The Reunion

Forever Love

Amber was leading her mother and her siblings through the forest. Each of them was carrying their own clothed package. They were on their way to the port that was rarely used by people. She thought it was the best to leave as discrete as possible so it would take time for people to realize that they were gone from the place.

 

Amber stopped walking and spun around when she felt a tug on her clothes, only to see her youngest sibling holding onto the hem of her clothes. Her cheeks were all red because of the walking. Amber smiled at her. "What is it, Amanda?"

 

Amanda blinked her eyes a few times and pouted adorably at her big sister. "Are we really going to leave this place?"

 

The simple question made Amber's eyes went large. The look on her sister's face told her that the little young girl did not want to leave. Guilt climbed up her heart. Amber met eyes with her mother but the old lady looked away from her sadly. I'm sorry, mother. The words were unsaid. She curved a smile at her cute little sister again and patted her head. "Yes."

 

Aman quickly walked toward them. "But why? Aren't we happy here?" The boy frowned.

 

Again, Amber was taken aback. Her hand reached for the boy's head and ruffled his hair affectionately. "Yes, we are." And I don't want your happiness to be destroyed because of me. "But we'll be happier in the new place." She doubted her own words.

 

"But it will not be the same, right?" Andrew suddenly spoke out as he came closer. Amber looked at him. "We can't see our friends anymore. Big sister can't see Miss Hyunah anymore." His voice faded at the end.

 

Amber tried to keep her face as calm as possible when Andrew mentioned the maiden's name. Yes, I can't see her anymore. Pain filled her heart at thought. "Hey." Putting down her clothed package, she gathered the three kids together in a little circle. "Listen to me. This place is nice, I know. But the new place will be as nice as here too. Or maybe even better. We'll make new friends. Don't worry, alright?" She tried to console their sadness of leaving the place.

 

The three kids lowered their heads but still nodded at their big sister's words. Amber curved a bitter smile. Explaining the real thing to them would only make them even confused. Maybe one day, when they are old enough to understand, she would tell the truth to them. One day. "Good kids. Now, let's get going. It won't be far now."

 

 


 

 

They finally reached the port. Amber talked to the captain of the large boat while her mother was helping her siblings to get on the boat.

 

After a little talk with the man, Amber walked toward the boat. "We'll leave as soon as the Sun settles down."

 

Her mother frowned at the words. "Would it not be dangerous to travel over the water in the dark?" She naturally hugged her youngest child. She was scared for her children.

 

Amber understood her mother's fear. "The man said there'll be lanterns lighted up along the riverside so it will not be dark. The captain said they have their own lanterns as well. So no need to worry, mother."

 

She carefully stepped into the boat. Andrew gave her clothed package at her and Amber ruffled his hair as a thank you. She sat down beside her mother and took a look at her package. She had packed everything she needed in the clothed package. It was time for a new place, a new environment, a new beginning. She sighed and held her package close. Suddenly, her eyebrows furrowed together as she felt something was off. Instantly, she took a double look on her clothed package and her eyes widened in shock. Something was missing from her package. No way. She hastily opened it and checked through the folded clothes. It's not here. She anxiously looked at her mother. "Where is it?"

 

It was her flute that was missing. It was the flute that Hyunah gave her back then when the only relationship they had was as a teacher and a student. She still remembered how bright Hyunah was smiling when the maiden handed the newly bought flute to her. I don't know anything else that can represent you better than this. Thank you for everything, my teacher. Amber could remember each word that came out from that day. She had never felt so appreciated before. And she was immediately attached to the flute ever since. She would bring it wherever she went because she felt as if a part Hyunah was there with her. "Where's my flute?"

 

Her mother quickly looked away from her with guilt in her eyes and clasped her hands together nervously. "I-I don't know."

 

"Mother." Amber could tell that she was not telling the truth. She swore that she had packed her flute along. It was even the first thing she packed. "Please tell me where it is, mother."

 

Her mother heaved a guilty sigh. Lying had never been her best trait. "I-I left it at the house," she confessed without looking at her eldest daughter.

 

Amber stood up abruptly. "At the house?" She was confused. "But why?"

 

Her mother looked at her with teary eyes. "Because it will only bring you pain! It will only bring you pain, Amber." Her mother's voice faded.

 

"Mother."

 

A drop of tear stained the old lady's cheek. "I cannot bear to see your sad face every time you look at the flute. I know it reminds you of her. I don't want to you to remember her anymore." The lady shook her head sadly.

 

Amber felt her legs went weak when she saw her mother cried. She doesn't want me to remember her? Her eyes dilated at the realization. Her heart was thumping loud inside. "You know?"

 

The old lady wiped her tears off using the back of her hand. "Yes, I know! That's why I left your flute. Forget her, Amber. Please," She pleaded.

 

Amber quickly sat down again and palmed her face. Even her mother knew it. There was no use to hide it anymore. She uncovered her face. "But you know it's the only thing that I have of her." Leaving the flute behind was like leaving behind all the feelings she had ever felt for Hyunah. She was going to leave the place but not her feelings, not her love. And the flute was the only physical thing that will remind her that she had once had her happy days with a maiden named Kim Hyunah. She stood up again. "I'm going to get it back."

 

The old lady shook her head in disbelief. "No, Amber. Please don't."

 

But nothing was going to change her decision. She would bring back the flute. Amber took her mother's hand and held it tightly. "I'll get it back and be back here in no time, mother." She gave the old lady her sincerest smile.

 

"Amber." The lady saw the determination in Amber's eyes. She wanted to force her not to go but the old lady knew how important the flute was to her. She could not possibly say no after seeing her eldest daughter smiling so genuinely even though she was hurting inside. A mother could never bear to see her child being in pain. She heaved a defeated sigh. "Go and come back soon." She curved a thin smile.

 

At her words, Amber wrapped her arms around her mother's petite frame. "Thank you, mother. I love you." Her siblings came to join them and they were all hugging each other warmly. She looked at her siblings. "And I love all of you, too."

 

Amber stepped out of the boat, started walking before she stopped again when she ran into the captain again who was in his way to the boat.

 

Her mother looked at them with curiosity when Amber started talking to the captain and the man nodded in understanding. "I wonder what they are talking about." Her left eye twitched once. Twice. Suddenly, the old lady had a bad feeling. A twitching left eye meant something bad will happen. She looked at the figure of her eldest daughter. Worries engulfed her. She silently prayed in her heart. Oh, Heaven, please protect my daughter. Please don't let anything bad happen to her.

 

"Thank you." Amber smiled and patted the man in the shoulder. She spun around to look at her mother and sibling again. She waved her hand at them. "I'll be back soon!" She started to run through the path they traveled earlier.

 

The kids waved back at their big sister until her silhouette was no longer visible but the old lady remained rigid. Please come back soon. She could only smile bitterly.

 

 


 

 

Amber did not know why her heart was beating so fast all of the sudden. As she travelled through the woods, the things that happened recently were making flashbacks in her head. It was like the memories were being replayed. She remembered when she made her wish to the full moon in that cold night sky. Please make me grow stronger. She remembered the days when she first locked eyes with Kim Hyunah without knowing how important the maiden would be to her. Did all the things happen because of that one wish? Did the moon really listen to her wish? Did the moon sent Hyunah to make her grow stronger? She did not know. But there was one thing she was sure of. She never regretted the day when she met Hyunah.

 

From a distance, she saw the silhouette of her house and her steps went fast. She barged into the house and started searching for her flute. She went into her room. She looked in every corner but the flute was nowhere to be seen. Where is it? She went to search it in her siblings' room. To her disappointment, it was not there. Amber grabbed her hair in frustration. Why didn't I ask mother earlier where did she put it? She tried to calm herself. There was one place left. Her mother's room.

 

Amber started to search for the flute in her mother's room. She knew she did not have much time until the sunset. She quickly opened her mother closet. They were still some clothes left in the closet. They were her father's clothes, folded neatly. Amber knew that her mother treasured the only things left of her father. She took one of her father's clothes and caressed it with affection. How she missed her kind father whose smiles never faltered even in his sick days. But why did her mother left these clothes behind if they mean so much to her? It will only bring you pain. Amber smiled bitterly when she knew the answer to her own question. Because they remind you of father. That's why you left them. But she was not her mother. She needed the thing that will remind her of Hyunah until the day her feelings would fade over time. She put the clothes back to its place. Goodbye, father.

 

Her eyes spotted something long and slender wrapped in cloth beside her father's clothes. Her heart thumped loudly as she reached for it. When her hand held the thing, she knew it was the thing she was looking for. She took it and unwrapped the cloth which covering it. Her lips formed a smile, showing her upper teeth. Finally, she found it. It was such a relief. The flute would be the only item of Hyunah that she would hold onto. Even though she could not hold onto her, at least she could hold onto the memories they created together.

 

"Amber!"

 

Amber snapped out of her thought. Her heart was beating so loud again, she could feel the beats in her ears. Her chest went up and down quickly. Impossible. Was she hearing things? Did she think of Hyunah that strongly to be hearing the maiden's voice calling her name? It couldn't possibly...

 

"Amber!"

 

At the second shout, Amber knew that it was not her imagination. Gripping the flute tightly in her hand, she rushed out from her mother's room to the front door. Her breath hitched when she saw a familiar figure was running to her direction from afar. Her footsteps grew heavy as she stepped out from the house as if her feet were chained to burdens. The flute dropped to the ground. Hyunah.

 

Hyunah wanted to cry over her aching legs. She had been running without stop for she feared she would not make it on time. But the pain disappeared without trace as soon as her eyes recognized the person who was standing in front of the small wooden house. The person she loved so much. Amber.

 

Hyunah flung her arms around Amber's neck as soon as she reached the ground where Amber was standing on. She could not feel her legs anymore because of the painful running and she was having hard time to catch her breaths. The only thing she felt was how amazing it was to be able to hold Amber in her arms again. There were so many things she wanted to say to Amber but she did not have the strength to do so. I made it on time. She hasn't leave. Hyunah was extremely relieved.

 

Amber froze as she could not do anything. Having the girl she loved severely hugging her again after all the lies she told her was unimaginable. She was certain that she had told the maiden the cruelest lie she could ever think off. I don't love you, Kim Hyunah! The scene replayed in her head. And she thought she would never see Hyunah again after the maiden left with her face soaked in tears. It was almost impossible for her to believe that Hyunah, in flesh, was here again.

 

When Hyunah finally gained her normal breathing pace, she unfastened her arms from Amber's neck and rested her hands on Amber's shoulder. Slowly, she brought her face to face Amber's. Her eyes met Amber's and the two pairs of eyes were locked together. Her stomach churned with mixed feelings. Fear, happy and most importantly, love. To be able to see Amber's face this close again was so surreal.

 

Amber almost choked on her breath when she stared right into Hyunah's eyes. No word was needed. The look in the maiden's eyes screamed overwhelming love at her. The love that was only meant for her. She felt her eyes burnt from wanting to cry but she held it back. Amber took a deep breath before she gained the courage to say something. "Hyunah."

 

"Amber."

 

"You shouldn't be here." Amber tried to remain indifferent in front of her.

 

At that time, Hyunah wanted to hit Amber so much. She could not believe that Amber was still acting in front of her. "How could you lie to me?"

 

Amber turned rigid and her jaw tightened. Jaejoong didn't tell her, did he? She kept her cold attitude. "What do you-"

 

"Stop lying!" Hyunah raised her voice at her. "I know everything. Jaejoong told me everything."

 

Amber's eyes widened in shock. No. Jaejoong told her. She did not think that he would tell her because he was the one who told her to let Hyunah go. Now that Hyunah knew everything, Amber could not bring herself to look at her. Now that everything is revealed, there was no use to keep on telling lies or acting. "I just wanted to protect you." It was the truth.

 

Hyunah softened at the words. Finally, the old Amber she knew was back again. The old Amber that she knew would not do anything to hurt her. She took Amber's face in both of her hands and made her look at her. "I don't want to be protected. All I wanted is to be with you."

 

Guilt was dangling on Amber's heart. "I'm so sorry. I just wanted to protect everyone I loved. My family. You," Amber apologized sincerely. "I thought it was for the-"

 

And Hyunah did not let her continue. She closed the space between them and kissed Amber full in the lips. Hyunah shut her eyes. She knew everything and she did not want further explanation from Amber. She knew that Amber was as hurt as she was all these times. At the taste of Amber's lips, she could not imagine herself kissing other people but Amber.

 

Amber's eyes went teary when she felt the maiden's lips on hers. She thought she had got rid of the feelings of wanting to kiss Hyunah. Eyes closed, her hand found its way to the back of Hyunah's neck while the other wrapped tightly around her tiny waist. She crushed the maiden's body against hers and everything went warm. Their lips moved in unison, telling how much they longed for each other without words.

 

"What a touching reunion," a mocking voice suddenly echoed in the place. 

 

 


 

 

 

I don't even think that I have rights to apologize but it's the least I can do. I'm sorry, guise.

Life's getting tough here. So, I can only update once in a million year. /stabs self with knife/ 

But I can promise you that I never forget about this fic. Cross my heart and hope to die.

Oh and hey new subscribers, how did you find this crap of mine? Coz I started this like what? Two years ago?  

Sometimes I think, just sometimes, I think you guise are lost. loljk thank you so much for reading and subscribing. <3

Holy crap, did my writing style just changed? I used to write short chapters fluffy chapters. What happened here?

This is getting long. But you guise deserve this long bluedragon's note. Because I sarang you guise!

Thank you! <3