Letters and Graduation

In our Next Life

 

Another 3months passed and Suzy can’t help but feel disheartened about it. ‘Why does time fly so fast when you’re actually wishing the other way around?’ This question would repeat over and over again but would remain unanswered every time.

Suzy stared at the beautiful scenery which unfolded in front of her. She was on top of the hill again, the hill where she and Taecyon exchanged their promises and promise rings. The memory brought a fleeting smile on her face but then replaced with a bitter smile; she won’t be having that exact same moment with Taecyon the day after tomorrow and for the succeeding tomorrows to come.

“I knew I would find you here” Taecyon’s voice snapped her out from her train of thoughts. She knew that Taecyon would worry if she doesn’t respond fast so she forced a smile and turned to him. The smile though didn’t turn to be as fake as she expected since the moment she met Taecyon’s eyes, her smile turned to be the brightest and most genuine smile she could manage. Taecyon sat beside her and smiled. “You’ve been coming a lot here recently” he said as he eyed her suspiciously.

Suzy smiled and responded, “It’s just that this place helps me clear up my thoughts, this place holds precious memories after all.”

“And what are those thoughts? Is it about the future again?” Taecyon asked trying to sound as betrayed as he could. Suzy gently shook her head.

“I’m not thinking about the future, I’m actually thinking about the opposite” Taecyon looked at her confused. “I’m thinking about the past idiot” Suzy laughed, Taecyon laughed as well as he muttered ‘Sorry’ rather sheepishly. When the laughter died down, Suzy had a distant look in her face.

“It’s nice, us, like this, I want this moment to last forever” she said and Taecyon couldn’t help but notice the sadness in her voice that she’s trying hard to suppress, and he couldn’t find the right words to say. There are times when Taecyon hated himself for not thinking quickly enough, and this is one of those moments, he wanted to take Suzy’s sadness away but he couldn’t form coherent sentences right now, he just sat there mouth opened but to no avail no words came out.

“Yah, you better close your mouth or flies would come in and make that their habitat” she exclaimed as she laughed at her best friend’s still confused face. When she had enough laughing, she stood up and called it a day. Taecyon who is still blanked out followed her suit. “See you tomorrow Taecyon-ah” Suzy said as she began to run down the hill, a tear slipping her eyes. She hated herself for not having the courage to tell Taecyon everything and she hated the fact that tomorrow would be their graduation day, it would be her last day to think things out. She went straight to her bedroom when she arrived home, she picked a ball pen and a paper, and she knew what she has to do.

Taecyon-ah,

I’m sorry for putting this in a note. It’s just that I don’t have the courage to tell you this face to face.

When she finished writing for what seemed like forever, she stared at the letter that is neatly folded in her study table, she smiled a genuine smile. “It’s for the best” she whispered to herself and she turned to prepare herself for bed.

Taecyon stared at his bedroom ceiling, thoughts still on the moment where he found himself useless. Suzy’s sad eyes flashed in his mind, and he cursed for the umpteenth time that day. Graduation would be tomorrow but he doesn’t feel really enthusiastic about it, instead he felt dread, it is as if something would go really wrong tomorrow. He tried to shrug the thought off but he couldn’t, not when Suzy’s distant look whenever the word graduation was brought up flashed in his mind.

Suzy woke up earlier than usual, today is their graduation day, the day for saying goodbyes. Suzy looked at the letter resting in her table, she would be giving that today to Taecyon and she is wishing for the best. She forced herself towards the bathroom and began preparing for the event, it’s not that she’s excited or something, she just wanted this day to end as quickly as it could. When she went out of the bathroom, she saw her mom with her graduation gown, she was smiling at her but Suzy noticed a nervous glint in her eyes but she just shrugged it off as she concluded that it is because she would be making her speech today.

30 minutes before the event starts when Suzy and her family arrived at school, the school was bustling with teachers who are making sure that everything was perfect. Suzy sat in front, followed by Jiyeon and then Taecyon. They were arranged according to their ranks. The program started, and the time came when Suzy was called to deliver her speech. She looked at the crowd in front of her and took a deep breath and began saying the words that the teachers forced her to memorize.

Goodbyes are hard to utter when you know that you mean it and that you’re addressing it to your love ones. Six years of studying here in this school opened my eyes to the world; it was in those six years that I began to understand the words friendship and love. It was also in those six years that I learned how to live without constraints, how to learn to value what’s in the present. To me, it has been the best years of my life and I honestly never want it to end. But then, everything has its ending. Stories end, adventures end and even life would end. Graduation is another word for end but it is also another word for beginning, we begin taking the road to another journey as we say goodbye to the road that we used to take. With another chapter of our lives opening up, I want to say ‘Bon Voyage’ or happy trip to the next chapter of our lives.” A tear fell as she uttered those last sentences, it was not on the script, it was all her thoughts, what she wanted to tell her classmates, her friends. The sound of hands clapping echoed through the auditorium and Suzy can’t help but smile as she noticed some of her friends wiping the tears that are threatening to fall.

“You didn’t mean what you said before right?” Taecyon asked, his tone obviously hoping for Suzy to say yes but it came out as the opposite as she responded with “I meant it”.

“But were still enrolling to the same school for high school, so how come you meant that goodbye?”

“Here” Suzy answered as she handed him the letter. “Read it when you get home, it has all my answers.” Taecyon looked at the letter and at Suzy, he noticed the distant look in her eyes, the emotions that she’s suppressing for the past months is finally showing clearly in her face, dread came over him as curiosity about what is in the letter flood him. Suzy began to leave but then stopped and looked at the dumbfounded Taecyon “Taecyon-ah, when we meet again, promise me you’ll smile for me” she exclaimed and that brought a smile to Taecyon’s face, it’s her way of reassuring him that they would see each other again.

 

_______________________________

A/N: Crappy chapter, I know but I'm currently having a writer's block please bear with me...and also, I kinda sticked to our education system which is six years in middle school and 4 years high school since I dont really know the education system in Korea...I hope you would tell me what you think and tell me what to improve because I know I at writing...