Take a chance

The War of Hope

Pyongyang 1952 

Today was it. Yoona looked outside her bedroom window. The skies were grey with not a tint of happiness. She sighed as she looked to her faded leather suitcase. Luhan agreed to her to China, where her parents were staying until the war was over. She had been told to pack. But there wasn't anything. She had lost everything the moment she crossed the 38th parallel. 

She brushed her long milk brown hair and washed her face with soap that smelled of eucalyptus. She put on a crisp white blouse and a light pink skirt. She wanted to look some what presentable to her parents. She looked back into the mirror above the sink. The figure who reflected back wasn't the Yoona she once used to know. She had luscious hair that flowed. Her doe eyes seemed to have matured into the eyes of a goddess. But her cheek bones looked frail and her expression was unhappy. 

She thought what Sehun would say when he would see her, 'noona I never thought you could become any skinnier!' 'I'm going to make you a whole feast when we go home!'. A chuckle escaped from Yoona's lips. Her small smile soon fell as she heard voices coming from outside the door. Curiously as she got closer, she realized they were coming from Jongin's room.

"I wanted to let go of Yoona so much. She deserved so much better than me. I saw how happy she was with you.  You healed her heart when I couldn't. I almost thought you were better for her than I. You're a bastard Jongin." Luhan shrieked.

"You don't get it." 

"You know, there's much more to the history between Yoona and I. I haven't told you the entire story. There's a reason why I never gave up on her."

"Go on." Jongin insisted. 

"I've met her before that ball. My family was visiting South Korea for a business trip. Coincidentally that was the day I fell in love with her. I was depressed during that time because my bestfriend had passed away from cancer. I never told her about it, but she knew. Before I could introduce myself, she ran and hugged me. It was a warm embrace. I never felt something like it. She never let me go- until I started crying. She read me like an open book. But it was what she said to me that made really break. 'Just close you're eyes and let it go.' So I did. I probably bawled my eyes for hours. She held me for hours while I cried. She never let me go." 

Jongin was speechless. Something had hit him. He never really knew the real Yoona. It saddened him but he was glad Luhan had a piece of love to hold onto. 

"Yoona loves both of us. But I hope she makes her decision before something happens." Luhan mumbled.

"I never said I've given up on Yoona. I love her. She's my first and I want her to make me her last. If she chooses me I would go back to her in a heartbeat. But she's unstable right now. She has more important things to think about than her love life. But I'll wait for her." Jongin boldly remarked. 

"But would you change for her? Give up everything? "

"Yes."

"I wouldn't. No matter how selfish and sinister I might be."

Jongin was again shocked. He always thought Luhan's world revolved around Yoona. They were polar opposites. The Chinese general was indeed selfish. He wasn't sorry. 

"Then let her choose." Jongin replied.

Yoona could only sink onto the wooden floor. She already knew what her heart decided. But she didnt want to break the poor boy's heart.

 

***

"I'm ready." 

"In 10 minutes." 

After 2 and a half years it was finally over. She was going home. To her family. She felt happy but at the same time mysteriously nostalgic. 

"Um Luhan?"

"Yeah?"

"Can I talk with Jongin? It won't take long." 

"Of course. He's in his room." Luhan replied nervously. He suddenly felt butterflies in his stomach. Could she be confessing to him?

Yoona nodded as she walked towards Jongin's chamber. She knocked three times before he answered.

"Yes?" he gruffly asked.

"Can I come in?" 

"S-sure." 

She quietly took steps towars him. He was sitting in his desk, perhaps writing war plans. 

"I just wanted to say- thank you for everything. You let me live. You showed me kindness. You showed me hope.  You showed my love Jongin." 

"I kind of owed you." 

"This is yours." she sadly said as she handed him a big leather case. It was the violin he gifted to her. 

"Live your life Jongin ah." 

She hugged the Korean once more before turning her back.

"Just tell me you loved me. Please." he begged. 

"I- I love you. I love you so much. I can't let you go. Kiss me Kim Jongin." 

And with that he kissed her on her rosy pink lips. It felt like a millennium before they stopped. 

"I have to go now. But I want you make a promise."

"What is it?" 

"When this agony is over. Met me at the 38th parallel. That is when we can get out of this labyrinth of suffering."

Jongin knew there was less then 10% he himself was going to make it out of this war. But he didnt want to make Yoona more or less unhappy.

"I promise. Now go. You have to go home." he smiled. 

"Oh... Have I interrupted something?" a sly voice asked.

It was Kris. Seohyun. Myungsoo. The Chinese doctor was grabbing his older brother by the collar. 

"Kris?" she gaped.

"As you already found out, I'm here to kill my brother and Jongin." 

"Please stop! Help!" she tried to called out but the halls were empty. She knew others have retreated to the main headquarters 20 kilometres away. It was almost impossible to escape.

"Yoona!" Seohyun yelled as she fell infront of her. Her face was full of concern, and surpisingly, pity.

"Seohyun ah! Please stop him!" Yoona begged.

"I- I tried. He won't stop. I'm so sorry." the younger girl whispered.

"Kris! Please let Luhan go! Kill me instead!" 

"Oh miss Yoona shi. You're life had no value to me. Why would I want to waste time killing a pretty little doll when I can kill my older brother who took everything away from me?" he smirked,

"Luhan..." 

"Yoona ah- I'm so sorry. I- I- love- you. S-orry - I-m so s-orry-" Luhan struggled. 

"Good bye big brother. " Kris grinned as he took out his already loaded gun and pulled the trigger.

Before the bullet could hit Luhan, it hit someone else.

"Yoona... Luhan... Jongin... Seohyun... R-un." Myungsoo shouted.

"None of you are going anywhere. I've planted time bombs on each floor. And I've lock this door. Who has the advantage now?"

"Xi Luhan. You should've died a long time ago." 

"Stop! You don't have to kill him! He's your own brother!" Seohyun countered.

"You shut the hell up!" Kris barked as he gave an heavy slap to her delicate face.

"We can talk this out!"

"Yoona, you're too innocent."

"I'm being serious!"

"I'm done playing nice."

And he pulled the trigger once more.