Half Truth

In our Next Life

Taecyon:

"Five years since everything started, it has been five years since that fated day when I caught her staring at me, for five years she has found a place in my heart. I never realized it until now. Ofcourse I would joke around saying that she is my crush, it was because I don't want to be associated with different girls, I never knew why I felt like that but I never questioned myself about it. For five years I lived in oblivion about my real feelings, now that I'm facing the possibility of losing her to another my feelings became as clear as glass. The reason why I don't want myself to be associated to other girls apart from her is because I like her and I certainly don't want her to be associated to other guys either."

"I think I like you" Hyunwoo stated out of the blue. I wan't to brush it off as a joke but his face shows no sign of it. Hyunwoo is a threat I should be cautious on, he was the personification of Suzy's ideal type which gives me an uneasy feeling. I looked at Suzy who was as shocked as I was, she was just staring at Hyunwoo and wouldn't utter a word anytime soon. Suzy is never really open about her feelings, whenever I tell her I like her, she would just brush it off as a like between a friend. Someone as futuristic as her wouldn't want to get entangled with those troublesome feelings, or so I thought.

Suzy:

I just stared at Hyunwoo hoping that he would laugh out loud and say that I've been fooled, but to no avail, he showed no signs of that. I then decided that I would tell him what I feel to end this awkward atmosphere that is enveloping us.

"You meant that as a joke right?" I asked hoping that he would answer yes.

"No, I really like you, you were the first one to make me feel that I'm alive" he said seriously.

"Now I know you're joking. Like seriously, who would fall in love in just a day?" I answered.

"I knew you would say that, but I would make you change your mindset" he answered back which left me speechless and dumbfounded at the moment. Awkward silence filled the room and I can hear my heart beating abnormally fast. After experiencing the longest 60 seconds of my life, Hyunwoo found the guts to laugh.

"Yah, it's a joke, why are you looking like someone just died or something?" he said as he tried to supress his laughter. I sighed in relief after knowing that and laughed as well. Just then, Taecyon grabbed his hand and pulled him towards the door.

Taecyon:

That's it, I can't take anymore of Hyunwoo's foolishness. This guy seriously needs a beating to bring him back to his senses because he seemed to have lost his mind when we lost.

"Yah, let's talk" I said as I pulled him harshly towards the door and away from Suzy.

Suzy:

I looked at Hyunwoo and Taecyon go out of the door. I let out a deep breath I never thought I was holding.

"He likes you" Sulli stated in an emotionless voice. Everything happened so fast that I forgot that she was there.

"Yah, he already told us that it was a joke" I convinced her which sounded more like convincing myself. I really wanted to believe that it was a joke, but something about Hyunwoo's laugh seemed a bit off, it was like he was forcing it.

"Not all jokes are lies Suzy, some of them are half true."

"How can you tell that? I mean, how can you say that Hyunwoo's joke is true?" Sulli let out a heavy sigh, and I felt sadness in it, damn Hyunwoo for making that stupid joke.

"I've known Hyunwoo for more than five years, Hyunwoo, eventhough he is a joker, he would never joke about personal things like liking someone. He is a straightforward person but he is also a coward. He jokes about that things that he can't say directly, just like what he did today" Sulli stated monotonously. She tried to hide it but I can sense that sadness in her voice, I can't help but to feel sorry for her but I know that it's the last thing that she needs right now. To be pitied is even worse than being scorned, this time, I knew that silence is the best move.

After minutes of awkward silence, which definitely felt like forever, Taecyon and Hyunwoo entered in a rather friendly atmosphere which really confused me.

"Hey, let's eat before time runs out" Taecyon shouted. I looked at the time, we still have 15 minutes left. I don't really have the appetite right now but I guess it's better than stay in this awkward situation.

"Yah, Choi Sulli, what's with that gloomy face? You know you're getting ugly everytime you do that, right?" Hyunwoo said as he tried to lift Sulli's spirits and thankfully, Sulli is somewhat giving in to Hyunwoo's aegyo.

"Let's go." Taecyon took my hand and started to drag me out of the room, Hyunwoo and Sulli trailed behind. We went to buy our snacks and sat on an empty table at the corner and there it was again, the awkward silence that I despise the most.

"Suzy, I'm really sorry about what I did back there, I really shouldn't have joked like that" Hyunwoo said in his most apologetic expression. I nodded, I don't really know what to say right now.

"If it's okay, I want us to start our friendship all over again" he added.

"I would like that" I answered smiling. He then smiled and stood up and bowed "Hi I'm Lee Hyunwoo and you are?" he said as he extended his hand towards me. I thought the idea was absurd but I responded anyway, "I'm Bae Suzy, nice to meet you" I smiled as I shook his hand. Hyunwoo really know how to lift our spirits.

"Forgive me If I made you uncomfortable in any way." It was Sulli, my smile grew even wider, I really want Sulli to be my friend.

"There's no need to apologize, what you did back there, I completely understand that" I answered, putting on the most sincere expression I can manage.

"Yah, enough with the drama, let's just eat." I glared at Taecyon, he sure knows how to ruin the mood.

"Idiot" I commented which made Hyunwoo and Sulli break into fits of laughter.

_______________________________

"A person's heart is like a deep well, just by looking at it, you would wonder, what is it that could be lurking at its bottom and you would never figure it out unless you make an effort to reach out for it. Deep and mysterious, that's how a person's heart is."