Partners

In our Next Life

Suzy:

After that encounter, I never really wanted to cross paths with him again.

I walked towards my friends' table, I just sat there silently as I tried to think about what just happened. So many questions are running through my head like why did my heart began to beat faster the moment I saw his smile. And why do I even think about him? I shook my head to free myself from those bothering thoughts for none of it made sense. As I tried harder to think about it, the more it confuses me.

"Suzy", I turned towards the direction of the voice only to see my friends looking weirly at me.

"Is there something bothering you?" Jiyeon asked, her voice filled with worry.

"No, I'm okay. I'm just thinking what our next subject would be" I lied. I expected a few more questions but then they broke into fits of laughter.

"Yah, I can't believe you're this weird" IU commented.

"Yah, I'm not weird" I answered defensively.

"Then tell me worrying about the next subject is not weird" JB said sarcastically.

"Well, it is not. Don't you guys even think about school?" I answered.

"We do think about school but not to the point where we worry about it and shake our head unconciously like a retard" it was Wooyoung's turn to comment. I was left dumbfouded.

"Did I really look something like that?" I asked. They nodded their head in unison. I was about to say something again but the sound of the bell just have to cut me off.

"Time to find out what our next subject is" IU said as she pulled me out of my chair and into our classroom. We took our respective seats and waited for the teacher. I looked blankly at the blackboard and was about to drift into space but the feeling of two eyes watching me cut me off. I my back to see who is boring holes into me but failed. No one's eyes was on me. It was pure imagination.

"Okay class, we would start our lesson by pairing you up. I would call your names randomly and the one I'll call after you would be your pair. And please raise your hand when your name is called"

"Yes" the whole class answered, their voice filled with anticipation and nervousness. I didn't really like the idea of pairing up randomly because I dont want to undergo the process of introducing ourselves again. I just wished that I would be partners with my friends.

"Wooyoung" the teacher called and Wooyoung raised his hand. I waited in anticipation for the teacher to announce his partner, I just wish she would pick me.

"IU" the teacher said and my hopes of not pairing up with a stranger is diminishing at the moment.

"Jiyeon" I looked up again, wishing that I get picked but the teacher knows how to burst my bubble instantly. "JB" she called and there goes my hope.

"Suzy" she called. I raised my hand but I'm not really anticipating to know who my partner would be. "You're partners with" she shuffled our name cards and picked one, I waited nervously. I don't know but I felt something bad is about to happen. "Taecyon" she said. I turned to look for my partner, and yes, my hunch was right. The teacher continued pairing everybody up as I continued to lock eyes with my partner. The fates must be playing a trick on me, huh?

"Now class, sit with your partners and get to know them because they will be your seatmates for the whole school year." I cursed in my head as I heard what the teacher told us. What did I do to deserve this?

"Hey" I looked up. He was smiling at me, that smile that I despise the most. I motioned him to sit beside me before he could notice the awkwardness I was emitting.

"So I guess we should be friends. I'm Ok Taecyon by the way. I know you already know my name because the teacher just told you but I want to introduce myself properly" se said as he held out his hand.

"I'm Suzy" I answered as I shook his hand.

"Oh and please don't be awkward around. I never meant to distract you this morning. Could we just forget about it and start anew?" he asked apologetically. I was taken aback, I suddenly felt guilty for making him sorry about something that is not his fault.

"I'm also sorry for being rude at you. So, friends?" I asked and he nodded happilly.

'I guess he's not that bad' I thought but The Fates had planned that I would regret this encounter someday.