Chapter 27

The Singer, the Dancer, and the Jerk

“Hyung, hurry up!” Jongin called up the stairs. It was the following Saturday Taemin had been chosen to organize the performance. The three older ones were going to help out at Hyunki's restaurant. It had been a while since they did and they always loved visiting the restaurant.

“Okay okay!” Taemin came down the stairs fixing his hair. “It takes time to get to all this perfection.” He pointed to his face.

Eunmi rolled her eyes and put her shoes on.

“Just put your shoes on,” Jongin pushed Taemin to the shoe rack. The three of them bid Taeyeon and Ms. Kim goodbye and then went into the car where Hyunki was waiting.

When they got to the restaurant, Eunmi was the first one to excitedly exit the car. She pulled on the handles of the doors.

“It's not opening,” she scratched her head.

“Did you eat too many muffins last night?” Taemin snorted. “You're stupider than usual.”

“Abeoji has the key,” Jongin cocked his head towards Hyunki who was walked up to the door. He laughed and opened the front doors. Then he entered the password to open the second door.

“I want to change the open-close sign!” Jongin exclaimed.

“Okay, but first let's open the kitchen and un-stack the chairs. The lunch time rush will be here soon,” Hyunki said. Jongin and Taemin set the tables while Eunmi helped Hyunki in the kitchen. The other employees soon arrived and everything was set.


“Jongin, open sign!” Hyunki called from the front desk.

“Okay!” Jongin happily walked to the window and flipped the open-close sign, to open.

“Let's play a game,” Taemin suggested. The three of them took a seat at one of the tables. “Let's play truth or dare.”

He reconsidered, “Wait, let’s change that up. Dare or dare.”

Eunmi rolled her eyes.

“Fine, I'll add another option,” Taemin sighed as if he was doing everyone a great favour. “Dare, dare, or dare. You first, FatMuffin.”

Eunmi rolled her eyes again, “Well, it'll be hard to choose with all the variety. But I say dare.”

“Great!” Taemin grinned. “You have to-”

“No! I don't want you to choose my dare!” Eunmi exclaimed. “Jongin, you help too and make sure you remember all those times I helped you with homework.”

“Right,” Jongin smirked. “You have to dance to 'Gee' in front of the first customers.”

“No!” Eunmi shook her head.

“Yah you can’t object to a dare,” Taemin said.

“Well, I am,” Eunmi crossed her arms.

“Fine. First ten customers that come, you have to smile and greet them super happily,” Jongin said.

“Dude, that's so soft!” Taemin complained.

“Not the average “Hi, how may I help you?'“ Jongin shook his head. “Like this,” he planted a huge smile on his face. “Hello! How may I help you on this wonderful afternoon? The sun is shining and our cookers are working hard to please you! ”

Taemin burst into laughter, “You look and sound like an idiot. You mean act like a jolly jolly sunshine girl?”

“Exactly,” Jongin grinned.

“But that's weird,” Eunmi complained. “It's embarrassing.”

Taemin and Jongin both hit her.

“Too bad,” Jongin shrugged.

“Fine,” Eunmi sighed.

“Kay, kid. Dare, dare, or dare?” Taemin asked.

Jongin rolled his eyes, “Gee, I guess I'll pick dare.”

“You have to be a jolly jolly sunshine thing too!” Eunmi said immediately.

“Nooo,” Taemin waved it away. “You have to call the first customers 'hyung' or 'noona'.”

“What?! That's so stupid!” Jongin shook his head. “What if it’s a baby?! Or an old grandmother?!”

“No no, you have to call them oppa or unnie,” Eunmi grinned.

“Now you're thinking, FatMuffin!” Taemin high fived her.

“No,” Jongin said flatly. “Only hyung and noona.”

“Too bad, oppa or unnie,” Eunmi stuck her tongue out.

Jongin groaned and slouched in his seat, glaring at Eunmi and Taemin.

“Your turn,” Eunmi turned to Taemin. “Dare, dare, or dare?”

Taemin thought about it, “Well......”

“Taemin!”

“What? I have to choose wisely,” Taemin shrugged. He spent another minute 'thinking' and then responded, “Dare.”

Eunmi rolled her eyes for the nth time and said, “You have to wink at the first old lady that comes.”

“What?! That’s gross,” Taemin wrinkled his nose.

“ for you,” Eunmi shrugged.

“What are you three up to?” Hyunki asked, walking to their table.

“We're playing dare, dare, or dare,” Taemin said.

“No stupid dares that will interfere with business, right?” He raised an eyebrow.

“No,” the three chorused.

“I hope,” Taemin added. Shaking his head, Hyunki went back to the kitchen.

Soon, customers started arriving and the three of them fulfilled their dares. Eunmi had been landed with a strict looking-man who was in no mood for her cheerfulness so it made it all the more funny for Taemin and Jongin.

Jongin was extremely embarrassed when he had to called a boy who was a bit younger than him ‘hyung’ and an old lady ‘unnie’. Eunmi and Taemin thoroughly enjoyed ‘Cool Little Bro Jongin’ being embarrassed.

Taemin showed his ‘charms’ to an old woman and had ended up with a purse where the sun didn’t shine. Eunmi and Jongin weren’t able to stop laughing for a while.

It was the times that they did stupid and funny things together that they realized what a fun family they were.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was Monday after school and Taemin, Jongin, and Key were setting up in the dance studio for the try outs. It was quite simple, the girl who could dance and sing the best (for Taemin, who even looked the best), would get to be the lead in the song. It was supposed to be simple.

But it wasn’t.

“How many people are you expecting to come?” Key asked as he and Taemin carried a table to the back of the room. Jongin was setting up the chairs and papers.

Taemin shrugged, “I don’t know. A couple.”

“You didn’t post sign-up sheets?”

Taemin snorted, “No. Whoever wants to try out can come.”

“Aigooo, Lee Taemin,” Key shook his head.

“Whaaat? We’ll just write their names and phone numbers down,” Taemin shrugged.

“Whatever you say,” Key shrugged as Jongin opened the door to see if anyone was already waiting outside.

“Ummmm, guys?” Jongin said as he looked at the long line of girls waiting to try out. “There’s more than a couple.”

Key and Taemin poked their heads out the door and their eyes widened. There were at least 45 girls and more were lining up.

“Lee Taemin, we have to watch this many people?!” Key hissed as they closed the door again.

“I thought you said a couple!” Jongin exclaimed. “We’ll be here all night!”

“I didn’t know so many people would show up,” Taemin scratched his head.

Jongin and Key slapped their hands over their faces.

“Well, better get started,” Taemin said. He opened the door, “We are starting now! First person come in.”

He walked to the table where Key and Jongin were sitting and joined them.

The first girl was none other than Choi Yeonhee.

“Hi, oppa!” she exclaimed.

“Please, stop calling me oppa,” Taemin said in an annoyed voice. “There is only one person in this entire world that calls me oppa.”

“Who?!” Yeonhee demanded with her hands on her hips.

“……….My sister…..” Taemin said slowly. “Anyways, first sing a bit for us and then we’ll put on some music and you can show us some dance moves.”

“Yes, opp-”

“Just start,” Jongin cut her off.

She began singing ‘Gee’ and it wasn’t too bad at first, but her voice cracked too much.

Key cleared his throat, “Okay, um, not bad. Jongin, cue the music.”

Jongin nodded and pressed a button on the CD player that was beside him.

“I can’t dance,” Yeonhee blinked. Taemin slapped a hand over his face, “We asked for someone who can sing and dance. NEXT!”

The next girl was an amazing dancer and was also visually appealing.

“Wow, amazing!” Taemin clapped. “You got the part!”

“Taemin!” Key elbowed him. He looked at the girl, “Sing.”

The girl began singing an Ailee song, but failed miserably.

“Next!” Key called.

The next girl wasn’t bad at singing or dancing.

“You think you can do Only One?” Jongin asked.

“Only One?!” her eyes widened. “I can’t do that dance let alone sing the song as well!”

“We mentioned the song you were auditioning for when we made the announcement,” Key gritted his teeth. “If you couldn’t do it, why would you audition?”

“Well, I thought an opportunity to dance with the handsome young boy over there would-” she began, looking at Jongin.

“NEXT!” Jongin said loudly. He shuddered at the thought of her finishing her sentence.

Key, Jongin, and Taemin repeated that word quite a bit that evening.

“Next!”

“Nope, next!”

“NEXT!”

“My goodness, NEXT!”

“Could the next person please hurry up?!”

Most of the girls that had come had come to see either Taemin, Jongin, or Key. Or they could do one of singing and dancing and not the other. Or they had stage fright.

Or they just wanted to waste Key, Jongin, and Taemin’s time.

“If you cannot sing AND dance, PLEASE LEAVE!” Taemin said after the twentieth girl. There were about 35 more left and he groaned. He hadn’t known that these auditions would take so long.

Who knew it would be so hard to find a girl to do a short little performance?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Whoah, whoah , whoah, wait,” Daehyun shook his head as Eunmi stopped singing.

“What?”

“You were flat,” he said.

“Oh, oops,” she said sheepishly.

“Second chorus, go,” he said, leaning on the piano. Eunmi started again and Daehyun patiently listened. He had gotten a bit harder on Eunmi since she was going to have to step it up a notch to make it into the top four. The two of them were working hard during practices.

Daehyun clapped at the end, “Good, that one was good.”

Eunmi smiled and unscrewed the cap of her water bottle. Daehyun put the stuff away and handed Eunmi her iPod.

“So what’s going on at your house lately?” he asked.

“Taemin, Jongin, and Key are holding some try outs to see who can sing and dance to ‘Only One’ for the showcase,” Eunmi said, putting her iPod and water bottle in her bag.

“You should have gone!” Daehyun exclaimed.

“There are so many things wrong with that,” Eunmi rolled her eyes. “One, I can’t dance! Two, I already have a competition to prepare for. And three, ME AND TAEMING WORKING TOGETHER ON A SINGING AND DANCING PERFORMANCE?!” she yelled. “DOES IT MAKE SENSE?!”

Daehyun plugged his ears, “Okay okay, I got it. Gunna go to the doctors now and see if I’m deaf or not!” he said loudly before walking out of the room.

“Pft, I don’t scream that loud,” Eunmi muttered. She made sure everything was proper before leaving the music room as well.

She got home at around 6:30, and to her surprise, Taemin and Jongin weren’t home yet.

“Where are those two?” she asked her mother as she sat down beside her in the living room. Her mother and Taeyeon were watching Weekly Idol.

“Still at school,” Ms. Kim replied. “Jongin called an hour ago and said that they would be a little late. Apparently, many girls showed up.”

“Why?” Eunmi snorted. “Who in their right mind would want to dance with Taemin?”

At that moment, a tired Taemin and exhausted Jongin entered the house. They kicked their shoes off and went into the living room.

“Three hours,” Taemin held up three fingers. “We spent three hours watching talentless girls try to sing and dance in front of us.”

“We haven’t even found one who might be able to pull off an okay performance,” Jongin muttered as the two of them took over the sofas.

“You know what, forget the girl for now,” Taemin waved it away. “The performance is in the middle of March. I’ll find someone in like February. For now, us guys can just learn the moves. The back-ups are most important anyways.”

“How are we supposed to practice without a girl?!” Jongin argued. “And how are you going to the duet dance yourself?! The girl is the most important!”

“Blah blah blah,” Taemin buried his face in a cushion. “I’ll find someone later. We’ll learn the moves first and then we’ll spend the rest of the time until the showcase to help the girl.”

“Fine, but you have to find someone at least a month before the showcase,” Jongin said. He stood up and stretched, “I need food.”

Taemin followed Jongin to the kitchen and both of them chomped on whatever they could find.

Just like Lee Taemin to do the most important part of the project last. Eunmi shook her head.

What she didn’t know was that her efforts weren’t exactly going to pay off the way she expected.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hehehe, hi

It's been a week, but I'm pretty sure I've left the house each and every one of those days. I'm never in the mood to write on days I'm not at home a lot.

But today I did ^^ cuz I felt bad XD

I'm done with shopping for school (finally), I am really not looking forward to it T_T I hope I get good teachers!

So I have a perfect no-late record. I'm never late for class, like I'm not early but I'm not late. Anywho, one of my teachers last semester marked me late when I wasn't T_T And I only found out about it after I got my report card SOB. Why am I bringing this up now? I don't know....

Did ya hear about the boy who keeps asking why it's so dark? Some lady kidnapped him and took his eyeballs out.....

THAT IS SICK

Gosh, so inhumane, can't even believe there are such people in this world -.- And he's six... like whyy???

I hate hearing about stuff happening to little kids, I just can't stand itttt. Like if it's a teen, chances are it might have been cuz of something stupid (not always but sometimes) but an innocent little kid?

Makes me so mad >.<

I could rant on and on about this so I think I'll stop here before this gets outta hand.....

Byeee~~~