Stronger

The War of Hope

We are infinite - Perks of being a wallflower 

Pyonyang 1952

"This is the beginning of the end." 

"Father what are you saying?"

"I'm saying we lost. The allies forces are heading this way. We have nothing left to fight for. Our civilians are dying, we are losing more soldiers each day son."

"We can't just give up like this!"

"It's only a matter of time until Pyongyang is gone too. We're going to surrender. It's the only way to escape the serious consequences."

"There's still hope! We can fight back! The Russian and Chinese diplomats are still here! We can negotiate with them and come up with an ultimatum! Our cabinet is going to get excuted if we surrender like this!"

"Jongin. There's no way out. What other plans could there be?"

"Im Yoona. Her family has important bonds with the South Korean government. We can continue to keep her hostage and maybe the enemy forces might hesitate. That'll give us enough time."

"Do you think these forces will stop for a girl?!"

"They might."

"I can not allow it. It's too dangerous for her and for us. Let her go. We must face our consequences."

"So you're letting yourself get captured?! You taught me better?"

"I am not going to let them kill  me. I will be long gone before then. I don't regret any of this. I'm only ashamed of being such a terrible father. I'm so sorry Jongin. I have already planned you're escape. You will head to China with your brother. Your mother and I will stay here."

"I'm not going."

"You must. I cannot let you waste your young life like this. As your father and leader I command you to leave. All this will just be distant memory. Forget about all of this. Start a new life."

Jongin could not believe what his father was saying. He was telling him to forget about everything. Tears dropped on his forearm like the spring rain of April. 

"I think my mistake was putting too much trust in you father. I should've known better." he chocked.

"Don't let yourself be a victim of your mind. Like I am. Now go. You have somewhere to be." his father smiled.

Jongin slowly made his way out of his father's office but before he could turn the door knob something made him stop.

"I'll always love you Jongin ah."

He had lost himself in the darkness.

 

***

"Luhan let go of me!" Yoona struggled as Luhan kept his iron grip of the maiden's thin, delicate arm.

"What happened between us?! When did it go all wrong?! Just tell me Yoona!" he screamed.

"You said that you would never hurt me. But you lied again!" 

"It's breaking my heart! What am I supposed to do?! The hardest thing to do is watch the one you love fall in love with someone else. I never stopped loving you. Not even for a second. Even when I hated you. I don't care if you hate me for what I did to you and Seohyun! Just let me love you!"

"I've loved something that doesn't really exist. After what you did to Seohyun and me- I can't look at you the same way again." 

These simple words stabbed his heart. It felt like a huge hole that has been punched through his chest.

"Can't you see that I love you?! I wanted to forget about you because I was so ashamed at myself for losing you. Then I found out how hard it is to forget. I just want to feel dead inside."

"Love makes mistakes Luhan. But love moves on too." Yoona softly replied.

"If I died. Would you care?" he suddenly asked.

Yoona froze. She didnt realize Luhan was having suicidal thoughts. All this because of their sad love. It touched her. Perhaps Luhan truly did love her. 

"Then let me die." he continued.

"I- I would care. I don't know what to say. I love Jongin- but I my heart beats for the both of you." 

"Yoona, I'm sorry. I'm sorry we had to fall in love." there were tears in his eyes. Genuine tears.

"Stop it."

"I can't."

 

***

Seoul 1952

Kris felt excited and nostalgic at the same time. He would get revenge on his younger brother. Well half brother. From childhood, Luhan always managed to outshine him at everything. Academics, military skills, war strategies. And when he managed to capture Seohyun's heart, he felt enraged. He knew Luhan always and only loved Yoona. He was motivated by his greed for her love. But he would miss those rare times when they've bonded together. But with him dead, Kris would get everything that Luhan left. 

"Seohyun, it's almost time."

The beautiful girl turned around. Her almond coloured eyes were sharp and alert.

"We are going to be arriving at Pyongyang in  any minute. Are you ready?"

"Damn right. That bastard's going down."

"There's going to be other people in the building too. Remember that. We're targeting Luhan only."

"Why don't we kill everyone else in there too? They're going to face hell anyways."

"Shut up. There's something called mercy. You know what that means? We give others a second chance."

"You're too innocent Seohyun. Some day you're going to realize the world is a cruel place. It doesn't give people like us another chance. Hope is an fictional word, non existent. God, you're hindering sometimes."

"I have people I love Kris. My family, my friends, Yoona, you. Maybe then you would believe in it. Yoona unnie gave me hope and faith."

He could only smirk.

"So do you think Yoona's still going to be hopeful when she learns her brother was killed?"

Seohyun turned cold. Shivers went up her spine.

"What? What do you mean?"

"I mean I killed her brother. I just like to see her when she did all this for nothing. Don't you find this amusing?" 

She couldn't take anymore. She punched Kris across the face. 

"I can't believe I'm saying this but Luhan was better than you."

 

***

Pyongyang 1952

Yoona had found Jongin slumped on the ground in his empty bunker. He had tear stains on his cheeks. Something must've happened.

"What happened?"

"Yoona ah- go home."

"What?"

"I said go home. With Luhan. Please."

"Be a little more reasonable Jongin" Yoona a pleased as she tried to wipe away his tears.

He slapped her hand away.

"I can't look at you right now. My father's going to die! My family is being torn apart! My country Yoona!" he sobbed.

"Think about the future. Do you think mourning about all this is going to make a better? You still have the power to choose your fate! Don't let this be a sad story when you know you're alive! Have hope Jongin."

"I -I don't know what to do." he said helplessly.

"Do what you think is right."

Even at the worst of times Yoona has always made him feel better. She was his sun. Se gave him warmth, happiness and hope. To hold on to tomorrow because the darkness will soon pass and there will always be light again.

He embraced her. He could smell roses from her hair. It was wonderful. Perhaps their times together will soon end, maybe not. Because he wanted to spend today like there was no tomorrow.

But how would've known there as another shadow behind the door with a sky grin on his face?

YES. I'm finally done xD anyways sorry for the late update! I was so busy this week with school:$ sigh it's raining like crazy in Canada fit now... I wish summer could come faster. OH and please comment and vote for Luyoon or Yoonkai or Seokris or maybe even another character;)