The Violin

The War of Hope

Pyongyang 1952

"Yoona! It's May 22nd!" Jongin happily shouted.

"My birthday..." she murmured.

Despite these gruelling two years of being held captive by the enemy, she didn't mind. They were caring people, like the ones from the South. She had mistaken them for diabolical monsters. But at the same time, she wanted to be home and surrounded by her loved ones. That wasn't going to happen.

"I got you a present," he coughed.

Yoona's head perked up. A present was rare as a peace treaty these days. 

"You didn't have to." 

"I thought it would cheer you up."

Jongin presented towards her an old looking rectangular wooden case. He unclipped the two  locks  and opened it. Inside, there was a violin, it was old and rusty but it filled Yoona's heart with joy.

"Oh my... how did you know?" she breathed.

"You told me." he sheepishly grinned.

"Play a song." Jongin suggested.

"I'll try."

She held the violin up to her shoulder. It felt strange and unusual. She had been playing most of her life, but it felt wrong. She ignored the uprising feeling. She tightened her grip around the bow and began to play. She recognized these emotions. It felt wonderful to her. Her world revolved around music, and she revolved around music. Jongin was gapped with amazement. She played with such precision, he could feel her heart in each note she played.

"You're amazing," he said as she finished playing. 

"Not really. You should hear Seohyun play the piano- she's"  Yoona suddenly cut herself. She didnt want to remember the memories she had before. It hurt her too much. 

"Seo Joo Hyun? Is she your best friend?"

"My only friend. Well- I did have others but they were all boys." 

"Is she not the one who had an affair with Luhan?" 

"Yes she is. I know you're going to ask why we're still friends. Jongin, she helped me through so much and I didn't want a guy like Luhan to rupture our precious bond. So I just ignored them."

"Is that why you can't love Luhan back?" 

Yoona stiffened. She didn't expect him to ask her a question like this.

"Part of the reason. I did love him back, but he didn't see it. He went beyond tactics to get us married. I was supposed to be engaged to Kim Myungsoo, he's the son of a minister of the cabinet. But he murdered him so I would be available for marriage. Life is cruel Jongin. Myungsoo was a very intelligent boy. He was kind and gentle. He had all of them taken away from him when his heart stopped beating." 

"Did you love Myungsoo too?"

"No, but I admired him. He reminds me of you. But the difference is, I love you so much." Yoona replied as she hugged him. Jongin caressed her glossy hair. He wanted time to stop. He didnt want to tell Yoona about Luhan's secret plan. But he had to.

"If- If you really want to go home, I can take you there. We're losing the war and its only a matter of time until they come here. I don't want you to bear the suffering with me. You've already did enough. Go home and forget about me. Luhan can take you. Maybe you can learn to love him again."

"What are you even talking about? I can't leave you here! What if you- die?! You mean the world to me Jongin. I can't let this war eat you up! And I already forgot about Luhan! I love you! Can't you understand that?!"

"Yoona. You're going to die if you stay here. I'm not going to let you waste your life like this. And think of your family. Your father, your mother, your younger brother Sehun! Just think what they would do when they learned she was in love with the enemy's son! What would they do when they learned you died in enemy territory by your country's soldiers?! You know how hard it is for me to let you go?! It breaks me! I can't even think about you forgetting about me and going back to Luhan's side! It-it- I can't do this!" 

"Why does our love have to be so cruel to us?! I can't go back to Luhan's side! I will always be on your and you know that! So why are you doubting our love?"

"I am not. I just want it to survive. Even if it means sacrificing half of it."

"Jongin..."

"Let's continue this later. Meet me in my bunker by 9 o'clock sharp. Ok? I have a a meeting to attend to." Jongin squeezed he shoulders one more time before heading to leave the room. He staggered towards to door, and turned to knob. He want to hold the emotions off until after the meeting. His father would be humiliated by him.

 

***

 

Luhan found Yoona and the empty ballroom. She was playing the violin. Jongin must've given her one for her birthday. He tiptoed closer and closer to her so he could her the melodic sounds she produced. The music was sad. Melancholy to be exact. 

"Why are you so down?" Luhan mocked. He knew why. 

"You should know. What do you want?" 

"Just wanted to give this to you." he said as he handed her an envelope. Before she even opened it, she knew what it was.

"Luhan. I know why you're so angry why Kris suddenly decided to surrender. He didn't do it for me. He did it for Seohyun. How could have I not known he was infatuated with her. The president's daughter?" Yoona clicked her tongue.

"What do you mean?" he raised an eyebrow. 

"Kris is you're older brother. He was there with you at the ball- where we first met. Seohyun was there- and so was Jongin. Perhaps we were all fated to be together. I saw him looking at her with those innocent eyes that declared love. You're the one who betrayed him Luhan. Only if you didn't play with her. He stole some important war plans with him too. That's why I told him to go over instead of myself. And Seohyun, she was my best friend. Why would you break her heart? Why would you even capture it in the first place? Kris deserves to be with Seohyun. Just except the fact."

"What about you and Jongin? You fell in love with the enemy, when you could've came running back to me. And I agree. Kris deserves to be with Seohyun. Those fools. How could you even consider that idiot as your friend? "

Yoona ignored Luhan's mockery and ripped open the letter. 

Dear Yoona, 

How could you do this? Take your brother's place in the front lines?! You didn't even say goodbye to me. This war, it's wearing everyone out. Who knows when it'll end? But I'm doing fine. The house has gotten busier due to food lines and bomb shelters being developed. And your family, they're doing fine as well. They've decided to stay and serve our motherland. Especially your brother Sehun. He misses you so much Unnie. We all miss you. And Luhan, that bastard. I hope you didn't fall in love with him. I've informed the government of your location and Kris had told me about the enemy's plans. Don't worry, we'll survive this together. I'm sorry I can't write you a longer letter. I love you.

Seohyun

Knowing Seohyun, she wrote letters with hidden meanings behind them. But this letter was bland. There was no information or emotions. Something must've happened. 

"Did you like my letter?" 

"Luhan." he had faked Seohyun's letter. Yoona was enraged.

She was at her boiling point. She slapped him across the face. It made a crackling sound as it left angry red marks across her face. It reminded her of that time when he did the same thing, except she didnt fight back. But Luhan did.

Before she could throw another slap, he swiftly grabbed hold if her wrists and slammed her against the walls. They were so close that she could feel Luhan's warm breath on her neck. 

"What is it Yoona shi?" Luhan smirked.

"Stop it. I'm not playing games anymore," she struggled.

He then with his free hand touched her lips. They were soft and the colour of peaches. He lightly put his lips on hers. He knew she didn't like it. But he couldn't help it. He wanted her so much.

"You're crying." were the only words that Yoona said.

He felt tears stream down his face. 

"You haven't seen my bad side yet." he choked.

He buried his face in Yoona's hair. He felt embarrassed. Humiliated. Broken.

"I have. So stop acting so strong."

"I want to die but I'm afraid that I might miss out on a chance to feel what it's like to be happy. I just want to escape from my stupid life." 

"Find someone that'll love you back."

"I think a lot about you. But I know I can't love you. The one person I wanted to talk to the most barely looks me in the eye anymore." 

"Then you have no idea what it's like in my head. You never looked at me the same after Kris escaped. What did you say to Jongin? Stop playing with everyone! And the sad part is that I don't even care anymore. Do what you want with your life Luhan." she replied as she tried to escape from his grasp. But he didn't move an inch. 

"I can't let you go yet. I've been watching you fall in love with that boy for two years. I love you and I don't know why. I just do. I try real hard but I can't forget. Help me Yoona."

"Then let it all out. Just let the pain out. I can see you're sad even when you smile even when you laugh. I can see it in your eyes. Deep inside you want to cry. So let it all out."

"I'll be okay. Is that what you want me to say?"

"Luhan." she thought she had forgotten about him. But she felt her heart throb. 

"It hurts. I know you love him because you used to look at me the same way."

"I'm sorry." 

 

***

 

Seoul 1952

"Kris, it's almost time."

"Seohyun. Are you sure about this?"

"Yes."

It's been over two years since Kris became a POW. But he really didn't mind it. Because he was able to watch over his beloved Seohyun. It was worth it. They've been planning to assisinate Xi Luhan. The plan couldn't except any mistakes. Only precision and skill. They knew the war was almost over. The Chinese and Russian forces were retreating. It was only a matter of time until Yoona would come back home. That would be their perfect chance. 

"We must make sure to get Yoona back safely though. If anything happens to her..." Seohyun murmured worriedly.

"Why are you scared? Isn't it better to kill the both at one shot?" Kris grinned.

"Yoona is my best friend. You must be mentally deranged Kris. I've hurt her. I don't deserve to be her friend. Or even be acknowledged by her at all. I was a ty friend.  She put up with me when Luhan cheated on her with me. I promised her I would never leave her side. Where am I now?"

"But Luhan used you for Yoona. Aren't you upset about that?"

"You used Yoona to come find me. Isn't that the same?"

"Yoona still loves Luhan. Then why do you still want to kill him? Is it because of jelousy? Because of lust you can never have?"

"He broke both of our hearts. That's a reason to kill him. Isn't it?"