and put them on Tao’s plate, then poured some more tea for everyone.

“Chamomile tea,” D.O smiled as he handed Tao his cup, “Its good for you now,”

Tao mumbled a thank you and drank the light brown liquid clean. He had felt so much better already.

The five of them spent the evening together, eating Mr. Lee’s famous macaroni schotle and baked chicken skewers while playing on Tao’s almost forgotten xbox (It was inside the drawer in the living room right now since Kris made Tao study basically all the time). Chanyeol and Kai were holding the controllers while D.O shoved food into their mouths so they’d stop bickering and cursing. It was an interesting scene to watch, really. Every time Chanyeol or Kai took a deep breath or gasped before saying something, D.O would come and pushed more chicken between their teeth. It was amazing how Tao could still eat between all the laughing. Baekhyun had choked on his food twice because of all the commotions happening during dinner.

When they were done with the schotle, skewers, and xbox, Mr. Lee appeared again, showing his white teeth.

“Yes, Mr. Lee?” Tao asked after he managed to stop laughing.

“I have a surprise for you, young master Tao,” he said with the same grin, then motioned for them to follow him.

He led them to the kitchen, Tao’s favorite place in the house during his childhood because his mom used to cook for him and his father every Sunday morning and ate together there. But now, instead of three strawberry waffles and fresh milk, the counter was filled with colorful dishes, oh so many of them.

Somehow Mr. Lee and the other house staff had managed to produce all kinds of desserts for them. There were fresh macaroons, chocolate croissant, opera cake slices, tiramisu cups, blueberry pie, red velvet pops, nutella cupcakes, peanut butter cups, banana mousse, green tea pudding, fruit jellies, rainbow cake, chocolate fudge, marshmallow rice krispies treats, chocolate covered strawberries, white chocolate cinnamon rolls, strawberry cheesecake, oreo truffles, almond berries pound cake, strawberry crepe, chocolate chip cannoli, truffle brownies, chocolate strawberry torte, and strawberry shortcakes. It was almost like early Christmas minus the eggnog and gingerbread man.

Bad idea. Bad bad idea.

While Tao, Kai, and Chanyeol were stunned in place, starring blankly at the cakes, Baekhyun and D.O looked at each other for a minute, sending the same message.

Do.

Not.

Let.

The other three.

Eat.

All the desserts.

They nodded to each other in agreement and were about to jump to strangle Tao, Kai, and Chanyeol but it was too late.

Tao was the first to shriek in excitement and ran towards the counter at lightning speed, followed by Chanyeol and Kai. All three of them grabbed the forks and started to dig the desserts, yelling in excitement and satisfaction.

“MR. LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE” Tao sang as he chewed the chocolate strawberry torte.

“OHMYGOD OHMYGOD OHMYGOD!” Chanyeol said between his munches.

“Try this, Chan!” Kai shoved a piece of the fudge into Chanyeol’s mouth, who chewed it gratefully, closing his eyes in pure enjoyment, groaning in delight, “Tao, Tao!” Kai shoved the same dessert to Tao’s mouth as soon as the Panda turned his face towards him. Tao, in return, pushed the red velvet pops between Kai’s teeth and scooped the pudding into Chanyeol’s. Chanyeol was eating by himself, not feeding anyone, busy with trying all the desserts but opened his mouth to whatever Tao and Kai shoved him.

In just five minutes the kitchen was a mess because Tao, Chanyeol and Kai jumping on each other trying to reach and taste all the desserts.

Baekhyun turned to face Mr. Lee, who was smiling so wide.

“Mr. Lee, I’m sorry they mess the kitchen. Chanyeol is barbaric when it comes to desserts,” he sighed.

“Kai too. God. I cannot comprehend their stomach capacity,” D.O face palmed.

Mr. Lee chuckled, “Its okay, the kitchen can be cleaned later. I’m just relieved he’s back into eating and having fun,” nodding his head towards Tao who was currently had two macaroons in his mouth.

“Had he been studying a lot?” D.O asked, concerned.

“Too much, if you ask me. I tried to talk to him about it but he seemed so determined to pass. Yet somehow he didn’t,”

“That’s odd,” Baekhyun said. Even though they were not in the same grade, Baekhyun knew that Tao was really smart, his name had always been announced every end of the year as the first rank because of his perfect scores.

“I agree. I knew the kid since he was a newborn and I knew he was smart even then. If he learned something, he’d ace it without exception,” Mr. Lee smiled proudly.

“There must be something else then,” Baekhyun mumbled, fingers on his chin, thinking. What could be the cause? If there were something different then it would be—

Before he could point anything, the doorbell rang.

“Ah! It must be them,” Mr. Lee said in glee before disappearing to open the front door.

Tao, Kai, and Chanyeol were still munching away with no sign of stopping. Baekhyun and D.O decided to join them before three of the youngest ate everything clean. They were just grabbed their forks when a familiar voice chimed in.

“Having a party without us, eh?”

The five of them turned to the kitchen entrance as two figures joined them.

“Suho hyuuuungggg!!!” Tao exclaimed, ran to hug Suho. The elder laughed so hard, hugging Tao back as he reached to ruffle his hair. Suho was so happy to see Tao looking so lively and cheerful. Luhan’s phone call had worried him throughout the week.

“You know I loved those cinnamon rolls but you didn’t bother to invite me?”

“Luhan Geeeeeeeeee!!” Tao jumped towards the other new comer. Luhan hugged Tao back, moving and tuning him around in the kitchen happily, “You look so happy, little didi!”

Tao laughed, hugging his gege tightly. He was so happy that everyone was in his house, just like they used to do before the eldest two left the town.

“Hyung, hurry come here! These three are going to eat everything!” Baekhyun called.

“Don’t worry, I have prepared some more treats,” Mr. Lee opened the fridge, pulling out seven small containers.

“ICE CREAM!” Tao turned and screamed, eyes wide, smiling ear to ear.

“The strawberry one is always yours,” Mr. Lee pushed one container towards Tao.

Tao received it in his hands, opening the plastic cap carefully. He stretched the inner lid open slowly, then scooped the first bite of the strawberry ice cream. He smiled in contentment before jumped to hug Mr. Lee.

“Mr. Leeeee!! You are the best!” he cried.

The poor old butler laughed as he let his young master hug the dear life out of him. He was happy to see Tao eat happily and enjoyed his time again. He heard Tao’s whisper as his grip loosened, “Thank you,”

Mr. Lee smiled at Tao.

“I guess I should be preparing the bedroom?” he asked the commotion in front of him.

“Yes, please, Mr. Lee? I could never take Chanyeol home like this, he’s just going to jump unstoppably in the car, oh God,” Baekhyun pouted as the said boy waved his fork in the air while Kai tried to snatch it.

“I didn’t want to take Kai home too. He’s just going to do wild things in the way, I don’t know, he might try and climb traffic light poles,” D.O said as he scratched his head.

“Yes, Luhan and I would stay for the night too if it’s not too much trouble, both of us had a long day at campus and I don’t think we could drive back home yet,” Suho said as he watched Luhan devoured his third cinnamon roll, and now spreading ice cream on the fourth one.

“Sure, would you want to stay at the guest bedroom, or master Tao’s as usual?” Mr. Lee asked though he knew the answer already.

Baekhyun, D.O and Suho exchanged smiley look.

“In Tao’s room is okay, Mr. Lee” Suho replied, smiling softly.

“Sure, sure, I would be going then. Please enjoy the desserts,” Mr. Lee gestured towards the messy counter before exiting the kitchen.

“Thank you, Mr. Lee,” said Baekhyun, D.O and Suho in unison as they joined the noisy kids who were surrounding the kitchen counter.

 

 

Tao blinked to see the mess in his room the next morning. Kai hugged Chanyeol’s left hand as he spread his right leg on top of Tao’s. Kai’s body was bent in a way that his head was glued to Tao’s. The only pillow left on the bed was the one Tao used, while the rest was left cold on the carpet, kicked off by either him, Kai, or Chanyeol. Kai’s blanket was only covering a part of his while Chanyeol was drooling on his, remaining trace of marshmallows were apparent on the corners of his mouth.

Amazing.

Not.

Tao groaned as he sat up on his bed. Luhan, Baekhyun, D.O and Suho were sleeping on the mattresses on the carpet. They were not messy; they were safe and sound in their comfortable blanket, pillows and holsters still in place.

Tao chuckled.

It had been ages since the last time they crashed at his place.

“GOOD MORNING!” Tao yelled to the room.

Chanyeol sat up straight, looking left and right, knocked Kai’s face in the process, causing him to wake up too. Both barely opened their eyes, groaned, then fell back to the bed. Suho sat on his mattress, yawned before mumbling good morning back to him. Luhan sat up only to throw his pillow at Tao before retreating back into his blanket. D.O only turned, pulling his blanket over his head. Baekhyun kicked his blanket away before sitting up.

“Good morning Panda monster,” he said, ruffling his own hair.

There was a knock on the door.

“Come in,” Tao answered.

“Good morning, young master Tao,” Mr. Lee appeared from the other side of the door, “Breakfast is ready, if you would like to have it now,”

Chanyeol sat up straight again, knocking Kai over this time, “Someone said breakfast?” he slurred.

Tao laughed, “Sure, Mr. Lee. We will be coming right down,”

Not long after, all of them were fully awake, clean and fresh from the shower. The seven of them sat around the dining table, plates of fried rice and fresh omelets in front of them. Kai and Chanyeol were the first ones to dig in.

“Chan! Eat slowly!” Baekhyun nudged Chanyeol’s side.

“Errm!” Chanyeol responded, munching the omelet.

“Gah! You and your stomach! Its like you are cheating on me with it,” Baekhyun said, throwing his hands in the air.

Chanyeol grinned before gulping some water, “I’m sorry Baekhyunnie.. Tao’s home cooking was so gooooodddd!”

“Have some more, Mr. Yeol?” Mr. Lee offered as he approached Chanyeol with a new plate of fried rice.

“Yes, yes!!” Chanyeol nodded excitedly while Baekhyun face palmed himself.

“Mr. Lee! I want some too!” Kai raised his hand while the other was holding his plate, showing that it was already empty.

“Coming right up, Mr. Kai,” said Mr. Lee as he went back to the kitchen to get some more fried rice.

“You and your stomach were still a mystery to me,” D.O mumbled, sending a glare at Kai.

“But it’s so good, I couldn’t get enough of it,”

“Whatever you eat was always good..”

“But yours were always the best!” Kai his lips.

D.O blushed, “Ya- yah!” his eyes widened, “Here, eat my omelet first!”

“Thanks hyung!” Kai smiled as he dipped his fork in D.O’s omelet.

“Eat your food, Tao,” Suho nudged him as he sipped his tea.

Just then he realized he was observing his friends too much he hasn’t touched his food, “Yes, hyung!” he said before picking up his spoon.

“Eat a lot! You need a lot of energy,” said Luhan on Tao’s right side, patting the younger’s hair.

“You sound like an umma,” Suho said.

“I am not D.O!” Luhan replied, half yelling.

“I’m just saying!” Suho replied.

“What do you mean you’re not me?” D.O jumped in the argument.

“I’m not an umma!” Luhan spat.

“Well I am not too for sure,” Chanyeol joined too.

“No you’re not in the conversation, just eat,” Baekhyun replied as he shoved some more omelet in Chanyeol’s mouth.

“Luhan hyung is nowhere like Kyung,” Kai commented.

“See? See?” Luhan defended.

“Not by looks but by behavior,” Suho again.

Tao was laughing through the conversation-slash-argument between his friends. He had so much fun with them for the past two days he had forgotten about his English workbooks.

Then it hit him. Right! He still has to finish those exercises!

“Ohmy!” Tao slapped his forehead.

“What was it?” Suho asked, turning his head towards Tao.

“Guys, I am so sorry I have to get back to my exercise, okay! Kris is coming this afternoon and I promised to finished them before he got here,” he stood from his chair, leaving his untouched breakfast, “I will be in my room, help yourself with everything okay? Thank you for the surprise I really appreciate it,” Tao hugged each of them briefly before running upstairs to work on his exercises again.

“Should we—“ Baekhyun started, but Luhan cut him.

“No, lets just finish our meal and go home, okay? We did make him rest yesterday, and if he wants to continue to study its up to him,” Luhan said as he picked up his spoon to continue eating.

Suho and Baekhyun exchange glances before eating again and soon the others followed. They left Tao’s house when Chanyeol had finished his third plate.

 

 

It was cloudy outside when Tao’s phone buzzed, Kris’ name flashed on the screen.

“Hello?”

Tao, lets meet at the park, okay? I think a change of scenery would be good,” Kris said over the phone, “It’s a little raining now but I managed to save the gazebo for us,”

“Sure, but Ge—“

“I brought your favorite caramel coffee,” Kris cut him.

“Oh, yes, Ge..”

See you in 10 minutes, okay!”  he heard Kris again before the elder hung up.

Tao sighed. He hadn’t finished his workbook; he still has 3 more exercises to go. He picked up his backpack before heading out. He wished Kris wouldn’t mind.

 

 

“Did you finish the exercise?” Kris asked as Tao sat beside him.

The rain was falling a little harder than when Tao started to walk from his house but it was not windy so the gazebo was dry and safe.

“Erm.. That was what I was trying to say, Ge. I didn’t finish it. My friends came yesterday and we played and I forgot to do the exercises until this morning,” Tao said as he took rolled his earphone, unplugging it from the iPod.

“Your friends?” Kris handed a cup of caramel coffee to Tao.

Tao sniffed the warm cup before answering, “Yes, Baekhyun hyung, Chanyeol, D.O, Kai, and Luhan Ge, and Suho hyung,” he smiled and sipped his cup, “This is good, Ge,” Tao complimented, looking at Kris.

Kris smiled, “Thank you,”

Tao sipped the coffee again before putting it on his side, inhaling before asking, “Actually, Ge. Can I stop doing the exercise? I have done the exam, right?” he’s getting tired of all the past tenses and past progressive and present perfect and all that stuff.

“Yes, but the result was not out yet. And you need to practice too because you would be using the language everyday,” Kris replied, looking at Tao with his face. Are they really going to go through this cause he had been thinking that Tao had known exactly why he had made him did all the exercises all along.

Tao on the other hand, had completely grasped the purpose of him doing all the exercise. But he was so tired and he needed to do something about it. He hadn’t told Kris about this, but he hadn’t actually prepared on going either. He hasn’t asked Mr. Lee to get his suitcase from the closet under the stairs, he hasn’t tried to find an apartment, and he hasn’t done anything for England other than studying and completing the registration requirements. He knew it looked like he was giving up, but was not even though he didn’t really know why he did so.

“Geee~” Tao whined.

“Tao, you should prepare for every possibilities. Passing the exam doesn’t mean you’ll always able to cope with English there, that’s why I asked you to keep doing the exercise,” Kris replied.

“But Gee~” Tao whined again.

Kris felt his patience drained as he stood up, “You know what? I don’t think you really want this. You think this is a game? If so, why would you let me waste my time on you, while you didn’t even make your best effort to go?!”

With Kris's sentence, Tao looked up to see his face. It was that face again. Tao sighed. He wanted to tell Kris that he wanted this so bad, that this matter is also important to him that Kris was the reason why he really had studied day and night for this. English was a piece of cake for Kris, but for Tao, mastering English in just two months was hard. It wasn't impossible, but it was hard. He had never earned great score for English, let alone used it for his daily activities. He didn't even realize that he need the language until Kris popped the idea of them studying together abroad. Why hadn't Kris realize that this was hard on him too? He wanted to go, he really do. Kris was a big part of his life now and he didn’t want to separate from the elder.

“Tao, say something. You know, you should've learned more English at school. You studied in a great school yet you didn't make good use out of it. Our departure day is in three days and you'd only receive your acceptance letter after you submit the score. Which, you haven't obtained. Damn it Tao! English was easy!" Kris kicked the ground under him so hard he'd wake Beelzebub any minute. Didn’t Tao realize that he really wanted to go to England with him? Didn’t he think that Kris didn’t want to think about leaving him because even the thought hurt him?

Tao felt a stung in his eyes. Did Kris really just say that?

He didn't remove his gaze from Kris, but he didn't want to cry in front of him either. Not now, not this time, not again. He opened his mouth to say something, but he knew it would be him being angry and saying nonsense out of emotion. So he shut it back up and stood, then his heel. He decided needed his time alone.

"Yah! Zitao! Where are you going?!! Yah!!" Kris called, but Tao kept on walking.

"Why are you still being the same ungrateful kid you were?! Zitao!" Kris yelled again, but he couldn't even see Tao's back anymore under this now pouring rain.

“Tsk!!" he kicked the ground again. Kris grabbed the forgotten coffee cups, throwing the remaining liquid carelessly on the ground then shoved them in his backpack. He threw his backpack on his shoulder and adjusted its position. With another glare towards Tao's direction, he started to walk back home, not looking back anymore.