My Burning Determination

In our Next Life

Taecyon:

The competition has started, and I’m so determined to win.  One thing is bothering me though, it was Hyunwoo, he was way smarter than I thought, and smart enough to surpass Suzy no scratch that, Suzy would kill me if she finds out that I’m thinking like that. The thought of Suzy depressed me; she is probably having the time of her life now, now that she has found someone that could be on par with her. “I want someone who can outdo me in Math”, those words came ringing back in my mind which poured fuel to my fire. I would certainly win this match; I cannot let Hyunwoo outshine me.

Suzy:

This competition is definitely the best competition to date. My anger to Taecyon has somehow diminished because if Hyunwoo had been my partner, it would have been and easy and boring match. I certainly need to thank Taecyon for this. Sulli is also smart, way smarter than I thought she is. Now I know why I felt that she and I are similar, beyond that weak image, we certainly have a strength that one cannot easily surpass with us combined, I am certain that we would win this game.

No one’s POV:

The teacher looked curiously at the two teams who had been competing head to head ever since the start of the competition, he knew that no one will back down anytime soon. He heaved a deep sigh and brainstormed about the best question that can finish this competition. Certainly, a quantitative question won’t do any good since that is where the strength of both teams lie, that is when an idea came to his mind. He cleared his throat to get his student’s attention, he smiled as he got their attention almost instantly. The growing anticipation for the words he’s about to utter has started to affect him.

Suzy:

The room is silent, silent enough that we could hear our racing heartbeats. I have never felt this excited and at the same time nervous in my life. Tension filled the room when the teacher began to dictate the question.

“What is the volume of a cone whose base circumference is 21.98cm and a height of 0.15m? And who is the Greek mathematician who said that the square of the hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the two remaining legs? You have 5 minutes to solve and finalize your answers.”

Now, that is something I never expected. I literary cursed upon hearing the second question? Who cares about the person who proposed a principle, when what is important is the knowledge to apply that principle?

Taecyon:

I never expected the final question to be like that, the teacher must have been so bored of this game that he wanted to end it right now. I looked at Hyunwoo who seemed to be lost in a deep thought, I frowned at this sight since this is really not the time to be spacing out. I tapped his shoulder to pull him back from reality, in which I was rewarded with a glare.

“Yah, why did you do that? I was close to figuring out who proposed that theorem, I was right there, standing before him as he ponder for the right equations for the hypotenuse of the right triangle” he exclaimed, obviously annoyed. I smacked his head in annoyance.

“Yah this is not the time to joke like that, we only got like 5 freaking minutes to solve and figure out about that, you’re not a time traveller to see him formulate the Pythagorean Theorem” I retorted. His eyes widened and his lips formed a crazy smile. “That’s it” he exclaimed, which left me all confused. “Pythagorean Theorem, that’s what they call it, so the Greek mathematician’s name is something close to that, stupid” he stated when he saw my confusion. This time I smiled a genuine smile. “I can finally smell victory” I exclaimed.

Suzy:

I finished solving the word problem, the only problem left is the freaking Greek mathematician. I’m beginning to get really annoyed as can’t even remember the name of the theorem. Theorems are named based on those who formulated them, but on this fated day, my memory won’t work. I let out an annoying sigh as I began to felt hopeless. “Hello Defeat” I whispered, that is when I felt a light tap on my shoulder, I looked at Sulli who was smiling brightly at me. “I know the name of the Greek mathematician, I finally remembered” she exclaimed which made me break into a really wide smile. “Now this will be a moment to remember” I uttered and we both smiled as we sensed that victory is near.

No one's POV:

"Time's up" the teacher announced. "Please write your answers on the board."

Sulli and Hyunwoo went on the board to write their respective answers, both having a confident smile. The eyes of the whole class was glued on the board, no one is blinking anytime soon. The teacher smiled as he looked his student's answers, they have different answers, which is really a relief because this competition has finally come to an end. "First I want to congratulate our top two teams for showing us an amazing competition. It is not everyday that I can witness a close competition like this, especially in Math so I'm really proud. But in every competition, there is a winner and loser, for the latter, do not be downed by your lose instead let this be a fuel to set your determination on fire. For the winner, keep it up, and do not let anyone surpass you, do your best at everything." The teacher looked at each competing team and took a deep breath. "Both teams got the correct answer for the Greek mathematician which is Pythagoras. For the word problem, a simple mistake led to the defeat of one team. In Math, you shouldn't lose focus especially when dealing with word problems, I think the losing team focused so much on figuring out who Pythagoras is that they forgot what is important. The answer to the problem is 576.975cm2 ". A scream is heard throughout the room as the students gave a round of applause to the winners.

Suzy:

Sulli and I screamed at the top of our lungs when the teacher announced that we won. It was really a victory that I would remember forever.

"Congratulations for winning again" Taecyon said as he smiled at me bitterly.

"Yah, what's with that smile, its like you really dont mean what you just said" I , Taecyon really hates losing, especially to me.

"Now that is a competition" Hyunwoo exclaimed "I think I'm beginning to like you already"