Chapter 38

The Singer, the Dancer, and the Jerk

Eunmi was enveloped in hugs as they left the stage. She was grinning widely and a huge weight seemed to be lifted off of her chest.

 “I told you you could do it,” Sehun said, smiling. Eunmi beamed and skipped into the dressing room.

 Taemin decided to keep the shoelace incident to himself since no one, not even Eunmi, had noticed that her shoelace had been untied and that he had stuffed it into her shoe.

Eunmi changed her clothes again and as she got out of the changing stall she saw Jongin entering the room.

 “So how did Naeun do, Jongin?” Eunmi grinned, walking over to him, Taemin and the others walking over as well.

 “I can’t believe you guys kept that from me,” Jongin shook his head. “And I’m so stupid, how did I not notice?”

 “Well it wasn’t easy,” Taemin said matter-of-factly. “I had to cover up for her idiocity and bad lying,” he jabbed his thumb in Eunmi’s direction.

 “Noona did good, right?” Sehun said brightly.

 “Yeah, it was really good. You did well, noona,” Jongin smiled. “I was surprised you didn’t trip over a shoelace or anything.”

Eunmi beamed and Jongin briefly looked at Taemin and he knew that Jongin had seen him stuff Eunmi’s shoelace into her shoe.

Doesn’t miss a tricky that guy! Taemin thought. Taeyeon and Ms. Kim entered as well and congratulated Taemin, Eunmi and the rest of them on a superb performance.

 “I’m glad all this performance stuff is over,” Taemin yawned as they headed to the car. “I was neglecting the important things in life.”

 “Like what?” Eunmi asked as they piled in.

 “Watching TV, eating, sleeping, and of course, driving you crazy.”

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jongin’s cast came off that weekend and he took immense pleasure in walking around without something strapped to his leg.

“Jongin, can you stop walking in front of the TV?” Eunmi asked. Jongin had been walking around the living room, shaking his leg that was cast free.

“I’m just trying to get used to not having a cast! My leg feels so free, I have to exercise it,” Jongin said.

“But you’ve been walking for ages now! The only difference is that it’s without the big, heavy cast!”

Jongin ignored her and then went upstairs to his room. The letter of acceptance to the sports camp was lying on his desk. He picked it up and read it over again.

He was still quite puzzled as to how this happened, wouldn’t some sort of executive person have to come and watch him play to see if he was the proper material for the camp? He hadn’t seen anyone in the gym when he played with the kids.

Shrugging, he put the letter away and decided to go visit the kids at the gym to see if they might know.

When he got there, he was greeted with loud congratulations and sighs of relief that Jongin was okay.

“Thanks guys,” Jongin smiled. “You guys ready for your next game? When is it?”

“Next week. Hyung, now that your better you have to help us. We totally ,” one of the boys sulked.

Jongin laughed, “I don’t think so, you guys are god even without me.  But before that, did any of you, maybe, send a letter to SYSC on my behalf?”

“SYSC? That really good sports camp?”

Jongin nodded and the boys shook their heads.

“Wait why?” one of them asked. “No way, hyung, you got in?!”

“Well, er yeah, but I don’t know how because I didn’t apply,” Jongin said sheepishly.

“Way to go, hyung!”

“You the man!”

 They congratulated him some more and then Jongin began coaching them. He really enjoyed it, it was fun teaching the kids how to play a game that they loved better.

An hour later, after goodbyes, the boys left and Jongin put the basketballs away. He smiled as he put each one in the cart, thinking that the boys had improved a lot.

He put his jacket on and opened the gym door. The next thing he knew, he was face-to-face with his father.

Jongin’s eyes widened, “You!”

Mr. Choi smiled gently.

“It was you that time, I saw you looking through the doors,” Jongin remembered.

“Yes, it was me,” Mr. Choi said. “It’s nice to see you play like that.”

“Yeah, well, I didn’t do it for your approval,” Jongin said, more coldly than intended.

“Obviously you wouldn’t,” Mr. Choi said. “But you have a lot of skill.”

Jongin did a double take as he realized something, “You sent the application, didn’t you?”

Mr. Choi smiled again, “I did. It’s kind of my way of apologizing.”

“How?” Jongin asked.

“Getting your address and stuff wasn’t difficult and since I’m a coach I recommended you,” Mr. Choi explained. “The representative watched you from here one day, I asked him not to enter the gym because you wanted him to watch you when you were being natural.”

There was a pause in which Jongin stared at his feet.

“Are you going to go?”

Jongin thought about it for a second and then said, “Yeah, I think I will.”

Mr. Choi smiled, “That’s great!”

“I guess,” Jongin said uncomfortably. “Well I have to go now.”

“Right, bye then,” Mr. Choi nodded.

Jongin paused and then held out a hand. His father looked surprised for a moment and then slowly, grasped Jongin’s hand and shook it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Where’ve you been?” Taemin asked as Jongin sat down beside him.

“Gym,” Jongin replied. “With the kids.”

“Wow, how do you have so much patience to deal with little brats?” Taemin asked, looking over his homework.

“How do you have such little patience?” Jongin countered, zipping through TV channels. “Where’s noona?”

“In the kitchen,” Taemin replied, getting up to go bother her.

“Don’t rip apart the kitchen!” Jongin called. Taemin ignored him.

“What are you doing?” he asked Eunmi, who was reading something off of her phone.

“Making cookies,” she said and she gathered the ingredients

“Don’t burn the second batch,” Taemin said, grabbing a banana.

“Huh?” Eunmi looked at him.

Taemin didn’t say anything but walked away, chewing on his banana.

“Weirdo,” Eunmi muttered. She gathered the ingredients she needed and began making the cookies.

Half an hour later, she put the first batch in the oven and then went upstairs to experiment with a bag of makeup her mother had randomly bought her.

“What are you doing?” Taemin asked, walking into her room and standing behind her.

“Something.  Does this look weird?” Eunmi turned away from her dresser and looked at him.

“Your face? It always does.”

Eunmi rolled her eyes and pointed to her right eye, “This.”

Taemin gasped, “You have an eye infection! Get away from me!” he scrambled onto her bed.

“It’s not an eye infection, you dolt. It’s purple eye shadow,” Eunmi said, turning back to her dresser.

“Does that help with the infection?”

“I’m not infected!”

“Surrrrreee.”

Taemin then proceeded to look through her closet.

“You know it’s rude to look through someone’s closet, especially a girl’s,” Eunmi said, removing the experimental eye shadow from her eyes.

“You know I don’t care,” Taemin said, looking at all her clothes.

“Ew my grandma wore this when she was a kid.”

“Isn’t this Jongin’s old shirt?”

“I swear Taeyeon has some of this stuff.”

“My arm wouldn’t even fit through these pants.”

“TAEMIN!” Eunmi yelled as she cleared away the mess on her dresser. She turned around, “Could you not-”

Her eyes widened at the clothes scattered around her room.

“TAEMIN!” she yelled again and he flinched.

“Lower your voice, woman!”

“You better clean this up or you don’t get any cookies,” she said. Then she realized something, “THE COOKIES!”

“Idiot,” Taemin said as Eunmi ran out of her room and downstairs. Smirking to himself he followed her and when he entered the kitchen he found Eunmi banging one of the cookies on the counter. A tray full of blackened cookies was beside her.

“Who needs a hammer when you have these?” Taemin took one of the burnt cookies and hit it against a cupboard.

“They’re kind of edible,” Eunmi said, putting one in . “OUCH!” she immediately retracted it as her teeth began to hurt.

“Like I said, don’t burn the second batch,” Taemin threw the burnt cookies away and walked out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The weekend went by fast, Eunmi enjoyed it to the fullest and went shopping with Chen and Sara.

On Monday , she and the rest of the team were given many praises and compliments throughout the day.

“Well of course it was great, I was in charge of it,” Taemin said cockily at lunch.

“You need to deflate your head,” Eunmi said. It was one of those times where she and Sara were sitting with Taemin and his friends.

“I’m sorry, I couldn’t hear you over the fond looks those girls over there were giving me,” Taemin said, looking to his other side.

Eunmi rolled her eyes and poked her salad.

“Here, FatMuffin, you can have this blueberry,” Taemin held it out to her.

“For the last time, I’m allergic!” Eunmi slapped his hand away.

“Oh my bad,” he grinned and put the blueberry in his mouth.

Lunch passed like that and soon Eunmi found herself back in class. Daehyun entered the classroom and sat down beside her, grinning.

“You did it!” he said, holding up a hand that Eunmi high fived. “It was good, you did well.”

“Thank you,” Eunmi smiled.

“Are you going to do something like that again?” he asked.

“Maybe,” Eunmi shrugged.

“You didn’t have fun?”

“Pft, learning dance moves from Taemin? You call that fun?”

Daehyun stared at her and she sighed, “Okay, it was a bit fun. Happy you wormed the answer out of me?”

Daehyun laughed and their lesson started. The afternoon dragged on and it was finally time to go home. The snow had cleared away so Eunmi walked home with Jongin and Taemin (who wanted to take the bus but was forced by Jongin to walk).

At the end of the day, Eunmi was waiting for Jongin and Taemin outside. She played with her phone and impatiently sighed.

“What took you so long?!” she asked as Jongin approached her.

“I’m not late, you’re early,” Jongin stated, looking around. “Hyung not here?”

“He’s writing a test I think so he’ll be late,” Eunmi replied, beginning a game of Candy Crush on her phone. Minutes passed and Jongin and Eunmi were still waiting.

“He better get perfect on this test he’s taking so long to finish,” Eunmi sad sourly.

Meanwhile, Taemin was calmly strolling out of his math class feeling very confident in the test he just wrote.

He went to his locker and gathered his things, feeling that if he took his time he would be able to annoy Eunmi even more.

As he slowly walked through the halls, Daehyun was turning the corner and heading for him. He stopped in front of Taemin.

“Your performance was good, I’m impressed,” he said with a small smile.

“Thanks,” Taemin said stiffly, thinking he wouldn’t have done it at all if hadn’t been for him.

Daehyun began to walk away but then Taemin caught up with him.

“I er, heard that you were the one who got Yeonhee to confess,” he said awkwardly.

“Who told you?” Daehyun looked at him.

“Er no one, I heard you talking to Eunmi the other day,” he said. “That was um, nice of you. Thanks.”

Daehyun smiled, “No problem.”

“Right, so er, I’ll go now,” Taemin turned around and walked outside quickly.

“Finally!” Eunmi said as he came closer to where she and Jongin were waiting. “You took so long! You’d better get a good mark!”

“Uhuh,” Taemin said distractedly, feeling light hearted. He felt like a weight had been lifted off of his chest. It was about time he had let go of his grudge against Daehyun anyways.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February 9th? Wowww it’s been a while.

Hehehe hiya

I’ve had half of this written for a month but I didn’t know what to write for the other half.

But the important thing is that I updated :)

So I have a test tomorrow, a test Tuesday, assignment due Wednesday, test Thursday, test Friday

Well hello Week of Hell

Oh and another assignment due Tuesday that my teacher told us about AFTER the bell rang. It was literally a 10 second explanation and then bam it’s due Tuesday, I don’t even know what we’re supposed to do…….

Hope it’s extended!

Anyways, I’ma go now, byebye~! :D