Chapter 14

Kpop Hunger Games

[Minho’s Point Of View]

"We’re not alone?" Jessica croaks out.

I look around the cave. Its small, and with the daylight shining through the cracks, I can see almost everything. No one was here, except the two of us.

"We are alone now.." I say.

I touch the fire and it is cold. Someone must have crawled in last night when we were sleeping, and then just left? It didn’t make any sense.

"But why would whoever was in here just leave? Why didn’t they stay?" Jessica asks.

I put my hand to my chin like I’m thinking real hard. "Maybe they found out we were in here." I finally say.

Jessica furrows her eyebrows and gives me a confused look. "But—what?—that makes no sense. If they knew we were here, why didn’t they kill us when they had the chance?" she asks, confused.

"Sunggyu!" Jessica blurts out. "It had to have been Sunggyu."

"What makes you think that? It could have been anyone." I say.

"I don’t know. But we need to move out of the cave now. Before he comes again and kills us this time." Jessica says. She packs away the sleeping bag and helps me with my things too. And before you know it we are out of the cave.

We sneak our way through the trees, Jessica being as quiet as a mouse. The only thing breaking the silence was my clumsily scattering through the leaves.

"Minho, could you be any louder?" Jessica whispers, obviously annoyed at how loud I was.

I smirk. "I can get very louder!" I shout.

Jessica throws her hand on my mouth. "Shhhhhhhh!!!"

[Jessica’s Point of view]

Minho did the unexpected. His lips pressed together and planted a wet sloppy kiss on my hand. I immediately remove it away. "Eww!" I blurt at him. I walk off ahead of him stomping on all the leaves. I was trying to be quiet, but no. Minho wrecked my mood.

I hear Minho giggling from behind me. I turn around to growl at him but as I did, I tripped and fell.

"Are you okay?" Minho rushes to my side.

"I’m fine!" I reply back at him. I told him I was fine, when really I wasn’t. I sprained my ankle.

"Why don’t we just find a tree to rest in?" I suggest, making it my excuse to rest my sore ankle without him knowing. Minho nods.

I scan the trees, and finally decide on a massive one that’s been perfectly hidden among the branches. I stealthily climb up the branches.

"Alright, Minho, your turn." I say.

Minho makes his way up the first branch, but cant push himself up and crawls back down.

"I’m not a tree climber. Can you help me get up?" he says. I roll my eyes and grab his hand and pull him up the tree. We finally get to a perfect branch to rest on.

We eat the rest of the little supply of food we had in our packs and finish off the water. I groan and hold my stomach as it lets out a gruesome growl. I’m starving. I haven’t eaten a good meal in days! I grit my teeth and ball up my fists in envy, knowing that the viewers watching us right now are probably eating lovely meals. How I wish-

"Sh. Do you hear that?" Minho asks me in a low whisper.

I strain my ears and can barely hear the soft rustle of leaves being crunched under someone’s boot. I peer down to the ground, and see someone making their way across the tree. It doesn’t see us.

"Dara! Where are you? Dara" a voice grows hoarse. I know immediately who it is. Its Thunder from the J.Tune district, who’s sister Dara, is in the YG district.

I hold my breath in, trying not to make a sound. The last thing I want is to be caught. Even though I don’t know what Thunder’s personality is like, I don’t know if he is capable of killing us or not, but I don’t want to risk it.

I suddenly see a movement in the trees down below, ahead of us. My eyes widened. Its Sunggyu with a knife, and he’s looking directly at Thunder.

"Psst." I whisper. Thunder hears me and looks up, shocked.

"What are you doing?" Minho whispers at me but I ignore him.

I signal Thunder and point to the trees, trying to tell him that he’s the next victim of Sunggyu. I know that helping other tributes out is probably not the best thing to do, but for some reason I felt sorry for him. Thunder caught on, and saw Sunggyu in the distance. Thunder made a run for it after thanking me with a head bow.

Sungyyu plunges a knife at Thunder as he ran, but it misses him by a mile and it hits our tree.

Minho clamps his hand over my mouth and puts a finger to his lips. "Shhh."

I noticed Sunggyu holding his leg—the same leg I stabbed him in. He pulls out the knife and sits down at the bottom of our tree. I glance at Minho’s shoulder and remember what Sunggyu did to us. I am ready to scream at him, but Minho grips my arm before I can. He shakes his head and glares at me. Sunggyu groans and lifts his leg up to examine it. I use all my strength to resist myself from yelling at him, but cant control it, and suddenly I feel my legs in the air and my hands failing like crazy.

I land on the ground with a loud thud and I’m certain I broke something. Sunggyu yells in surprise and I slowly raise myself up to look at him. He starts searching for his weapon and I spot it near my foot. I guess he spots it too, because we are both trying to reach it.

I hear Minho’s feet lead behind me and come to my rescue. I look at him and he;s holding his bow with an arrow.

"Stop, Minho!" I scream. Minho looks at me surprisingly.

I snap my head towards Sunggyu. "Leave. Leave now! I don’t ever want to see you again so leave!" I yell.

Sunggyu doesn’t respond. His face motionless and still.

I turn to Minho. "Don’t kill him yet." I tell him.

Sunggyu stands up and slowly backs away. "Alright, I’m leaving." He says, and limps away from us.

I hold my side and groan. Minho pokes his finger in my side and I yell out in pain.

"I think one of your ribs are broken." He states.

I nod my head and sit down. I grip my side tightly and tug at Minho’s hand with my free hand.

"Minho, give me your pants." I say.

He yanks my hand away and gives me a look of disbelief. "What? My pants?" he asks.

"Your pants! I need something to help keep my rib in place." I say. The pain is increasing intensely. I feel like I had been stabbed over and over.

Minho rips the bottom piece of his pants off of him and hands it to me. "Not all of my pants. Take this."

I grab the fabric and set it next to me. I reach for a nearby stick and place it in front of my wound. I take the fabric and wrap it around the stick so it stays in place.

I get up and Minho grabs my arm as I start walking away. "Where are you going? our stuff is up there."

I yank my hand free. "So? I can’t get to it. You can’t climb up there, So what’s the point of trying?" I snap at him.

He drops his arms and silently follows as I walk. I make it about two miles before I drop to the ground. Minho is at my side immediately, holding my head in his hand.

"Jessca? Are you ok?" he asks, his words jumbling and speaking faster than normal.

I glimpse up at him. "Minho I’m fine." I say. "Let me up."

Minho grips onto my arm, forcing me to stay on the ground. "No Jessi, you need to rest." He snaps at me.

I shake my head. "No Minho, someone will find us."

"I don’t care who finds us, I’ll kill them."

"but-" Minho cuts me off. "I don’t care Jessica. You need to rest now. Sleep!"

I finally give in and throw myself on the ground. Minho sighs and mutters a ‘thank you’. I don’t know how I managed, but almost instantly I shut my eyes and am off in dream land.

I awake to the sound of the anthem playing. Still no one dead. I smile in my head knowing that I saved two lives today, even though it was probably best if I didn’t.

"Your awake" Minho smiles at me. I smile back.

Minho curls up next to me and offers to keep watch again. I shake my head and decide I’ll do it. He doesn’t hesitate to agree.

As he falls asleep, i start thinking. I want Minho to live. I want him to win the Hunger Games. He has much more of a future than I do. And it’s not like I am going to survive any longer anyway. Besides, if I win and he didn’t, there would be so much hate towards me. He has so many fans who would kill to be this close to him. I wipe the tears that suddenly start forming in my eyes. Its been decided.

I’m going to risk everything to keep Minho alive.

Suddenly, I hear stomping from a distance away. I try not to panic, but cant help freaking out a little when I remember that I have no weapons. And then I see them. The animals the Capitol created. The tigers.

"Minho, wake up!" I shout as I violently shake him.