Reflection

The War of Hope

Pyongyang 1950

"If you don't mind, let's talk somewhere else." Kris whispered into Yoona's ear.

She got the signal. People were going to notice them soon. He quietly lead her to his office. As she walked in, she noticed how extremely neat it was. Papers were neatly stacked onto a small pile and not a hint of dust was visible. 

"You're office is impressive."

"Thank you. I like my workplace to be organized. Anyways you look like you want me to do a favour? What is it?"

"You're very sharp Kris shi." Yoona's eyes narrowed.

"I want you to help me escape." 

"Lets be more realistic here. How am I supposed to aide you? It's practically impossible to even get outside." Kris replied.

"Just get me to the 38 parallel."

"Why would I do that?" Kris was baffled. This girl barely knew him and she was begging him. But these were desperate times.

"I rather die there." her voice was cold. Emotionless. Shivers ran up his spine. She was being serious.

"You've changed. Where did the broken girl with bullet wounds go?" 

"She died when she took her brother's place."

That took Kris by surprise. He knew this wasn't the real Yoona. Her soul hasn't died yet. It was still there, deeply buried by the hatred and sorrow. He could see the glass mask she was wearing crack, and the warmth she hid. He wasn't like Luhan or Jongin. He knew how women felt. He wasn't as arrogant as Luhan, and he was more mature than Jongin. His decision would either make him a tratior or a murderer. He knew the war wasn't going well and the longer she stayed here, the more danger she would be in.

"Fine. But when?"

"Tonight."

 

***

 

Luhan was searching the headquarters all day for this sight of the girl in the white dress. He knew he was selfish. Arrogant. Manipulative. Raised in a strict Chinese family, he was taught not to get too close with anyone. But Yoona was an exception. Maybe he loved  her. He wanted to forget about the past and live in the present. As he was about to turn the corner, he caught the sight of a lock of brown hair.

"Yoona!" he called. Yoona curiously ly to recognize it was one of the people she wanted to avoid. She rapidly turned her heel and sped down the narrow hallway but Luhan was much faster. He caught her left wrist in pulled her to him. 

"Yoona shi, I'm sorry-" he started. But Yoona cut him off.

"Stop it. Just stop it. Stop saying sorry, stop chasing after me, stop acting you know me because you don't. Do you even know how much you've hurt me? You broke my heart Luhan. I loved you so much even after I knew you and Seohyun were together. I wrote letters to you every month saying I missed you. You've always had my heart. But what you did to me in that interrogation room was unforgettable. How could you do that? Luhan- I just want to be able to love again." her glass mask was falling.

"You can detest me all you want. What I did was reckless. But I didn't get Seohyun pregnant- we just dated for a couple of months. If I could go turn back in time- " Luhan was already sobbing. He had her. And lost her. 

"Please Luhan. Just let me go." her tears had already stained her dress.

Luhan couldn't stop his tears from spilling. His world was spinning. Yoona composed herself once more as she stepped away from him.

"Luhan- just don't forget about me, about us, the love we had." With her final word, she ran. Luhan could only smile a sad smile.

"I will wait for you." he whispered.

 

***

 

 

She could feel the cold wind glowingly against her skin. Tears were still running down her cheeks. She knew she wasn't supposed to love him. She couldn't. After what he had done to her. She didn't love him anymore, but she still felt strange nostalgic feelings for him. She looked up at the stars. It was dark. Tonight she would go back to her home, whatever it would take. 

"Umma... Appa... Sehuna... I'm coming back tonight. I- I miss all of you so much. I've learned so much ever since I crossed the 38th parallel. I also made some new friends. Kris is a Chinese medical doctor. He treated my injuries. And Kim Jongin. He saved my life. He gave the optimism of hope. What I did to him- I regret it so much. Because I think I like him. No. I love him even if he's the son of our enemy. The pain the war gives each of us is unbearable. I don't want to see people I love get hurt. Not anymore." Yoona murmured. 

"You... Love... Me?" a voice trembled?

She whipped her body around only to find Jongin with his mouth gapped open. 

"Jongin." 

"My father told me to keep an eye on you. I- I should go." he blushed.

"No. Please stay. Lets watch the stars together." she smiled.

Jongin had no choice but to agree as he made his way up right beside her as he awkward looked towards to atmosphere.

"Are you still mad at me?"  Yoona suddenly shyly asked,

"Maybe." he stubbornly responded.

"I loved Luhan. I truly did. I always thought we were going to end up like one of those fair tale endings. Happy ones. I thought he was my Prince Charming. I never would ever think he would do what he did. Even if we truly forgive each other in the future, I won't give my heart back to him. Maybe I was foolish from the start. What you saw in the bathroom- it was my fault." she sighed.

"I see," Jongin could only agree.

"But then I met you. You're a brave soul. I just wished we could've met first. Maybe I wouldn't have fell for Luhan."

Then distant roaring of the war interrupted them.

"I wanted to say this  after the war was over but I don't think that'll  happen. I love you." Yoona finished.

"Yoona shi," Jongin sadly replied.

"You don't love me. You can't. You're just saying that because you're pitying me. But whether you really do or don't, I always will."  he continued.

"I should get going. Father wants me in his office," he coughed.

As he turned to leave, he stared at Yoona once more. But her facial expression was different. Hers was nostalgic. Like a final farewell expression. 

"You didn't even bother to say goodbye." Yoona whispered.

 

***

 

She had changed out of her white cream dress into a black pants, a black long sleeve and a black mask. Kris had also given her rubber army boots to protect her feet from the damp weather.

"Yoona shi, just follow my lead." 

The two figures had been walking for 3 hours and and both were exhausted. Soon from a distance they saw the large bent sign that read the "38th parallel". 

"Kris wait. If I don't make it can you give this to Seohyun? When you cross, surrender immediately. Then when you get interrogated ask for a girl named Seo Joo Hyun. That's her formal name. If they ask why just hand over the letter." 

"We're going to make it. The both of us. So shut up with your non sense." Kris sheepishly said.

"I wanted to ask you this. But why are you accompanying me?" she asked.

"This isn't just for you, I want freedom. I'm sick and tired of treating patients who'll be forced to fight to their death again. ! Run!"  Kris suddenly screamed.

Gunshots were breezing past them as they got nearer to the gate of fate. But they were coming from the direction they came in. But it was soon obvious that they couldn't outrun the bullets or the 50 or so soldiers dashing at them. Only of them would have to sacrifice. 

"Kris keep running! Don't look back!" Yoona screamed. Instead of arguing, he agreed and sped up.

Yoona stopped running. She turned around so she faced death coming at her. Bullets pierced through her skin. She felt dizzy, nauseated. But she couldn't pass out now. She would have come too far. She struggled to stand there untl the soldiers were 5 meters away from her. She saw Jongin and Luhan, running closer and closer to her. 

"Yoona what the hell were you thinking?!" Luhan screeched as he tried to stop various wounds from bleeding.

"You have to live. I don't care if you don't love me. Just promise you won't die!" it was Jongin, who broke down weeping. She saw his heart break. He truly did love her. Even though she was in extreme pain, she felt immerse light shine through her. He was the one who cared for her in the first place, who never left her. He protected her. 

"Where's Kris?!" Luhan continued.

Jongin punched  him across the face. Hard.

"Why are you worrying about Kris when Yoona's about to die?!" Jongin screamed.

"What the  hell was that for?!"

"If you loved her then wouldn't you care about her safety and situation right now?!" 

"I would've. But she told me to let go. So I did."