Kids for rent.

Tokyo Serendipity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Tokyo Serendipity.

Chapter 14: Kids for rent

 

-FIRST day-

“Ow! Ow!” Ellie yelped as she stood in front of a frying pan with some splashing cooking oil. She was trying to cook some fried eggs for their breakfast with her left hand. She can’t move her right hand but not as much as before the accident.

“Hey. Are you okay?” Ryo asked partly shouting. He was busy, rubbing akachan’s body with a towel inside the bathroom. He went outside to check her; he saw her shaking his left wrist with an awful facial expression. “Maybe… I should do that, instead of you.” He walked closer beside the refrigerator to get an apron. He gets the spatula from her hand.

“Why? Am I that pathetic for you?” She asked crossing her arms together with an eyebrow raise.

“No. I feel pity on the poor eggs and to us; I don’t want to eat burned eggs.” Ryo smirked and started to mix the eggs inside the pan. He held the other side with a pot holder by his left hand; right hand on the spatula.

“I feel so useless this past…” Ellie looked on the wall clock at the living room and continued, “14 days, 7 hours, 27 minutes and 16 seconds. Even at work, I’m just assign at the lobby taking list. Sometimes, Yumi-chan would replace me, because some of the customers’ complains that I type really slow.”

“Of course, you’re handicap. That’s why. Are they stupid?” He asked. Ellie handed him a plate. He lays the newly cooked egg at the plate and Ellie gets it from his hand. She placed it on the dining table and went back closer to the sink to get some kitchen utensils.

“I don’t know. I hope not.” She shrugged. “Even the therapy was crazy. But it hurts as hell. I mean, they’re pressuring my arms to do this and that.”

“Ellie…” He sighed; he puts his two hands on her shoulders, looked straight into her eyes and said, “That’s the reason why they are called, ‘therapy’ okay? Treatment. Cure. Healing. Sometimes, there are things that will hurt you—and it only means or it only wants you to be strong. Like problems, see? People grew stronger after they have struggle a big problem in their life. Even in relationship… moving on is the therapy.”

Knock
Knock

“Wow… That was deep Ryo… was that another reason why you won that award?”

“Oh. Just answer the door, okay?” Ryo said, shaking his hand forward; trying to make Ellie go to the door. She just smiled at him and walks away.

“Good morning Ellie! How are you?” A lady greeted her as she opens the door. Ellie gave her half smile thinking, ‘I know this person. She’s our neighbor. Argh!!! I forgot her name!’ She scratched her eyebrows, still. She can’t remember.

Ryo walked closer to them with a pink hello kitty apron. “Hey. Good morning, Fukuda-san. Sorry, Ellie turned senile every moment after that incident, must be a side of effect of her accident.” Ellie glared at Ryo and pinched his arms.

“It’s okay. By the way, nice apron Nishikido-kun.”

“It’s Ellie favorite.” He shrugged.

“Anyway, I was wondering if you guys could do me a BIG favor.”

“It depends.” Ryo answered seriously.

“Sure anything.” Ellie said happily. Ryo looked at her with eyebrows crumpled.

“Me and my husband were planning to go out of town for five days and we’re thinking if…uh… we can we leave our kids under your supervision.” Mrs. Fukuda said shyly. She was rubbing her hands together. Feeling nervous especially the way Ryo was staring at her.

“Uh… I don’t think it’s---“

“SURE! We’ll be happy to help you guys! I’ll just take a leave on my work. I’m sure Ryo will do the same. Right Ryo?” She jostled Ryo and winked at him.

“Thanks! You guys are our savior!”

“Don’t mention it as long as Ellie is happy.” He shivered. Ellie looped her arm around him and rest on his shoulder. “So when are you guys planning to leave?”

“Later.” She grinned.

“WHAT?!!” Both Ellie and Ryo stunned Mrs. Fukuda by their unison yelling. They we’re both surprised by her sudden statement.

“Why? You don’t want to?” She said sadly with her head tuned downward. “If you don’t feel like to, it’s okay. We can ask--- ”

“No. No. No. We’re good. It’s okay. We’re just a little bit shocked. It’s so unexpected.” Ellie immediately cut her sentence before she could change her mind. Ryo just stood there nodding at every word Ellie says.

“Thanks! You guys are my savior. See you later. Got to teach and discipline the kids first.” She waved her hand, in front of them. Ellie and Ryo just smiled at her and close the door.

“Uh…. I don’t get it. Why did I agree on your decision?” He asked as they walked back to the dining room.

“Because you said, ‘don’t mention it as long as Ellie is happy’.” She mimicked the way he said it earlier. They both laugh at her silly hoax. “Besides, don’t you think it’s a big challenge for us?”

“Challenge? Wha-what do you mean?”

“Responsibility. See, they have three kids and we’re gonna take them in, like ours. Basically, I’m saying. It’s a challenge for us; to see if we are ready to be parents.”

“I guess you’re right. So are you with me?” Ryo offered her hand. She looked at it, and smile.

She took his hand and says, “Of course! We’ll do this together. I wouldn’t let you down. This is a BIG challenge for us. I hope we’ll enjoy this mutually.”

---

Knock
Knock

“It must be them.” Ryo looked at the clock and back to the door. He was holding a map, with a bandana on his hair and still wearing that girly apron.

“But we haven’t finished cleaning!” Ellie hissed as she looked back at him. She was holding a feather duster, trying to sweep the upper platform of the television with a face mask. She walked closer to the door and opened it. She was pleased to see three little cute kids in front of her. She bent down and pinched their cheeks. “So are these the little angels who would stay with us? Aww. They are so adorable.”

“Ah. Ellie, I know you don’t know their names. So this is, my eldest Yuri he’s 6 years old. Aoi he’s 5 years old and my one and only princess, Iku she’s 4 years old. Kids, this is Ellieonee-chan.” The kids hugged her and it really made her happy. “Well kids, I know you knew who that guy is.” Mrs. Fukuda said pointing at Ryo who was looking at them smiling.

“Do-kun!!!” the three kids ran closer to him. Ryo gave them a big group hug. “We missed you! How come you haven’t visited us?”

“Kids. How many times will I tell you, it’s onii-san?” Their mom crossed her arms together.

“I’m sorry. Do-kun was a little bit busy these past few weeks. Don’t worry, well be together for the next five days.”

“Yey!!!” The kids jumped in happiness.

“I think your kid likes Ryo very much.” Ellie said as she looked at them.

“Yeah…. They treat Ryo as their older brother. Oh, Ellie we have to go. In case something happened, you know what number to call. Bye kids!”

“Oka-san, itterashai!” Her kids run back to her and kissed her. She smiled at Ellie and started to walk away.

Ellie closed the door and huffed. “I guess this is tougher than I thought.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter