Fire, fire, dress on fire.

Flame (Sequel to The Paranormals)

 

“I heard that this year’s training for the Princess’s guards was tough. How did you guys managed?” I asked them while we trotted down the ridiculously long hallway. I swear I will not stop cursing about how the architectures build this Palace. It’s simply just… Ridiculous.

 

“It was fun, your highness. We all had fun.”

 

“Geez, now that you say it, I’m jealous. Every year you guys go for this fun activity while I suffer. Where’s the fairness?” I complained to them about the annoying fat Mozart piano teachings and also the cooking class. There’s even some sewing, knitting and heck it, dancing classes. One day, when I die, I’ll be killed by all these annoying and old instructors.

 

“Don’t say that, Princess,” Yongguk, the buffiest and steadiest one said. “We’ll be there for you.”

 

“Yeah, your highness,” Daehyun and the rest agreed in unison.

 

I rolled my eyes. “Whatever.”

 

When we reached the King’s Royal Garden, everybody around me except for Daehyun left to stand in their own designated positions. Daehyun led me down the stairs where nearly hundreds of guests stopped whatever they are doing to watch me descend. Etiquette training is being put to use now.

 

Like what my teacher used to say: Descend the stairs one step at the time. Your head must be held high, chin out. Stomach in, buttocks out. Now do until you master this.

 

I did and I mastered it although I’m not sure whether my buttocks actually stick out awkwardly. I hope not. The guests bowed when I finally reached down to the platform and I curtsied back. When the man announced the arrival of my grandfather and the second King of Summer Court, aka Byun Baekhyun, my short limelight span was stolen by them. The private orchestra team started to play some slow music while the two men walked down the stairs.

 

After a whole five minutes of standing there and waiting for these two royal men to finish waving and walking down at the same time, the music finally stopped playing and the King talked.

 

“Welcome, to our annual high tea party.” The guests clapped. “Today, as you all know, not only the ministers and nobles are invited, we, the Faerie Realm, has opened doors for the humans to co-habit with us!”

 

Silence blanketed the place for a minute before it bursted into murmurings. My breath hitched at my throat. I snapped my gaze from my grandfather to Baekhyun whose face turned a shade darker. His shoulders were deflated and he looked… Worried? Sad? I don’t know. His expression was unreadable from where I’m standing. The only thing that I can certain is that Baekhyun didn’t look shock.

 

“If humans can stand a wolf as tall as a giant walking along with them, I will salute them.” I mumbled. Daehyun heard that and chuckled.

 

“I think they will die of shock.” Daehyun said, smiling.
 

“I think so too. I nearly died when Lay’s gorilla hunted me down, so how can they even stand a freaking wolf, no offence, everywhere?” Even though I lived among humans for, basically my entire teenage life, it wasn’t a really pleasant experience for me. I wasn’t happy, I lived in a cave and the humans bullied me. Therefore I didn’t actually develop a really comfortable relationship with them at all.

 

“Don’t worry, I’m sure the King has other plans.” Daehyun reassured me. Whatever my grandfather plans, there is a reason for sure. And I believe this human thing is not going to be so simple. A servant offered me a glass of orange juice and I took it, gulping the entire glass down.

 

“Don’t be too shock, ladies and gentlemen. I know all of you Magic users will have some doubts against my plan but to set a good example, I have invited a couple of human guests to live with us and see how it goes. As you all know our race is declining and there is practically less than a million Magic users left. We need to make sure our bloodline continues on and on.” My grandfather thoroughly explained.

 

“Oh gosh, his plan better be good. I swear if it , I’m leaving.” I crossed my arms, feeling extremely frustrated about this sudden change. What’s with his sudden ‘baby boom’ talk? Must be menopause –

 

“I’ve already discussed this with Baekhyun and he agreed that he should get a second wife who is a human. I’m sure if Baekhyun set a good example, the rest will follow, and as a King, getting multiple wives is permitted. It's a healthy thing!" 

 

My blood froze in my veins and my ears rang. What the flying f –

 

“Princess, I suggest that you remain calm and continue listening to the King.” Daehyun kindly advice me but now the word ‘calm’ is not in my Princess dictionary. Angry and frustrated tears sprang out of my eyes. My gaze darted to Baekhyun who remained still and show no sign of resisting at all.

 

What? Baekhyun agreed to this?

 

My heart thudded so rapidly that I’m going to faint of high blood pressure. Why must it be Beakhyun who gets a second wife? Why can’t it be L.Joe or maybe my grandfather? “Let’s go, Daehyun. It’s too stuffy here.”

 

“But it’ll be disrespectful for the King. Please remain here for awhile, Princess.” Daehyun begged but I was raging with full force anger that it didn’t occur to me that I was acting like a . Taking deep breaths, I willed myself to calm down.

 

“Please welcome our human representative, Miss Kay!” my grandfather announced this Miss Kay’s grand arrival. She came forward and made her way beside Baekhyun. A smile plastered across her fully caked with make-up face. She wore a really short lacey dress and with heels that failed to accentuate her shortness. I’m being mean here but really, she’s a midget.

 

Then I watched her with mouth wide opened as she hooked her arms around Baekhyun. The worst thing was, Baekhyun didn’t reject her.

 

“Oh my gosh, no.” I balled my fists, fire coursing through myself.

 

When my grandfather finally let her address the crowd, she stepped in front like she’d owned the place. Her eyes scanned the crowd and finally landed on mine. A wry smile appeared on her face. “Good afternoon to you, your highness. I hope we’ll get along well.”

 

No effing way.

 

“Good day ladies and gentlemen. Please take good care of me during my stay here. Of course, I do hope that my marriage with Baekhyun would be successful and hope that my unnie will accept me as her sister. We, humans, are not as bad as you all think – ”

 

She didn’t get to finish her sentence when I set her dress on fire.