Chapter 30

The Singer, the Dancer, and the Jerk

“If I have to walk to the doctor’s then I think I can walk to the competition!” Eunmi slowly lifted her leg and tried to get off the sofa extremely slowly so that she wouldn’t wince.

“You have to keep that elevated and iced for at least a couple of hours before we go there,” Ms. Kim shook her head and placed Eunmi’s leg back into its original position.

Eunmi felt like bursting into tears from frustration. Out of all days to become a clumsy person, why today?

Jongin was sitting on the other sofa with Taeyeon and Taemin was casually leaning against it.

Eunmi squinted her eyes at him, “This is your entire fault!”

Taemin scoffed, “Mine? I don’t think I’m the one who tripped over the stairs.”

“Well maybe if you weren’t such a lazy you would have picked your things up instead of dumping them on the stairs!” Eunmi yelled. She was being unreasonable, but she had to let her frustrations out and spouting nonsense was all she could do right now.

“Maybe you should have watched where you were going,” Taemin said shortly. “It doesn’t matter what I say, you’ll always take the side opposite of mine.”

“Alright alright,” Ms. Kim interrupted. “Let’s be a little more mature. It’s no one’s fault, it was just an unfortunate accident. I don’t want to hear either of you blaming each other.”

Eunmi crossed her arms and looked away while Taemin flipped through the TV channels.

Jongin sighed. Great, another reason for them to fight even more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eunmi’s phone vibrated in her pocket and she stared at the caller ID: Daehyun.

“Where are you?!” he hissed when she picked up.

“At home.”

“WHAT?!” he yelped. “WHY?!”

Eunmi explained the story and how she was going to go to the doctor’s in a bit after the swelling went down.

“Oh no, are you okay?” he asked worriedly.

“Fine,” Eunmi said dryly. “What’s not fine is that I won’t even get a chance to sing in that competition that we’ve been practising so much for.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll try and see if you can go last,” Daehyun said. “We’re only on the second person. Hey! Your friend is last, I’m sure he wouldn’t mind switching places with you.”

“You can try but the x-ray place is pretty far from here, and before that we have to get a referral from the doctors,” Eunmi didn’t mean to sound so negative and give up so easily, she felt bitter.

“I’ll see what I can do here, maybe you can do it over the phone,” he suggested.

“You can try,” Eunmi shrugged, forgetting he couldn’t see it.

“I’ll go talk to the judges. Talk to you later!” he said before hanging up.

Eunmi threw her phone on the sofa. Taemin had gone upstairs, Jongin was in the kitchen, and Taeyeon was making Eunmi a get well card. Ms. Kim was phoning the hospital so say she would come to work late that day and informing Hyunki of what had happened.

She felt guilty about blaming Taemin like that, but she was frustrated with him.

“How’s your ankle?” Jongin asked, handing her a glass of juice.

“Fine,” Eunmi muttered, taking the glass from him.

“You’re not too upset, right?”

“Meh.”

“You practiced a lot. Too bad you didn’t get to show off your talents.”

“Thanks Jongin.”

Jongin winked, “No problem.”

He knew that Eunmi didn’t. blame Taemin for what happened. It didn’t help the fact that they were still not on speaking terms, or fighting terms for that matter.

A couple of minutes later, Eunmi received a text from Daehyun.

Sorry, MiMi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eunmi went to the doctors with her mother a couple of hours later, Her ankle was still hurting enormously. The doctor wasn’t sure if it was broken so they got the referral for an x-ray and they were headed there.

“Is it hurting any less?” Ms. Kim asked as they drove to the x-ray centre.

“Yeah.”

“Can you move it?”

“No.”

Ms. Kim sighed, “I know you’re disappointed, honey, but if I let you go it could have gotten worse.”

“I know.”

Eunmi leaned her head against the car window and adjusted her leg so her ankle would hurt less.

Ms. Kim dropped Eunmi off near the front and then went to park the car so Eunmi wouldn’t have to walk the distance.

She shifted her weight onto her right leg as she waited for her mother. When she mother arrived, they went in and it was a good thing the x-ray lab was empty so Eunmi got her x-ray done right away.

“Results will be sent to your doctor in a couple of days,” the man at the office said. “In the mean time, I suggest crutches.”

“Yes, thank you,” Ms. Kim bowed and Eunmi slightly nodded her head before limping away with her mother.

“I refuse to have crutches,” Eunmi said flatly.

“They would help you,” Ms. Kim said.

“It’s just a sprained ankle, I can rest today and tomorrow and by Monday, I’ll be okay.”

“If your ankle is broken, the situation will be different, and even with a sprained ankle, it will take a couple of days to heal.”

“No crutches,” Eunmi said. On top of everything else, crutches meant unnecessary sympathy from the people around her and she hated that. Except from Taemin of course, who would do her the generous favour of never showing her sympathy.

“Then you have to take it easy for a couple of days,” Ms. Kim said as she took the car keys out of her purse when they got to the outside of the building. “Wait here.”

While Ms. Kim brought the car, Eunmi waited for her and played with her jacket. A sinking feeling came over her as she realized that by now she would have known how well she had done.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hyunki came home as soon as he could that day, showing a lot of concern towards Eunmi and reassuring her that she would get to enter another competition, another chance.

Taeyeon was glittering her get well card and Jongin was sitting with her while they watched TV, Eunmi’s leg elevated on a stool.

Taemin entered the room and joined Jongin and Eunmi.

“I’ve decided to forgive you for being a traitor,” he said.

“Gee, thanks for forgiving me for a wrong I didn’t do,” Eunmi said sarcastically.

“You’re welcome.”

Eunmi rolled her eyes but smiled. Never gunna change.

“Besides, I have another reason to tease you now. Could you get any clumsier? I mean, do you need seeing and walking lessons?!”

Eunmi’s smile fell and Jongin grinned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daehyun called the next day and went through a very thorough ‘You worked hard and you should be proud of what you’ve done’ speech. He wouldn’t hear Eunmi’s disappointment.

“It’s kind of hard not to be sad when all the hard work you did for the past 6 months goes to waste,” Eunmi said bitterly.

“Hey, Kim Eunmi,” Daehyun said in a warning voice.

“Okay okay, it’s all good,” Eunmi sighed.

“Good, and if you mope I will know,” Daehyun said.

“What makes you think you know me so well?”

“Six months of singing sessions, obviously.”

Eunmi smiled, at least one thing had come out of those six months: a great friend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eunmi didn’t exactly rest during the weekend. She rested for a couple of hours on Saturday and began walking the next day.

“Eunmi, that ankle won’t be better by tomorrow,” Ms. Kim said as Eunmi walked –actually, limped into the kitchen and sat down at the table. Taemin was sneaking food while Ms. Kim cooked.

“It’s fine,” Eunmi waved it away. “I hate sitting around.”

“Why?” Taemin said, taking a piece of chicken when he thought Ms. Kim wasn’t looking. “Sitting around doing nothing is the best.”

“Of course you would think that. Huh, coming from a dancer too,” Eunmi said, shaking her head.

“Do you think you’ll be able to go to school tomorrow?” Ms. Kim asked, looking through the cupboards, her back to the oven. Then she added, “And Taemin, hands out of the food.”

“How can you see me?!” Taemin exclaimed, bewildered.

“I think so. I’ve been walking around all day and it doesn’t hurt too much,” Eunmi said.

“But dear, a sprained ankle like that doesn’t get better in two days. Especially when you’ve been using that ankle,” Ms. Kim turned back to the oven, slapped Taemin’s hands away, and stirred the pot.

“It’s okay. Taemin can carry me around.”

“Are you dumb, FatMuffin?! It’d take an army to carry you!” Taemin said. “Maybe like five of me.”

“You know it’s bad to poke fun at a girl’s weight,” Eunmi huffed.

“Oh, you’re a girl?” Taemin asked in mock wonder. “I had no idea what was hidden behind that 65kg of fat.”

“Shut up!” Eunmi yelled as Jongin entered the kitchen. “Besides, I’m like what 50kg?”

“So then how come you eat like you’re a human monster?”

“What do you mean?! I eat like a normal person!”

“Yeah if a normal person ate 15 meals a day.”

“In case you forgot, you’re the one that eats 15 meals a day and goes in the kitchen poking at whatever’s cooking!”

“At least I don’t trip and twist my ankle before an important compeition.”

“At least I got IN an important competition.”

“Yeah? We-”

“SHUT UP!” Jongin yelled furiously.

“Thank you, Jongin,” Ms. Kim nodded at her youngest son.

“Is that any way to talk to your elders?” Taemin crossed his arms and raised a brow at Jongin.

“Maybe you should act like an. elder and I’ll treat you like one,” Jongin shrugged.

“Tsss,” Eunmi made a burning sound.

“I hope you know the same applies to you, noona.”

“You , Jongin.”

Jongin ignored her comment and turned to his mother. He watched her for a while before innocently saying, “Mommy, can you pretty please make that pineapple dessert thing?” Jongin went from cool to cute in a split second to ask his mother to make his favourite dessert. “Pretty, pretty please?”

“Kid, you make me sick,” Taemin shook his head at Jongin’s ‘cuteness’. “If you’re gunna do it, do it right.”

He put his hands together and made puppy dog eyes and a cute pout at Ms. Kim.

“Can you pretty please make us a yummy dessert?” Taemin blinked. He put his fist next to his face and winked.

Eunmi held back her laughter as she watched the two ‘cool kids’ of the house.

Ms. Kim raised an eyebrow in an amused way, “Anything for the cute little boys.”

“YES!” Jongin and Taemin exchanged high fives.

Eunmi laughed and watched them leave the kitchen, happy that they’d get their dessert.

“What about you? Not going to try anything cute?” Ms. Kim asked.

“You know I’m not the cute type,” Eunmi stood up. “But I do like your dessert. So thanks!” Eunmi waddled out of the kitchen and joined Taeyeon in the living room.

“How’s your ankle, unnie?” Taeyeon asked.

“Better, thanks,” Eunmi smiled and ruffled her hair.

“HERE COMES A MONSTERRR!” Taemin growled and in a dash picked Taeyeon up and ‘ate’ her.

Taeyeon giggled and pushed Taemin’s head away, “Oppa, you’re not a monster.”

“Who told you that?”

“Monsters don’t exist.”

“Says who? They do,” Taemin put her down. “I wouldn’t look under my bed at night if I were you. And never sleep with a doll.”

“Why?”

“Dolls come alive at night and they kill people,” Taemin shrugged.

“Taemin! Stop that!” Eunmi scolded. “You’re going to scare her!”

Taemin winked at Taeyeon before going back upstairs to watch dance videos.

“He’s joking, Yeon,” Eunmi assured.

Taeyeon nodded, “I have to go hide my dolls.” She dashed up the stair and Eunmi shook her head.

My goodness, Lee Taemin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eunmi ended up going to school on Monday. The swelling had gone down significantly and she had no problem limping everywhere. Jongin had gone to school early to get some extra help from his teacher.

“You’re so weird,” Taemin said over breakfast. “Why go to school when you have the option of staying home?”

“What am I going to do at home? Besides, it’s not that bad, I can limp my way around,” Eunmi shrugged.

“Don’t expect me to take care of you if you can’t handle it,” Taemin reminded.

“That won’t happen. You’re carrying me around today,” she smiled sweetly.

“Fat chance.”

Eunmi put her cereal bowl away as Taemin dumped his in the sink and went upstairs.

“Can you bring my jacket downstairs?” Eunmi asked as he walked up the stairs.

“Nope!”

“Come on, Taemin!” Eunmi stomped her normal foot.

“Sorry not sorry!”

Eunmi blew a raspberry and went to the kitchen to pack her lunch. She’d have to get her jacket last since it would take her a long time to get it. Her mother had already left to drop Taeyeon off.

She set her bag and threw it on the sofa before heading to the stairs.

Suddenly a jacket landed over her head and Taemin was downstairs.

“You’re welcome.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some people noticed Eunmi limping around and sent her their get well soon’s.

Daehyun greeted her brightly, asking about her ankle and was extremely joyful. It was quite weird seeing him so happy, he seemed a little distant and cold normally.

“Why are you so happy?” Eunmi mumbled during homeroom.

“Why are you so unhappy?” Daehyun countered.

“I’m not.”

“Yes you are.”

“No I’m not.”

“Yes you are.”

“You’re turning into a sunshine version of Taemin.”

“You’re turning into a negative Nancy,” Daehyun said.

“I don’t know where this conversation is going,” Eunmi looked at him.

“Me either.”

They laughed as the teacher came in and started copying a note.

Halfway through the lesson, Taemin strolled into the class.

What is he doing here? Eunmi wondered.

Her teacher looked at him and nodded, “Ah, yes, Mr. Lee. You may do your test in the empty seat near Miss Kim.”

Taemin smirked and nodded as he headed to the seat one away from Eunmi.

“What test are you doing?” Eunmi asked, leaning over the girl that was sleeping beside her.

“Math.”

“Why are you doing it now?”

“I missed this test cuz I had a dentist’s appointment,” he grinned and Eunmi knew he had his appointment scheduled during the test on purpose.

“Got a calculator? Hey do you know what this means?” He made an odd shape in the air and looked at her.

“No I don’t have a calculator and no I don’t. Stop trying to cheat!” Eunmi said, turning away to pay attention. Taemin made a face and took his phone out to use as a calculator after making sure Eunmi’s teacher wasn’t looking.

“Are you cheating?” Eunmi whispered.

“Do you not have any faith in my morals?”

“Not really to be honest.”

Taemin grinned and continued to do his test. Cheating wasn’t something Lee Taemin did.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I think that’s enough for today!” Jongin blew his whistle and the middle school boys stopped playing and caught their breaths. It was Monday after school, the usual practice.

“That was pretty good,” Jongin nodded. “You guys will do well when you’re playing in the actual game.”

“Hyung, its cuz of you. With our coach we would be slaughtered,” the captain of the team, Hyunwoo, said after catching his breath.

“Nah, you guys are good without me too,” Jongin grinned.

The team shook their heads and Jongin told them to go change. It was a lot of fun ‘coaching’ the kids. It reminded him how much fun playing basketball since a young age was. He had been doing it since the summer, amazed that he had kept it from his family for so long. Hyunki, however, had found out when one of the kids came to the restaurant and saw Jongin there. But he promised to keep it a secret between them.

He put the basketball away and made sure none of the team’s belongings were in the gym. He turned his head towards the door and his eyes blinked rapidly in surprise. A familiar pair of eyes had been watching him through the gym doors.

No way..... Jongin thought as he headed to the door. At that moment, the door to the change room which came in the way of the door, opened and the team piled out.

“What’s up, hyung? You look funny,” Hyunwoo tilted his head.

“Huh?” Jongin turned his attention to the boys in front of him. “Oh. Nothing. You guys done? Off you go then. See you next week.”

They high fived and bid farewell to Jongin before leaving. Jongin collected his things and put his jacket on before leaving as well.

He walked through a street full of shops and waited for the signal to let him cross the crosswalk. He noticed a little girl trying to get what looked like her brother to cross the street.

“Yes, one minute, Minhee,” her brother said calmly. He was carrying a big box towards the donation shop.

“Oppa, hurry!” The girl called Minhee urged. “What if the shop closes?!”

“It won’t, now follow me so I can give these in,” her brother carried the box into the shop, expecting Minhee to follow.

But little Minhee ran to the crosswalk as the signal turned green. Jongin raised his eyebrows in alarm. At that moment, a motorcycle that seemed to be slipping out of control because of the icy road was headed right for the girl who was looking at the ice cream shop.

Without thinking too much of it, Jongin ran forward.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HIYA! *screams in your ear*

Yeah I have this thing lately where I scream HIYA! in people's ears when I see them. I get many reactions: use of a swear word, an 'unbelieveable' look, and then there's the no reaction cuz those people expect me to do something like that XD

OMG I UPDATED SEP 28TH LAST TIME?! NOW WAY! OMG ITS BEEN A MONTH?!

Well.... I have nothing to say about that..... except super big sorry and thanks for staying with me XD I'm very surprised none of you unsubscribed, but thanks :)

I have many things to say.... well first off: SCHOOL , I don't even remember to go on allkpop these days! And my tumblr is just.... I don't even know why I made it......

We're studying poetry in one of my classes and there's this one poem, 12 pages long.... o.m.g that is not a poem its a friggin short story! Did I read it? If you guys were teachers, I'd say YUP I READ IT ALL, COMPLETELY! If not, then LOL no I read a summary online :)

Just kidding....... I read like the first 3 pages, besides its old English AND super confusing! Not my fault :/ besides when is anyone ever going to ask me 'Hey you, come here, can you analyze this poem for me?'

I have a story to tell you, but I don't wanna make this super long so till next time!

See ya~! Don't know when I'll update so I've decided to not lead you guys on XD

Oh!I made my first ever poster, you wanna see it? OKAY :)

 

Not the best poster out there, but it's a start :)