Way after it all happened

Happy

A lot of things had happened since the day Tao got discharged from the hospital. He went back home from the hospital with Luhan and Baekhyun, who set up a new cellphone and number for him as he requested. Tao then closed off every way possible for Kris to contact him again, including changing all his online emails and IDs.  Mr. Lee welcomed him back home with open arms, and made him baked apple with cinnamon glazed almonds as he invited the rest of the gang to welcome Tao home too (yes the kitchen turned into a shipwreck again). Suho companied him all the way through his moving on steps, being around whenever the younger needed him, even when he didn’t. Baekhyun acted like there was no Kris before the incident, ever. Luhan was the silent observer, just smiled on Baekhyun’s antics, watching over Tao like a hawk even though he didn’t appear as protective as the other. Kyungsoo was being motherly as usual (still insisting for Tao to eat more and more, extra vegetables on the side), Kai always invited Tao to his performances, while Chanyeol visited almost at least every week to play xbox with him or just to chat. All trying to help Tao with their own ways.

It all got better for everyone in the span of five years. Suho finished his final year in the university and entered internship program at the hospital Tao was admitted in, worked under Dr. Cho’s supervision and also involved in his cancer research. He had passed the bar exam, taking his oath as a doctor and got offered a permanent position to work alongside Dr. Cho, which he accepted. Baekhyun had also graduated from his major. He’s now a regular performer at the national theatre and also a member of a performing company. Every other weekend, Baekhyun also dedicates his time for local youth vocal group as a mentor. His face appeared in the latest edition of dramatic arts performance magazine and was mentioned as one of the rising stars to keep an eye on. He had that particular magazine framed and hung in their apartment living room. Kai had travelled to Europe for he had received a scholarship in Vienna to attend Opera Ballet School for a year. His performance there was praised and he was given recommendation to continue his career there. He gave it up because he missed South Korea and Kyungsoo too much; both were his home and he didn’t want to be parted from them anymore.  He’s currently participating in national ballet society, performing every season while teaching intermediate ballet and hip hop dance at a dance school in between (and he still dances in queue lines for everything). Despite his busy life, Kyungsoo was always by his side, never missing even one performance. Kyungsoo finished a 3 years program cooking school and had opened a café in Hongdae. Of course, his signature kimchi spaghetti was listed as one of the menus. Kai and the rest of the group sometimes helped to waiter on special events like Christmas and Valentine’s Day. Their presence had always increased the number of his customers, and even after the event had wrap up, many of them kept on returning and became regular. This made his café became one of the most visited in the neighborhood and all of them were so proud of it. He also collaborated with Mr. Lee when it comes to desserts (courtesy of a certain Huang Zi Tao), adjusting it to fruits and theme of the season. The gang was a regular customer at his café, although Chanyeol and his big belly visited more often than the rest of them. Chanyeol had finished university too, and now doing an internship in a notable accounting firm in downtown Seoul. The boy made a history in his faculty of getting an A in a class that a lot of people had failed in. The school was trying to make him became one of the assistant professors there and Chanyeol turned it down, even though he had stated he might return when he had decided there was nothing more he could learn outside school. The building where he’s interning now was not so far from where Luhan currently working as a business associate. He was trying to earn as much experience and knowledge as he could get, and that was the reason why he was working with people he admired in the business world. He just aced a project in the company, earning a raise and praises from his superiors. Luhan still likes to sleep a lot (sometimes he even fell asleep on his desk at the office) even though he was also known across the company for always being sharp and detailed at the same time. Luhan and Chanyeol often went out together for lunch given the distance of their workplaces, at the same time making it easier for him to make Chanyeol drive him home when he’s too sleepy to drive.

For Tao, he finally earned his degree. He decided to go to the best university in the country, the same one Luhan, Suho, and Chanyeol went to. Tao took business studies like Luhan did, as the elder had advised. It turned out it was easy for him to follow the study. His father’s blood was in him after all. Tao was also active in wushu club and student senate, and was a part of the faculty team for business simulation competitions (he helped the team won the national title and top 10 internationally). He was very involved, always ready to help different committees for different events across campus; he used college activities as a media to keep his mind occupied, to keep his energy channeled, other than to think about Kris. He did give chance to people around him to help him get back on his feet and he had also been trying to help himself as well. With great effort, countless advices and many thoughts later, he finally put Kris in the back of his mind, together with all the past he couldn’t forget but did not want to remember. He realized that maybe Kris was one of the people that came to his life to give him lesson, even though he still didn’t know what kind of lesson he wanted Kris to be. Tao also realized, that when it comes to Kris, nothing was as easy as black and white, right or wrong. He decided not to decide anything, that he should just simply stop thinking about him. That was what he always sternly told himself to do, although sometimes still, tears escaped his eyes right before he finally fell asleep at night, because somehow the thought of Kris always managed to leak, seep between the tight lock in his head and came back to him, reminding him of how much he had missed the elder. But Tao managed. He gave his best and got through college successfully; again, he had scored the best GPA in his batch and earned summa laude, the highest honor he could ever achieve as an academic.

His parents still have no clue about what had happened with their son, as Tao didn’t mention anything either. When they finally returned from their extended business trip, his father didn’t seem to notice any change in their furniture, thanks to Luhan’s connection of one hell of an art curator, who magically managed to fix all his mother’s vases.

She did notice though, Tao knew it from the look she gave him on the morning of the second day she returned. Tao tried to avoid her as much as he could, because he wouldn’t know how to explain that he was dying a few months before her return. It seemed like she didn’t need explanations either, maybe Tao’s face gave it all already. That night she came to Tao’s bedroom and sat next to him on the bed, not saying anything but pulled Tao into a long warm hug and kissed him all over the face, telling her that she was there for him.

But she had never been and it hurt Tao even more that his mother did not realize that fact even though it was spread open right in front of her nose. Tao did not know what to think, it was now awkward at home now that his parents seemed to try to stay in South Korea as long as possible. Gone are the preserved fragments of waffles and strawberries and the warm morning full of chatter. As much as he wanted to relive those memories, those were particularly the reason he was who he was right now, the particular reason of all the things that had been happening to him and he knew he shouldn’t hate it, but he still couldn’t look at them the same way yet. He was still looking for a job and there was no need for him to leave the house in early mornings and returned late at night. But the strange atmosphere in the house that hangs because of how his relationship with his parents had been and currently was had made the house felt more suffocating than the silence that engulfed before their return. Tao kept on finding thousands of reasons not to stay at home, and when he did, he made sure it was when his parents needed to go to the office.

Tao woke up one night to get some water when he overheard (and finally eavesdropped) his parents talking about him and their relationship.

“Mi, I think Tao needs us to be with him now more than ever. We had never been around much for him,” he heard his mother’s voice from inside the small library, and Tao stopped in his track, leaning against the wall. So his mother did realize.

“What do you mean? He looked the same to me, even though he was hardly at home,” he heard his father’s deep voice.

“Exactly, Mi. And I think it was because he’s trying to avoid us,”

He heard paper shuffles and he knew his father was still working, “I couldn’t find any reason for him to even want to avoid us in the first place. Was he seeking for attention? He’s a grown up, we need to stop cater that kind of behavior,”

“Mi, would you please just stop and listen!” his mother rose her voice and he knew his father was now looking at her in surprise. No one dared to mess with an angry Song Qian, not even his father. He heard a chair being pulled and he knew his father was now sitting next to his mother to calm her down.  

“I was with him the other day, I went into his room while he was sleeping,”

When that happened exactly, Tao didn’t know. He must be deeply asleep; he knew his mother wouldn’t make that up.

“I was sitting on his bed and he moved and… Did you notice that horrible scar on his wrist?” he could recognize his mother’s worried voice anywhere. It’s just so her, to be so worried about everything, and this time Tao did give her a reason to, “I didn’t want to believe it at first, but I know, he did it himself, Mi…”

Tao’s right hand automatically moved to his left wrist, where the said scars were, holding it, closing his eyes. He heard the pause in his father’s breathing and a choked sob of his mother’s, “We did that, Zhou Mi. We did that. It’s us…”

“But why? We have provided him with everything he needed, and everything he could possibly wanted!”

“Have we? Where were we, Zhou Mi? Where were we when he received those awards of being the best in his year? Where were we on his graduation day? We didn’t even call him, we called Lee to know our own son’s condition, because he didn’t want to pick up our calls anymore!” his mother’s voice cracked, “And now he wouldn’t even look at me in the eye… What kind of parents are we?”

He heard a shuffle and a muffled voice from his mother again, most likely because his father was hugging her, “What if something had happened and he was… What if next time we came back and he was no longer here?”

“Qian…”

“All the things in the world could not save him other than us, and if something happened to him, you know I will be blaming myself for the rest of my miserable life,” she continued, “I want to be with him, Mi… I have been fulfilling my duties and dreams as a wife and a career woman, but I knew I am the worst mother out there,”

His father responded with a calming voice, “I understand, I understand, Qian… I didn’t think I have been a good father either… I didn’t know where we got sidetracked, I remembered we promised to be the best parents for Tao, but…” he heard a deep sigh, “This is a reminder that we should do that… We should fulfill what we promised when we welcomed him into the world,”

He heard his mother choked a sob again before his father’s voice was heard, “I am sorry, Qian…”

“We should tell him that, Mi… It was to him that we owe an apology,”

“I know… I don’t think we could do the same thing anymore, Qian. I will hold a stockholder and board meeting as soon as possible and try to find a way for us to stay here in Korea, limit our time abroad, and—“

“You didn’t hear me right, Huang Zhou Mi. I want to be with Zitao. I don’t want to be a part of Huang Industries anymore. I needed to be a mother for my son,”

There was a pause, “This is for the best, and you know that,”

“I do, Qian. I would hold a meeting and take care of all of this, love, please don’t worry, please don’t cry,”

“What if he didn’t want to be our son anymore, Mi? What if we lost him already? He didn’t even talk to us since we got back,”

“Then we would find a way, Qian… We are his parents after all, we would get to him at one point, but we need to take one step at a time… You need to stop worrying, let’s cross the bridge when we have to, don’t get ahead of yourself…”

Tao took it as his cue to leave, not having a clue on what to feel but a bit annoyed that he needed to do something drastic for his parents to finally realize what they needed. He really didn’t need for them to become these normal ideal family like on those detergent ads because they were far from what is common, and Tao had never experience what is normalcy when it comes to family anyway. The family he had known was the family that function by letting him learn on his own and stand up for himself for so long, no one was with him to help him go through anything. There was no one to scold him, nor to praise him. He was used to that even though he was clearly not okay with that either. What he had made to went through was something so lonely, if not traumatizing, and he actually didn’t know if there’s anything left to fix or to pick up anymore.

Silently, he tiptoed back to his room, forgetting about his cup of water. Just before he drifted into sleep, even though his mind said otherwise, he felt a new little hope planted in his heart.

Tao had to admit though; it’s a little weird having them around so much ever since. They were there for breakfast, its suddenly waffles and strawberries weekends again; they were there for dinner and sometimes for tea as well. The musical and play night was now a routine on Fridays. His mother continued to make him special meals, and she literally spent time in the kitchen for it, not asking any of their maids to help. His dad went home early from work and sometimes spent the night talking with him about all the things that happened in the company, and he was actually interested, that’s when he knew they were still a family after all. It was obvious that they were making an effort, and they tried hard for it. It was really nice. Really.

But to say the least, Tao felt insecure.

It was so good all of a sudden and he couldn’t shake the feeling that it could be yanked out of his life mercilessly as easily, because that was exactly what happened before. Kris came into his life with no prior notice and he left without goodbye. After the first month the three of them shared together for the first time in what seemed like forever, Tao knew he was not ready to welcome his parents back in his life. Not because he wasn’t trying enough, and obviously his parents were trying as hard as they could; but somehow, it was like he was trying to learn wushu from the scratch again; he needed little steps, he wasn’t ready to be thrown into a fight.

He wasn’t being a coward, no. Or that’s what he believed in. It’s that he knew he doesn’t need another heartbreak.

Suho said he was being a little paranoid. Tao glared at Suho at the description but the elder still allow him to partly move in with himself and Baekhyun as a way to help him transition, dividing his days between the house and the apartment. His mom was a little disappointed and she didn’t even bother to hide it. But his dad was quite understanding about it and let him go in condition that he doesn’t stay there all the time, he has to come home every two or three days. Tao hugged his dad in agreement. After a few weeks, he felt that it was safe to say that it was one of the best decisions he had made; he found it easier to appreciate their time together this way, even though there were still many things to patch up between the Huangs. And they were still trying their best, until now.

Tao had stopped drinking coffee too, replacing it with hot chocolate and smoothies, or sometimes bubble tea when Luhan is around. This time it was not because of his father, because really, he had been trying to fix their father and son relationship. But now coffee reminds him of the older boy he used to love so dearly. Even the scent brought Kris’ memories back, all the times they spent together cuddling, studying, or just occupied with their own things but still sitting side by side. It reminded him about a lot of things, and since it was getting even harder to avoid it (his dad drinks coffee regularly at home and Suho had started to do so as well since his internship at the hospital demanded him to be alert and ready at least for 20 hours a day) he tried to associate the drink with other things that was not Kris, like how his father always drink his coffee while reading the newspaper and how he always blew it’s surface twice before he sip it, or how usually Suho had to drink his coffee quickly because he actually didn’t have time to drink it at home; he was always in a rush. He tried, but it had not actually succeeded as he always ended up feeling like a masochist as he done so. However, he still tried to remind himself, each time, that now coffee means dad and Suho, not his past.

The one that was trickier to deal with was when the sky turned dark, and rain threatened to pour. That would be one of the days where he would become very anxious he curled up inside his blanket or locked himself in his car. It was raining the day he met Kris. It was raining the day they were fighting. Much like coffee, rain reminds him of Kris.

Suho tried to talk some sense into him about this and Tao understood all the logics, but it seemed like his body went into malfunction every time he heard an approaching thunder. The elder finally came to terms with Tao regarding this in one condition that he should try and not be alone during rain, as he was still cautious about the younger’s safety. He was worried that Tao would hurt himself again. Not that Tao had tried, though. Life really does have been easier for him. Tao was so grateful and he didn’t plan to let this out of his hands.

 

 

 

One day, when he returned to the house for the weekend, Tao’s mother decided to make dimsum, one of Tao’s favorite dishes. His father came home when she finished making it, and they gathered around the dining table to enjoy it while served by Mr. Lee himself.

They started to talk about their days, a new habit they develop since Tao decided to live in two places at once to help them keep up with each other. Tao was on his second bowl of shrimp dumpling when his father finally ask him the question he knew would be coming since the day he could read ‘Huang Industries’ written on various business medias, “Tao, why don’t you join me in the company? I shall give you a good position in which you would be mentored and monitored by my own team, and depending on your progress, you could end up working with me. It would be a good opportunity for you!”

Tao almost choked, “Really, dad? Working with you?”

His father nodded, “Yes. You are taking over eventually anyway, and this is a good time for you to start to actually know our business and market, not that I doubt you at all, I know you would excel it in a blink of an eye; but it’s also a good chance to introduce you to the company as well. Our Management Trainee program was going to start very soon too, and there would be no better time than this. We just recruited a new business partner a couple months ago; I think he’s around your age so you can be good friends. He’s really smart and he had a really good experience background. He was the one that helped us with projects in our Europe branch for the past years. I met him personally when I was there and he was sharp and smart, a lot like you. I also have an eye on one of your friends; I have heard a lot about him and I knew I have to have him in our company. I already had someone to recruit him and he was currently at the last phase of it. You would feel like it’s not a new environment for you at all with so many people your age and this friend of yours. We were so thrilled for all of you and we have designed a new structure for the program. You’ll be asked to be more involved and you know that would mean more of your time would be dedicated for this, but would learn a lot. Things you would not learn if it’s not from Huang Industries,” he said proudly.

“Really? The one that you meant, was it Luhan ge?” Tao perked up, Luhan was the only one beside him in his circle that was so passionate about business world and the only person he knew would be able to establish himself so well in this rather short span of time.

His parents smiled in satisfaction, “Correct,” his mother said.

“I knew it! I knew he would be recognized sooner or later!” Tao said excitedly.

“You have good hunch, son. A true Huang,” his father pointed out, taking a sip of water.

Tao was smiling proudly, and started to think rather seriously. He had thought of this when he knew his future was pretty much set since he was born, and to think that now its coming true and he would be working with people that were more experienced than him and would expect more of him made him anxious again, “Dad, do you think I can do it?”

His father stared at him as if he was crazy, “Of course! I knew you could do it since the day I saw you for the first time, and I am sure of it every time I see your determination in everything you do. All those awards, honors, and achievements you have behind you had just approved of that. You are more than qualified, and you are a Huang by blood. You were born as a leader; a man built for a breakthrough, for something big. Never once I doubt you, and I don’t see any reason for you to,”

Tao smiled at his father’s words. He was relieved to know that that was how his father thought of him, and when his mother reached for his hand, he knew that that was how his mother saw him too. He was glad he was trusted to become their successor.

“Thank you, father, mother,”

“You are welcome, dear,” his mother said, running her thumb on the back of Tao’s hand, smiling happily while dad smiled over a Xiao Long Bao, “This is really good, honey,”

“Thank you,” his mom chuckled from opposite him, smiling wider. From how her eyes sparkled, Tao knew she was also happy because of how their relationship and interaction had improved, even though some work still needed to be done here and there. Tao still could not confess to them of what had actually happened to him in the past and still refused to listen when his parents tried to bring up about the times they were separated. He knew it was bound to happen eventually but he was still not ready and he knew his parents would wait until he is. Tao was grateful of how his parents were trying hard to be so understanding.

Mrs. Huang sipped her tea before continuing, “I think it’s a really good idea, Tao. You have learned a lot of basics and different things in university and now you can implement it in the real world organization. Huang Industries was a really good place to work, Tao. I couldn’t tell you how many fresh graduates applied for our trainee program had been disappointed because they get rejected. Your father only accepts the best of the best,”

“And that perfectly describes you, son,” his father continued, pointing at him with a pork bun in his mouth. Even though it’s a little hard to take him seriously with food on his face, Tao found that he was actually a lot similar to his father especially when it comes to food.

Mr. Lee winked behind Mr. Huang, his perfect white smile graced his wrinkly face. Tao chuckled, “Thank you, dad. I do think that it’s a good idea too,”

“Alright, it’s settled then, let’s start on Monday, shall we?”

Tao nodded, and his mom smiled at the two men in front of him, “Ah, my baby is working now,” she clasped her hand over , “I can’t believe it,”

Tao’s father chuckled, “You should wait when he gets married,”

“Dad!” Tao exclaimed.

“Ah! My baby!” his mom threw her other hand in the air and started to get teary eyed.

“Mom!”

His father laughed, and Mr. Lee joined him, “Oh I cannot believe I let this slip,”

“It’s okay, sir. You have a lot of time to catch up,” Mr. Lee replied, as he put freshly baked brownie in front of them for dessert.

Tao’s eye caught the chocolaty treat and glanced at Mr. Lee, “Mr. Lee?”

Mr. Lee chuckled at Tao’s weakness for dessert, then put the item he was asking for, a bowl of fresh cold whipped cream. Tao squealed, and the three adults laughed at him. He might be 23 now, but desserts would always bring him the joy of a 7 years old.

Mrs. Huang was putting slices of brownies into their dessert plate when she continued, “And you can ask Channie to join you too, dear. I think he’s going to like to work with you and we have a trainee program in Finance Department too. We knew he’s very smart too and I don’t want them to end up in an unhealthy company when he actually could be a good addition for ours. This is a good opportunity for him too, he’ll learn a lot,”

“I think he’d love it,” his father commented, “You will have a lot of fun, Tao,”

Tao nodded as he dug into his brownie happily, reminding himself to call Luhan and Chanyeol after dinner.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-3 months ago-

A tall figure appeared from behind the automatic doors. The person smiled as he saw two familiar figures smiling happily at the sight of him. He was pulled into a tight hug as soon as he reached them.

“You’re finally home!”

“I told you I would come back, mom,”

“You made it sound like you came back right when you finished your study. Who knew that you’ll get that job there and worked there for four years? Five years I’m waiting for my son to come back,”

“I’m here now, mom,”

“Welcome back, son,” the older man tapped him on the back.

“Thank you, dad,”

“Let’s go home,”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kris Wu just turned 26 when he returned to Korea.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dundundun hello again to you! How are you guys doing?

As you noticed I have started to put up the new chapters and I am trying to finish rewriting them as soon as I can. Tell me how you think of them! Do you like them more, or should I stop? I have 8 more chapters to go before I can post the bonus chapter I promised. I hope, if you do like the new chapters, you'd still like to wait a bit more. So many of you had supported my decision and I am so happy for it! Thank you so much you guys are great!

See you on the next chapter, annyeong~~!