The Last Escape

Forever Love

 

Hyunah ran, ran and ran. She did not spare a care to her dirtied torn dress. She felt parched though she could not feel her legs anymore. Even so, she kept on running. She was running to the most important person in her life. The only name she had ever loved so much was repeating itself in her head. Amber. Amber. Amber!

 

It was back in the Kim's household earlier.

 

Jihyun stepped in front of the door. "I am afraid that I could not let you in, my lord."

 

"Out of my way."Jaejoong gave her a threatening glance.

 

"Young lord, the Lady of the house has forbidden anyone to enter the chamber of Miss Hyunah. I think that includes-"

 

"I just wanted to see my little sister," he blurted with his head hung down.

 

Jihyun's sentence hung in the air. Her eyes widened at the rare situation. It was her first to ever hear Kim Jaejoong to speak that way. So tender yet so sorrowful. And the expression on his face told Jihyun that he was sincere with his words. He wanted to see his sister.

 

"I just wanted to see her. Is that too much?" Jaejoong gripped his fist. He had never felt so weak before. Not even when he was separated from his former lover. Not even when he saw her lover married off to another man. But this time, he felt so helpless. He had never done anything right for his sister before. Since they were kids, he had always told Hyunah the same sentence over and over again. Listen to our parents because they are always right. Now, he himself was not sure whether he was right anymore. All the misery his sister had, was it because of what he told her back then?

 

"I have no choice then." Jihyun stepped aside. Her lips curved into a thin comforting smile. "Please do see your sister, my lord."

 

Jaejoong lifted his head and looked at the smiling girl. Their eyes made contact. He could swear that he could hear her eyes talked to him as if telling him that she understood. He was relieved. He took a step towards to door. "Thank you, Jihyun." He meant every word. He then pushed the wooden door and went inside the chamber.

 

Jihyun had her contented smile on. She went against the order of the Undying Beauty and she knew that she will face the consequences. But surprisingly, she did not feel guilty at all. She did not know what the conversation between the siblings would be like. But she felt that she had done the right thing. With that feeling in her heart, she left the two alone.

 

Jaejoong was anxious. His eyes landed of Hyunah's back. She was sitting on the chair, staring outside the locked wooden window. Even staring at her back made Jaejoong felt guilty. His sister who was once a bright person like the Sun ended up to be a person with dark clouds above her head.

 

"Hyunah…"

 

Hyunah slowly turned to look at the owner of the voice. She knew that voice too well. And she knew it was the same voice who had threatened Amber and her family. How did she know? It had been like that for ages. Kim Jaejoong would always be the one cunningly solved the threats that will affect the Kim family. Before the threats could act, they were already vanished in the hands of Kim Jaejoong. With power and money, her family had manipulated the people for years. Sometimes she pitied her oldest brother. Sometimes she hated him. But now, she did not know what to feel. What should she feel in this situation? She looked outside the window again. "Did you come to see if I had suffered enough?"

 

Jaejoong stiffened. Her words sounded so cold that they pierced his own cold heart. Words did hurt. And her cold attitude. Was he the one responsible for that? He did not know. He took a short breath. "Are you doing fine?"

 

Hyunah almost laughed at the question. She let out a scoff. After all this, how could she be fine? How could she pretend that nothing had happened? "Do I look fine to you?"

 

It was a mental slap to Jaejoong. She was so cold. So cold that it scared him. He knew she was not fine. No. She was devastated. The devastation had wiped out all the cheeriness in herself. And he knew it was part of his fault that she became like this. And he would change it back. Even though he knew that what he was going to do was wrong, he would still do it. It would be the only right thing he could do for his sister. "I came to tell you something."

 

Hyunah's ear perked at the reply. To tell me something? She weakly smiled. Something to make me suffer even more?

 

"That person is leaving."

 

And it thundered inside Hyunah's body. "Wh-What?" Hyunah responsively turned her face to her eldest brother.

 

Jaejoong heaved a deep sigh. "I said, that person is leaving."

 

Hyunah's mouth slightly opened. She heard that right then. That person is leaving? The sentence replayed in her mind a few times. That person? "What are you talking-"

 

The man sighed again, a bit loud this time."That girl is leaving, Hyunah. Amber is leaving this place with her family."

 

And the maiden's eyes widened to their limits. Her heart was thumping so hard that she could hear each of her heartbeat in her ears. Her oldest brother used 'that girl' as he referred to Amber. The hair at the back of her neck stood. She had never felt so frightened before. For Jaejoong to use 'that girl', it had only one reason. "You- you knew?"

 

"Unfortunately," he paused. Jaejoong saw the fear reflected in his sister's eyes. It was too familiar. He saw the same fear in Amber's eyes. And it was the same fear he felt some time ago. "I do."

 

At the reply, Hyunah felt as if her soul had fallen inside a bottomless pit. He knows about the truth about Amber. The secret was unveiled. Suddenly, another reality hit her as she recalled what Jaejoong had said just now. Amber is leaving this place. "And how did you know she is leaving?"

 

The man swiftly took out three pieces of folded paper from his long sleeve. "I received this earlier." He unfolded the letter, revealing writings with black ink on the paper. "And I think you should know what the content is." He took a glance at his sister before he read the words out.

 

To the man who had threatened my family, I do not know why I am writing this to you. My anger towards you because of your act to my family still has to subside. It may take days, weeks, months or even years for the fear in the eyes of my family members to disappear. I might be able to forgive, but to forget, let time decides that. However, after our encounter the other day, I begun to understand the reason of you action. It was all to protect the reputation of the Kim family. And I-

 

"Stop! No more!" The tears that did not come out for days now mercilessly soaked the young maiden's cheeks again. "Why are you telling me this? Why do you keep hurting me? Why?!" She cried so hard that it made her hard to breathe. Why did Amber write the letter if it was only going to torture her more?

 

Jaejoong could not bear the pain of seeing his sister's tears but she needed to listen to the most important part of the letter. He continued.

 

And I want to protect Hyunah's reputation as well. I want to protect her.

 

Though the tears kept on flowing, Hyunah froze at the sentences. I want to protect her. She wants to protect me? What for? Why? She doesn't even-

 

I had hurt her with the meanest lie to protect her. I told her that I did not love her. And never would I forgive myself for that. Because I swear to the Creator of the Heaven and Earth, she is the only person I had ever given my heart to.

 

Her tears fell like heavy raindrops, soaking her dress. They were no longer tears of sadness. She was relieved. Greatly relieved. Amber does love me. She told lies just to protect me. She recalled the day when they last met. Hyunah could not imagine the pain that Amber felt when she told the lies. Lying just to protect the one you loved would hurt twice, even thrice than the person who was lied to. She loves me. And the happiest smile appeared on her face despite of all the tears. She was smiling wide that her cheeks started to hurt.

 

As you told me, I will be strong. I will be strong for my family. Therefore, I am leaving this place with my family after the Sun sets down today. We will leave and forget this place with hope that we could start a new life. I hope the best for the Kim family. I hope Hyunah would be happy with the man she chose to marry. Maybe in another life, she and I could be together. And I am asking you the first and last favour, please keep this letter away from Hyunah. I would be grateful if you do so. I wish you the best.

 

"Farewell. Amber." Jaejoong finished reading the letter. He felt as if a huge rock was lifted from his shoulder. I'm sorry, Amber. I couldn't do you the favour. I can't live on with the guilt in my heart.

 

Abruptly, Hyunah stood up from her seat and wiped off her tears using the back of her hand.

 

The man noticed the sudden act of his sister. His eyes dilated at the sight. His sister was not longer crying. She was smiling. She was smiling so happily that people who did not know what kind of incidents she had been through would say that she was someone that never knew what sadness was.

 

Hyunah was still smiling. The love that she thought had lost days ago came to sweep her heart once more. I love Amber. I only want her and no one else. I don't care what people would say about me. I can't spend the rest of my life with a person that I can never love. Hyunah's heart warmed at the thought of Amber. I want you to be my reason of living. I want you as my lover, Hyunah. Would you be mine and only mine? Amber's proposal from back then rang inside Hyunah's head. Her smile faded. "I'm not marrying Lee Joon," she suddenly decided with determination. It was her final decision. "I'm going to be with Amber and no one can stop me. Not even you."

 

Jaejoong shut his eyes and let out a chuckle. He knew she would say that. He was waiting for her to say that. He turned around and walked towards the chamber's entrance. His hand reached for the handles of the wooden door and pulled them. The air rushed into the chamber. He turned back to look at his sister and his lips curved a thin smile. "Then, what are you waiting for?"

 

The maiden was really taken aback. She thought that Jaejoong would stop her. But she did not fall  for his words easily. She could not trust him that fast.

 

Jaejoong saw her hesitation. He stepped outside the chamber. "There's still time until the Sun settles down." As he said the sentence, he offered his right hand to her sister and smiled genuinely. He was the one who told Amber to let go of Hyunah. Now, he was the one who was going to help Hyunah to get to Amber. The irony.

 

Hyunah saw through the sincerity of her eldest brother and all her hesitation was washed away. This Kim Jaejoong was the warm Kim Jaejoong she knew from her childhood. She smiled back at the man and quickly took steps towards him. She took his right hand with her left hand. "Let's go." And they quickly left the place, heading for the back entrance.

 

As soon as they opened the door of the back entrance, they were greeted with familiar faces. Jaejoong and Hyunah froze. Their father and the groom-to-be, Lee Joon, were standing in front of them. Behind them were a number of soldiers equipped with weapons.

 

The old man's chest went up and down. "Insolent children."

 

The two siblings held hands tighter. Their father was furious.

 

The old man looked straight to Jaejoong. "I did not raise you up to betray me." He then glared at his only daughter. She resembled her mother so much that it pained the old man's heart. "And I did not raise you up to humiliate the family." He heaved a heavy breath again. "It was a luck that Lee Joon told me instantly about this."

 

The two siblings averted their eyes to Lee Joon. He was wearing a devious smirk. It was evident that Lee Joon was the one who told their father about their escaping plan. Since the engagement was official, Lee Joon had been allowed to roam around the Kim's resident freely and he might have overheard their conversation awhile ago. Gripping his left fist tightly, Jaejoong felt the rage inside him built. "Lee Joon, you-"

 

"Insolence! I am talking here!" The head of Kim family shouted at the two. "Neither of you would be alive once you step outside the door."

 

Jaejoong turned to look at Hyunah as he felt her squeezing his hand. He never did anything right for her. This would be the only right thing he could do to compensate all the tears she had for days. He squeezed her hand back. "Ready?"

 

Hyunah bit her lower lip. She knew what he meant. I am sorry, Father. She nodded at him. "Ready."

 

Without hesitation, they stepped outside the door together and stood almost fifteen feet away from their father and his men.

 

The head of Kim family felt as if his world collapsed in front of his eyes. His own flesh and blood rebelled against his words. It made him gritted his teeth so hard. "Impudent! Both of you will regret this in hell!"

 

Jaejoong smirked at his father. "The only thing I ever regretted is to listen to you blindly, Father." He suddenly thought of his former lover. The girl shone through his dark world like sunshine. She was the only person who brought happiness to his life. Though it was short, it was the happiest days in Jaejoong's life. They were days when he could smile and laugh like a real person. And Jaejoong wanted Hyunah to be happy not only for days but for a long time. "I would not let the thing that happened to me happens to my sister. I would not let you do that." He turned to face Hyunah. "When I shout run, you run, understood?" He whispered the words to her. He then turned to look his father.

 

Hyunah could not say anything to her eldest brother. She was so overwhelmed. Why did Jaejoong go so far for her? And what did he mean he would not let the thing that happened to him happened to her? Yet, she could not ask him anything right now.

 

The old man's anger reached its maximum. His children had rebelled against him. "I disown both of you! I have no son named Kim Jaejoong or a daughter named Kim Hyunah!"

 

Jaejoong's grip on Hyunah's hand went loose. "Run!"Jaejoong shouted loudly. And be happy.

 

At that one word, Hyunah turned around and ran as fast as she could. Thank you so much, my dear brother. I owe you so much in this life.

 

The head of Kim family and Lee Joon were in shock. The old man raised his right hand. "Chase her! Bring her home alive!" The soldiers started to move upon the order.

 

"Over my dead body!" Jaejoong shouted at the soldiers. He drew his sword out from its sheath. Suddenly, the days he had with his former lover flashed before his eyes. Why didn't I fight for you? You mean so much for me. But why didn't I fight for you?

 

"Kim Jaejoong!" The old man shrieked with anger.

 

Swinging his sword, Jaejoong ran towards the soldiers. Maybe in another life, she and I could be together. He recalled the content of Amber's letter. He cracked a sad smile. Maybe in another life, you and I could be together. And at that time, I will fight for you.

 

Hyunah ran, ran and ran. Inside her heart, she hoped that Jaejoong would be safe though it was most likely impossible. Her legs kept bringing her forward despite the burning ache on them. The Sun would set in less than ten minutes. I'm coming, Amber! Wait for me!