Loving From Afar

In our Next Life

Suzy:

"Hey, be my partner"

I looked up and saw Taecyon asking Hyunwoo to be his partner. No words could describe how shocked I was at the moment. What Taecyon is thinking, I would never know. That guy is just purely complicated.

I waited for Hyunwoo's response, a part of me wanted him to reject Taecyon and be my partner instead. Well, don't misunderstand, it's just that he is the only person I know outside school so I'm hoping that he could be my partner since I'm not the type who would go asking strangers to be my partner.

"Sure", Hyunwoo replied and guess what, my day is ruined. Taecyon shot me a smile while I glare at him. Gosh, of all people, he should have known better that I'm not good with strangers, I'm so angry right now that I really want to smack him in the head. I intensified my glare which earned a hateful glare from him. I really cant believe this, first he took my potential partner and now he hates me? I should be the one hating here.

I snapped out of my thoughts when someone tapped my shoulder. I turned to look at the person and what I saw surprised me, it was a new version of me. What I'm seeing right now is definitely what I imagined how others are seeing me as, a shy and innocent type.

She played with her fingers as she contemplated what to say. "Can you be my partner?" she finally said.

"Gladly" I answered. My anger somehow disappeared now that I have found a partner.

"I'm Sulli, and you are?"

"I'm Suzy" I answered. "Nice to meet you Sulli, believe me, I really am. You're my savior of the day"

"Yeah, I can see that, and that guy over there is whom I have to save you from, right?" she asked playfully as she pointed towards Taecyon who is shooting lasers at the moment.

"Bingo" I exclaimed.

"What are you guys anyway?" she asked.

"Were bestfriends" I answered which earned a confused look from Sulli. "Uhm, frenemies" I corrected. "And for some reason, we are having our enemy moments."

"Dont mind if I ask, but what is the reason?" she asked hesitantly. I smiled at her to assure her thats it's okay. If were going to be partners then I might as well tell her my life story.

"It's because of that guy" I said pointing to Hyunwoo. "I was hoping he could be my partner but for some reasons, I have yet to find out, Taecyon took him from me. Like seriously, is he mad at me or something? Because he should be the one to know that I can't easily make friends and Hyunwoo is my only friend outside our school. That guy really drives me crazy." Sulli just nodded in understanding.

"Ah right, why did you choose me as your partner? You dont seem to be the kind who would approach strangers easily" I asked and Sulli blushed. Why did she blush?

"He's the reason" she said as she pointed out towards someone I know.

"Hyunwoo? You know Hyunwoo?"

Sulli nodded. " I wanted to be friends with Hyunwoo's friends that's why."

"What are you guys anyway?" I asked the same question she asked about my relationship with Taecyon.

"He was my classmate" she answered, a bit flustered.

"Yeah, I know that but is that it?" my curiosity got better of me so I decided to push further.

"Well...he was my first friend, if not for him, I cant imagine my life in middle school." She said it so coolly that I felt envious on how easily she conveys her feelings.

"Your relationship is that deep, huh?" I remarked and I saw her blush even harder.

"Well you can say that for my case but------"

My curiosity perked up at the sudden pause. I looked at her intently, waiting for her to continue, she seemed to be contemplating whether to continue or not though.

"Hyunwoo is friendly to everyone, he possesses this bright character which made it easy for him to make friends"

"Yeah, I can see that," I answered in understanding. Hyunwoo really has that character, he has the talent to make just about anyone comfortable with him. But with that happy-go-lucky personality, it's never aesy to tell what he's really thinking.

I continued to stare at Hyunwoo until I felt someone boring holes in my head. I turned to the direction and came face to face with the deadliest glare ever. I returned the glare and mouthed 'what' but the jerk just turned his back at me without even responding. When will I ever understand you Taecyon? I asked in my thought.

"Suzy" I snapped out of my thoughts and realized that the teacher was announcing something. I mouthed 'Thank you ' to Sulli for pulling me out of my daze or I had been in great trouble.

"...the reason that I asked you to form in pairs with someone from another school is because I want you to be comfortable with this class and also because we will have a bit of a competition, so I'm hoping that you choosed your partners well" he said mischievously. "And our first competition would start shortly so better be prepared"

Taecyon shot me an I'm-gonna-win-this-time look which got me more pumped up, there is no way I'm gonna let that happen. I looked at Sulli, who is now wearing a not so confident look which made me a bit uneasy. I waved my hand in front of her to pull her from whatever thoughts she's having right now.

"You're not thinking that we will lose, are you?" I asked skeptically, something about her expression is really bothering me.

"No...of course not," she answered which sounded more like persuading herself.

"You dont sound so sure though" I retorted.

"I'm sorry Suzy, it's just that I cant muster such confidence when I'm competing against Hyunwoo. No one, I mean no one has won over him in Math before" she answered hopelessly.

"Then I would be the first" I said confidently. If what I heard from Sulli is right, then I would be having my best competition yet. Sulli is not convinced though. "What? I'm unbeatable in math too, you know, so dont you dare think that well lose. You would never know the result until the end of the competition so nothing's certain at this point."

"Then I would hold on to those words" she said forcing a smile.

"Sure you'll do. Now all we have to do is win this game" I convinced her.

"Definitely" she answered with a genuine smile in her face.