Preparation

Flame (Sequel to The Paranormals)

 

The next few days passed in a blur. After I sent L off that day, Lay was called into my room and he used his powers to heal me. All the cuts and scars on my body were gone. I should be grateful for his help but regretted it in the end.

 

Because once the scars were gone, the torture begins.

 

In just six days, I was bombarded with all sorts of pre-coronation training. Tutors from all over the Faerie Realm travelled across great distances to guide me on social etiquette, language, attitude, attire and whatever a Queen needs to know. Not only that, I was required to showcase my gifts in front of the important guests from Faerie Realm.

 

Is complaining considered a gift?

 

I guess not.

 

I sat on the couch, rubbing my legs after walking around the hall for hours just by learning how to walk in these killer heels. My back was in the verge of breaking. “I can’t do this anymore, I finally said.” The tutor became furious. She approached me in wide, fearless steps.

 

“This is unforgivable. No lady gives up this easily. Now let’s continue,” she said in her high, shrilly voice. “Now we increase the load on your head from three to four books.” The servants scuttled over with another thick book and she placed it on my head. My shoulders hunched and my neck muscles screamed in pain. “Now, Princess, this is the last stage. If you can do this, you’re good to go.”

 

“Oh gosh…” I muttered under my breath and struggled to keep my breathing stable. I swear if tomorrow I did not turn up for the ceremony, it’ll be this evil tutor’s fault. After another few hours of trying, I finally did it.

 

“Just let me die in peace now,” I crashed onto the couch, throwing my heels away. “My whole body is aching badly.” I groaned. The servants came towards me and one of them knelt down and used a towel to clean my sweat away. The others also fell onto their knees and started massaging my legs.

 

“After tomorrow, you’re going to be the Queen! So bear with it, your highness!”

 

“I have to agree with her, your highness!”

 

“Yes! Me too! Let’s get you changed, shall we? It’s time for your language class.” The servant said. I pulled my hair in frustration.

 

“I really want this to be over.” I sighed yet again.

 

 

**

 

It was decided by some ancestors that I am not allowed to meet my husband three days before the coronation ceremony. The main reason was because of some ‘clearing impure spirits’ thingy. And so because of this ancient tradition, I was separated cruelly from Baekhyun for three days. It’s the start of the third day now and I’m literally dying from the urge to see him, to be in his arms.

 

I need to be up by six a.m and now it’s three. I don’t even know how will I make it in time for the preparation later and I don’t even care. Random memories came flashing in my head; from my father’s tragedy to how I met Baekhyun and the other boys and finally to here, where I am. And later I’m going to be a Queen. I think I managed to catch a few hours of sleep because when I woke up, the sun was already up.

 

“Your Highness?” the doorknob turned. “It’s time for the preparation.”

 

Yes, finally. It’s time.

 

“Come in.”

 

The door swung opened and I heard several footsteps streamed in. “Princess, please wash up before we get started.” This particular servant’s voice was too familiar. I don’t remember having such a gentle-voiced maid…

 

The person pulled my covers away and brushed my hair away from my face. My eyes squinted opened and a blurred figured of my mother appeared. My heart nearly leaped out of my mouth from this early morning shock.

 

“Omma!!!” I have no idea where did I get the strength but I was up and jumped in my mom’s embrace. “Omma! You’re here!”

 

“Yes, my baby girl, I’m here.” She smoothed my tangled hair and whispered soft words into my ear. I missed her voice and her hugs so much.

 

“I miss you so much!” I said, refusing to pull apart. “I should’ve went back to visit you!”

 

“It’s okay, Ji Eun-ah. I’m living perfectly well and your grandfather allowed me to live here in the Palace with you! So we won’t be separated!” The good news made me pull back and look my mom into her eyes.

 

“Are you for real?”

 

“Since when did I lie?”

 

I squealed in glee. “I can’t believe it!!!” All the fatigue left and my energy level and me rose to the highest.

 

“Now, go and wash up, I’ll be helping you with preparations. We don’t want to be late on this important day, don’t we?”

 

 

**

 

I always believe that all mothers have a secret power – and that is a mother’s touch. She made me feel like a real Queen just by dressing me up. No professional make-up artist or designer could have ever done this. My make-up was light, just nice highlighting my bright eyes and sharp nose and my dress – it was light and yet extravagant. My hair was coiled up into a bun, exposing my soft and milky collarbones.

 

Slipping into my skyscraper heels, the servants placed a thick, winter coat over my shoulders and escorted me down to the Grand Hall. “Are you excited?”

 

“Nerve-wrecking. It’s been long since I faced the crowd.” I said, trying to keep my jaws from trembling.

 

“It’s OK. It’s just a ceremony plus a short dinner. After that, everything will resume to normal. I bet it’ll be fun being a Queen. You’ll be a great leader.” My mom assured me.

 

“I hope so.” The Palace was all in celebratory mood. All the maids, servants, butlers and even royal guards were dressed in their formal suits for this occasion. I heard from my secretary that many citizens are outside the main gates of the Palace, wanting to catch a glimpse of their new King and Queen.

 

I must not let them down. Squaring my shoulders, I picked up my pace and went down the hallways, finally stopping in front of the Grand Doors. My mom left me to find her place to sit whereas I stood in front of the closed doors. Two guards were on guard, getting ready to receive instructions to let me in. From here, I could listen to the orchestra playing their music and the guests talking away. It doesn’t sound like a small-scale event though.

 

I calmed my breaths down. “I can do this, I can do this, I can do this.” I chanted.

 

“Of course you can, kitty,” Baekhyun somehow appeared beside me and interlocked my fingers with his.

 

“Oh gosh, will you be even creepier?” I said sarcastically, but felt extremely happy when he appeared.

 

“Hmm, maybe?”

 

I rolled my eyes and scooted closer to him till our shoulders were touching. “Are you sure we can meet now?”

 

“Why not? We’re supposed to go in together.”

 

“Oh…” I said, my mouth making an ‘O’ shape. “That’s awesome.”

 

Baekhyun smiled and he leaned forward. I closed my eyes and anticipated for this kiss but was cut off by the announcer. Curses!

 

“Excuse me, your highnesses, but it’s about time.”

 

Baekhyun gripped my hand tighter and straightened his back. He looked at me. “You ready?”

 

“Actually, no. But with you around, I am.”

 

While the announcer isn’t looking, Baekhyun took the chance and sneak a kiss on my forehead. “Don’t worry, I’ll be here with you. Always.”

 

 


A/N: 

Don't worry, it's not the end yet. 
MUAHAHAHA.