Monster-in-law

Tokyo Serendipity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Tokyo Serendipity
Chapter 9: Monster-in-law

 

“I was planning to ask for your permission if I can take her out this, two days?....”

“….We’ll go to Osaka.”

He let out a wicked roaring laughed. “I’m sure they’ll love her.”

‘What the ? Why am I hearing his deafening voice? I bet he’s outside, yet…Is this a dream again?’

“Wow! Thanks! It really means a lot to me. Bye.”

Ellie stood up, irritated. Thinking her doze was disturbed by Ryo. She went outside and saw Ryo smiling with luggage assemble on the living room.

“GOOD MOORNING ELLIE!!!!” He said and flashed a wide smile.

“Thanks…” She said acerbically, scratching her messy hair.

“For what? For the morning greetings? Oh, you’re welcome. I can greet you every day of our entire life.”

“No for waking me up with your earsplitting voice….” She rolled her eyes and went straight to the dining room to drink water. Then she noticed two bags near him. “…Where you going? Business trip?”

“No. On Vacation and it’s not only ‘you’ it’s a ‘we’”

“Oh. That would be nice. Where are we going?”

“To Osaka. My hometown.”

Ellie swallowed hard. There was tension on her face and tone. “Wow… that would be… interesting…”

“Yeah. You thought so too? I’m going to introduce you to my parents.”

She gave him a light chuckled. “I’m sorry Ryo…but... ugh… I have work…remember?...and I think you have one too right?”

“I already talk to Tomo-san; he said you can go on vacation all you want.”

“That’s… fast... Err, how about your work?”

“I’m the boss! I can go on vacations anytime I want to.” He said proudly, his hands were on his waist.

“Yeah whatever. Wait, I’ll need to prepare my stuffs.”

“I already pack it for you.”

“Oh my god. That was sly, so you secretly touched and seen by underwear and stuffs? Oh my god. My boyfriend is a maniac!” She gave Ryo a ‘what the ’ look. He blushed and swallowed hard before answering.

“Hey!! I-I-I didn’t mean to---“

“I was just kidding. Can I eat breakfast and take a bath first, before we go?”

---

Ryo parked outside their house at Osaka. Ellie was trembling while she’s trying to remove the seatbelts from its socket. He noticed that she was shaking. So he’s the one who unplugged it. She gave him a half smile. He gets their bag from the compartment and pushed the door bell. Ellie grasped on Ryo’s arm.

“Every seconds of waiting for someone to get the door, I get the jitters.”

“Why are you so anxious anyway?

“Want to know why? C-cause it-it’s my first time to be introduced to the in-laws. Ugh, in case you f-forgot. Y-you’re my first b-boyfriend.”

“Sorry. But, don’t be. They’re my parents, I’m sure you’re going to like them and vice versa.”

“Every time you remind me that the persons were going to meet today is your parents. It really does make me feel nervous.”

Ding-Dong.

“I assure you. They are harmless.” He looked at her eyes, making her belief that everything he said is real. She smiled at him, still feeling nervous. “Oh, look there’s my mom.”

‘Ellie, you can do this. It’s just Ryo’s parents. They’re not aliens from mars to abduct you.’

“Oh my. Oh my. Otou-san! Our Ryo is here!” Her mom yelled, she was smiling very wide. In her eyes, it’s very obvious that she missed him and she’s longing to hold his son again. Ryo hugged her and she hugged his son back.

“Okaa-san this is…” He said, holding Ellie’s hand.

“Ellie? My, you’re so pretty. I can’t believe you fell in love with our plain looking Ryo.” Ellie’s anxiety was blown like an air. She felt embarrassed too, the way his mom is praising her. She raised her hands, to give her mom a handshake. Instead his mom embraced her and kissed her in the cheeks.

“Okaa-san, am I that plain looking?”

Ellie and his mom crack of laughter. “Of course not, I was just joking. You’re one of the pretty boys’ I’ve ever seen.”

“You’re just saying that, because you’re my mom and I’m your son. Anyway, how did you know that she’s Ellie?”

“Pi-chan and everybody always visit us. I think every twice a month when you’re away. Aren’t they sweet, Ellie? Have you met them already?”

“Yes, they are. I also met them few times already. They are really nice.”

Ryo felt flattered seeing that his mom and Ellie are getting along really good; the way he wished for it and hearing them talking about how great his friends are.

“Why don’t we go inside? Otou-chan might be waiting for us there. Oh, Ellie-chan, it’s Okaa-san not ma’am, okay?”

His mom walks ahead of them. Ryo whisper to her, “Are you still scared?” He chuckled and nudged her lightly. “Told you, my parents would like you.”

“You were right. Your mom is nice. But the question is: how about your father?”

---

“Otou-chan!? Ryo is here.” Her mom shouted again. This time they were at the door. His dad was in the living room reading newspapers.

“My. My. My. One of my stubborn child came back without prior notice.” The old man folded the newspaper and placed it at the top of the coffee table. He stood up and went to hug his son. Just like his wife, he missed his son very much.

“I just want to surprise you guys.”

“You really surprised us.” They released each other and noticed that Ellie was standing there. He was looking at her perplexed. “You even brought another girl, eh?” Ellie snickered.

“Otou-chan… it’s the first time that Ryo brought a girl—and she’s his girlfriend.”

Ellie offered her hand to give his dad a handshake. “Good noon, sir. My name is Elisha Yu.” His dad just looked on her hands and yawned. “I feel sleepy. Wake me up when dinner is ready.” subsequently he started to walk away.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter