Chapter 7

The Singer, the Dancer, and the Jerk

Eunmi's eyes widened. I didn't know he could sing.

Unknowingly, she slowly and quietly began to edge into the room. It was a big room, instruments everywhere. The piano and Daehyun were in towards a corner to the right.

Woooowww. She was awed. Never in her life had she heard such a beautiful voice.

Daehyun ended the song and put his hands in his laps, deep in his thoughts. Eunmi hadn't noticed that the song ended. His voice was replaying in her mind.

“You know, you're not very good at being quiet and sneaky.” Daehyun said, not even turning around.

Eunmi jumped and nearly peed in her pants. She turned red, “I-uh, I got lost and uh, you sound really good!” She blurted. She covered immediately after that.

He chuckled quietly, still not facing her. Eunmi bit her lip and moved her hand, she slowly walked to the piano he was sitting in front of.

“I didn't know you could sing.” She said, standing behind him.

“I didn't know you were a snoop.”

She turned red all over again, “S-sorry about that. You were really good though, I couldn't help it.” She said sheepishly.

“It's okay.” He chuckled again. “I didn't really want anyone to know I sing. It's one of those things I like to keep to myself and do on my own. That's why I come to this part of this place, no one comes here, so no one will find out.”

She bit her lip, “Ahhh, well I'm sorry I find out.”

He turned around and looked at her, “It's okay, you can't tell anyone though.”

She nodded obediently.

He pushed the seat back and stood up. He put his hands in his pockets and headed to the door.

Eunmi then remembered why she was there in the first place.

“Wait!” She called after him. He stopped.

“Could you, uh, show me where the music room is? I got lost and I need to sign up for the competition.” She said sheepishly.

“Follow me.” He walked out and Eunmi scrambled after him.

She walked beside him in silence and he led her to the music room in the newer part of the centre.

“Here it is.” He said, stopping in front of a door.

“Thanks!” Eunmi smiled gratefully.

“Whatever.” He mumbled, turning away.

“Wait!” She called again.

He turned around, “What?”

“You should audition too! Your voice is great!” She exclaimed.

He smiled and shook his head, “Nope. These kinds of things are for lame people.” He joked and turned away.

“Oh, okay.” She nodded. “Bye!” She added when he walked away.

As she was about to open the door, she realized what he had said.

“HEY!” She yelled.

He laughed loudly as he turned the corner, “Later!”

Eunmi pouted as she opened the door to the music room. There was a woman polishing a piano in there.

Eunmi bowed before walking to the sign-up sheet that was posted near the wall next to a filing cabinet.

She picked the pen that was attached to the clip board up and wrote her name. She looked at the other many names on the sheet.

She saw Chen's name and smiled. Obviously he'd sign up; it would be a crime if he didn’t with that talent.  

She put the pen down and walked out. She bowed at the woman at the front desk and headed home.

I hope I do good at the audition! She thought as she walked home.

When she walked in through the front door, Jongin was giving Taeyeon piggy back rides.

“Faster oppa! Faster!” She yelled giddily.

“Okay, get ready!” He sped up the stairs with her arms wrapped tightly around his neck.

Eunmi smiled and walked into the living room. Taemin was watching TV.

“Is abeoji home?” She asked, sitting down.

He nodded, not taking his eyes off the TV. Eunmi glanced at the TV and saw a girl group performance. She rolled her eyes. Of course.

“Dinner!” Ms. Kim called from the kitchen. Eunmi got up and heading to the dining room, followed by a reluctant Taemin. Jongin carried Taeyeon in and everyone sat down and began eating.

“Jongin, where did you go today?” Eunmi asked him directly while he was putting noodles in his mouth. He almost choked and replied, “Ogh, dyou shkow, hout.”

All the attention was on him now.

“Dude, eat first.” Taemin advised. Jongin swallowed and answered, “I was, ya know, out.”

“Out where?” Eunmi emphasized.

“On a walk.” He shrugged.

“Then why were you in a rush?” She questioned.

“Because my friend was outside waiting for me.” He shrugged again.

“Mhmmmm.”

“So, I hear that you two sit near each other in physics.” Hyunki grinned at Taemin and Eunmi.

“I know! Abeoji you totally jinxed it. Completely.” Eunmi nodded.

“Yeah!” Taemin agreed. “And the girl beside me is crazy. I'm sandwiched between losers.”

“Shut up!” Eunmi stuck her tongue out.

Eunmi finished her food and stood up. “I have to finish some of my homework.” She put her plate away and went upstairs.

“Oppa, watch cartoons with me!” Taeyeon said to Taemin when everyone else finished their food as well.

“Yeon, cartoons are boring.” Taemin said bluntly, getting up and putting both of their plates away. Taeyeon followed him. Taemin grinned mischievously and turned around from the sink.

“Let's play monster! ARGGGHHHH!” He made monster noises and chased her out of the kitchen.

“Ahhh!” She screamed and ran upstairs. Ms. Kim was cleaning the kitchen and Hyunki was watching the news. Jongin had gone upstairs to print his notes for science class.

Taeyeon laughed as she ran around all of the upstairs, trying to run from Taemin who was purposely running slower than he could.

“Unnie!” She yelped as she ran into Eunmi's room. “Oppa's chasing me! He's a monster!”

“Really? You better hide then.” She told her, punching some numbers into her calculator. Taeyeon ran and hid behind the side of Eunmi's dresser.

“I'M GONNA GET YOUUUU!” Taemin came into Eunmi's room. He found her in her hiding spot and she screamed.

“I GOT YOUUUU.” He picked her up and spun her around. Then he pretended to eat her. “NOM NOM NOM. GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE.”

Taeyeon laughed and tried to jump out of his arms.

“Now for your punishment!” Taemin threw her on the bed and began tickling her.

Taeyeon laughed and tried to get him to stop.

“U-unnie! Tell him to-HAHAHA- stop!” She squealed.

“No!” Taemin picked her up again and ran out of the room to Taeyeon’s.
    
Eunmi smiled as she closed her textbook. It was cute how Taemin was playing with her.

It was not cute that he had deliberately stepped on her homework after it flew to the ground when he jumped on the bed.

“Okay, Yeon, go to sleep now.” Taemin said after he finished 'getting his revenge'.

“Okay, oppa!” She jumped off her bed and into the bathroom to brush her teeth.

Taemin went to Jongin's room and -surprisingly- he was sleeping. It was only 9:30.

Taemin furrowed his eyebrows. What did he do today that he's so sleepy?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Friday, Eunmi was sitting in physics doing the work her teacher had assigned. They had a supply teacher that day, and that meant one thing: trouble.

“Um, excuse me.” The supply teacher, Mrs. Wang cleared . She was a Chinese supply teacher, which meant that she had an accent, which meant that the students would behave even more out of control. “Do your work.” She said to Taemin.

“I already did.”

“It’s only been five minutes, show me.” She said strictly, walking to his desk.  

“Look at this.” He picked the textbook up. “I wrote this entire thing!”

The class, that was now paying attention to Taemin’s shenanigans, laughed loudly.

“No, you didn’t.” she gave him a look.

“Yes, I did. I’m a kid genius.” Taemin said cockily.

“Yah, Taemin.” Eunmi gave him a look. “Stop giving her a hard time.”

“Excuse me, I am a very talented author who wrote this entire textbook.” Taemin grinned.

“Start your work.” Mrs. Wang said to Taemin. “I’m going to take attendance.” She walked back to her desk and picked the attendance sheet up.

“Choi Yeonhee.” Mrs. Wang she called.

“HERE!” Taemin raised his hand. The class laughed again. Eunmi and Daehyun rolled their eyes.

“You are not Yeonhee.” Mrs. Wang said to him.

“Yes, I am.” He said in a high-pitched voice. Yeonhee laughed really loudly and crazily.

“Excuse me, please stop your foolishness.” Mrs. Wang glared at him.

“My foolishness?!” Taemin cried incredulously. “You are the one who refuses to accept that I'm a genius and that my name is a little… feminine.” The class roared with laughter again. Class clown of the year? Of high school? Of the century? Yup, that was Taemin.

“Miss, let me help you.” Eunmi glared at Taemin and got up from her seat to help the poor supply.

Taemin snickered and Yeonhee slapped his arm, “WOW OPPA! YOU’RE SO FUNNY!”

“Hah, yeah.” Taemin’s smile vanished and he turned away to play on his phone.

When attendance finished, Eunmi went back to her seat to work.

“Please start working, young man.” Mrs. Wang ordered Taemin. Even Daehyun had taken his books out.

“I told you! I wrote the textbook!” Taemin exclaimed.

“No!” she said crossly.

“‘No’ what? I wrote the textbook, that means I’m exempt from working.” Taemin nodded.

“I will tell your teacher about the nonsense you are saying.” She threatened.

“Tell her I said hi too.”

“Do your work or I will send you to the principal!” Mrs. Wang yelled.

“Me and the principal are buds, he was the co-author of the textbook.” Taemin smirked. The class laughed again.

“Please!” Mrs. Wang said, frustrated to the point where she looked like she would cry.

Taemin raised an eyebrow and let out an exaggerated sigh, “Fine, I’ll do some work. I’ll answer the questions that I wrote.”

“Thank you!” Mrs. Wang sighed and went back to the front desk.

“You are so difficult.” Eunmi gave him a look. “Why are you giving the supply teacher a hard time?!”

“Why is she not accepting the fact I’m smarter than her?”

Eunmi shook her head and went back to her work. Taemin put his textbook up and starting playing on his phone.

“You live with him?” Daehyun asked her. After the little incident at the community centre, she knew one of his secrets. He didn’t feel all that odd around her anymore (like he did with anyone else he didn’t know). For some reason, he felt comfortable with her. It was weird to him.

“Yeaaahh.” Eunmi sighed.

Daehyun almost laughed, “Must be fun.”

“Not really.” Eunmi mumbled. “Wanna do this together?” she asked him cheerfully.

Daehyun looked away and cleared his throat, “Whatever.”

“Kay, let’s start!” Eunmi moved her textbook closer to him, dropping half of her papers on the floor.

“Oops.” She ducked her head and bent down to pick them up with Daehyun’s help.

“Thanks.” She smiled. “You seem to help me in these situations a lot….”

“By these situations you mean you being clumsy?” Daehyun raised an eyebrow.

“Excuse me, I’m not clumsy. I just….. like to test gravity.” She huffed. In truth, she wasn’t clumsy. But she was when Daehyun was around.

“Sure.” Daehyun said sarcastically. Then he smiled and both of them began working on the problems. Normally, he would do half of the questions and not do the rest of the work, but Eunmi pushed him to do them all.

Taemin noticed this little interaction, and he didn’t care.

But he did....... if that makes sense. He didn’t trust or like Daehyun one bit. It was bothering him how Eunmi was getting closer to him. Someone was going to get hurt.

Besides, the guy was so mysterious. Who knows what he did outside of school-even in school- and those rumours about him were not helping.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Nice rainbow, Yeon.” Taemin commented on Taeyeon's painting, standing behind her at her desk on Saturday morning. Ms. Kim was at work for the morning and Hyunki was downstairs.

“It’s not a rainbow! It’s a flower!” Taeyeon pouted at him.

“Oh.” Taemin scratched his head. “Keep working, little girl.” He patted her head and left the room.

Eunmi was singing Good Day in her room and Taemin decided to join her.

“I’M IN MY DRRREEEEEE-EEEE-” Taemin sang as he entered her room.

Eunmi gave him a look, “Please, Taemin! I’m trying to practice! I want to know this whole song before I go to Ms. Park on Tuesday.” Ms. Park had only been away for a few days, but Eunmi wanted to talk to her so badly. She had so many questions and wanted feedback from her. Besides, she just loved talking to her singing teacher. Ms. Park was amazing in Eunmi’s opinion. She was outgoing, nice, and you could always relate to her, or she could relate to you.

“I just feel like singing.” Taemin shrugged. Then he came up with an idea, “Hey, how funny would it be if your audition was totally messed up?”

“Not funny at all!” Eunmi crossed her arms. “I’m telling you, Taemin, stay away!”

Taemin smiled and then stepped into her room with serious eyes, “So, I saw you getting along with Daehyun in class.”

“Yeah, so?” Eunmi didn’t really pay attention to what he was saying, she was looking through her papers.

“So, you shouldn’t.”

Eunmi put her papers down, “Why? Cuz you don’t get along with him?”

“No, because he’s bad news.” Taemin said hardly. “You don’t want to mix with his kind.”

“Mix with his kind? He’s not a monster, we’re seatmates. But whatever.” Eunmi out her papers on her dresser and sat down on her bed. Taemin rolled his eyes and went to Jongin’s room to see if he wanted to go to the dance studio.

Eunmi’s phone vibrated, she had received a text from Chen.

[Received at 11:43] Hey, Eunnie. What’re you up to?

[Sent at 11:43] Nothing much. I was practising for the audition before Taemin interrupted me. I saw your name on the sign-up sheet. What song are you doing?

[Received at 11:44] You’ll like this… I’m doing Infinite’s Fixed Star. What about you?

[Sent at 11:44] REALLY?! WOW! THAT’S AN AMAZING SONG, I LOVE INFINITE <33 Ahem, I’m sure you’ll sing it beautifully. I’m doing Good Day.

[Received at 11:44]‘REALLY?! WOW! THAT’S AN AMAZING SONG, I LOVE IU <33 Ahem, I’m sure you’ll sing it beautifully.’ ;) Marshmallow, marshmallow~

Eunmi laughed at Chen’s silliness. This guy always makes my day. She put her phone in her pocket and stood up.

“Yo, lamey-mc-sings-a lot.” Taemin entered her room again. “Where’s the kid?”

“Taeyeon’s in her room.” Eunmi gave him a weird look and brushed past him.

“Not her. The other kid.” Taemin rolled his eyes.

“I’m not sure, I thought you would know.” Eunmi said. Both of them went downstairs.

“Appa, where’s Jongin?” Taemin asked his dad who was reading the newspaper in the living room.

“He said he was going out with his friend. Sehun was his name, I think.” Hyunki replied, doing the crossword in the paper.

“Oh, okay.” Taemin nodded, going into the kitchen.

“Who’s Sehun?” Eunmi asked Taemin.

“His friend. Duh.” Taemin rolled his eyes “Now, could you step back a few feet? I’ve been near you too much in the past 5 minutes.”

“I wanna meet him!”

“Please, woman. Give the man some space.” Taemin rolled his eyes. “Sehun’s not a trouble-maker, but he isn’t a goodie-goodie either. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go beg Minho hyung to buy me some street food.” He took a water bottle from the fridge and left.

“Don’t do anything stupid!” Eunmi yelled after him, but she knew full well that he would anyways.

“Unnie! Look at my painting!” Taeyeon bounded down the stairs and into the kitchen.

“Wow, Yeon, it’s a beautiful rainbow.” Eunmi smiled and ruffled her hair.

“It’s a flower!” Taeyeon stomped her feet.

“Oh.” Eunmi’s smile vanished. “Ummm, it’s beautiful, Yeon.”

“Oppa told me to keep working on it.” Taeyeon pouted. “It's not even finished!”

“It’s because oppa doesn’t even know how to hold a paintbrush. He's just jealous.” Eunmi snorted.

Taeyeon laughed and sat on the kitchen table to finish her painting.

Eunmi’s cell phone rang and she quickly answered it.

“Hello?”

“E-Eunmi-” Chen stuttered. “M-Ms. Park, she’s- she was in an accident, a bad one.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hiya!
So, Eunmi's physics class is an example of my science class once upon a time.

Man, that class was a nightmare. And guess who sat beside the class clown? Me. He was nice to me though (:

Well, this class clown was much nicer than Taemin, but the disrespect to the teacher? Almost the same. But I have to say, that science class was fuuuuuun.

I'm addicted to chocolate milk <3

Toodles~! And don't forget to comment! :D