Final fantasy

The War of Hope

Pyongyang 1952

Bang. The sound of the bullet bounced off the narrow walls of the room. It took a direct hit into Luhan's stomach. He winced in pain. Why was his brother doing this? What was his reason of trying to kill him? He did nothing to hurt his beloved younger brother. He could not remember anything.  Suddenly he knew. The reason why Kris beginned to despise him. The deep hatred the younger Chinese kept against. How could he be so blind? The answer was right in front of her the whole time. 

"I took everything away from you." Luhan croaked.

"Ding ding ding. You were an illegitimate child Xi Luhan. I was born in pure noble blood. I was the heir to father's company. But you stole it from me in not even a millisecond. He chose you over me. My mother choose you over me. Everyone did. You could say I was an unwanted child. They wanted me dead so you could easily take my place. That fire- the one that started at the main house 15 years ago? My own mother planned that. So I could die 'quietly' without any suspicions. My heart can only handle so much Luhan. Scars still remain from that very day. If only- you weren't born, maybe everything could've been different. Do you get it now? I hate you."  he jeered.

"Then kill me brother." 

"I would, but not now. I would like to talk to the others first." Kris smirked as his eyes landed on the 4 victims. 

"Let them stay out of it. It's between you and I." Luhan started.

"Ah... but Yoona shi plays a vital role in all this. Am I correct?" 

Kris reached his hand towards the traumatized lady who was embraced in Jongin's arms.

"Stop it Kris. Not her." 

"So you still love her? This is interesting." 

"Please." 

Kris ignored Luhan's pleas and fiercely gripped onto Yoona's arm and pulled her up. Her eyes were clouded with fear.

"Im Yoona? The wealthy heiress of the Im Coporation. The love interest to Xi Luhan. How very nice to see you." he mocked.

She remained silent. 

"Don't be scared. I don't bite." 

"Don't hurt her..." Luhan muttered.

"So you're his 'fiancée'? I can see why he has fallen in love you? You're exceptionally beautiful. But have you ever loved him?" he questioned.

"I- I have." she finally managed to say.

"Do you still love him?" he whispered into her ear.

Yoona couldn't respond. Her body tensed. Cold droplets of sweat began dripping down her forehead.

"Yoona shi. The clock is ticking." 

"I- I- do. But it's not the same love as before. We lost that a long time ago. I've moved on."  she briskly mumbled.

"Oh how heart breaking. Don't you think Luhan?" Kris pouted.

"But I still care about him. We've been through a lot the past two years. He never stopped loving me. He never gave up on me. Thank you Luhan." Yoona smiled.

A little piece of Luhan's heart died. She had moved on. It was time he moved on with his. Memories of them flooded his mind. If only...

Luhan shut his eyes. He wanted to break from reality. Tears slowly hit the floor carpet. Realization had caught up to him. He was heartbroken.

"I'm sorry Luhan." Yoona apologized.

Jongin, who had only been watching this whole time was abashed. It must've been hard for Yoona saying goodbye to her first love like this. Seeing her struggling through her emotions made his own heart ache. But he jumped back into reality when he noticed Kris aiming his loaded gun towards her. He was a second too late.

Bang. 

Just at that very moment, everyone froze. Time had stopped enough for Luhan to shield Yoona with his own body. The bullet pierced his heart.

"Luhan!" Yoona screamed.

"W-w-what did I do?!" Kris trembled. His steady grip on the gun faltered as his let it drop on the floor. He had shot his step brother. His best friend.

"Go." Luhan mouthed to the rest. 

Jongin wasted no time as he pulled Yoona along with him. He gestured Seohyun and Myungsoo to follow. 

They both rejected. 

"My time here is done now. Yoona showed me how hope can change a life around. I finally found my peace." Myungsoo smiled.

"Myungsoo shi..." Yoona softly replied.

"I was born to die here. Please let me go." 

"B-but-"

"You deserve the one who deserves a second chance the most. You taught me that. No go live your life Yoona shi and perhaps we'll meet in the future." 

"God bless." she whispered.

"I think I'll be staying here too." Seohyun spoke.

"Seohyun ah! I can't allow it!" Yoona rejected.

The younger girl gently cupped the older girl's hands. They were frail but soft. 

"I'm your bestfriend. I've been a horrible one so far, and I want to make it right. Kris and Luhan deserve to die in peace with each other and I think I'm the only one who can do that. I know they still love each other deep down. And I still have some unfinished business with Luhan." she winked.

Yoona was sobbing now. She couldn't bear to lose any more loved ones. It was all because of her. She felt dirty and selfish. Seohyun, the quiet, gentle girl she knew was walking to her death because of her best friend. Herself. 

"I can't! How can I let you walk to your own death! Just think about it Seohyun ah! I can't lose you!" 

"Yoona unnie, I knew I was going to die the moment I agreed to help Kris. It was the biggest mistake I've made in my life. I put my own desries and hurt you. Now is my chance to make it right. Let me go. I need to see them." Seohyun begged.

"No."

"Then I guess I'll need to force you." she smiled as she pushed Yoona into Jongin's arms. She ran towards Kris, Luhan and Myungsoo. 

"Seohyun!" she sobbed.

"I love you unnie!" Seohyum yelled back. 

"I'm so sorry Yoona." Jongin buried his face into Yoona's neck.

"It hurts Jongin. Just make it stop. Please! Make it stop!" 

 

***

"Kris." Seohyun coughed as she ran towards him. He was shocked at himself. Disappointed. Ashamed. 

"M-Myungsoo's already dead..." he wept.

Myungsoo's lifeless body laid near the door. He'd been crying during his last minutes. 

"It's not your fault."

"I know it is. I'm a monster Seohyun." 

"Shh." Seohyun responded as she hesitantly caressed his hair. 

"It's not to late. There's still time." she continued.

"I-I can't. I still hate him. And that'll never change between us. Even if we die."

"You may hate him, but Luhan never hated you."

"W-what do you mean?" he stuttered.

"Luhan was planning to hand over the company to you. The thing you wanted the most ever since."

"What?" Kris was flabbergasted. She had to be lying.

"When you would turn 20 Luhan planned to resign his position as CEO and hand over everything to you. He knew how much it would mean to you and hoped it would break the invisible barrier. He wanted you to be happy."

"You're bluffing."

"Then why don't you ask Luhan himself?" she gestured to a figure crouching in pain not far from them. 

"Lu-Luhan?" 

"Yeah?" 

"Is that true?" 

Luhan turned his head toward the two and gave a boyish smile.

"Well of course. You wanted it much more than me. I only wished to marry Yoona." his lips quivered.

"I-I"

"You don't have to say anything. You had a right to hate me. I wasn't a good older brother, and I wasn't from nobility. I was merely some child from one of dad's  mistresses."

"No. I was the reckless one. I deserve to burn in hell."

"Kris, can I ask you for a favour?" Luhan suddenly asked.

"Yeah. What is it?" 

"I want you to say 'I love you big brother' the second before the time bomb goes off." 

Salty tears brimmed on the younger brother's eyes. After all this, Luhan still forgave him.

"I will." 

"And Seohyun," Luhan continued.

"What is it?" she grunted.

"I'm sorry I treated you like that. I not only hurt you but Yoona."

"I'm fine. I already knew you've fallen in love with her. It was my mistake."

"Maybe if only I hadn't done what I did everything would have changed." 

"Dont fret about things like that. They've already happened. What's passed has passed." 

"Like Yoona... Her and I?"

"Luhan..." she sighed. She knew he was fighting hard not to bawl.

"I really thought she was the one." he teared.

"I know." was all she could say.

"Yoona...Yoona...." he moaned. His sobs became louder and louder and sad tears puddled on the floor. 

"Listen to me. You might think you've lost her, but Yoona will always be your epic love. Never forget that." Seohyun firmly stated.

10 seconds remaining.

9 seconds remaining. 

8 seconds remaining. 

Seohyun grabbed the hands of both boys and pulled them close as they huddled together.

7 seconds remaining.

6 seconds remaking.

"Kris." Seohyun urgently asked.

"Yeah?"

"I love you."  she gasped.

5 seconds remaining.

4 seconds remaining.

"I love you too."

3 seconds remaining.

2 seconds remaining. 

1 second remaining.

"I love you big brother."