The Canon in D minor

The War of Hope

Pyongyang 1952

"Kim Jongin."

"Xi Luhan."

It was two years into the Korean War. Neither side was winning. But both were devastated. Many civilians were killed, their souls taken by death. Death was nothing but fair. It embraced the innocent souls who had their lives ruthlessly taken away. America was planning to use their nuclear bombers as they did on Hiroshima and Nagaski during the World War 2. The North Koreans were struggling. Behind them were the Chinese and the Russians. It was the three of them against the world. Impossible in other words. 

Im Yoona was held captive for the the continuous two years. But she struggled no more. She had Jongin by her side. She learned about brutality and beauty of the war. It was so ugly but so glorious at the same time. She had learned to love again. Slowly but steadily, her heart had found its broken pieces and rekindled itself. 

The two grown men were standing side. Even though they didn't particularly like each other, they were allies. 

"We're losing." 

Jongin knew what he meant. 

"I know. We're having a strategy meeting tonight. Are you going?"

"Jongin. What I meant was- I'm- the Chinese are withdrawing. We've already lost. Before we face anymore fatalities and complications. It's for the best." Luhan replied. He then put his hand on Jongin's shoulder, as a sign of respect. 

"No. We can't just lose like this." the younger one rejected.

"If we continue this, who knows what will happen next?" 

"Luhan! You know how much this war means to us!" Jongin screeched.

"Stop. You don't even know how much danger you're in right now." Luhan said calmly.

"It can't end like this! Are you telling me just to surrender?!" 

"I'm telling you to do the right thing. It's not just for you and your country. It's for Yoona."

Jongin froze. Yoona. He should've known Luhan still hadn't forgot about her. He still loved her.

"I'll think about it," he muttered.

"Let me take Yoona to the South, where she belongs. She shouldn't have to suffer what we've started. Face it Jongin, you guys were never meant to be together. Like Romeo and Juliet. You two are enemies not lovers. She misses her family, her friends, her old life. Do it for Yoona." Luhan pleaded.

"I- I'll talk to her about it."

"You won't think about it, you'll do it. Wake up Jongin. This is reality. We've underestimated the United Nations. Now look where it lead us. A road to hell." 

"I'm not ready to lose her yet."