Survival

The Dream

As it turned out, it wasn't an apartment, as she'd originally thought. It was a small house, in the mountains. Once she saw the expanse of forest around her, Hana felt panic rise in . How was she going to leave? What is there was no path? No compass? She could die in the house if she stayed there, but die in the woods, since she knew nothing of survival.

She wished she paid better attention to Sunhwa when she talked about her hikes up and down mountains. Thinking of the maknae in her group Hana suddenly burst into tears.

How were they doing? Her precious members.

Hyosung, who cared for everyone, as both a sister and a friend.

Jieun, who listened to all of Hana's troubles and tried endlessly to give her confidence.

Sunhwa, who wittily kept everyone's spirits up and always had an opinion on everything.

She didn't realize how much she missed them until now. They'd all fought for this dream and she treasured them all so closely.

When did they wriggle so securely into her heart, nestled there without her noticing?

She always knew that she loved them, but she didn't realize that being away from them made her miss them this much. She the thought of her parents and felt guilt.

Her parents arrived second in her thoughts, as if they were second best. But she loved her parents fiercely. She truly did, but couldn't bear to think of them any longer. Hana furiously wiped her eyes, feeling her heart fill and burst with all her emotions that she put away.

For the first time since she got that strange text, she felt fear encompass her. She was tramlbing as she stood there, frozen in front of the still open door.

She stepped back and went for the kitchen again, tearing it apart for something, anything to get her out of here. She couldn't be here anymore, she opened cupboards, opened drawers, but nothing yielded a way out.

What do I do?

Hana didn't give up however. She went to the bedroom and opened the wardrobe. There was nothing there.

Nothing useful anyhow. She decided that maybe he didn't hide anything. Maybe he kept it in plain sight.

She walked briskly back to the living room, her kidnapper now unconscious.The food was all eaten and the water gone. So he did use the things she  gave him.

She searched his pockets and nearly cried when she felt plastic and metal. She pulled out the object, and lo and behold, there was a phone.

She opened it, seeing the full battery and the full service bars. She dialed the phone and prayed that it worked.

"Hello?" hearing the voice of Sunhwa made Hana cry.

"S-Sunhwa It's unnie." There was silence on the line.

"Unnies come here! It's Hana!" she yelled her voice already thick with tears

Hana held with her free hand and felt her tears fall. She heard scrambling on the other side of the line and Sunhwa saying that Hana was on speaker.

"Where are you?" Sunhwa asked immediately.

"I don't know. I'm in the woods somehwere. A mountain I think."

"How are you talking to us? Did you escape?" Hyosung asked urgently.

"No. He-He's in the other room. Unnie, I.....I stabbed him. I don't think he'll make it." Hana said. It was only a beat of silence.

"Hana it's not your fault. Do you hear me? Do you understand? You're trying to save yourself from an insane person. You did what you had to, to survive." Hyosung continued. Hana only cried harder.

"Say you understand me Hana!"

"I understand." Hana said, gripping the phone harder.

"Are you hurt, unnie?" it was Jieun this time, finally saying something.

"No, just tired, and a little hungry. I'll be fine."

"Can you try to find a path?" Sunhwa asked urgency in her voice.

"Maybe, there wasn't one near the house from what I could tell. There's no map or anything."

"Can't we trace the call?" Jieun asked. There was shuffling for several minutes, in which all the members told Hana how happy they were that she was okay and that she wasn't at fault for what happened.

It was half an hour of Hana being calmed and soothed, but she couldn't bring herself to feel any less guilty. She was still in the doorway, talking with her. Eventually the call was tracked, an just as she suspected, she was in the mountains.

"We'll be there to get you soon, Hana. Just wait for us." Hyosung said.

"Keep something with you to protect yourself." Sunhwa urged. Hana gripped her rolling pin, feeling equal parts ridiculous, and safe. She went back to the living room, one last time

But where was he? The plate and glass were still there but he was not. Cold fear gripped Hana's heart. ". Jieun I don't see him." Hana backed away as she said this as her eyes roved the room.

"Hana." he said quietly. She whirled around, her rolling pin raised like bat, ready for a fight. But she was horrified to see that instead of yelling and beating her, he was crying.

"I just wanted somebody to want me." he sobbed his face entirely wet and his body trembling. She stepped back, unsure of how she was supposed to react in this situation.

What could she say? There was nothing to say to comfort him. She couldn't claim to care for him. At this point it would probably only infuriate him.

"Sometimes, people don't want you." Hana said and felt sorry for herself. How sad was it that she could feel empathy for the man who terrorized her and kidnapped her?

"But it's everday! All the time! I'm alone and the one time I find someone to be mine. They reject me. And she leaves. Then she stabs me in my house." he says walking slowly over to her. Hana swings her pin, but he slaps it away his stride not even faltering. But Hana is not one to simply give up. She brings her knee, up and he takes the blow, but recovers. Of course, he picks now to become unstoppable.

He wraps his arms around her and brings his head to her shoulder.

"I just want someone to want me." he murmured, his breath hitting her neck.

Hana is still and feels herself shaking.

You are not like him. He has damaged lives.

She wanted to act like she didn't know how he felt. But she couldn't ignore it. She'd felt that way too once. Even now, she'd have moments of weakness and think that way still.

It was hard not to feel empathetic.

Hana gripped the rolling pin harder and smashed it to his shoulder, knocking him down. He fell unconscious, finally passing out from his injuries, Hana assumed.

"You and I both, Kang Hyuk-ssi. You and I both." she murmured walking backwards until she hit the wall. She slid down, her mind muddled and her heart churning.

 

Hello my lovelies~~ I've returned to you! I have my last exams tomorrow, and I was in a good mood. Hope you all like it. <3