Chapter 24

The Singer, the Dancer, and the Jerk

Eunmi browsed through the watches on the shelf.

“This one is nice,” Sara pointed to a silver and black one. They were shopping after school and Eunmi was trying to pick something out for Daehyun.

“I guess,” Eunmi shrugged. She sighed, “Let’s go look at something else.”

“We’ve been at this for an hour, why don’t you just ask him what he wants?” Sara asked as they exited the fifth store they visited.

“Then he’ll know I’m looking for a present!” Eunmi exclaimed. “Then it’s not a surprise. I can’t just be like ‘Hey, Daehyun. Not that I’m planning this or anything, but if someone were to get you a present, what would you want?’”

“Fine fine,” Sara sighed. She pointed to another store, “Let’s look in there.”

After three more stores, there was still no results so Eunmi and Sara went home sipping their smoothies.

“See you tomorrow!” Sara waved. Eunmi waved back and Sara disappeared into her house. Eunmi walked down the street and opened the door to her house before entering it.

As expected, there was a commotion inside, as there always was when someone opened the door.

“HA! I GOT THAT ONE!” Taemin raised his arms in the air. Jongin and Taemin were playing virtual tennis.

“That’s my player, hyung,” Jongin said, pointing his tennis racket to the screen. “You’re the blue one, I’m green.”

Taemin’s face fell and Eunmi joined Taeyeon on the couch.

“And you call me stupid,” Jongin shook his head as they began another round.

“I want to play!” Eunmi said as she watched the two of them.

“Sure, FatMuffin,” Taemin swung and almost hit Eunmi’s face.

“Hey, watch it! You almost knocked my head off!” Eunmi leaned back.

“That was the point,” Taemin said as he scored a point.

“Jerk.”

“Is that the only name you have for me?”

“No. There’s also meanie, selfish brat, intolerable loser, brainless oaf-”  Eunmi listed them on her fingers before Taemin cut her off.

“How can you be so mean to me?!” he fake-sobbed. He was focused more on mocking Eunmi than the game.

Eunmi rolled her eyes, “Oh, please.”

“Hyung, you lost,” Jongin said as Jongin’s player was given a medal and Taemin’s player weeped in the corner.

Taemin’s jaw dropped, “This is your entire fault, FatMuffin!”

“Me?! It’s not my fault you don’t know how to play tennis,” Eunmi crossed her arms.

“You distracted me!”

Jongin threw the racket on the sofa and went into the kitchen to get something to eat.

“Play with me!” Eunmi took Jongin’s controller and stood up.

“Loser has to be the winner’s servant for the rest of the week,” Taemin challenged.

Eunmi hesitated.

“What’s wrong? Don’t think you’re good enough?”

“You’re on!” Eunmi started a new game.

“You idiot, I’m blue,” Taemin rolled his eyes as he watched Eunmi try to serve when it was Taemin’s turn to.

“Oh,” Eunmi stopped and waited for Taemin to make the first move.

“Well, this will be an easy win,”

Taemin relaxed on the sofa and began the match.

It was probably a match of virtual tennis with the most amount of arguing.

“You’re cheating!” Taemin yelled.

“How do you cheat at this?!”

“I don’t know, you’re the one doing it!”

They were tied in the third round, it was Taemin’s turn to serve again.

Unfortunately, Eunmi was tying a bracelet onto Taeyeon’s wrist and missed the chance to hit the ball.

“HA! LOSER!!!” Taemin ran around and did a crazy cheer. “LOSER, LOSER LOSERRRR! I WIN, YOU ARE MY SERVANT FOR THE WEEK! I AM THE KINGGG!”

“Not fair! I was helping Taeyeon!” Eunmi looked at him as Taeyeon went upstairs.

“Not my problem,” Taemin stopped running around and shrugged.

“But I wasn’t even paying attention!”

“That’s not my problem either, now go get me a bag of chips and an iced tea,” Taemin sat down on the sofa and started watching TV. “Chop chop.”

Eunmi glared at him and grumbled to herself as she went to the kitchen.

“You shouldn’t have made a bet with him,” Jongin said as Eunmi took an iced tea out of the fridge. He was eating a bowl of cereal at the table while playing Candy Crush on his phone.

“Nice of you to tell me.”

“You know you always lose when it comes to these things.”

“Thanks for pointing it out.”

“Now you have to be his servant.”

“GEE JONGIN, THANKS FOR POINTING OUT THINGS I WOULD HAVE NEVER FIGURED OUT! WOULD YOU LIKE THE 'WORLD'S BEST FACE-RUBBING' AWARD?!” Eunmi yelled as she slammed the cupboard open.

“Don’t get all mad at me now,” Jongin held his hands up in the air.

Eunmi squinted her eyes at him before taking the bag of chips and iced tea to him. She held them out to Taemin in the living room, “Is there anything else you need?”

“Excuse you, but I don’t take iced tea in a can,” Taemin took the bag of chips but not the drink. “You have to pour it in a fancy glass and then top it off with a lemon.”

“Yah, tell me a way out of this. Now,” Eunmi crossed her arms, still holding can.

“Do my homework for the entire week,” Taemin said. “The rest of the cherries are mine, and you have to sort my laundry. Oh and you have to call me ‘your highness.’”

“Done,” Eunmi took the bag of chips from him and went to the kitchen. She put the iced tea in the fridge and began eating the chips as she walked up to her room.  Anything beats being his servant..... then again, what I have to do now is like a servant's job.....

As she was studying for a math test on her bed, Taemin entered the room. He threw papers in front of Eunmi.

“My math, chem, literature, and physics homework,” he said. “Finish it.”

“Yah, how am I supposed to do all that?!” Eunmi cried, looking through the assigned questions. “I have to study!”

He shrugged, “Not really my problem. I know a great coffee place you could go to if you need to stay awake.”

“Why did you leave it till now?!”

“I wasn’t planning on doing it, but I just remembered my math teacher threatened me with a detention,” Taemin said.

“How am I supposed to do your chemistry work?! I’m not even studying that!” Eunmi exclaimed. “or literature.”

“Fine, I’ll take chem away,” Taemin took the chem. pile of work. “But you know how to answer literature questions, right?”

Eunmi sighed as she helplessly looked at him.

“Fine, I’ll knock off the ‘your highness’, as well,” Taemin shook his head. “Yah, you should be on your knees thanking me for being so understanding.”

“Shut up,” Eunmi muttered as she quickly began doing his homework.

Taemin smiled and patted her head (as Eunmi glared at him), “Good girl.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eunmi still had no idea what to buy Daehyun. She had considered asking Taemin or Jongin. They were guys after all, who better to ask about a present for a guy than a guy?

But she knew they would blow up and decided it would be better if she didn’t tell them.

One Thursday afternoon, at lunch, Eunmi was sitting in the cafeteria eating her lunch. Sara had to stay behind and finish one of her tests so she would be a bit late.

A tray dropped in front of her and she looked up.

Daehyun smiled at her as he sat down, “It’s not fun eating alone.”

“Sara’s coming.”

“Now you have two people to eat with!” Daehyun grinned.

“You know if Taemin sees you, he’ll destroy me at home,” Eunmi told him, watching Taemin’s back from where she was sitting.

“No he won’t.”

“You have no idea of his evilness.”

“Yes, I do,” Daehyun chuckled.

“You can go eat with your friends, I don’t really mind eating alone,” Eunmi said, taking a bite of her rice.

“I’m fine.”

Eunmi shrugged and they began to eat in silence.

“Can I ask you something?” Eunmi asked, breaking the silence. Other than what to buy as a gift for him, Eunmi was curious about another thing about him.

“What?” Daehyun curiously looked at her.

“Why did you suddenly say you would teach me? You know, those couple of weeks ago when Ms. Park died. You didn’t even know me that well and it was so random, why’d you say you do it?” Eunmi asked.

Daehyun stared at her, “You like to know everything, don’t you?”

Eunmi smiled and nodded. Daehyun hesitated and Eunmi peered at him, “If it’s personal, never mind.”

“Nah, it’s fine,” Daehyun shrugged. Just like when he told her about his dad, he didn’t feel like telling her was an issue.

Eunmi waited.

“Well, if you must know, I guess you could say my mom was my ‘singing teacher’ at one point,” he began. “She had a beautiful voice, and I kind of liked to sing too so we used to sing together. It was fun, singing with my mom,” he smiled at the memory. “A couple of years ago, there was a competition, like yours, and I entered it. She said she would help me and that we could just do it for fun. Soon, it became important to both of us that I do well. We practiced and prepared hard, we had fun and I learned a lot.”

He stopped there and swallowed. Eunmi waited for him to continue, forgetting about her food.

“But then, she uh, s-she died,” he managed to choke out. Eunmi’s eyes rounded in surprise. She shook her head and waved her arms, “Never mind, it’s okay. You don’t have to continue.”

“It was long ago, I’m fine,” he said. “So I didn’t enter the competition and it was then that my dad became a drug and alcohol addict. I didn’t really want to do anything related to singing after that. So I kind of, gave up. I had lost my teacher and my motivation. I practically quit. Anyways, so when I saw you that time, you kind of reminded me of me. I wanted to help you, just like my mom helped me and I wanted you to do well, just like my mom wanted me to.”

He smiled, “I know now how happy my mom would have been if I had entered and done well.”

Eunmi didn’t know what to say so she looked down and shoved a spoonful of soup in .

She began choking and Daehyun handed her some water.

“Thanks,” she choked and drank it.

“You don’t have to say anything,” Daehyun said. “It was no one’s fault, I’m just happy I get to do something I actually really like with someone who likes it as well.”

“I’m happy about that too,” Eunmi smiled.

He took a necklace out from under his shirt, “This used to be my mom’s bracelet. I took the charm and turned it into a necklace. It was her favourite. I never take it off, it stays with me all the time.”

Eunmi looked at it, it was a treble clef with a light blue gem at the bottom.

“Waaah, it’s pretty,” Eunmi smiled as Daehyun hid it under his shirt again. “So, while we’re talking about your life…. Might as well tell me why a certain turd-like creature dislikes you….”

Daehyun smirked and stood up, “Nice try. Your friend is coming, see you.”

Eunmi hadn’t really expected him to say anything about Taemin, but at least the information he had given her was helpful.

She knew exactly what she was going to buy him now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Soooo... hi.... hehehe.....

So clearly I'm a little late..... I should stop telling you guys when I'll update......

I'm sorry, okay T_T I have a lame excuse:

I'm watching I Hear Your Voice.... for those who are watching it or already have, you get me right?!

I'm almost done :)))) it's really good.

Anyways, I'm almost finished it so I won't have any distractions! Whenever I would want to write, I'd see the sitcky note on my laptop where the time/ep I'm on is written....... and I totally gave in.

All the girls in that drama are really pretty, normally I manage to find at least one.... not so visually appealing person... but this one has it all (Y) LOL Yoo Chang (the office guy or whatever) he's so funny and cute xD

I'm done rambling, sorry again, I actually did feel bad. To make up for it, I'll work hard on the rest of the fic~!

Oh! I created a new account for my one-shots, ilovelays2, I'm gunna post my oneshots there from now on. I'll inform you when there's a new one~! LOL do you guys get it? ilovelaystoo, ilovelaystwo.... XDDD

Byee~! :D

PS school in two weeks.... T_T.....