10 THE PROMISE

Always
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

              Three days has passed since Junho’s death. They had cremate him four days after his death, with Bom wailing and bawling her eyes out during the whole ceremony. Seunghyun was there beside her all the time, holding her hands, embracing her, being a shoulder to cry on for the mourning daughter. Jiyong thought this was how it’s supposed to be. Seunghyun constantly tried to look back, to see Jiyong, to get any kind of reaction from Jiyong, but he got none. The younger male was bowing his head down the whole day. He was avoiding Seunghyun as best as he can, and Seunghyun didn’t like this at all. It was so hard for Seunghyun, he was determined to confront Jiyong about this. About them.

 

               The chance came at the morning after the cremation ceremony. Seunghyun just woke up, feeling exhausted and sleep deprived because he had to stay up to acompany Bom most of the night after Junho’s death, when he found Jiyong in the kitchen making coffee. Alone.

 

               “Good morning, Jiyongie.”

 

               A small yelp was heard as the younger tried to turn around to see who had circled their arms around his waist. When he realized who it was, he struggled to get out of the back hug he was given.

 

               “Seunghyun, let go. What if  anybody sees?”

 

               Ignoring Jiyong, Seunghyun leaned down, burying his face on the crook of Jiyong’s smooth neck. His nose grazing at the skin, inhaling Jiyong’s natural odor that smelled masculin, but soft, a combination of his milk and white musk scented shower cream and his tea tree scented shampoo. Seunghyun remembered those times in Bali where he had drifted to sleep lulled by this smell and woke up smelling this scent first thing in the morning. What had gone wrong?

 

               “Hyunnie~”

 

               “Glad you’re still calling me by the nickname, baby. I missed you so much,” Seunghyun whispered to the younger’s ear. He can feel Jiyong shivering, putting down the mug he was holding and resting his hands atop of his own bigger ones. But not to enjoy the hug. Jiyong tried to pry Seunghyun’s arms off himself.

 

               “Seunghyun, please. We can’t. What if Bom sees? What if our parents—Hyun!” Jiyong gasped when Seunghyun his earlobe. It turns him on, alright.

 

               “You like that, baby? We haven’t done anything since we became official, you know. I know you respect marriage a lot, but.. sometimes.. rules are made to break, right?”

 

               Confused by Seunghyun’s weird act, once again Jiyong tried to wiggle out of Seunghyun’s hold. When Seunghyun suddenly let go of him, Jiyong couldn’t help but whimper at the loss, even though his instinct was to move as far as he could from the older male. That’s when he realized why Seunghyun let go of him.

 

               “Good morning, kids,” Jiyoon yawned, rubbing her still sleepy eyes while Haneul was walking past her with her eyes closed. Jiyong and Seunghyun answered her with an awkward hum, then the younger continue making coffee for his mother and Haneul.

 

               “Seunghyun, where is—“ yawn “—your father?”

 

               Seunghyun blinked as the question. “Wasn’t he.. supposed to sleep with you?”

 

               “Yeah, but he woke up earlier this morning. He told me—oh, thanks, sweetie,” she took the mug Jiyong was offering, patting Jiyong’s hand who smiled in return. “He said he was going to discuss something with Taewan. About your marriage with Bom.”

 

               Seunghyun’s jaw drop. A clang of a spoon falling was heard. If they hear more carefully, they could even hear Jiyong’s already broken heart falling to the floor. 

 

               “Jiyong, dear, are you okay?” Haneul looked at Jiyong worriedly. He saw Jiyong crouched to down, picking up the spoon he just dropped before standing up again and with a disgustingly fake grin waved the spoon to Haneul.

 

               “I’m okay, Imo! Just.. just surprised, haha,” he said, faking a laugh too. “Ahahaha, I’m fine, Umma. Why are you looking at me like that?”

 

               Jiyoon saw the tears b in her son’s eyes. There is something Jiyong’s not telling her. She can see both of the boys are shocked with this news, but Jiyong’s reaction is a bit.. too much?

 

               Jiyoon didn’t have the chance to answer because sudenly laughters of two joyful fathers echoed in the room as Hwaseok and Taewan entered the room with a gleeful expression.

 

               “Ah, there you are,” Haneul greet her husband. Hwaseok walked closer to his wife and plant a kiss to her forehead, just like Taewan who did the same to his wife. “So, how’s the discussion?”

 

               Hwaseok didn’t answer her directly. He looked at Seunghyun, who was still showing a confused expresson on his face. Hwaseok smiled at his son as he let out a long sigh. “My son,” he looked at Seunghyun. “I made a promise to Junho, that night in Jeju, when we saw the love sparkling from both of Bom and your eyes, I made a promise to him that I guarantee the happines Bom deserves. I guarantee it by giving my blessings to your love, to your relationship. And I promised Junho, that I will keep your words to Bom that night before you went back to Bali, when you said you are going to marry her.”

 

               “Appa, I—“

 

               “Junho is gone now,” he stopped for a while, glancing at Jiyoon and Taewan who gave him an encouraging smile to continue his words, while he can feel his wife tightened her hold on his waist to support him. “But as you can see Taewan and Jiyoon is practically her parents now. They have give you and Bom their blessings as well, and we had just talk to the priest to set the date of your marriage.”

 

               “What?? Appa!”

 

               “Both of you will have an engagement party here, in Seoul next week, and the wedding will be held in Bali three months after your engagement day—“

 

               “Wait, Appa, isn’t this too—“

 

               “We thought that the sooner the better. Because Bom needs someone in her life, someone she can hold on to, someone to lean on since her father is not with her anymore. And you, my son, I can see you love her with your heart, just as much as she loves you. I’m sure you will take care of her.”

 

               “But, Appa—“

 

               “Jiyong? Jiyong, son, where are you—Jiyong!”

 

               Seunghyun wasn’t able to continue his protests as he saw Jiyong ran out of the kitchen. He can hear a door slammed close.

 

               “What happened? Why is he—is he going to be okay?”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter