The Advice

Forever Love

 

Amber was at her usual place again, leaning her back on her favourite tree. But she was not doing her routine any more. She was holding her flute but that was it. She did not have the heart to play it. No more beautiful melodies came out from her flute. Anyone could tell that she had cried hard to have those puffy eyes. She felt empty inside. It had been three days since her biggest lie and the three days tortured her soul mercilessly. The image of the girl she loved dearly never failed to disturb her mind. Every time she breathed, she missed the maiden named Kim Hyunah. She missed everything about Kim Hyunah.

 

Amber still remembered the yellow dress Hyunah wore when they first set their eyes on each other. She looked like a goddess descended from the sky that day. She still remembered the purple dress Hyunah wore when they met the second time and twisted her ankle. Amber smiled faintly. The lessons they had together. The songs they played together. Amber still remembered when she brought Hyunah to meet her family. And the most memorable memory was in the cave. Amber shut her eyes tightly at the memory. In the cave, the two of them gave in to each other. Lost in each other's names. Lost in desires and love for each other. Amber bit her lower lip. The scent, the warmness, the tenderness of Hyunah's body was unforgettable. Her grip on her flute tightened at the invading memories.

 

"Thinking of my sister?"

 

Amber snapped out from all the memories of her and Hyunah when she heard a familiar voice spoken. She opened her eyes and lifted her face and her eyes widened at the sight of the person. "You," she paused. "Hyunah's brother."

 

Jaejoong was leaning against a tree, about three meters away from Amber's favourite tree. Smirking lightly, he raised a hand at her. "You remember."

 

Amber let out a scoff and looked away from him. "How could I forget?" Amber balled her fist. "You came to my house and threatened my family."

 

Jaejoong's smirk disappeared immediately at her words. He stood up straight and started to walk slowly to her direction.

 

Hearing him coming closer, Amber gritted her teeth. She was trying hard not to scream at the man or to punch the man on the face. "Why did you come here? Are you going to blackmail me again?"

 

Jaejoong stopped walking, with his back facing Amber. His eyes were looking at the river, admiring the beauty of the nature. "What if I am?"

 

Amber scoffed again and gripped her flute tighter, if possible. "You don't have to do that again." The image of crying Hyunah appeared in her mind. Her heart ached as she remembered the goddess' tears. "I won't go near Hyun-" She could not finish the syllable. She felt like she would dirty the girl's name with that told lies. "Your sister anymore."

 

Jaejoong turned around to look at her. He saw how sad and hurt her eyes were. The pain in her face was too easy to read. He knew that she was in love with his sister. He took a long breath and let it out. "You really love her, don't you?"

 

So much that it kills me inside. She could never say that out loud, especially when she was with the person who blackmailed her family. "No. I don't," she lied again and her heart pained.

 

Jaejoong shook his head because he knew the truth. He picked up some flat small stones and sat down on one of the big rocks there. He threw a stone and the stone bounced on the surface of water. "She's going to enter the Lee household in four days time."

 

The stone sank into the water and so was Amber's heart. She's going to enter the Lee household in four days time. The sentence repeated in her head, making her heart torn heart shattered bit by bit. She's really going to marry the man. She's really getting married. "Really? I'm happy for her then." No. She was not happy. Not even a bit. How could she be happy when the love of her life was going to be with other person and not her?

 

Jaejoong threw another stone and it bounced three times before it sank. Even without looking at her, he could tell that Amber was devastated inside. "I'm sorry," he blurted.

 

Amber was slightly taken aback by his words. She looked at Jaejoong. The man did not have the apologizing expression on his face. I heard that wrongly.

 

"I'm sorry." A stone sank in the river again.

 

Amber did hear him right. The man was apologizing at her. "What for?"

 

Jaejoong's hand stopped at mid-air before he could throw another stone. "For blackmailing your family."

 

Her eyes widened at the changed expression of Jaejoong. His eyes were no longer cold or cocky. They were full of sympathy.

 

Jaejoong brought his eyes to meet hers. "I know it was wrong to do so but it was the best." He stared at her for a good few seconds. "You know that both of you can't be together."

 

Amber felt her heart shattered and scattered away. She knew that they could not be together. Their society ranks were too wide, too incompatible. Her eyes were glistening with water at the fact. "I- I know th-"

 

"It's against the nature."

 

This time Amber's eyes widened so much. slightly opened and her heart was beating loudly inside. Does this mean he knows that I'm a-

 

"I know you're a female, Kuo Amber," he said again, as if he could read her mind.

 

The flute fell from Amber's hand. She was in shock. Huge shock. Jaejoong knew that she was a female, a girl. Her breathing went vigorous. I've been found out. He knows my real gender.

 

Jaejoong noticed that Amber was astounded at his statement. "Don't worry though. The other family members of mine still clueless about you."

 

Amber slowly slumped down on her feet. The last statement did not make her feel any better. What if Jaejoong told the others that Hyunah's former lover was a female? She could already imagine the reactions of people. The words that they would say about Hyunah. How Hyunah would be hurt and shun by the people because of her forbidden relationship. She could not let that happen. "Please," Amber paused. "Please don't tell other people about this." She did not mind if people talked badly about her but she could not let that happen to Hyunah for she was from an honourable family.

 

Jaejoong saw right through her words. "See? You do love her."

 

Amber leaned her head on the trunk of the tree. She let out a sad chuckle. "So what? What if I loved her?" Amber gripped her weakened hands together. She would never be mine. The thought killed her inside for the umpteenth time. Amber ever thought that love was the strongest element among elements. But now, she was not sure anymore. Her mother told her that love healed people's wounds . But why was the love that she trusted so much caused permanent wound in her heart? "Love can do nothing."

 

There was a significant silence.

 

"You're wrong, Amber."

 

Amber weakly turned her eyes to look at the man. She was surprised to see the sadness in Jaejoong's eyes. It reminded her of… herself.

 

"Love can make you do anything," he paused. "Love can make you do anything that you never thought you could do before. Love can make you smile even when the life is being cruel to you. Love can make you be stronger else even when the life beat you mercilessly." Jaejoong looked at the river and threw the last stone in his hand. "And love can make you want to live for somebody else."

 

Amber was caught off guard by his words. His words struck her at the very core of her heart. Every word of his was true. Closing her eyes, Amber reflected the words in herself. The reason for her smiles, her strength, her life. Indeed she saw her family in her mind but Hyunah was in her heart. She opened her eyes again. "How did you know?"

 

Jaejoong stood straight and dusted his clothes. "You might see Kim Jaejoong as an emotionless and cold-hearted person," he said. He curved a faint smile. "But no one understands your situation more than me."

 

She pinched her eyebrows together, not getting what was Jaejoong talking about. What does he meant by no one understand my situation more than- Her eyes dilated. Can it be…

 

Jaejoong knew what was Amber thinking about. "I was once like you. I fell in love with someone I shouldn't." His eyes were sadder now.

 

Amber was even surprised to hear that. Jaejoong was being so straightforward and opened to some unfamiliar person like her. She did not know what to say at the moment.

 

Jaejoong heaved a sigh. "I fell in love with a commoner in my younger days. She was the most breathtaking woman I had ever known. She might be a commoner but she was nobler than the upper class people because of her kind beautiful heart."

 

Amber could see the admiration and love in Jaejoong's eyes when he spoke about the person he loved. Yet, she could still see the pain behind them.

 

"I met her on a fateful day and both of us fell for each other. If before I only heard about love at first sight, that time I experienced it myself." He smiled, showing his white teeth. "We started seeing each other in secret."

 

The story seemed too similar. Just like Hyunah and I did. Amber was getting curious about Jaejoong's story.

 

"I promised her that I would marry her, give her a comfortable life and love her until I die." His smile faded slowly as he said it.

 

Amber could not hold her curiosity. "What happened?"

 

Jaejoong looked straight at Amber. "Just like you, my family blackmailed her family, telling her to stay away from me. My father also threatened me that he would make sure that the woman vanishes forever if I keep seeing her."

 

Sympathy climbed up Amber's heart. "What did you do then?"

 

Jaejoong's lips were tugged into a sad smile once more. "I did the thing that people in love would do to protect their loved ones." He gripped his fist. "I let her go."

 

Amber's heart filled with sympathy towards the man now. "I-I'm sorry to hear that."

 

"It's okay now." Jaejoong let out a sad chuckle. "She lived well with her new family now. She's safe and happy. That's good enough for me."

 

He let her go for her safety. He rather let her be with other man than to never be able to see her again. He sacrificed his own happiness for the happiness of the person he loved. Now, Amber had a new perspective of the man named Kim Jaejoong.

 

"Therefore, you're doing the right thing by letting her go, Amber. I know it's painful but it's the best decision,” Jaejoong said with serious tome but not intimidating. "Believe me. It's the best for both parties."

 

Amber's eyes dropped to her flute that was lying on the ground. Memories of Hyunah came back to her again. How she loved the maiden's smiles and laughter and Amber would do anything to make them stay on Hyunah's beautiful face. I know it's painful at first, Hyunah. But believe me, you'll learn to smile in no time. After all, you're a fast learner. A bittersweet smile formed on her face. Somehow, Amber felt relieved. Slowly, she stood up and dusted her clothes. "I don't know why you're telling me this," Amber spoke up. "But I appreciate it. Thank you," Amber thanked him sincerely.

 

Jaejoong's lips curved upwards at her words. He walked to Amber's direction and stopped in front of her. "Be strong." He patted Amber's shoulder twice before he turned and walked away from the place, leaving Amber all alone.

 

Amber lowered her eyes to the ground. Her flute was still lying there. After staring at it for a good few seconds, she bent down and reached for her flute. She cleaned it using the long sleeve of her clothes and stared at it again. Be strong. Jaejoong's last two words echoed in her head. A small smile lit her face. "I will. I will be strong for my family." She held the flute with her two hands. "I will be strong for Hyunah." And for the first time in three days time, she finally played the flute again.