The End

Forever Love

Amber and Hyunah parted from the kiss. Both of them turned to the direction of the voice and they gasped in shock. Amber had never met the man Hyunah mentioned she was going to marry before but it was not hard to tell who this unfamiliar male in expensive clothing was. Lee Joon. Fear climbed up her heart when she spotted a sword, illuminating in the man's hand.

 

With disgusted look, Lee Joon spat on the ground. "Disgusting."

 

Naturally, Amber hid Hyunah behind her. It was her plan to leave the place to prevent anything bad happen to Hyunah. But in this circumstance, it was already too late to do so. She had sworn to herself that she would protect Hyunah, so she would protect her until the end even if it will endanger her own life.

 

"How would your father react if he knows you're having an intimate relationship with a female, Hyunah?" Lee Joon then cackled like it was the most hilarious joke ever.

 

With her fingers clenching tightly onto Amber's clothes, Hyunah shuddered at the thought of it. Knowing how strict her father was, he might have her burnt on stacks of wood in front of all the villagers without hesitation. It was forbidden to have a romantic relationship with a person of the same gender in the first place. Anyone who was caught to cross the line would be sentenced to death by fire. Her father would do anything to keep his reputation as the respected, superior person of the district, even if it had to be sacrificing his own daughter.

 

Lee Joon glared deathly at Amber and hatred filled his heart at once. "And what does she have that I don't?" Lee Joon asked loudly and pointed at Amber's direction. The fact that Hyunah chose a girl who disguised as a man over him, a real man, made him furious. He felt humiliated, insulted and disgraced. "I'm a real man!" He shouted, hitting his chest. "I can give you pleasure in bed million times better than her! What does she have to do so? Fingers?"

 

Hyunah could not bear to hear the words. She knew that Lee Joon was only after her physical and her family's reputation. She cringed inside when she recalled the time when she agreed to marry the man. She was glad that Jaejoong told her everything earlier or else she would regret her decision for the rest of her life.

 

"Hyunah?" Amber was taken aback when Hyunah stepped out from behind and stood in front of her.

 

"You want to know what she has?" Hyunah put her right hand on the left side of her chest. She could feel her heart beating loudly against her chest. The heart that was once beating only for her was finally beating for someone else. "She has my heart."

 

Amber stared the maiden with so much admiration, so much affection. She knew that Hyunah meant each and every word. After all the lies told and all the sufferings she had given her, Hyunah still stood up unconditionally for her. Silently, Amber vowed in her heart. She vowed that she would make up for all the tears Hyunah had shed for her. She would spend the rest of her life to heal the wounds she gave to her. Her hand reached for Hyunah's and held it tightly. She gave the maiden her affectionate smile as Hyunah turned her head to look at her. Amber averted her eyes to look at Lee Joon. "I will not give her up." She held Hyunah's hand tighter.

 

Lee Joon gritted his teeth and let out a scoff. "Fine. Then, I'll send both of you to hell. Together." He drew out his sword and headed straight to Amber's direction.

 

Seeing the danger that was coming, Amber immediately pushed Hyunah out of the way, making the maiden landed on the ground with a thud.

 

Eyes widened, Hyunah held her breath when the edge of the sword was less than two feet away from Amber's right arm. "Amber!"

 

"Argh!" Amber screamed in pain when the sword left a stinging cut on the skin of her arm. Covering her wound with her hand, she quickly dodged the next swing of the sword and headed to the direction of stacked firewood.

 

Lee Joon was swinging his sword as if he had lost his mind. "Amber, look out!" Hyunah warned her lover.

 

Amber hurriedly grabbed the nearest firewood and just in time, she blocked the sword that was aiming for her head. Her heart almost stopped when Lee Joon's sword struck the wood. The sword was so close to her face she could hear it screaming death at her.

 

"You filthy low life!" Lee Joon spat harsh words at her. "You don't even deserve to live! I will kill you!"

 

Lee Joon tried to pull out his sword from the wood but it was stuck. Amber took the chance to kick him hard in the stomach until he fell on his back. Groaning in pain, Lee Joon released his sword and grabbed his aching stomach.

 

Seeing Lee Joon was down, Hyunah hurried to Amber's side to check her wound and her heart cracked at the sight. The cut was deep, blood was mercilessly flowing out from it. "Amber, you're bleeding too much!"

 

Amber flinched in pain. "No time for this now. We have to run." Amber grabbed Hyunah's hand tightly. She spotted her flute on the ground and quickly grabbed it. The two disappeared into the thick forest as they ran for their life.

 


 

The Sun was already hiding part of its shape behind the mountains.

 

Amber and Hyunah kept on running without a sign of stopping. They were heading for the port.

 

Amber was getting nervous. It seemed forever to reach the place. There was no much time left before the sunset and the ship would depart soon. We must reach the port before it's too late.

 

Hyunah did not have any strength left to run. She felt as if she had been running since forever and finally her legs gave up. She tripped on her feet, lost her balance and fell onto the ground.

 

Amber spun around anxiously when she could not feel Hyunah's hand in hers anymore. "Hyunah!" She quickly bent down and grabbed the maiden's shoulders. "We must hurry! We're almost there!" Amber wanted to get them to the port as soon as possible or Lee Joon might find them soon.

 

"I cannot continue." Hyunah shook her head. Her breaths were harsh and uneven. "I cannot run anymore." She grabbed Amber's shoulder and gave her a little push. "Go." She felt her heart broke into pieces when she said the word. After risking her life to be with Amber again, she was the one who told Amber to leave her. Yes, she wanted to be with Amber. It was the only thing she wanted right now. But she would only get in Amber's way if she continued with her slow pace. She knew Lee Joon was still chasing them with rage and it would not be good if he found them. Lee Joon might spare her life but he would not hesitate to hurt or even kill Amber and she did not want that to happen. "Just leave me behind."

 

"What?" Amber was totally taken aback. "No!" After all the sufferings they had been through to be together, she would not Hyunah go. I'd lost her once and I'm not going to lose her again. Amber turned around and bent on her knees. "Get on my back."

 

Hyunah shook her head again. "Please, Amber. Just leave me behind. I don't-"

 

"Get on my back!" Amber raised her voice, cutting the maiden's sentence. Her own strength was depleting but she would not leave Hyunah behind. Not with a man who was chasing them with a sword in his hand. "I'm not going without you, Hyunah. We're going together."

 

Hyunah felt stinging heat behind the back of her eyes. She knew it was not the right time to feel happy but she was. She was really happy for she knew how Amber really felt about her. Following the order, she wrapped her arms around Amber's neck and pressed her body against hers. She closed her eyes tightly as the familiar warmness spread throughout her body. I love you so much, Amber.

 

Amber quickly grabbed Hyunah's legs, held them firmly against her hips and stood up on her feet. She felt Hyunah rested her cheek on her back and love filled her chest swiftly. She swore to heavens she would not forget never any of her feelings for Hyunah. All I want now is to be with you, Hyunah.

 

Crack!

 

Both Amber and Hyunah turned rigid when sound of snapping twigs suddenly echoed behind them.

 

"Found you."

 

Gulping the water in , Amber slowly turned around. Her blood went cold went she saw Lee Joon standing almost twenty feet away from the ground she was standing on, with the same sword that wounded her in his hand. She felt Hyunah stiffened against her back. She took several steps backwards. This is not good.

 

Lee Joon shook his head. "I have enough of this hide-and-"

 

Not letting Lee Joon to finish his sentence, Amber surprised him by started running again with Hyunah on her back. She knew that the possibility for them to escape from Lee Joon this time was as thin as paper. But she was not going to give up. The images of her family waiting for her to come back flashed in her head. She clenched her teeth tightly. I will not give up.

 

"Argh!" Amber screamed as she fell forward and lost her grip on Hyunah's legs, making the maiden fell and rolled few feet away from her. Hyunah. She tried to push her body up using her hands but she felt so weak. She grabbed her left calf when she felt a sharp pain. She spun around only to find Lee Joon standing behind her with his sword stained with fresh red blood.

 

Hyunah groaned in pain from the impact of falling. Her sight was blurry that she had to blink a few times before it was clear again. From the corner of her eyes, Hyunah saw Lee Joon standing dangerously close to Amber who was down on the ground. She knew what was coming next and her heart sunk to her stomach. No. Hyunah gained the remaining strength in her body to get on her feet. She could hardly walk properly but she had to get to Amber before it was too late. Don't kill her.

 

"Let us end this." Lee Joon smirked evilly as if the victory was already his. After this, there would be no more Amber that would come between him and Hyunah. He held the handle of the sword with both of his hands and held it high. "See you in hell." And he the sword down.

 

Amber shut her eyes for she knew the only thing she would see after this was darkness. Come back soon. Her mother's words rang in her head. I'm sorry, mother. I can't keep my promise. Her mind went to Hyunah. Her heart clutched tightly. In the end, we still can't be together. I'm sorry, Hyunah. She waited for the edge of the sword to be buried in her body but it never came. But then she heard a familiar voice, gasping out of pain, and her eyes flew opened. As soon as she opened her eyes, her world crumbled in front of her. Warm tears started to flow from her eyes. She found herself screaming the name of the person she loved so much.

 

"Hyunah!" Amber's voice echoed through the forest.

 

The sword was buried deep in Hyunah's stomach with Lee Joon still holding the handle. Lee Joon's eyes widened and his lips started to quiver. From his expression, he was obviously shocked. His hands were shaking as he quickly pulled out the sword, making Hyunah winced in pain and dropped onto Amber's arms. He threw his bloody sword to the ground and fear surrounded him as he fell backward. "N- No- Why-" He did not even have the strength to run away. How could he ever dare to go back to the household of Kim? Lee Joon could not imagine what sort of wrath he would face if the head of Kim family knew that with his own hand, he had injured the only daughter of the family to a stage near death? So, he stayed there, bottom rooted to the ground, staring at the maiden whom was dressed in bloody dress with wide terrified eyes.

 

"Hyunah!" Amber held the mortally wounded Hyunah in her arms, shaking her frantically. The maiden had her eyes closed with her breath hitched every time she tried to inhale the air. Amber's tears were unstoppable now. "Open your eyes! Don't you die on me!"

 

At the voice of her lover, Hyunah found the strength to weakly open her eyes. Her whole body was aching but it was not comparable to the pain in her heart upon seeing Amber's face soaked in tears. It was the second time she had ever seen Amber's tears. The first time was in the cave where they confessed to each other. But this time, the tears came out sorrowfully as if they were bidding her goodbye. "What a relief." She smiled weakly.

 

"Please stop talking," Amber begged. Her endless tears soaked both of her face and Hyunah's face. Her hand found its way to cover Hyunah's wound as if it would stop the bleeding, only staining her hand with the red fluid. "I should be the one protecting you. Not the other way around. This is not right." Amber shook her head in disbelief.

 

Hyunah's hand found its way to Amber's face and caressed it gently. She looked at Amber lovingly, trying to remember all the features of Amber's face as much as she could before she closed her eyes forever. "For you, I am willing to die over and over again." She was happy that she protected Amber because Amber worth everything to her. "Just promise me one thing." Hyunah's voice was getting weaker. It was getting harder for her to breathe. "Promise me you will find me in the next life and we will be together again." She formed a faint smile. "I want to be with you in every lifetime."

 

Amber cried harder at the request. She did not want that. She wanted to be with Hyunah now, not in the next life. But she knew it was not possible. Hyunah was dying. Her lover was dying in her arms and she could not do anything about it. So, she took Hyunah's hand in hers and held it tightly. "I promise," Amber tearfully promised her.

 

Assured by the promise, Hyunah smiled widely. At that time, she saw flashes of her life with most of them filled with Amber. She was so thankful that Amber had brought colours into her dull life. Amber had shown her that there was more to life. And to have fallen in love with Amber was the best thing that ever happened in her life. "Thank you for everything." She breathed before her lips formed her last smile. "I love you." Her eyelids slowly closed as her heart finally stopped beating.

 

Devastated, Amber pressed the maiden's head against her chest. "I love you too." But she knew Hyunah could not hear her anymore. It was as if her heart was being ripped out from her chest, she felt pain all over her body.

 

Amber bared her neck and screamed loudly until parched. The scream of sadness and grief echoed across the thick forest. Sudden anger built up in her and she threw a death glare at Lee Joon, eyes flaring with nothing but complete anger. "You killed her." Her voice came out coldly.

 

Taken aback, Lee Joon shook his head frantically and waved his hands, denying it. "It's not my fault! She was the one who jumped in! It's not my fault!"

 

Amber carefully laid the lifeless Hyunah onto the ground. She spotted the sword that was still wet blood on the ground. Despite of her injury, Amber quickly stood up, ran to grab the sword and pointed the edge to Lee Joon's throat.

 

Lee Joon took a sharp breath when he felt the sword's edge touched his skin, sweats forming on his forehead. "Wh- What are you doing?"

 

"I am going to send you to hell," Amber replied coldly though her face was still wet with tears. She saw the same fear she had before flickered in Lee Joon's eyes. She was never a killer but there was no way she could let Lee Joon escape without punishment now. Not when he had mercilessly took Hyunah away from her.

 

"By the way, I'm Hyunah! Kim Hyunah!"

 

"I want to learn things from you."

 

"I have an awesome teacher."

  

"At this moment, I want you to know that I'm deeply in love with you. And I will not regret it."

 

"I don't want to be protected. All I wanted is to be with you."

 

"Promise me you will find me in the next life and we'll be together again."

 

She smiled bitterly as flashes of her memories of Hyunah flooded her head. From the first moment they met eyes to Hyunah's last breath. Her grip on the handle tightened, knuckles turning white. Why could they not keep making memories together for a long time? Why must it end now?

 

Her eyes returned to meet Lee Joon's eyes. She could see tears formed in his eyes, lips begging for his life. But all she could feel now was anger and sadness. In the end, she was no different from Lee Joon. Amber cracked a wry smile. "See you in hell." 

 

The sharp edge of the sword cut the veins in the neck of its own owner. Lee Joon's lifeless body dropped to the ground, staining the earth with crimson blood.

 

With the sword still in her hand, Amber went back to where Hyunah's body lied. Dropping the sword on the ground, she kneeled down and caressed the face she loved so much with the back of her hand. Hyunah looked so peaceful with her eyes tightly shut as if she was sleeping. But Amber knew that this time Hyunah would never wake up again. Amber leaned down and put her lips on Hyunah's lips for the last time. I will be there soon. Wait for me.

 

Amber took out her flute out of her clothes, tainting the flute with the blood on her hand. She looked at the flute and cracked a wry smile. Her decision to bring back her flute changed everything.

 

If only she did not decide to get her flute back, she would not have met Hyunah again, the maiden would not be killed and she would not have to kill Lee Joon. If only she listened to her mother, they would already leave the village to a new place and start a new life. If only she could leave her love behind, Hyunah would still be alive. It was all because of love. Love had brought Hyunah in her life yet it was also the thing that took Hyunah away from her. Why did love have to be so heavenly beautiful but unbearably painful at the same time?

 

Closing her eyes, she put her lips on her flute and started to play a familiar song. The song which was inspired by Hyunah, made for Hyunah and Hyunah only. Sudden wind blew, spreading the melody throughout the forest. Amber regretted each second for she did not even had the chance to play it in front of the maiden she loved so much when she was still alive and now she was playing it to a lifeless Hyunah as a farewell song. It made Amber terribly sad that tears started to pour endlessly once more from her eyes. Not able to finish to song, she dropped the flute to the ground as she choked on her tears.

 

Amber shifted her eyes to the place where the sword was lying. Her fingers found their way to hold the handle, gripping it tightly. Without second thought, Amber the sword deeply into her stomach, making her cry out of excruciating pain before drawing it out again and tossed the sword away. Red, thick fluid gushed out from her wound. She grabbed her mortal wound. The pain was unbearable. It was as if her body was going to split into half. To think that Hyunah was in so much pain before she died made Amber even sad. 

 

Amber carefully lied down beside the lifeless body of Hyunah. She went forward to kiss the maiden's forehead and intertwined their fingers together. "My love for you is forever. I will find you and we will be together again."

 

Staring at the orange coloured sky, Amber felt her life slipping away from her. She suddenly thought of her family again and guilt came rushing to her weak beating heart. I'm sorry, mother. I couldn't make it on time. Her eyelids were getting heavier and her heart was beating slower and weaker by each second. Finally, the beat stopped and darkness welcomed her like an old friend.

 


 

"What are you doing? My daughter is not back yet." Clutching her chest tightly, the old lady stood up and asked frantically when she saw the captain of the boat untying the rope of the boat from the port.

 

"Your daughter told me to leave the port if she is not back half an hour after the sunset. It is time. We will leave now." The man signalled his men to start rowing and the boat slowly rowed away from the port.

 

"No! You cannot do this! Stop the boat!" The old lady retorted but the captain only shook his head and went to the bow of the boat. Andrew, Aman and Amanda were already in tears, crying out their big sister's name.

 

The boat was now far away from the port. The old lady slumped to her feet, cheeks glistening with warm tears. The twitching on her left eye was no longer there. She knew it. She knew that she would never see her eldest daughter again.

 

 

 


 

So, that's the last chapter of Forever Love.

Thank you so much for the support.

I'll see you again...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

...in the epilogue.