Chapter 21

The Singer, the Dancer, and the Jerk

“Unnie! Eomoni said you and Taemin oppa have to make me cookies,” Taeyeon tapped Eunmi’s hand Thursday after school. She was sitting in the living room watching Infinite on a variety show. Hyunki was sitting beside her reading the newspaper and Jongin was at an after school session for help in math.

“Hm, I could go with some cookies,” she nodded. She stood up and turned the TV off, not planning on bringing Taemin along in the kitchen.

“Taemin’s not bad in the kitchen, tell him to help you,” Hyunki said.

“Uhhh, me and Taemin, in the kitchen, making cookies, with lots of ingredients around us,” Eunmi raised an eyebrow. “You sure it’s a good idea?”

“Yeah, learn to work together,” Hyunki nodded and stood up. “I should get back to the restaurant, your mother should be back soon. Taemin! Come help Eunmi make cookies!” Hyunki called up the stairs.

“NO!”

“Or I will sign up you up for English classes,” Hyunki threatened.

“Coming!” two minutes later, Taemin was at the foot of the stairs.

“Good, now I want the house in one piece when I get back!” he reminded before he left the house.

“Go go go go,” Taeyeon pushed both of them into the kitchen. “I want cookies!”

“Geez, Yeon,” Taemin said. “So pushy.”

Taeyeon ran out of the kitchen and into the living room to watch TV.

“I’ll get the ingredients, take the mixer out,” Eunmi said, opening the fridge to get eggs and butter.

“Don’t tell me what to do,” Taemin snorted, but took the mixer out anyways. He pre heated the oven after that.

“Okay, eggs, white sugar, and brown sugar,” Eunmi murmured to herself as she took them out from the cupboard.  She took measuring cups out and began measuring the ingredients.

“You actually measure the ingredients?” Taemin burst out laughing.

“What?” Eunmi blinked.

Taemin pushed her away, “A real chef-baker-person thing knows how much to put in without measuring cups.” He began to pour the ingredients in using his own knowledge.

“Hey wait! What if you add too much or too less of something?” Eunmi asked.

“Don’t worry, I know how much of each we need,” Taemin poured ingredients into the mixing bowl.

“I want to mix it!” Eunmi pushed him away and turned the mixer on.

“Childish much,” Taemin rolled his eyes. “Go bring something to crack the eggs in. And where’s the vanilla?”

Eunmi turned the mixer off and grabbed the eggs, “I want to crack them!”

She banged it on the counter and messily broke it open, pouring the contents into a bowl.

Taemin shook his head, “That was very messy and ungraceful.”

“Then you do it, Mr. Know-it-all,” Eunmi huffed, handing him the second egg.

Taemin smiled, “Let me show you how it’s done, princess.”

He gently hit the egg against the counter twice. In a nice and smooth way, he broke it open and poured the egg into the bowl with Eunmi’s.

“Where did you learn to crack an egg?” Eunmi asked, amazed.

“Appa taught me,” Taemin shrugged. “I’m very good in the kitchen.” He grinned proudly.

“Whatever,” Eunmi measured the vanilla and put it into the eggs.

“Wait!” Taemin stopped her from putting the eggs and vanilla into the mixing bowl that held the butter and sugars.

“What?” Eunmi blinked, putting it down.

“Flour, salt, baking powder and soda first,” Taemin ordered.

“Who made you in charge of the kitchen?” Eunmi snorted, pouring the flour and the other things in a second bowl, dropping some of the dry ingredients along the way.

“Welllll considering the fact that you can’t even crack an egg…..” Taemin trailed off.

“Oh shut up,” Eunmi pushed him away and put the flour and things into the butter and sugars.

“Mix mix mix it well, in the silver bowl,” Eunmi made a song in the tune of ‘Row row row your boat’. “Merrily merrily merrily merrily, cookies are really gooood.”

Taemin burst out laughing, “Wow, some singer-songwriter you are,” he snorted before adding the eggs and vanilla in and mixing it.

“It’ll be a hit!” Eunmi stuck her tongue out. “Bigger than Gangnam Style!”

“You do that,” Taemin nodded and stopped the mixer. “I think it’s ready.”

“I’ll make the little balls!” Eunmi scooped some of the dough.

“You sure?”

“Yeah and ou! In the shape of cute little flowers!” she excitedly rummaged through the drawers for a flower shaped cookie cutter with the dough in one hand. Taemin took a tray out and put parchment paper on it.

“Yay! Found one!” she put the dough on the parchment paper and cut a flower shaped cookie.

“Now, what looks wrong with that?” Taemin asked, staring at the plain cookie.

“Nothing, it’s a cute flower,” Eunmi said in a duh-voice.

Taemin waited for her to realize the problem.

“Whaaat? It’s beautiful! One of the nicest flower shaped chocolate chip cookies-” then she realized what was missing. “Oh.”

“Yeah,” Taemin mushed her flower up from her hand and put it back in the mixing bowl with the dough. “How do you forget the chocolate chips?”

“I was too busy worrying about the flower!”

“Whatever,” Taemin found a bag of chocolate chips and dumped a whole bunch into the dough.

“That’s a lot,” Eunmi commented.

“The more, the better,” Taemin grinned.

“Stop! That’s too many!” Eunmi complained, reaching for the chocolate chips.

“Don’t be such a grandma!” Taemin tried to push her away. In the end, Taemin and Eunmi managed to drop the chocolate chips on the floor. On the bright side, there weren’t too many or too little in the dough.

“Great going, clean that up,” Taemin pushed her again and mixed the chocolate chip sin the dough properly.

“You do it!”

“Hurry up!”

Eunmi grumbled to herself as she quickly broomed the chocolate chips to one side of the kitchen. When she finished, she stood beside Taemin and took a chunk of the dough to shape it into a flower.

“Time for flowers!” she said excitedly, taking some dough and putting it on the tray.

“It’s not going to stay as a flower, it’ll become a giant potato cookie,” Taemin said.

“Shut up. Leave me alone,” Eunmi elbowed him and cut out a flower using the cookie cutter.

“Look look look!” Eunmi slapped his arm and pointed to the flower-shaped cookie.

Taemin glanced at it carelessly, “Cute. Now hurry up, we don’t have all day to stand here and wait for you to make cutesy flower cookies.”

Eunmi mimicked him but hurried up. In the end, she made some flower cookies but got lazy and just made regular ones. She put them in the oven and set the timer.

“Great, now clean all this up,” Taemin pointed to the huge mess that had been made.

“Whoah, there was not this big of a mess two minutes ago,” Eunmi said, looking around. They hadn’t really been paying attention to the cleanliness of the kitchen.

Taemin strolled out of the kitchen but Eunmi dragged him back, “You’re not going anywhere. Help me clean this up.”

Taemin sighed and began wiping the counter clear of the tiny dough pieces as Eunmi cleaned the flour she dropped earlier.

Taemin began flicking pieces of dough into her hair. Eunmi didn’t notice until the tiny bits began to fall from her head.

“YAH! LEE TAEMIN!” she shook her head to get the dough pieces out while Taemin snickered.

Eunmi picked up the flour she cleaned from the counter and threw it at him. She rubbed her floury hands over his shirt.

“Yah! This is a new shirt!” Taemin picked some chocolate chips up from the floor and threw them at her. It was going to get very messy, very fast.

A couple of minutes later, during their little food fight, the phone rang.

“Hello?” Eunmi wiped butter from her forehead.

“Eunmi, I’m coming home soon, is there anything you need? I’m at the market,” Ms. Kim spoke.

Eunmi’s eyes widened, “Oh, uh, we could use some junk food, just get whatever you think we’ll like. Take your time, bye!” she quickly hung up and looked at Taemin.

They both looked at the bigger mess that was now in the kitchen. The cookie ingredients were all over the place. Flour stains here and there, chocolate chips on the floor, butter smears everywhere.

“Umma’s coming home soon, we need to clean this up. NOW!” Eunmi grabbed the cloth that was on the floor.

Taemin’s eyes became alert as well and they both began to quickly clean the mess up.

Just as Eunmi wiped the last bit of butter off of the floor, the door opened and Ms. Kim came in holding groceries.

She entered the kitchen with two bags and looked at Eunmi and Taemin. They were both covered head to toe in flour, butter, and sugar.

She raised an eyebrow, “What have you two been up to?” she asked, taking note of the sparkling kitchen.

“Nothing!” they both answered quickly.

“Just making cookies,” Eunmi nervously smiled. “Definitely not fighting or making a mess.”

Taemin elbowed her and smiled at Ms. Kim, “Better check on the cookies.” He glanced at the oven. “Oh, there’s still five minutes. Better go clean myself up.” he dashed out of the kitchen.

“Yeah, me too,” Eunmi followed him. Taeyeon had fallen asleep on the couch.

Ms. Kim watched the two of them go upstairs. They definitely fought.

When they came downstairs, Eunmi took the cookies out of the oven.

“Ha! They’re still in flower form!” she stuck her tongue out at Taemin and put the tray on the counter to let the cookies cool.  

At that moment, Jongin had come home and he entered the kitchen.

“They’re still messed up flowers,” Taemin rolled his eyes.

“SO?! Still flowers!” Eunmi huffed.

Jongin looked between the tray that was on the counter and Eunmi and Taemin who were standing near it.

“You guys made cookies together?” his eyes widened in surprise. He looked at the kitchen, “And this place is clean?!”

“Oh, they fought,” Ms. Kim spoke up. She was washing dishes in the sink. “Notice how the kitchen is cleaner than usual.”

Taemin and Eunmi looked at Ms. Kim, “You noticed?”

“You thought I wouldn’t after I saw how the two of you were standing so nicely in a really clean kitchen?” she raised an eyebrow.

“True,” Taemin nodded. “Hey, Yeon is sleeping. She made us make these cookies and she went to sleep!”

“I’ll eat them,” Jongin took two cookies and began eating one.

“Jongin! They’re still hot-” but Eunmi’s warning was useless because he yelped, “Oh my God, hot hot hot!” he threw the cookies back onto the tray.

Taemin laughed loudly, “Wow, kid. You’re such an idiot.”

Eunmi shook her head while Jongin stuck his tongue out.

“Look, Jongin! I made them into flowers!” Eunmi pointed at the flower shaped cookies.

Jongin carelessly glanced at them exactly like Taemin did, “Cute. But I don’t have all day to stand here and admire sloppy flower shaped cookies.”

Taemin high-fived him and they both walked out of the kitchen.

“You guys ! Only a proper person would appreciate the flowery-ness of my cookies!” Eunmi called after them.

“We made them together!” Taemin called back.

Eunmi stopped and scratched her head.

Yeah… we did.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That weekend, all Eunmi did was practice for her audition which was on Wednesday. The entire household had heard Good Day to last them a life time.

“Daehyun told me to drink a lot of water,” Eunmi told her mother as she gulped down her nth glass of water that Sunday. Since it was no longer a secret from Taemin, it was no longer a secret from anyone. Her mother was fine with it as long as Eunmi wasn’t affected in a negative way. They were just singing, afterall.

“What if you blow up into an ocean because you drank so much water?” Jongin asked, he was eating an orange at the table with Taeyeon.

“You are such a little weirdo, Jongin,” Eunmi remarked.

“In science class on Friday, my teacher blew something up. It was small though,” Jongin said sadly as everyone turned to stare at him.

“I think it’s a phase,” Eunmi concluded, referring to his strange obsession with explosions. “I’m going to go practice the piano for an hour or so, later!” she walked out of the kitchen and put her shoes on before leaving the house. Daehyun had practiced with her all day yesterday, but he said he was busy on Sunday.

I wonder what he’s so busy with. Eunmi thought as she entered the room she and Daehyun practiced in.

She didn’t think much of it and sat down in front of the piano. She flexed her fingers before playing and singing along. She didn’t have too much trouble with the piano, the song wasn’t that difficult for her. She practiced over and over again until got dry and she needed water again.

“Hey, that sounds really good,” someone said from behind her. Eunmi turned around and saw Sehun standing there with a friendly smile on his face at the door.  Eunmi had gotten to know Sehun better when he and Jongin had filmed a project at their house a few days ago.

“Oh, hi Sehun. Thanks,” she smiled.

He walked over to her and looked at the music sheets, “Are you just doing this for fun or??”

“A competition,” Eunmi clarified. “I’m entering it just for fun, but I really want to do well.”

“I’m sure you will, you have a really nice voice,” he smiled.

“Aw, thanks Sehun,” she ruffled his hair and stood up. “I’m going home now, you want to come? Jongin’s home.”

He shook his head, “I was just trying to find my way to the main building. This place is pretty confusing.”

Eunmi laughed, “I’ve gotten lost a lot too. Come, I’ll show you where to go.”

She led Sehun to the newer part of the building, near the front desk and close to the offices of the community centre.

“Thanks, noona. I would have wandered off to the basement or something,” he said sheepishly.

“No problem,” Eunmi said.

“Good luck with the competition. I’m sure you’ll do great! Fighting!” he held his fist up and smiled before heading to one of the offices.

“Thanks!” Eunmi called before leaving the building. As she was walking home, she began to feel the pressure of the competition and realized how close it was. The nervousness was building up inside of her.

When she got home, she began to think about the competition she was up against. It was a big competition and many people would be auditioning.

There are probably so many talented singers trying out…. There’s no way I’ll make the first cut. I’ll be lucky enough to get some feedback!

Suddenly, the tiny bit of confidence inside of her was beginning to leave.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heeyyy

A light-hearted chapter :)

So guys, Kai has finally surpassed Taemin in terms of tags. There are more fics about Kai than Taemin D:

Not that I mind, but I'm a Taemin fan first so yeah. I took the kai tag out a couple chapters ago, I didn't want to be supporting his rise of fanfics.

LOLOL that sounds so stupid.

But I've accepted it now, besides they're pretty close in numbers and their friends in real life and I love them both so I guess it's okay :P

Oh I found the funniest Taemin video and I have to share it with you guys :) Well, I found it really funny :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goAe0iqq2zM

LOLOL I DIEDDD, THE ENDING OMG

Well, this note was more fun than the last :D

Do you think Eunmi will do well at the audition?

Omg I have no idea if it's a competition or audition... it's an audition for a competition..... There we go~! The competition would be between the top four (if Eunmi makes it there (; )

Byebye~!